Voting has reset for the month of December. Valucre is in the top 10 but we need to be in the top 3 if we want visitors to the topsite to see us the moment they land on the home page. So if you want to help new members discover Valucre, then vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

• Announcements

• supernal

Vote for Valucre [January]   01/01/2017

Voting for the month of January is open on TopRPSites! Vote for Valucre daily and help new members searching for a place to roleplay discover the same joys you have in Valucre. You can vote daily, so make voting for Valucre a habit. Discussion thread
Acies ab Vesania

Market is Back

23 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2016 at 2:42 PM, supernal said:

Later today I'm going to take a stab at a more simplified version that just gets down to brass tacks, so to speak, and then link to the more detailed document to fall back on should there be more questions. I'll copy you on it when I send it to Nick as a sort of beta reader thing. 

This totally happened by the way: http://www.valucre.com/topic/30638-simplified-market-information/

Question: How would I need to change my Priscilla's Masks roleplays in order for people to purchase the masks?

2 minutes ago, Jotnotes said:

Question: How would I need to change my Priscilla's Masks roleplays in order for people to purchase the masks?

They can do so as plot and character device already. 

Do you mean specifically in such a way that the Masks get listed in the Market board and credits get exchanged for it?

Jotnotes likes this

2 minutes ago, supernal said:

They can do so as plot and character device already. 

Do you mean specifically in such a way that the Masks get listed in the Market board and credits get exchanged for it?

Yes. I'm imagining that there are multiple times in which nobody had to exert an effort to buy a mask. I'd just like to expand her influence over those sales, I guess.

I agree that there should be a way to reward efforts that are not strictly conventional IC posts. I suggest the following:

1) Upon the completion of a quest, if the quest-giver (board leader or leader of a locale) is not a participant in the quest, s/he will receive post credits equivalent to the minimum number of posts for the quest level divided by 5. E.g. for a level C quest, s/he will get 15 / 5 = 3 post credits. This gives some incentive for quest-givers to encourage people to take up their quests. The credits will be for the particular continent the quest takes place on. (However, events such as the current Hauntsong and Maddening Mists may fall through the cracks as there's no guideline to what the quest levels are.)

2) Storytellers (officially requested for through the Storyteller thread) will receive a flat rate of 2 x number of posts they make in a quest thread, unless they run the whole thread, in which case they are treated as a participant. The credits will be for the particular continent the quest takes place on.

3) A Daily Weekly article will yield 5 post credits each for every person involved in the creation of the article. If the article is about a place in one of the continents, the post credits will be for that continent. If it's for Valucre in general (IC and OOC), the credits can be used anywhere.

4) Donations. I think there was some system of converting amount of donations to vB. We can adopt the same system for post credits. The credits are general and can be used in any market.

5) Board and subboard leaders will receive a post credits boost of 20 continent-based credits for every new board responsibility. For leaders of sub-subboard locations (no dedicated board, but for creating and upkeeping lore for smaller cities), they get 10 continent-based credits for each new location. This is to help to kickstart the acquisition of resources and/or water cooler pins for the new location. If the sub-subboard locations subsequently get a dedicated board, an additional 10 post credits are given to make up the difference.

**I suggest these credits to be backdated to when the new market system was set up (early this year?)

--

That's all the scenarios I can think of. Any others? The number of post credits suggested here are rather by gut feel, I don't know if there's a better way of calculating them.. It also ignores actual effort taken (someone could spend 3 hours on a piece of lore and someone else 3 days), but that's true for IC posts as well (100 words vs 1000 words), so I guess that's consistent. Might be too complicated to keep track otherwise.

Rp-wise there should be more ways other than quest threads to yield points. I think players who contribute to Valucre should be rewarded for contributing their writing to Valucre. Not giving points to players who prefer their own canon storylines to questing for some artifact or other seems silly to me. Perhaps give a set number of points for threads that exceed 2 pages (30 posts each) or something?

Ayden, Overvisor, jaistlyn and 1 other like this

I think it would definitely be a hassle for any one person to backdate the point system, so the burden of proof and providing links should definitely be on the recipient of the points rather than admins. Jaistlyn did a really good job of making suggestions, but I would like to piggyback a bit onto hers in terms of suggestions/demands/newspaper-cut ransom note collages:

1) The Tavern of Legend Mentor deserves getting points for their activity, imo. Mickey Flash does a great job of keeping up with the activity and if any one deserves being rewarded, the ToL Mentor should for getting all our new members' feet wet.

2) Additions, revamps, or expansion on canonical lore should also be considered. Beyond just the completion of quests to churn the canon forward, articles like the new Taqat lore entry by Fridge, Song Sprite's work on Tethys and Orolindaria/bestiary entries for elven races, and jaistlyn's revamping of Yh'mi info threads (along with taking the burden upon herself in the first place) should be rewarded in whatever site-wide reward system we have. I'd argue that, if this is a sandbox we're playing in, those people are helping to build our collective sand-castles rather than having a passive interaction with them, at the least in talking officially endorsed lore articles. This could also be extended to board leaders as incentive to revamp older (sometimes years-old and much in need of updating) lore articles.

3) I think there should also be a quality factoring to this instead of it solely being a point of quantity of words/posts. If I suggested that people who give NoE's were to be rewarded points I think that could be a way for it to be abused and water down the meaning behind it, but I don't feel that has the same dynamic if you reward the recipient of the NoE nomination. Incentive/rewards for quality rather than only quantity should be factored in to some extent and I admit that I'm not entirely sure how to work it in, but I'm leaving it here as an idea so it gets some air-time.

jaistlyn, supernal, Ayden and 1 other like this

Dropping in to say that I appreciate all the feedback. I finally got around to PMing Carlos some suggestions for changes, largely modeled after the suggestions made here. Things such as looking into incentives for boardleaders to be active in their board management (quest offerings, posting lore), points for being an active role-player (even if you tend to gravitate away from quests) and contributing to the site through the daily weekly. 

I'll continue to watch this thread as the days go on.

Ayden, jaistlyn, Off Topic and 1 other like this