Voting has reset for the month of December. Valucre is in the top 10 but we need to be in the top 3 if we want visitors to the topsite to see us the moment they land on the home page. So if you want to help new members discover Valucre, then vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

• Announcements

• supernal

Vote for Valucre [January]   01/01/2017

Voting for the month of January is open on TopRPSites! Vote for Valucre daily and help new members searching for a place to roleplay discover the same joys you have in Valucre. You can vote daily, so make voting for Valucre a habit. Discussion thread
supernal

First Impressions

237 posts in this topic

Well This site is pretty damn bad-ass. I mean, seriously, since the moment of my signing up here, I've felt pretty much at home. The players are pretty epic, and welcoming, and I feel confidant that I will learn A LOT on here.

I've browsed through a few threads and the Role play is just insane... I absolutely enjoyed reading through some of them, and I just LOVE the fact that it's an entire world. To some on here, who may have come from other forums that have integrated worlds like this, it may be normal. but to someone like me, this is just mind blowing, it's what I've been searching through all along. A type of environment where all the characters are linked on a geographical level, where it's an entire world with its own cities and customs... I also like the fact that it's not too confusing, I mean it can be over whelming at first, but I'm starting to sort of understand how things go, sort of.

I've already came up with a plan for my character, or at least what I hope for him to achieve.

This is the ultimate role playing game that I've been looking for, and I hope to meet epic people on the way, as well as learn and improve my self.

Well I started a few days. My first impression of this site was literally "Ugh it's too white and plain." I quickly fixed that, but changing the bottom to "dark." I spent an hour or two reading the lore and FAQ and rules, then I began to look around. I was very impressed with the lore. It is very well written and provides so many details! I just love it when people put time and effort into the lore. Then I saw how it was laid out and it confused me. I tried to understand by talking to people on Skype, then I contacted an admin and they helped me work out the details and explained it more. The admins were extremely helpful and nice! So then I decided to jump in and take a shot, which I did, but the only downside is that... I'm very impatient and it seems to me that not everyone replies at the speed that I wish they would. I looked at the forum I liked the most and I think the latest, beside the thread I'm in, was posted... about 4 months ago. Perhaps I should find a new thread to play in. Otherwise I love the site~!

Overtime, I figured out that I was an extreme role player. I mean as in the fact that I was pretty freaking addicted to it. I used to go on this site(not stating because I have privacy purposes) and literally posted five roleplay threads a day. Not literally as I am exaggerating but I seriously like couldn't stop in a non-weird way. I found this very fundamental to my exploration of new genres and outbursts of random ideas that I'd use later on for novels that I'd write on my laptop. So trying to stay on topic here I became an addicted freak as I have stated more then enough to make it known and joined three other roleplay sites. Congratulations valucre, you got yourself another party. I'm going to rent a clown for the celebration.

Feedback. I have currently looked at everything and I must say I am impressed. I mean changing the backgrounds? That's so cool.
Alright I'll lose my dry humor but let you know I'll be here all week. Continuing amongst topic I have to say that I love how many varieties their are to occupy your nerd-inflicted self with. From the fact of being able to stay on top with things with the What's New? tab if you are some old fart who doesn't know much about technological improvements since they change daily. Sorry old farts but that's your stereotypical nature. And just the other thing is that most of these role players know what the freak they're doing. I mean in a way that their are some serious men and women amongst this site who accept roleplaying as a life challenge and are such amazing role players. It's like my freaking high to roleplay. Everything is just wonderful, but I must point something out positively is about how many features their are in the post tab. In my last two roleplay sites they had the bold, italicize, and underline feature. Some have also had the font option but they only have the main three like Arial, Comic Sans, and Verdana, while valucre gives you a WHOLE FREAKING VARIETY. Excuse my necessity for caps, it just seemed like such a lovely time. None have either given me the size option, but I act like I've been to twenty so I will just state that this is a very good site in my opinion and that I will definitely not ditch you like the other last two sites. Edited by Hipstorian

Brand new I am, so let me give my impressions.

At first, I was skeptical of the quality of Valucre. No offense intended, I am always skeptical of quality. Well, the first positive note that struck me, was that this was a roleplay centric message boards first and a general topic one second, versus many others where roleplay takes a backseat. Thumbing through the actual structure of the boards, I both enjoyed the fact there's a dedicated profile section, and so many backdrop / location forums -- since at least tentatively, it lets people define those locations instead of infinitely spawning new yet generic ones.

I clicked a few random threads in various sub-forums, including the Crescent Knoll, Reyer Prison City, and Oo'Xora -- and I must say in terms of content "level" (i.e. on a scale of 0-10, 0 being a thread about Naruto and Sasuke banging back vodka and eying each other suggestively and 10 being a roleplay about space marines on a mission to slaughter Pokemon with assault rifles via tactical insertion), I was heavily impressed with what I saw. There's a clear drive to create good story here, with none of the horrors of .. [I]other sites[/I] I visit such as 70 line post formats and 2 line actual posts about looking at doors funny.

Finally, the roleplay group system actually looks pretty sweet.

This having been said, I'll tackle some negatives. I did notice many of the sub-forums are a bit one-sided in activity. Threads with over 1,000 views and only 10 replies would be one example. Granted, it's [I]far better[/I], [B]better by miles[/B] than places where single threads go into literal millions of posts - but I do see many 1-4 post threads that seem to've just been abandoned as quick or quicker as they spawned. The main forums are much better on this, where I'm seeing some topics even hitting the 100's mark. A lot of the "dead" roleplays that seem to be locked at author request and/or capability seem to be too.. hasty though. Like this one where people were using plate powers (as in dinner plates), I'd [U]totally[/U] participated in that. I love throwing dinner plates at people. That's the best concept for a 5 star story.

In closing: I'll keep messing with stuff here. As long as we can come to the agreement that the ultimate aspiration in our lives is some crazy hot roleplay where my character's getting hit on by all da womanz while we persecute elves and gnomes, forcing them into physical labor and laughing at their plight - I think the vision of Valucre will match my own just fine.
supernal and Elliterate like this

Whelp, 1st post.
Cleaner than my last rping site. The Dollars. (Yeah, anime! Woot woot! Not a horrible rping fanbase at all!) but this is very nice. I don't feel too intimidated, also a donations button wasn't popp- Oooh, autosave! That's nice!
10/10
I hope this will become my new home...
supernal likes this

I have no idea whether or not this falls within the proper time slot... however, I do not think I care... my thoughts are here, for those that care to read them...

For the past decade, I have been a roleplayer. What started offline in The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, and went through different stages of offline and online growth, from chat-rooms to D&D, has had a impact on my life that I believe is mostly favourable... and throughout it all, there have been a few gems that stand out, not as emotionally connected places or venues through which I roleplayed, but gems that stood out as mechanically functional roleplay venues, places that furthermore had a welcoming aura. Valucre is one of these places. It has, quite simply, lasting potential.

That phrase I use because it is true in multiple ways. Valucre the forum has potential to last because it brings in new members and is not afraid to be open to them. Through this it further creates lasting relationships, if not through the players becoming friends then through the players having a good time roleplaying their characters. This aids Valucre in the test of time because those relationships will bring some players back, should they leave for one reason or another.

What is most important about Valucre, however, is the reason that it has lasting potential; the players, non-staff and staff alike, all care. They care about Valucre, and about what it brings them, what it represents. Even the most welcoming and open venue, even one that functions so well that it can be said to be better than the rest of all other venues simply because of its mechanics, amounts to nothing if the players do not care.

That is my impression of this forum. I am pleased to have found it, and hope to one day make it plain how much I appreciate it. =)
Cordeliane and supernal like this

My first impressions of Valucre? This place is friggin' overwhelming and a little intimidating. I'd been on forum-based RPs for a handful of years, I'd guesstimate around maybe 7-8 in total, and I've yet to see one as massive and as comprehensive as this one was. Most of the ones I've seen were highly specialized, like, ones would be dedicated solely to steampunk-themed RP, while others would be focused on a particular series. Valucre is different in that it allows the members to make it whatever they want it to be and there's a place for every member, regardless of skills or interests. I had stumbled upon Valucre while looking for something to satisfy that RP itch I had. I had been in between a few other RPs that were sort of dead or draggin' their butts painfully slowly and I wanted something that was new, something that was different, something that was fun. And Valucre was all of that for me. Now, I had said that the site was overwhelming and it wasn't really until I started digging around that I realized just how much [i]stuff[/i] Valucre had to offer RPers. Most of the members I'd met when I first joined told me that I could learn the lore as I went along and it wasn't as necessary to learn it all right away. I thought it, really, to be completely nonsensical. "How could I make a character to fit into a world I know nothing about?" was a question I thought about a lot. I couldn't wrap my head around the sheer amount of content this place had to offer, much less figure out where I wanted to start. But, once I figured out the starting point, it was relatively smooth sailing from there.

One thing that slightly... irked me was the concept of "open world" RP, where basically anything goes as long as it isn't overly powerful or break the forum's general rules. It boggled my mind because I wondered how on earth people maintained consistency in the RP world of Valucre. But, the more I looked into it, the less I cared about "consistency." As long as it made sense and worked well, I figured people wouldn't complain, and if they did, they did. I also appreciated the "open world" concept at the same time because it allows that obvious creative freedom that the majority of the RPs are based on and, I think, draws people to the site.

Overall, during my first few weeks here, I was really quiet. Kinda shell-shocked, actually, in awe of the potential awesome of the site and the sheer amount of stuff that I decided I had needed to go through. But everyone I spoke to, from high-ranking members on downward, were all super nice and friendly. Even if I asked the most stupid of questions, I got the nicest replies back. Everyone is really close, like a tight-knit bunch of friends and it's an awesome atmosphere. And you can tell that the members are all invested in the forum, in both the actual site itself and the content of the forum. People are constantly updating and evolving the lore and information, breathing new life into various areas, and making things their own. I loved the fact that if you wanted to do something, you could do it, provided the board leader was okay with it. You could participate in anything you wanted and you weren't forced to only RP in one area because that's where you started out in or anything like that. Valucre's allowed me to explore new things and develop as a writer, which is truly fantastic and not something I have been able to do very often--if at all--with other RP groups. I'm impressed with the amount of development available to both veteran and new members, the amount of activity and things you can do within the forum, and the people here. It's a great forum and I'd highly recommend it to others.
Cordeliane, supernal and Vintage like this

When I first entered Valucre, I was on a rampage of roleplays. I had signed up for about three other sites, just hoping that numbers would give me at least one good RP. Well, I definitely found one. Upon first starting Valucre, I was fairly overwhelmed. There is so much that has already been written, so much lore to catch up on, but that just makes it that much more exciting! The community seems so awesome, and I love how you can actually level up and buy items with VB. That's actually one of the reasons I'm appreciating Valucre so much. I have a very competitive side, and when I'm told that I can level up and buy things, I just want to earn as much as I can (with, of course, my best quality posts).

The stories in particular are very intriguing. Everything is so intricate that I feel I could spend months reading everything here, and I would still probably never finish. Of course, I find that a challenge, and I shall do my absolute best to accomplish it.

All in all... I'm falling in love with this site. <3
supernal likes this

I'm loving the site. Everyone here so far has been friendly on a Utopian scale, and its freaky how at home I already feel on the site. I'm glad to get back into role playing, and I'm enjoying the story lines portrayed in the numerous RP's around the site. The lore is very intreaugeing, unique, and overall fun to model around. I feel like I'm rediscovering D&D for the first time- then I realize i can do so much more

As for being newb friendly, I've always had a trouble with forum role plays- I think DMing is easier then navigating around the hundreds of threads on the site. However, the moderators (and idk.. the higher ups?) Have been very helpful in pointing me in the right direction, even when I'm too impatient to slow down and read the letters I've been sent before. The admins have been patient and kind, the perfect kind of admins. All too often I find myself stuck with admins who overly abuse their power.

There's just something about role playing that gives you a sense of freedom that isn't so restricting like games or movies. The site is freaking Really big- and the audience of how many people have arrived to the same conclusion as me is extremely daunting. I'm excited to let the music play, the ideas flow, and my fingers typing as fast as they can to portray everything to the screen. Thanks for helping out! Even people who don't like role playing could come to this site to read stuff, and feel good about themselves. Its a great environment. :) (Thank heavens for Microsoft word though!) Edited by Shanrakk
oh gosh the lack of paragraphs/writing quality
supernal, Praetorian and Vintage like this

I recently just joined another site and when I told my friend, SplinteredSanity, he told me to join up here because I would have a lot of fun. I spent about an hour looking around the site before joining and eventually figured, why not?

So, as I have been looking around, I quickly discovered that there is a lot to it. I especially like the incentives and rules posted up. I would say that it could use more colour but, I that is just me. I love colour. The more I look around and spy in on some of the posts, I realize it is a wonderful community where I can make friends and Role Play with all I want. I appreciate the layout of the profiles too. Very organized and appealing to the eye.
Praetorian and supernal like this

I've been here a few weeks now, and I love it.

I'm a little thrown off by the pace. I've just come from years of roleplaying in chat rooms and over IM, I'm used to more immediacy. My biggest challenge so far has been trying to write posts anywhere near as long as the people I thread with. I know it's not necessary, but I'd like to average around 250 words per post.

The people here are actually friendly and helpful. I thought that was just a thing every roleplay advertised without meaning it, but it's certainly true here. I tend to be insecure, so having the Tavern of Legend to informally try out my character before introducing her to Valucre proper was great. I tend to be shy, so people PMing to invite me to RP was great.

The rep system is great, too. Getting rep and a compliment from someone important or someone I admire makes me do a little dance in my computer chair.

And the lore. Oh, the lore. I got hooked on worldbuilding ages ago, I love poking around new worlds, and I can spend hours reading and rereading the lore.

At first, I was intimidated by the amount of freedom Valucre allows, insecure and worried that I'd screw up. Now that I'm getting the feel of things I'm getting ideas, rubbing my hands together and cackling maniacally.

(That means I'm coming up with ideas, and having fun.)
Praetorian, Vintage and supernal like this

I joined this site about 4-5 days ago.

Man, it feels like a month has passed. Right when I looked up "best RP forums 2013" some yahoo answers thing came, and someone suggested this website. I clicked, and boy, was I surprised. Expectations? Some old website which had been abandoned after a few months or weeks of happiness. Results? Some badass RP forum with even more badass members, even more badass RP threads, and an awesomely badass admin which isn't some kind of legendary pokemon.

Honestly, I was surprised. When I joined this website, i was greeted with this:

[quote name='supernal']Foxrally, I think you're a cool motherfucker, pardon the expletive..[/QUOTE]

Also, note that I'm probably the youngest dude on this forum. And I live in another time zone, which means you guys are around only around 10 PM to 1 AM. Even with that, I think this is the best RP site I've ever been to.
supernal, Praetorian and Shanrakk like this

I just kind of noticed this thread existed...
I don't know if it's too late, but I'm decently new here, so...

I like this site. Very much.
The community here has awesome people who are both welcoming and eager to lend a helping hand to newer members.
Finding an RP is as easy as checking out the Water Cooler and deciding what catches your fancy. Character sheets can be made and stored in the profile database for quick and easy reference, even if I'm lazy to make all the ones I want to.
On top of that, activity is very high here, which is something I like.

All in all, this place is my new home. ♥
supernal and Praetorian like this

Well I just appeared here today (but to put it mildly I have a LOT of free time so I've been posting and reading around...)

My first impression of Valucre is real good. The few people I've interacted with have been unbelievable nice to me which I am so very thankful for, I always hate starting out on a new forum because urgh.

As I said in my introduction, I've been looking for a RP forum for a long time but mostly I've found... Well, RP forums that weren't my style, to put it mildly. Yet this one is so throughout that it really intimidates me, I still am thinking about how to start out and such. I like to know the story before I get in and stuff. But that's what is so great with this place, that there's information everywhere! So surely when I've read enough I'll feel safer about playing... Or not, until I've played. We'll see.

For now, all I can say I really love what I am seeing here and I am looking forward to snoop around some more.
supernal and Praetorian like this

I joined a few days ago with high expectations. Every expectation was met! I was told the people here are very kind and helpful, and they are just that. I was also told that the op was the most helpful one out there, and he is. :) It's like he never sleeps. This is the first site I've ever RP'ed on and its been a fantastic experience. There's so much to do here, and literally everyone can do it! It's all so wonderful. I'm gonna be here for awhile guys! :)
supernal likes this