#46 Antika

Antika

Roleplay Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

Good luck, Discord!

Also, aren't bananas great? I love bananas. Eat two before your training and you're gonna be fiiiine~!

#47 Diremast

Diremast

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

I am a fighter by nature I would say, I have mainly practiced Kickboxing at a regular level and at a competing level. For me the ultimate workout routine is when I take a trip down to attend some kickboxing classes. Punching, kicking and combining them both leaves me panting from air more than running the mile either outside or in the gym have ever done. But I think part of it is because of my passion with the sport, it makes me push myself so much harder than I ever would on the treadmill.

Other than that I have lately been focusing on running actually since I'm joining the army (in about a week now) and that is something that we will most likely be spending a lot of time doing. I personally hate running (not really hate but) however every time I'm done with my running workout I feel awesome like I can outrun anything!

I mainly train at gyms but you well never see my lifting weights. Never had any passion for it. I like to use my body as my weight with pushups, situps, flutter kicks, pull ups and all that fun stuff.

Well that's about it. I've never been one for the planning much, I usually just hit the gym with the only goal to leave in pain. 

You find it concerning that one of my greatest passions in life is hitting other people in the face? I agree. 

And yes Antika I love bananas, however it's not due to all the vitamins and stuff they contain. I mainly just like to put long and slightly curved items in my mouth as much as I can. 

• Antika likes this

#48 Antika

Antika

Roleplay Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

. . .

Well that's about it. I've never been one for the planning much, I usually just hit the gym with the only goal to leave in pain. 

You find it concerning that one of my greatest passions in life is hitting other people in the face? I agree. 

And yes Antika I love bananas, however it's not due to all the vitamins and stuff they contain. I mainly just like to put long and slightly curved items in my mouth as much as I can. 

Agreed.

Agreed.

Ah--a...  :smile1:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've been barely sleeping this week and although today was work-out day, I didn't work-out. Which now makes me feel bad, but it's too late now and this weekend I will be busy every minute of it so I can't do it then.

I know it would've felt much better to simply go and do an hour work-out at least, but even though I skipped... I will try to get as much sleep as I can tonight. Because I need it.

#49 odium.

odium.

ETERNAL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts
  • LocationFuck jazz, too.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

Flutter kickssssssssssssssssss

I'm dying, lmfaooooooo

If one thing's for certain I'm still searching for the person

kai3.png

inside of me who might be perfect.

#50 Diremast

Diremast

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:20 AM

Flutter kickssssssssssssssssss

I'm dying, lmfaooooooo

Ain't nothing wrong with flutter kicks, and of course you always do them with the four count or you're a wuss :D

#51 Antika

Antika

Roleplay Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

HO-HO-HO!

Ten kilometers walk to go and buy a wine box. The reason might not been that good, but the walk felt good. At least half of it.

It was between -5 and -10. My face has yet to warm up.

• Fallen Joy likes this

#52 TheCHAMP

TheCHAMP

Roleplay Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

When I'm busy with work and in 'chill' mode, over the course of a week, I train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for 7-10 hours, Muay Thai for 1-2 hours, in addition to 6-10 hours of weight lifting. But when things simmer down, I plan to be revamping my schedule so I get to train more. I get all antsy with all this pent up energy inside me, but the goal is to eventually (after March at the latest) train 14-16 hours BJJ, 4 hours Muay Thai, and 6-10 hours weight lifting. Maybe I'll incorporate some yoga in there, but we'll just have to see!

#53 Antika

Antika

Roleplay Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

How's everyone doing? Today I had my first run outside because the snow is finally gone (and I don't have shoes to run out on the snow, nor the money for them). I have been going to the gym during the winter but I was seriously afraid I'd fail miserably on my first run outside because... Well, it is quite different.

However, it turned out great. I ran 5km today and did a bunch of leg exercises when I got back home. All in all, I had a non-stop 1h 30min workout which makes me feel wonderful. Now I have to turn to my mountain of homework. But... Yeah, SO HAPPY.

Also, found the best motivation picture:
ryan.jpeg

#54 Malum

Malum

The Canadian

• Members
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

(this post was originally to showcase two pics, lol)

Not really exercise related but definitely health related. Actually, why don't I intro this by highlighting why I'm making diet changes. Probably good to note that when I say diet I don't mean any particular program or necessarily eating less rather general eating habits and what food is consumed.

So I don't actually really care much (if at all) about the appearance of my physique. Changes I've made and will make to my diet are more performance oriented. As I push my body harder I become more sensitive to the foods I consume. Consuming X while sedentary or during mild training might be fine, but when I'm pushing myself I feel like X is harming performance whether it be recovery, fatigue, or something else. So I've been making minor changes over time which have also caused me to drop about 10lbs with most else being relatively equal.

In no particular order . . .

1. Portion control - I tend to chew more thoroughly and resist gorging myself unless I'm being particularly gluttonous. I'll sometimes see people eat until they're as full as possible. I'll eat enough to satisfy the hunger urge and then usually stop and maybe save the rest for later. The thing about consuming food, I've found, is that at a certain point increasing quantity won't be any more efficient at reducing the hunger. Eating, say, 70% of what I would have and then waiting twenty minutes tends to have the same effect as if I ate the full 100%. I'll sometimes round off the end of the meal with some fruit or something if I want a little extra. I find the sweetness of the fruit cuts the craving that comes from the really robust flavour of a meaty and salty meal. Alone, of course, the fruit is completely insufficient for me, but at the end I've found it helps.

2. Milk - So I used to be a voracious milk drinker. I'd have 6 large mugs of milk/chocolate milk a day on top of cereal and perhaps other things. I went through milk like crazy. Then I started trying alternatives. Didn't like coconut milk. Didn't like almond milk. BUT there was a coconut-almond milk mix that I found that was close enough to normal milk that I converted. Problem is, it was pricey.

So I started making my own . . . the ghetto way. This isn't the way it should be made but I did it anyway and I love it. Kamilla isn't a fan but she doesn't really drink milk anyway.

Two table spoons almond butter, 3-4 dates to sweeten (I hate dates but can't taste them in this really), and 4 cups of water.

Price for 1.89L in store: $4+
Price for 1.89L home made: ~$1.60

amilk_zps5601ea04.jpg

3. Sweets (chocolate, mostly) - This one was also really tough, especially if I smoke, cuz . . . yeah. My parents also worked at Mr. Christie's so I've been conditioned to favour cookies since I was a kid and have never really shook that off. I still eat them today but less often. These days I make oat bran, which is kind of like oat meal but I personally like a lot better, and make it with cocoa, brown sugar, and coconut shavings. I'll add sprinkles if my sweet tooth is really strong that day. It's still a sugary meal (one tablespoon), but you also get the benefit of all the nutrients in the oat bran which is a plus. It's also quick and probably the easiest thing to make.

4. Bread - I'm currently working on reducing my bread intake. I switched to whole grains a long time ago but any grain is likely too much grain (not literally, but mostly). I wanted to cut down on the bread intake so I switched to a pita for a lower bread:sandwich-contents. I tried something today, though, that was actually delicious and will probably serve as my substitute from now on.

pepperwich_zps5cb7e534.jpg

Just take whatever I have lying around and toss it in some bell peppers. In this case it's leftover taco meat with peppercorn goat cheese on top and a salad on the side. It was really good.

5. Water -- New year's resolution was simple: drink more water. I haven't tracked how much I drink each day but I actively remind myself to grab a couple sips from the fountain periodically at work as well as have a pint or two after work and before jiu jitsu. It's pretty much eliminated my need to have water while training no matter how gassed or sweaty I get and I perform way better.

I also don't drink that much anymore and definitely don't get drunk nearly as often. I can't even remember the last time I bought alcohol.

So yeah . . . just thought I'd throw some of these things out there. They're totally anecdotal but I've noticed some major differences in my performance.

Things I still need to work on: salt. Still can't shake the insane salt addiction I have. I've toned it down a bit with the portion control but since I started drinking more water my craving for salt has shot through the roof. I assume my body is used to running a particular concentration (which was definitely sub-optimal) and diluting that via hydrating is causing my body to want to return to the condition state it's used to operating under. Just an assumption but definitely not an unreasonable one.

• supernal, Antika and Discord like this
"Never sacrifice what you want for what you want right now." -- James Owen

#55 Antika

Antika

Roleplay Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

That looks yummy!

I think that most people think that "giving up" a certain food is the end of the world. But you don't have to give it up! Simply put more time on other delicious things and come back to the less healthy things... less often.

- - - -

Sigh woke up today and there's a bunch of snow. It was spring just yesterday! Anyway, I can still run on the highway but goddarnit I was so happy it was spring.

Edited by Antika, 15 March 2014 - 09:19 AM.

• Malum likes this

#56 Discord

Discord

Master of Chaos

• Members
  • 2,527 posts
  • LocationGreat Falls, Montana

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

I've been cutting out bread completely. Did it for a year once, doing it again. Been living on hummus, water, fresh veggies and fruits. 

Also joined the local gym, and joined My Fitness Pal. (Strict 1200 calorie diet)

So far, I've lost a little over ten pounds without exercising. 

That'll change though. Also, if you have to have sweet stuff to drink, switch to tea. I'm cutting out tons of sodium too. 

Edited by Discord, 15 March 2014 - 09:30 AM.

• Malum and Antika like this

#57 Antika

Antika

Roleplay Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hmm I need to cut back on beer and wine. ...Maybe all alcohol.  :oh:

#58 Discord

Discord

Master of Chaos

• Members
  • 2,527 posts
  • LocationGreat Falls, Montana

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

I think people that say they, "can't lose weight," haven't applied themselves enough. They eat foods they don't count, or "ignore," and keep wondering why their waist size stays the same.

Always amuses me when women go, "But I have a thyroid problem, Deviant!" I have to shake my head, because I have -none- and still manage to regulate it with two pills a day and still lose! Having no thyroid is a helluva lot harder to maintain, then when you actually have one that can regulate some of the job for you. Harsh reality, but I look at a lot of adults my age and they drink heavy ("Party") or eat tons of junk and don't count pop, candy and extra stuff. I think a majority sees that as "extra calories," or maybe empty...who knows. 

It's all about personal discipline and how much you really want to change your body image. 

I'm not perfect...hell, I'm too embarrassed right now to give my weight, but I am definitely not a model size, or an expert this, or that. I prefer to remain humble about it all.

Edited by Discord, 15 March 2014 - 06:37 PM.

• Malum, Acies ab Vesania and Nogusta like this

#59 Antika

Antika

Roleplay Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

I truly don't feel like judging people before actually knowing the facts about their problems. Of course that someone who whines about their weight 24/7 is truly annoying, but who knows? Maybe they do have a problem, after all. Having emotional troubles can be a big hinder to some and there are physical conditions that make it hard to be very active.

Now, it is also important to think that you aren't changing to get to the point where you like yourself. You actually have to start off with liking yourself or else you'll stay unsatisfied for the rest of your life.

Positive feedback is VITAL. If someone says "I've walked 5km today, I am gonna get donuts." you aren't allowed to say "You really think that's a good idea?". And why? Because
1) It's a dickmove and a complete waste of oxygen.

2) Negative feedback isn't helpful if the person in question hasn't asked it from you before.
Instead, you go "That is GREAT, keep up the good work!"

Though I do have to admit I would enjoy having someone running after me roaring "YOU THINK YOU DONE? YOU'RE NOWHERE DONE!", mostly because it would entertain me a lot, I have to say that it wouldn't work half as well as it does to sit during breakfast and hear a "Oh, I saw you were out running this morning. You're amazing!". Glee and more gleeeee!

Never stop giving positive feedback to people who are trying.

#60 Malum

Malum

The Canadian

• Members
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Well made points. There are a couple people at my gym that are in a state of ketosis which means they've reduced their carb intake to the point where the body begins deriving energy from fats (might be another compound other than glucose /unsure). The mechanism isn't clear to me yet, I have a bunch of peer-reviewed articles on it that I haven't had a chance to read thoroughly.

My initial thought was: That's excessive and probably not a good idea.

My next thought was: I actually don't know anything about this so I should probably learn a bit before I say anything.

My next thought was: Huh. Definitely not for me but this is kind of interesting. Still not really convinced.

And what I said was: "Hey Steve, how's the diet working?" He said it was going really well and I said, "Awesome!"

Any time someone does something a little different, everyone else becomes an expert, usually stemming from unquestioned tradition (something that extends far beyond this topic). If the person is in fact doing something detrimental it might be beneficial to offer gentle guidance rather than judgmental criticism assuming you do know, and not just think you know, what you're talking about. Sometimes what's really needed is some encouragement or even positive acknowledgement to help keep people on track toward desired outcomes that are, hopefully, healthy.

"Never sacrifice what you want for what you want right now." -- James Owen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users