Voting has reset for the month of December. Valucre is in the top 10 but we need to be in the top 3 if we want visitors to the topsite to see us the moment they land on the home page. So if you want to help new members discover Valucre, then vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

• Announcements

• supernal

Vote for Valucre [January]   01/01/2017

Voting for the month of January is open on TopRPSites! Vote for Valucre daily and help new members searching for a place to roleplay discover the same joys you have in Valucre. You can vote daily, so make voting for Valucre a habit. Discussion thread
supernal

Pre-registration questions for Guests

94 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Guest Curious said:

Wait so everything is canon

No. Valucre, as a planet, represents the canon world so play IN the canon but not everything that is done is part OF the canon. You can read more about canonization guidelines here: http://www.valucre.com/lore.html/resources/general/canonization-guide/

Also the Alternative board hosts any kind of roleplay that wouldn't fit in Valucre as well: http://www.valucre.com/forum/75-alternative/

Hello,

I've been browsing different RP sites since the one I loved died a couple of years ago. I have a couple of questions. How many active members do you have? Are people active close to every day, or even multiple times per day? And what kinds of RPs are popular here - fantasy, historical fiction, romance...? I haven't read the Valucre overview yet but I'm working on it.

1 hour ago, Guest said:

Hello,

I've been browsing different RP sites since the one I loved died a couple of years ago. I have a couple of questions. How many active members do you have? Are people active close to every day, or even multiple times per day? And what kinds of RPs are popular here - fantasy, historical fiction, romance...? I haven't read the Valucre overview yet but I'm working on it.

1 - Regarding active members if you look at the front page the list of 100 users there are users active on the site within the past 5 or so hours. I consider this active but you may have a different metric. 

2 - Activity rangers from member to member. The site gets posts every day, certainly. But one member may only post every few days or every week and another member may post every day or multiple times a day; someone may be in one thread and someone else in five. So it depends on who your partner is and what you discuss. 

3 - Things like "Adventure, romance, horror" and so on as literary genres can and do exist within the canon world of Valucre. Valucre can host most genres of roleplay actually. Those that can't be hosted in the in-game setting, such as historical fiction since historical fiction is usually in reference to real-life Earth which doesn't exist as a planet in this made up setting, can be hosted in Alternative. That would be the place to go if you wanted, say, play in post-apocalyptic New York or reenact WW2.

Rin and Ariessya like this

Hi all! Im experienced to roleplay but thats on World of warcraft,  So Im unsure hwo this works x) 

one on one rp is fairly straight forward, but how does a group rp   work? as its "whenever you're  you post your input"  soo in a sense if the group of 4 is here, and you're offline but 3 are online . They'd continue and you'll miss whats happening until now. Also your character would have somehow been away or just silent or whaT? 

Sorry its kind of a noob question xD But Im interested to learn!  Thank you in advance ^^

BEst Regards

NewGuyWithQuestions.

2 hours ago, Guest NewGuyWithQuestions said:

Hi all! Im experienced to roleplay but thats on World of warcraft,  So Im unsure hwo this works x) 

one on one rp is fairly straight forward, but how does a group rp   work? as its "whenever you're  you post your input"  soo in a sense if the group of 4 is here, and you're offline but 3 are online . They'd continue and you'll miss whats happening until now. Also your character would have somehow been away or just silent or whaT? 

Sorry its kind of a noob question xD But Im interested to learn!  Thank you in advance ^^

BEst Regards

NewGuyWithQuestions.

The standard is turn-based roleplaying. As in, Member A, Member B, Member C, and Member D take turns posting in that order, so nobody gets skipped (unless they've not logged on for a few days). This is not always the case, as some people may prefer different post orders or no post order at all, but the default is turn-based.

Off Topic and supernal like this

Just now, Paroxysm said:

The standard is turn-based roleplaying. As in, Member A, Member B, Member C, and Member D take turns posting in that order, so nobody gets skipped (unless they've not logged on for a few days). This is not always the case, as some people may prefer different post orders or no post order at all, but the default is turn-based.

The Paroxysm here is quite right.

People can control how this goes in their roleplays. Some set a time limit of 3 days, some of 5, some set a strict posting order so that D cannot post unless C posts and others do a more loose post order. It'll vary on the roleplay itself but, as a rule of thumb, people will wait a while for someone to post instead of continuing without them, unless it's been a few days and they risk holding up the overall story. 

I enjoy the Final Fantasy Tactics term.

You and your party of mercenaries encounter an enemy and must engage him in combat. You scroll through your options until you find something satisfactory and attack(post) and now its the next person in your parties turn to consider their options.

Rinse, repeat, and recycle.

Awesome! thanks for good and many answers! c :   Alright I guess I'll look up the lore of this universe  and check if its for me :D  

Any tips given is much appreciated!!  

Best Regards, 

NewGuy!

Just now, Guest said:

Awesome! thanks for good and many answers! c :   Alright I guess I'll look up the lore of this universe  and check if its for me :D  

Any tips given is much appreciated!!  

Best Regards, 

NewGuy!

There is a lot of lore that you can dive into and into for days and weeks. But you don't have to and that's an important distinction to make. The lore is there to enhance the play and add depth to your plots, not to get in the way of you roleplaying. I suggest starting with just the overview of the world and going from there: http://www.valucre.com/lore.html/world/valucre-overview/

I have been swimming the whirlpool of lore since 2010. My best advice:

Separate them into continents, and then regions. Once you have that done slice them into individual cities, and start there, reading slowly.

Don't rush through like I did.

Hmmm good point. there seems to be alot. I was reading the overview.. I think I'd probably go for a hybrid type of character, bit magic and bit melee. So I am currently trying to understand the magic part  . Then I think I'll just choose which continent he's from and get an idea about it. So its believable that he's actually from there. Sounds good?  I'll just make him unknowing of much about other continents. Making him  travel to experience the world I think may be a good way to learn while rping?  Iwill however try what you suggested Ad Hoc! Thanks for advices and tips! 

Probably have to read combat system etc... it mentioned differences between collaborative and competative   combat  in the roleplay FAQ. and the T1 ruleset etc. Goan try get abit info on those hwoever I did not find the combat info in the FAQ. I'll look more closely.

Best Regards, 

NewGuy!

Hi one thing tho,  two sentences I didnt quite understand. 

1.   A PC is generally considered to have the effective fighting force of no more than five war-proven NPCs when specifically prepared for the encounter.  

- Does this mean the DM of the even will not make any player encounter more than 5 npc's or  am I completely misunderstanding that sentence? :P

2. In combat, the maximum preps you can have is 1 prep per turn and 5 preps maximum

- What does this mean? 

Best regards

NewGuy!

8 hours ago, Guest said:

- Does this mean the DM of the even will not make any player encounter more than 5 npc's or  am I completely misunderstanding that sentence? :P

No, it is generally referring to Player Characters killing groups of enemies out of hand using High Level powers, which would incidentally break the Mild Powers rule of Valucre. A DM, or 'storyteller', as they are often times referred to here in Valucre, may create as many hostile non-player characters as they wish and are not limited by the strength of the player character(s) involved.

8 hours ago, Guest said:

2. In combat, the maximum preps you can have is 1 prep per turn and 5 preps maximum

You can think of preps as currency to power up an attack or defense or effect. Let's say you spend 3 turns (posts) "preparing" a fire spell, but your opponent has spent none, so when you cast that spell it is going to do some serious damage to their character because you have put more time and effort into your offense than he has in his own offense/defense/reaction. On the other hand, if he has spent 5 turns preparing a defense and you have spent 3 turns preparing an attack, then his defense will ultimately trump your offense, although to what extent depends on context and their willingness to engage in creative compromise. There are many helpful guides on the combat system used here at Valucre. The default is this one:

supernal likes this

Hey I read that T1 :D  and thanks for info but ... if I prep for 3 turns,,,, and he only one. doesnt his attack interrupt mine?  also, do I have to prep more than his or equally if I just want to evade it by for example jumping to the side or sidestepping? 

Best Regards,

NewGuy

2 hours ago, Guest said:

Hey I read that T1 :D  and thanks for info but ... if I prep for 3 turns,,,, and he only one. doesnt his attack interrupt mine?  also, do I have to prep more than his or equally if I just want to evade it by for example jumping to the side or sidestepping? 

Best Regards,

NewGuy

I think that will vary from situation to situation. For example he may interrupt and launch and attack but because there's a building between you, that is to say if he doesn't use his prep in an effective way, then you'd be able to continue prepping or take damage and launch a more effective counter. 

So as for jumping to the side, that will depend on the nature of the attack as well as how many preps are behind it. It's difficult to side step an exploding fireball but you may be able to erect a magical barrier or something like that.

I wouldn't worry too much about competitive combat though. Most people do collaborative/storyline combat and you can't be forced into T1 unless you're in a tournament, in which case you signed up for it. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor