Voting has reset for the month of December. Valucre is in the top 10 but we need to be in the top 3 if we want visitors to the topsite to see us the moment they land on the home page. So if you want to help new members discover Valucre, then vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

• Announcements

• supernal

Vote for Valucre [January]   01/01/2017

Voting for the month of January is open on TopRPSites! Vote for Valucre daily and help new members searching for a place to roleplay discover the same joys you have in Valucre. You can vote daily, so make voting for Valucre a habit. Discussion thread
Lord Satin

House Rhodos Reforged [Faction Recruitment]

368 posts in this topic

House Rhodos is an old project of mine that died some 6 months ago. It is a (hopefully soon-to-be) canon minor faction stationed in the Northern Badlands of Terrenus. You can read more about it by simply searching for House Rhodos in the organization database, which should be more or less up to date. I have decided, alongside @Die Shize, to revive the project after all this time. We hope to find allies in our future endeavors. You may choose a role that suits you best, from serf to general. I can go with anything.

House Rhodos is a monarchy, and its capital is known as the Retreat. It is formed of two major ethnic groups - the nomadic natives and the Terran immigrants. The lord of the Retreat, the Grand Count Georan, is a descendant of the Terran people, but does not hesitate to cooperate with his Northern friends. He commands a military power of approximately two thousand royal troops and six thousand levies. The land exists under a modified version of feudal law. Despite this, however, House Rhodos is not a technologically inferior group. Their heavy cataphracts and lancers are oft accompanied by line infantry and skirmishers. 

This project is meant to last. If it works out and I successfully bring House Rhodos afloat once more, I will most definitely have it canonized.

Opportunities, Questions & World-Changing Events

- Will there be opportunities to participate in PvP wars? There certainly should be. As I said, if I succeed in the canonization of my faction, we will most definitely participate in armed conflict if such an opportunity arises.

- Could I help shape the world if I join? I think so, yes. If we become a canon part of the lore, we should have a chance to dent the fabric of Valucre a little bit. That is my goal, anyway.

- How do you plan to keep the House active when at peace? A variety of ways. There are always bandits to defeat, deals to be made, improvements to be built and revolts to be suppressed. I'll keep you sufficiently busy.

- Conditions of joining? I demand only one thing from you - don't ghost on me. If you decide you do not want to be a part of the faction anymore, simply tell me and I will release you from your oath. Don't disappear.

- How experienced do I have to be? You don't have to be experienced at all. I accept just about anyone. 

- Can I assume the role of a high-ranking individual? Sure. In fact, I encourage you to. Soldiers can always be NPCs, but officers need to be human, as do spies and assassins.

Latest Events & Brief Backstory

Before the project died, a few very important events took place. Perhaps the most crucial of them is the fall of House Rhodos, which occurred when a large band of revolutionaries seized the opportunity to conquer the Retreat. While Count Georan fought to forge an alliance with a great nomadic tribe, a strong force pressed down upon the age-old fortress. Georan's youngest son, who took it upon himself to lead the defense, was killed in the battle, as was his eldest. Only his highest ranking officers escaped with their lives. All but a tenth of Georan's royal army was disbanded, the rest seeking out their leader and going into exile.

The Count's last remaining son currently oversees the construction of a crucial outpost near the Northern road to Patia (though he took extra care not to infringe upon their border). Word reaches him after six long months of this terrible circumstance, and he ventures forth to seek out his father, a battalion of loyal soldiers marching at his side.

Basically, if this works out, we'll have to retake the Retreat, which should be a very entertaining siege. The resistance has gathered nearly everything it needs, and there are now only a handful of finishing touches to attend to before the battle begins.

Join if you will! I might not respond right away. I hope this works out, but I believe that by this point, I am cursed.

Edited by Lord Satin
Nym Sefter and sapphyrelorelle like this

Die Shize approves of this message.

To those directly involved with House Rhodos in the past, or merely bystanders observing it here and there, we know there's been some on-off business with it. Fortunately, IC circumstances tie right in with the OOC desire to drive this organization's reemergence, rather than this being some random rework. I'll be doing what I can to support House Rhodos, and your friendly neighborhood Shize-Man would love your peeps' support too.

The character I have for House Rhodos is Lord Connor Paygard. He's currently filling the following roles:

• Chamberlain of House Rhodos
    • Similar to steward, the chamberlain yet manages the household and estate of a noble or monarch instead of just the estate of only a noble
  • Regent of House Rhodos
    • The regent is the acting monarch in the absence, minority, incapacity or otherwise delegation of the house leader
  • Protector of House Rhodos
    • The protector oversees the personal protection of the ruling family of House Rhodos, primarily its leader and secondarily the leader's family members
  • Viscount of House Rhodos
    • The Viscount assists the leader of House Rhodos in a governance capacity (drawing similarities to "Vice President"). Though actual roles are created for this assistance for specific functions among administrative, judicial and military levels, "viscount" is more in line with noble titling over official (consider England's system of 'peerage'), entailing courtesy, and serves to highlight the noble ranking system within the house. Though a non-hereditary title, typically, the Viscount of House Rhodos is also its Chamberlain and Regent.

Though I'm mainly just babysitting the role of Protector of House Rhodos pending a PC's willingness to fill it.

Edited by Die Shize

I really should stop looking at the water cooler until after finals are over. That said, this sounds really interesting and like a good way to get involved in the world! I'd love to join, if you'll have me. ^-^ I'm still pretty new, and slowly catching up on the lore, but I'm eager to get involved and not one to ghost. 

Rogue-type characters are typically my go to (I decided to branch out with the first two I brought in on this site), so I could definitely play a spy or assassin, but I'd be cool with playing a different role if need be!

Die Shize and Nym Sefter like this

3 minutes ago, sapphyrelorelle said:

I really should stop looking at the water cooler until after finals are over. That said, this sounds really interesting and like a good way to get involved in the world! I'd love to join, if you'll have me. ^-^ I'm still pretty new, and slowly catching up on the lore, but I'm eager to get involved and not one to ghost. 

Rogue-type characters are typically my go to (I decided to branch out with the first two I brought in on this site), so I could definitely play a spy or assassin, but I'd be cool with playing a different role if need be!

Sounds great! I totally understand what you mean regarding finals and such, though I'm far removed from school these days haha.

House Rhodos can make fine use of rogue-type characters like spies or assassins. Keep that spyglass and dagger handy. @Lord Satin can confirm details and such.

Welcome aboard.

With some luck, you will experience an actual IC thread involving House Rhodos. I honestly hope you do, because back in the day, it was quite magnificent. Lots of fun if I do say so myself. But you know, times change. If more people get on board, we might be able to set sail. Storms lie ahead, however, and I feel uneasy traveling the sea in its bouts of wrath. We must raise a dedicated crew if we are to survive these cruel waters. It is all or nothing, and nothing would mark my end.

You are now a sworn sailor. You may ask me at any time to release you from your oath, and I will do so. Know that I abandon the ship first, for I am the captain, and I myself hold the power to lead further voyages, and so I must live at all costs. There is no honor in what we do.

Nym Sefter and sapphyrelorelle like this

Glad to be part of the crew! I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes, and I really hope it does get enough people to set sail. These sound like exciting waters. ^-^ Keep me posted, and let me know anything you need me to do. When should I have a character ready? And are there any particular requirements said character needs to fit?

Nym Sefter likes this

Only one recruit so far, it's been a day. Well that's fucked. Not that I didn't expect such a result, but I had hoped for something for once.

I hate to be pessimistic (actually, I love it), but we might not be setting sail at all. Giving it one more day, and if there's nothing 'till then, we might have to consider shutting down yet again... That'll be the seventh RP I shut down before it started, and for the exact same reason. Don't worry though, because when that happens, and it will happen, comrade Die Shize has permission to take my project and recreate it when I leave the site, so you can join it even if it doesn't work out.

No requirements. Whenever you like. I need you to stay put and understand that we might be screwed. Other than that, clear skies ahead!

Glad to have you on board.

6 minutes ago, Lord Satin said:

Only one recruit so far, it's been a day. Well that's fucked. Not that I didn't expect such a result, but I had hoped for something for once.

I hate to be pessimistic (actually, I love it), but we might not be setting sail at all. Giving it one more day, and if there's nothing 'till then, we might have to consider shutting down yet again... That'll be the seventh RP I shut down before it started, and for the exact same reason. Don't worry though, because when that happens, and it will happen, comrade Die Shize has permission to take my project and recreate it when I leave the site, so you can join it even if it doesn't work out.

No requirements. Whenever you like. I need you to stay put and understand that we might be screwed. Other than that, clear skies ahead!

Glad to have you on board.

Is that reason you hitting the abort button?

You keep starting projects, and ending them even when there's a lot of interest in them, and then start new ones and end them because there isn't enough interest in them. Start one thing, actually see it through, stop ending things the moment there's a little grit in your eye, and it'll be better. You'd be surprised how long a project can live if you stop decapitating it at the drop of a hat.

Just my words of advice, which you don't have to follow if you don't want but at least don't be surprised about it in the future

Decapitation is the most humiliating form of death, the highest disgrace. Failures like these are dishonorable to my name, and smiting them with my wrath is all that saves me of this great dishonor. I remember every single idea that I crippled at the neck, and each of them deserved it.

Suppose it comes down to philosophy of life. If something does not work, destroy it in its entirety, if only not to be dishonored further by its foul presence. It is a philosophy of all or nothing. If something does not reach its full potential, or at least come close to it, it is a failure and must be destroyed. But like I said, my good friend can take over if it doesn't work out. Gave myself one last chance to come up with something reasonably good, and this time, failure is not an option for me.

Nym Sefter likes this

25 minutes ago, Lord Satin said:

Decapitation is the most humiliating form of death, the highest disgrace. Failures like these are dishonorable to my name, and smiting them with my wrath is all that saves me of this great dishonor. I remember every single idea that I crippled at the neck, and each of them deserved it.

Suppose it comes down to philosophy of life. If something does not work, destroy it in its entirety, if only not to be dishonored further by its foul presence. It is a philosophy of all or nothing. If something does not reach its full potential, or at least come close to it, it is a failure and must be destroyed. But like I said, my good friend can take over if it doesn't work out. Gave myself one last chance to come up with something reasonably good, and this time, failure is not an option for me.

Satin, Satin, so sorry to hear that you think this way. If it helps, how about this - I actually had a little bit of work yesterday.

Came home at nighttime, was awfully tired, face-checked Val on my phone right before I took a nosedive into dreamland.

Wake up in the morning, did my responsibilities, and finally here to actually, earnestly check the Water Cooler for cool stuff. And lo and behold, this "House Rhodos" (Holy shit that's a cool name!!!!) thing is opening up recruitment. I'm so interested lemme write up a character just for this RP.

Now this is all hypothetical I'll tell you what since I'm actually busy all the damn time and I definitely have my hands full. But wouldn't you say that the hypothetical situation is something you find yourself in often? Would you say that it is at least very likely, for a number of reason? I've definitely been there. I'd definitely be interested, if I weren't already slightly busy.

And here's another thing. You've been keeping up with Free Chat, I noticed. We have Codiene and Charli freaking eloping for Christs' sake. They're AFV for a few days. But who's to say they aren't interested as hell? Over the entire userbase of Valucre, there are so many situations that may conspire, so many possible and plausible ways that people can be taken out of commission for 21 hours (that's the amount of time since you've opened this thread) that for you to shut this down so soon is unfair to them. It's not their fault that they had to pull an all-nighter for that exam tomorrow, sorry, can't check Valucre for 48 hours today and tomorrow. It's not their fault that their boss made them pull overtime on a Sunday night and they were dead tired and fell asleep without responding. It's not their fault, even, that their (ugh) real-world friends dragged them out to the club where they stayed until 5AM not checking their phones because they aren't losers.

It's not their fault, but when they get back here, so ready and so interested in this RP, it's already shut down. Why, Satin, have you taken the chance from them already?

I made an intro check - just, "Anyone wanna RP?" Nobody replied in the first few hours. A single person in the next. But, and I shit you not, I literally found my current RP with Supernal and Paroxysm, which is incidentally amazingly fun, on the second day. Not in 21 hours. Not in 36, even. But by 48 hours, I had a solid hook, line, and sinker.

Is this situation so different from yours? Don't those count as good results?

You say that this is a philosophy of life. "If something does not work, destroy it in its entirety." But just as humans need time to develop their untapped potential, so do RPs. 

What you're doing to me sounds a lot like this. Have a kid. If he doesn't display signs of genius by the end of the first year, PUT THAT BITCH UP FO ADOPTIONS. And that doesn't make sense, because I doubt Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk, or any genius really displayed it by the end of the first year. I bet they couldn't even talk until they were the normal age. When did they show their brilliance? As they grew, matured. Why don't you give this RP a chance? Instead of shutting it down after a single day, leave it open for a week.

You might be pleasantly surprised. Or you might be really sad, in which case feel free to yell at me.

Just my two cents.

I have to agree with Mag. I think it is incredibly unfair to cancel these things so quickly simply because (at least from my perspective) no one is showing interest quickly enough. Now that may not be the case and I apologize if you feel I'm making an unwarranted assumption here. 

Let me give you another example of what I mean by "give it a chance". On another forum I have been a part of a roleplay for going on three months. Now I have superhero friends with powers of patience you would not believe, but the fact remains that we haven't given up simply because life has gotten in the way. In my case I have a job that requires at the very least 12 hours of my time and a family that requires 25/8 attention. Seeing as there are only 24 hours in a day, you can imagine the magic tricks I have to pull out of thin air to make anything work. To be fair and to sound like a bit of a hypocrite I have had a lot of time to comment here and there the past few days, but life is like a box of chocolates. Sometimes you get the gooey nougat, sometimes all you have is dry boring coconut. I don't like either of those flavors so take that as you will. 

My point being: Everyone is different and if you truly want to run events like this there has got to be some sort of compromise and a great deal of patience. Hopefully you take this well and in stride as all I want to do is encourage you. The insect RP and this organization all have a lot of potential if only they are given the opportunity to fly. Don't kick them from the nest too early. 

Die Shize and Lord Satin like this

Believe me, I know that I sound very selfish for demanding that my projects gain momentum early on, and I know perfectly how difficult life can be. I am a student of mechanical engineering and I am exhausted more often than not. Still, I speak from experience. Once an RP is not viewed within the first 24 hours, it is more than likely dead. Why? It will get buried by many better ideas, as it should be, and it simply disappears from existence.

Glad to have another person on board, however. It counts, and the note has been taken. I still hold little hope for the future of this once-great RP. That is why they call me a cynic, after all.

You are more than welcome to join us, freond! Let us speak in old Wessex English and celebrate the old times!

Edited by Lord Satin

Uh huh.

FYI I won't be running House Rhodos anytime soon if its current leader backs out, as a solo capacity in my part is rather secondary to all the other Velcro things I have going on right now.

Speaking from experience, though, even if 24 hours turn into 48 and 48 into two weeks and then some, the idea won't die. Realistically, and justifiably, I just have some other roleplay priorities right now which means managing House Rhodos will be put on the backburner on my end. 

Edited by Die Shize
supernal likes this

I really don't think that just because there hasn't been a whole ton of interest in something the first day means it's dead? I mean, I doubt everyone on here checks the water cooler on a daily basis. I'm sorry you've been dealing with failed ideas lately, I know how much that sucks. But please give this another week before giving it up. To play off of your earlier metaphor, the captain is supposed to go down with the ship, not abandon it. Everyone here is trying to tell you that this has a lot of potential, with you at the helm. Please listen.

Mag likes this