Voting has reset for the month of December. Valucre is in the top 10 but we need to be in the top 3 if we want visitors to the topsite to see us the moment they land on the home page. So if you want to help new members discover Valucre, then vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

• Announcements

• supernal

Vote for Valucre [January]   01/01/2017

Voting for the month of January is open on TopRPSites! Vote for Valucre daily and help new members searching for a place to roleplay discover the same joys you have in Valucre. You can vote daily, so make voting for Valucre a habit. Discussion thread
supernal

First Impressions

237 posts in this topic

The quality of the roleplay here is top-notch and the effort that players put in is evident.

To a newcomer to the site like me who has some previous experience with other roleplay forums, this site is very friendly in terms of starting out. What I mean is that things like character sheets being ultimately optional though encouraged and the default status of threads as open to anyone joining in make this place feel more welcoming. This is important because otherwise, the vastness and the quantity of information lying around can put some pressure on a newcomer and make them worry about breaking some obscure rule or custom they didn’t read about before. So, this is a pleasant surprise and a differentiator from other sites.

Finally, the technology level is somewhat jarring; for example the fluff for Terrenus creates an impression of a medieval or renaissance era society, albeit with magic dramatically enhancing quality of life, but then I read a thread and there are fighter jets!
supernal and vTrifonic like this

[quote name='Albedo']The quality of the roleplay here is top-notch and the effort that players put in is evident.

To a newcomer to the site like me who has some previous experience with other roleplay forums, this site is very friendly in terms of starting out. What I mean is that things like character sheets being ultimately optional though encouraged and the default status of threads as open to anyone joining in make this place feel more welcoming. This is important because otherwise, the vastness and the quantity of information lying around can put some pressure on a newcomer and make them worry about breaking some obscure rule or custom they didn’t read about before. So, this is a pleasant surprise and a differentiator from other sites.

Finally, the technology level is somewhat jarring; for example the fluff for Terrenus creates an impression of a medieval or renaissance era society, albeit with magic dramatically enhancing quality of life, but then I read a thread and there are fighter jets![/QUOTE]

Hi there. Creator of Terrenus here to address all your concerns! Before I just jump right into it, I'm wondering if you've had a chance to read the Technology section of the Terran FAQ and, if not, if reading it has helped to clear up any confusion?: [url]http://www.valucre.com/showthread.php/15016-Terrenus-FAQ[/url]

This website is definitely the best I have experienced so far in all my time roleplaying (about 3 years now) the last website I was on was filled with so many beginner and illiterate people it became almost impossible to write any good, substantial material. Here it is much different. From what I have seen, you would be able to make a post and not have to worry about a less experienced player (for lack of a better word; a noob) diminishing the quality of what you were trying to write.

Another part of Valucre I really enjoy is the vastness of the canon. Its really great the actions of a group of people can change the entire world and the land and lore are constantly because of players actions. I can’t wait to get started on my first post for this amazing place (I just have to decide where in the vast lands to start).
supernal likes this

I have had an entire day to read, absorb and write. So far everything is fantastic.

I felt completely overwhelmed when I first arrived and registered. I wasn't sure what I was getting in to and if I could even make the commitment to something this immense. The first email I received introducing me and suggesting various threads to read was an enormous help. I doubt I could have found that information on my own and possibly would never have continued on my journey.

Additionally, everyone has been very supportive and friendly - which is amazing. Very rarely do I see more than one person acknowledge a newbie in a introduction thread. Even more rare are actual posts that go beyond the one sentence "glad to have you" or some other short variation.

Last, while the roleplaying is not nearly what I expected (having come from a D&D background from years ago) I am finding it, in my two or three posts, extremely gratifying. To me, this isn't about rolling a dice to see if you unlocked the door, this is taking my imagination and creating a story - except I get to do it with others. Thank god, because I would normally not have the patience or the determination to do something on my own for so long. It is like a giant open source book that never ends.

I don't have a lot of expectations except to find some enjoyment and find a part of my life that I feel I have missed for a while. If that happens, I will be very fortunate. So far, I think I have found what I am looking for.

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=#4b0082][FONT=century gothic]To be honest I was a little skeptical in joining this site. See, I have been to a lot of sites. I have had to deal with people who metagame, they god-mode, they mix, and it has put me off role-playing to be honest. But I joined this site anyways with the promise that this was not the place where such things happened. So I joined to see what this place was all about, Like the others have said, I was totally overwhelmed. I had no Idea where to begin, or what to do first. Of course I started with the whole say hello thread. I thought it a good start seeing as I had seen everyone else make one. A wonderful lady by the name of Dy sown me what threads to check out, which ones I should start my own in and so on. She was the one really to convince me to join. [/FONT]

[FONT=century gothic]I watched the role-play for a while. I am glad to say that there are some amazing writers on this place. I felt a bit scared actually seeing as I am no where -NEAR- as talented as the rest of you, so as for myself have not quite taken the plunge yet to start in a role-play. For now I merely watch, and enjoy others amazing writing. (I will joining some role-play here shortly of course) It looks like a wonderful place here, where one can freely show their creativity without getting attacked or told they are wrong for doing such a thing. That in itself is a wonderful ting to find, and hard to find elsewhere.

As for the people here, well I find they are all very charming. I was welcomed by many people, who were all very nice and eager to help. That's such a nice thing to see. It is wonderful to meet people who are willing to write and work together top bring a story to it's full potential, and not sit around and bicker about what to do next which gets you no where. I love the people here, and the friends I have made here. This is the most awesome place and I really do hope you guys keep up the good work. I love this place :3 I know for sure I shall be referring others here :3[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE] Edited by Lunae Eitan

Hi Hikari. You ought to already have a PM in your inbox from Hiss, that should help you greatly in terms of first questions. It'll direct you to the New Members area, and you can make a thread there to get a welcome from the community, or check out the Training Room that has some Q&A threads.

[quote name='Clay']I have had an entire day to read, absorb and write. So far everything is fantastic.

I felt completely overwhelmed when I first arrived and registered. I wasn't sure what I was getting in to and if I could even make the commitment to something this immense. The first email I received introducing me and suggesting various threads to read was an enormous help. I doubt I could have found that information on my own and possibly would never have continued on my journey.

Additionally, everyone has been very supportive and friendly - which is amazing. Very rarely do I see more than one person acknowledge a newbie in a introduction thread. Even more rare are actual posts that go beyond the one sentence "glad to have you" or some other short variation.

Last, while the roleplaying is not nearly what I expected (having come from a D&D background from years ago) I am finding it, in my two or three posts, extremely gratifying. To me, this isn't about rolling a dice to see if you unlocked the door, this is taking my imagination and creating a story - except I get to do it with others. Thank god, because I would normally not have the patience or the determination to do something on my own for so long. It is like a giant open source book that never ends.

I don't have a lot of expectations except to find some enjoyment and find a part of my life that I feel I have missed for a while. If that happens, I will be very fortunate. So far, I think I have found what I am looking for.[/QUOTE]

It's just getting incredibly stupid, how glad I am that this guy found this site.

The first impression? Most of the newbie roleplayers here seem to be drawn into the "Oh we'll help you. <3" Kind of attitude.

But this is simply an impression that many forums tend to give off. Now I remember RPing here and seeing most "High Rankers" as I call them because I can, have a typical typing style, so I wasn't impressed. I also remember when I gave advice to someone who wanted to make a mage...then an idiot saying that no mana should be included.

Most Roleplayers would have disregarded the moderator's existance, since let's not forget Roleplay originated from D&D (Love it or hate it, I don't care) and the Mages were strictly made to rely on Mana at ALL times during combat. :I Gives a proper disadvantage.

But of course, since the impression here does give a sense of "Do whatever the fuck you want." I can see why some moderators are a bit clueless as to how roleplay works.

Last Refuge of Writers? Nay. Last Refuge of Mary-Sues is more like it.

Oh and for those who complain about my sig's size. :I Fix your forum settings for profiles and put a limit on the size. It's not that hard to work an HTML...especially for you, Administrator.

The layout is nice, a few potential roleplayers here and there. Elitist pretending to not be elitist (Controversial Trolls) And the moderators are sloppy at their jobs.

Got something to say about my opinion? Please, feel free to PM (Or PMS) about it.

Except the flamboyant ones. Their ignorance is just as bad as Christians. :I

Well, you DID say you were a cynical individual in your welcoming thread a little while ago! It sounds like you have a really negative take on the site, a lot of anecdotal evidence and namecalling in your post points to it anyway, but you registered two months ago, and the fact your status says "is gone" when you are in fact not leads me to believe you've come back just to express your distaste.

Fair enough, and everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, and naturally this isn't the first someone hasn't liked the site as there is no such thing as a utopia or one-size fits all. In terms of sloppy moderation, I would love some examples and your thoughts on where you think processes could improve, but please refrain from simply making inflammatory statements.

If you're wondering why we don't hard code a limit into signatures, as you've pointed out we try not to be too restrictive with our members and try not to let outliers, especially those that go out of your way as you seem to be doing with your request to remove your signature in your signature field, dictate the progress of the system. That said if the way you're acting now is any indication of how you intend to continue acting on the site, administrative action will eventually be taken against you. From the perspective you painted above I don't think you'll really care, but I don't want it to be a surprise if/when it happens.

As per your request, I have removed your signature.
Rounini and Ruski like this

Things tend to change in two months, a lot more than anticipated as time tends to move fast nowadays. Not entirely a negative view, more of a formulated opinion of what I have witnessed so far. But why are you feeling for the anecdotal "evidence" and the name *calling to post "points" as you assume?

As for the status, quite old, will change it in a minute.

And although the invention of a utopia is nonexistent (as far as us humans know), the very loose leash tends to make things very bland and distasteful in the potential of roleplayers. That is my opinion of course.

And I challenge the administrator as I always do, for host or not, the respect should be earned.

Again, my opinion~

I'll admit, I was really nervous when first joining (which was yesterday, actually XD). I'm just scared I was going to do something wrong, or I'd mess up an RP, or I'd godmod, etc... but dang it, Valucre is definetely THE BEST RP site. People are helpful, friendly, and the writing here is generally really, really good. I hope that you admins *thumbs up* will keep it up, this is something I'm going to stick to! GREAT JOB! I think I like this place already ;)

This is an inflammatory, hate filled, post. Certainly and indubitably this is full of bad things, foul language, obscene images, regarding fictional or real characters. User discretion is not advised, for children under a century old, immature audience, and only view-able with child approval for adults.

Random bantering of weird and nonsensical things aside, let's get down to all the slamming and V-bashing. Actually like the word V-bashing, any can be made to sound cool if you put "bashing" after it. Star-bashing, bash-bashing. Getting a little more serious I need to give a fair warning that my views are those of a sideline observer. Been busy this past month, and I tend to start socializing a little slower then most people. So with not so much implication and more observing this is what I can say for real about Val.

What came to my attention immediately about Val is the quality of the staff. Now I do not know of any scandals, arguments, personal hatreds or vendettas, but my own experience regarding how I had to register to the site and my other short interactions with them, have left me with a very nice impression. From my point of view the staff tries to be nice and helpful, given they all have personal lives and live in various time zones, while still having to enforce the rules and make sure everyone gets along nicely. To receive a positive response to your inquiries no matter how weird or stupid they might be, as I have, well for me it goes a long way.

Forum wise, I am so very pleasantly surprised on how smooth and easy Val runs. I have seen my share of large roleplaying communities and few run so smooth. I think everyone can appreciate this enough so that I do not need to go into details. The auto-save feature while typing for example has saved my posts many times because of a miss-click in the wrong place, and many more. Worth mentioning that many of the extra features of the site are great, and it really only leaves me with only one single problem/complaint. That is private message conversations. I do know Val has a conversation system, which is viewable and public, but I would've liked to see something similar implemented for private messages, in order to keep all my private messages with a certain person grouped together. For me it would help with keeping track of things, as I do not like to see an inbox filled with a dozens on dozens of PMs all with the same person on the same subject. Now talk with 4 persons in PMs, and I would have problems keeping up. Just to point it out, I know I would be recommended to use the conversation system, but I only ask: what if I want it to be private? Offer me a solution and I am gonna be happy.

Moving on to the second most important part of Valucre, the Roleplaying part. Why second most important? I consider the community itself to be the most important part, after the people does roleplaying come in importance. As far as roleplaying goes, it is a pleasure to read many of the on-going roleplaying. People have great ideas, and there are quite a good number of quality writers. It is refreshing to see long detailed posts, compared to short, chat-like ones, I saw in so many places. The way Valucre has been thought, to offer basically the entire range of roleplaying themes and setups to its writers is just brilliant, while keeping it all grouped in the same lore, same universe. It helps give people a sense of continuity, especially since they can move their character in a different setting, with a whole new paradox regarding its existence, without loosing who that character is, and/or his history.

Now, on to the most important part of Val, the people, the community. Though I have to admit, sometimes I do read quests and other posts that do tend to go on a dangerous god-modding path, or marry-sue path, one thing is made clear: there is no such thing as a perfect community of writers. Nor, at the same time, is there a such a thing as the perfect writer. We are all people, and while we write our characters, we get attached to them. It is only human to care about our creations, about things we put time and effort into, and want to see them grow and prosper. As such god-modding, or marry-suing, are not necessarily bad things if they appear, as long as they are tempered, since they represent a normal tendency amongst human writers. I say human writers in order to rule out robots, martians, me, and other extraterrestrial entities. So I do not hold the occurrence of god-modding or marry-suing here and there against Val, since they are part of normality. Especially when Val has quite a solid community of good quality writers and good people. The people I have to admit, for the most part are well meaning, nice, and generally good people. They help make Val a place to just relax and have fun if you are willing, and you keep and open mind.

I am very tempted to do a name calling, to point out someone who has left quite a positive impression on me, and whom I consider to represent at in least in part the spirit of Valucre. But you cannot throw tomatoes at me, since no name calling will take place. Move along people! And no, it is not supernal. Sure he's generally good with wise-cracks and being generally a demigod of Val, being strong in the Snark and all that, but he's not it. (just joking, I am too handsome to be banned to early in my prime, mercy m'lord!).

Well, these are my two cents, small opinion and humble point of view. Once again this is the opinion of a recluse, of a bystander. I apologize for the lack of foul language, obscene images and inflammatory, hate filled, remarks.
Acies ab Vesania likes this

I am actually not a new member but maybe the mods would like to help a brother out in anyway ;)

So like I said, I am not new to Valucre. I was actually here for the birth of Valucre roughly 6-7 years ago with one of the creators of the site (you know who you are). I have seen this forum start out small with just a few people from our school and a few people on the internet that all had one thing in common, a love for role playing. I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed at how far it has come and very proud of the people for the work that has been put into this amazing forum. I remember just writing side by side with the creator in our computer class, and I have to say that those were some of the happiest days that I have had. This random person just pulling me to the side and showing me the beginnings to this site just told me to sign up and make a story. At first it was odd and uncomfortable, but just opening up our imaginations that have been, at least for me, originally locked up, just so I don’t ‘look weird’ to other people. I soon found comfort as I talked to other people that enjoyed my stories as well, and soon found out that we weren’t weird, we were awesome. I do have to thank you for seriously opening up a new world for me. I appreciate it. You should know that I look up to you and am glad that you’re doing so well for yourself. You are seriously a good friend and it sucks that we weren’t able to keep that much in touch. Hopefully this will serve as a way for us to talk more. So with that let me reintroduce myself to the rest of the forum. I am chinaman5m. It’s nice to finally be back after so long. I have had to retire due to work, school, and over all time constraints that have prevented me from playing. All I have to say now is screw that. I have had so much fun here and always wanted to come back. I came back briefly for a few short weeks but again something else came up. So hopefully I’ll be here to stay. This is after all, my home away from home.

A thought on Valucre is all you need? Well, that's easy, and a lot of people agree with me:
THIS SITE IS AWESOME!
Seriously, I have been to sites where it's kinda like 'Oh, God forbid you quote a real-world poem or song, because it isn't in the world's canon.'
I am so annoyed by those kind of sites.
But anyway, back to Valucre. I arrived about 11 hours ago, so I'm 'fresh meat', as I was called in a few sites. But I didn't feel like that was the case here, I felt...I dunno, wanted. And that is very important to me.
To Valucre, and the many, many hours I will spend on it.