Voting has reset for the month of December. Valucre is in the top 10 but we need to be in the top 3 if we want visitors to the topsite to see us the moment they land on the home page. So if you want to help new members discover Valucre, then vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

• Announcements

• supernal

Vote for Valucre [January]   01/01/2017

Voting for the month of January is open on TopRPSites! Vote for Valucre daily and help new members searching for a place to roleplay discover the same joys you have in Valucre. You can vote daily, so make voting for Valucre a habit. Discussion thread
supernal

First Impressions

237 posts in this topic

I joined yesterday with my friend, TrinityGAME. (I'm sure anyone who decides to talk to him will either hate or love him right off the bat. I digress.) Honestly, the layout of the site is what got me to at least consider looking at the site. It's well done and not very cluttered. I tell you this as a web and game designer myself (even if I'm still in high. My school offers a lot of opportunities. Again, I digress). Then Trinity mentioned the fact that your site has character sheets and that's what sold me. I'm a fan of Pathfinder and D&D so of course, anything that relates to those, besides the obvious, are going to make me want to use it. (Also for the convenience of making characters on them.) Speaking of Pathfinder, my girlfriend is the one I learned it from and I'm sure she'd want to use this site, as well. Anyway, I digress. I also like the amount of lore there is. This site is honestly immense in terms of its lore. 

One thing I've found that I don't like, since I am not a fan of writing (maybe sometimes but i have to get into it and like binge write in order to write any essays or things of the like), is the average size of posts. I understand that if there were people typing a five word post every single time, it would get really frustrating and that's why (probably) you have incorporated a minimum amount of words per post. (At least that's what it is if I'm understanding things correctly.)

In any case, I now welcome myself and any friends I may bring, into this wonderful community. Thank you for creating something I can get really, really distracted by (especially if it has notifications. That's another thing, this site has notification sounds and/or messages. :D). 

supernal and Caesias like this

A friend recommended this site to me as a buffer for times of writing cramps. Which I am currently in.

I am very new to role playing sites such as here. The format seems clean and somewhat easy to read and follow along. However, the issue of joining into a thread is a mystery for me. I do not understand what I need to do to create threads or organize my writing. I am very willing to learn and look forward to the experience. I have tried reading the support threads provided by the staff, which were very informative and useful. But I am still at a lost with the overall formatting of the site. I am more use to being the sole author as I'm sure most of those here wold understand. I also am uncomfortable relinquishing control, but I hope to change that through what I may learn here. I look forward to the writing that's to come.

Pleasant writing - kloudv

Edited by kloudv
supernal likes this

On 11/14/2016 at 2:59 AM, kloudv said:

A friend recommended this site to me as a buffer for times of writing cramps. Which I am currently in.

I am very new to role playing sites such as here. The format seems clean and somewhat easy to read and follow along. However, the issue of joining into a thread is a mystery for me. I do not understand what I need to do to create threads or organize my writing. I am very willing to learn and look forward to the experience. I have tried reading the support threads provided by the staff, which were very informative and useful. But I am still at a lost with the overall formatting of the site. I am more use to being the sole author as I'm sure most of those here wold understand. I also am uncomfortable relinquishing control, but I hope to change that through what I may learn here. I look forward to the writing that's to come.

Pleasant writing - kloudv

Thank you for the feedback!

In order to create a thread, you simply go to the board where you want your character to be and create a thread there. For example, if you read through Terrenus lore and thought that Ignatz seems like a fun place to write in, you go to the Terrenus section > Cities > Ignatz and hit the "start a new topic button". Then you just make a post and invite other people to play in it, or use the tag system to tag it as Open, and so on. 

A more detailed version of this explanation can be found at the top of our RP FAQ: http://www.valucre.com/lore.html/resources/general/roleplay-faq

You would use our water cooler board to advertise your thread, like "My ranger in Ignatz needs a partner!" or "Looking for a small group for fantasy roleplay" or something like that and link to the thread, which people could then read about and join. Or you can see what other people are recruiting for and join one of their threads. 

Let me know if that helps or if you have more questions. 

I'm extremely new to this site (less than a week), but already I'm feeling fairly at home with how the site is set up; the layout is pretty clean, which is saying something with all of the different aspects of the site that are available, and the people are really helpful and have a lot of useful advice on how to use the site, etc.  There are a lot of really user-friendly parts, including the Tavern of Legend for people who are new to all this (including me), and the mods/supervisors seem to be really involved.  This is the best rp site I've found so far: I took a lot of time to look this place over before I signed up, and I definitely think I made a good choice.

supernal and Cordeliane like this

I'm new to the whole rp thing. I had a bit of trouble reading a couple articles,  but I think that was my phones fault. So far I've only been on this site for 2 days, but I love it. It's a great way to write creatively.  I also like the fact there are other people to help figure things out, everyone seems to be polite and considerate.  

Amazing site! I plan on writing here for a long time.

Well.. I just joined yesterday and already don't have enough to post on. xP I have already invited several friends onto the site, Hoping to start quests with them soon. I kinda feel just a tad lonely. But I'm also aware that I'm way to enthusiastic and probably just had my hopes battered. This is more than I thought it could be... But also different. If anyone here is looking for a friend, I'm here for you. :D

Edited by Ghuji

I have tortured myself over and over again by viewing various roleplaying sites (which were extremely disorganized and outdated) that could not live up to my, slightly unreasonably, high expectations. I found this site via Google, occasionally the search engine tends to be helpful, and decided to investigate. After making an account and exploring this site, I found myself enjoying it very much. It is extremely well thought out, and up to date. It is clear that plenty of work has been put into Valurce to make it operate so well. I hope to meet many here, and hopefully this site will feel like a 'home' of sorts, as a roleplay community should be.

I am not new to roleplay, nor am I new to roleplay sites/forum roleplaying. To both, though, I am returning after a rather lengthily hiatus. I hope all will be able to 'deal' with me as I regain my bearings once more. I have always had a passion for roleplaying, for I have always loved creating a new story, of sorts, with others who typically wish to do the same. 

As far as I can tell, this community seems to hold much promise, and I am beyond thrilled to see what is to come in the near future. Now, I am off to read a bit more of the lore here.

I am beyond ecstatic to see what the future has in store.

supernal and Ange V. Nettle like this

4 minutes ago, Caesias said:

I have tortured myself over and over again by viewing various roleplaying sites (which were extremely disorganized and outdated) that could not live up to my, slightly unreasonably, high expectations. I found this site via Google, occasionally the search engine tends to be helpful, and decided to investigate. After making an account and exploring this site, I found myself enjoying it very much. It is extremely well thought out, and up to date. It is clear that plenty of work has been put into Valurce to make it operate so well. I hope to meet many here, and hopefully this site will feel like a 'home' of sorts, as a roleplay community should be.

I am not new to roleplay, nor am I new to roleplay sites/forum roleplaying. To both, though, I am returning after a rather lengthily hiatus. I hope all will be able to 'deal' with me as I regain my bearings once more. I have always had a passion for roleplaying, for I have always loved creating a new story, of sorts, with others who typically wish to do the same. 

As far as I can tell, this community seems to hold much promise, and I am beyond thrilled to see what is to come in the near future. Now, I am off to read a bit more of the lore here.

I am beyond ecstatic to see what the future has in store.

I, for one, am absolutely delighted that Valucre has managed to make such a good first impression. It pleases me to no end that the work that I, my team, and the members of the site have put into creating, maintaining, and progressing the site is evident to new comers. 

You'll find that, as a whole, Valucre has a very helpful community that's tolerant of mistakes (as opposed to repeated malicious behavior). We're writers and artists here, and I think everyone gets that what you put out isn't always your magnum opus and may require a revision or modification here or there. Sometimes details are missed despite our best intentions. Now that's not to say Valucre is a utopia. We have our share of black sheep, members that don't break the rules but could stand to be more supportive of members new and old. But as a whole, yeah, I think we've got us a pretty good spot here.

If you find yourself with any questions, feel free to send me a PM. I'm happy to help. 

Edited by supernal
Caesias likes this

Greetings.

So... recently, I started to have an interest in role-playing after discovering a really neat Fantasy RP group in DA. At first, I wanted to join the group. But alas, the group currently isn't accepting new members at the moment. Knowing that I couldn't wait for the group to open up again (I'm not even sure if they'll open anytime soon, since it's already packed with members), I decided to check out other RP groups and sites that have the same quality as the said group - but to no avail. 

After years hours of searching, I finally found this site which was on the top list of TopRPSites' Fantasy genre. From the very first moment I got here, it's clear to me that Valucre is really a great site for fantasy role-playing and I hope that I'll have a fun time here with the other members as well! :)

Fun fact: I noticed that this community uses IPS as its software, which is a service that I'm well-acquainted and well-adjusted with. (Another reason why I like this site so much.)

2 hours ago, izscha said:

Greetings.

So... recently, I started to have an interest in role-playing after discovering a really neat Fantasy RP group in DA. At first, I wanted to join the group. But alas, the group currently isn't accepting new members at the moment. Knowing that I couldn't wait for the group to open up again (I'm not even sure if they'll open anytime soon, since it's already packed with members), I decided to check out other RP groups and sites that have the same quality as the said group - but to no avail. 

After years hours of searching, I finally found this site which was on the top list of TopRPSites' Fantasy genre. From the very first moment I got here, it's clear to me that Valucre is really a great site for fantasy role-playing and I hope that I'll have a fun time here with the other members as well! :)

Fun fact: I noticed that this community uses IPS as its software, which is a service that I'm well-acquainted and well-adjusted with. (Another reason why I like this site so much.)

The Staff, over the YEARS, have been breaking their chops to get things in order over here at Valucre. Right now, as we speak, someone on Staff is researching on how to add new colors, or how to improve the speed of the site being accessed via mobile. They are ALWAYS trying to keep improving upon the site and with the recent site maintenance, I am sure that everyone will ENJOY the look, the crispness and the navigation of Valucre for many years to come. As they keep updating it with a lot of COOL features!!! We hope you make Valucre your new home for RP!!!

Benny

Well I spent my first couple of weeks just stalking the boards and reading articles. Not on a regular basis sense the holidays where keeping me busy but I enjoy everything I've found here so far. I have more time now that my family won't be around again tell next year and am really enjoying getting my feet in the water of RP again.

This site has impressed me not only with the interesting, massive and well organized lore for the world but also on a more nuts and bolts level. The forum is well organized and easy to navigate, the admins and mods step in when needed but allow the community to self regulate first, and most importantly to me personally the rule set for the world is very loose and open to a extremely wide range of characters but still prevents "god-mode" 

Then there is the community here. It's awesome, most people seem friendly and helpful. I've even had a member reach out to me with links to useful information and helpful advice on the world and the character I'm working on. Plus the idea behind the ToL is ingenious and is helping me get back into the rythom without having to commit to a character.

Anyway the overall impression has been extremely positive and I plan on staying with this community a good long while.

supernal likes this

Knowing this is meant to 'develop strengths and fix weaknesses' I wish I could find something that needs fixing or improvement, but I didn't. The layout is really nice and having just made a character and started roleplaying at the tavern, I did notice most people are incredibly helpful and welcoming. As others have said, the idea behind the tavern is great and also helps a lot, I've been having quite some fun RPing with other beginners over there and I feel like after 90 days I'll most probably be ready to go a bit further. Also, that Getting Started thing did wonders to me.

I might also have sent PMs to a few of you in the last few days with questions and all, none have gone unanswered, with a lot of help both from players and moderators. I really do have to praise the staff over here! And players.

This being my first time really participating in a forum of any kind, when I wrote my character sheet I expected it to turn a lot worse than it did, so the tools are very intuitive. Most of the time I have quite some fun using fonts and sizes.

There's also the huge amount of lore that really helps making a character. At first I was a bit afraid of making something weird since I couldn't find anything about races so I made a human, but after reading a bit further, especially Genesaris and Union Capital, my chosen place of origin for my first character, I noticed that fear was unfounded, maybe I'll make something a bit different later down the road.

Overall, my first impressions are that it's even better than I had anticipated and so far I've been having a lot of fun. Thanks!

Grimmholt and supernal like this