Voting has reset for the month of December. Valucre is in the top 10 but we need to be in the top 3 if we want visitors to the topsite to see us the moment they land on the home page. So if you want to help new members discover Valucre, then vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

• Announcements

• supernal

Vote for Valucre [January]   01/01/2017

Voting for the month of January is open on TopRPSites! Vote for Valucre daily and help new members searching for a place to roleplay discover the same joys you have in Valucre. You can vote daily, so make voting for Valucre a habit. Discussion thread
supernal

What are you watching? [anime]

16 posts in this topic

We have a thread like this for TV, Movies, and Games (sometimes even multiples) but I wanted to make one for anime. Specifically most anime threads that come and go on Valucre talk about classics, or favorites, and usually come with a laundry list of said classics and favorites. What I want to do with this thread is have people comment on things they're currently watching or have recently completed instead. 

Edited by supernal

I just finished watching Fate/Zero. Without dipping into half-integers, my heart rates this 9/10.

Great anime that I would recommend to people new to the medium as well as old hats. The plot is sumptuously orchestrated and the pacing, one of the things I value most in almost any dynamic medium, is well timed. They know just when to pack action in your face and when to slow things down for some elegantly handled exposition. The characters are distinct, understandable where not relatable, and thoroughly fleshed out so that none of their actions seem forced without becoming predictable. 

It's a very well done story is what it is, and it just so happens to be in anime form. 

Edited by supernal
Avvercus and Fae like this

Fairy Tail dubbed. I still haven't finished ityet but I know the spoilers. The manga is eh at the moment.

The fights and the animation are awesome.

9/10.

It reminds me alot of undertale and I love it because of the friendship thing.

Juvia is my waifu. I would marry her if I was a guy and she existed.

princeben07 and Deus Ex Aizen like this

I'll post up something in Benny's Anime Corner about what I currently own in my Anime Collection. I recently finished watching Ranma 1/2: Director's cut.

Guilty Crown is a STOIC and very witty Series. I usually have everything in Dual Audio.

Am almost done with Fate / Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks

I'm on the last 3 episodes. The expository detail they go into in these final few episodes is welcome detail in answering some questions, the animation is sleeker and the fights more stylish. I've enjoyed UBW but I liked Zero more. 

Deus Ex Aizen and Avvercus like this

20 hours ago, supernal said:

Am almost done with Fate / Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks

I'm on the last 3 episodes. The expository detail they go into in these final few episodes is welcome detail in answering some questions, the animation is sleeker and the fights more stylish. I've enjoyed UBW but I liked Zero more. 

You watched them in the reverse order they were originally presented lol. Be glad you didn't have to watch the original Fate/Stay Night. The visual quality was pretty awful. If you're interested, there's a visual novel for it that goes in to much more detail on that holy grail war. Actually, there's quite a few visual novels for the nasu-verse, especially the Fate series, that haven't been adapted into anime yet. 

I would highly suggest you watch Kara no kyoukai. It's a series of 6 movies set in the same world, but an alternate time line and completely different characters and story. The visual quality is some of the best I've ever seen in anime.

I just finished Vivid Strike. I'd give it a decent 7.5/10. It's set in the nanoha universe and it is literally magical girl competitive MMA complete with a tense friendship and troubled past storyline. It got me pumped up to get back into kick boxing, and watching magical girls punch each other in the face was really fun.

I'm currently rewatching Zetsuen no Tempest. 10/10 anime of the year 2012 if you ask me. Its an end of the world scenario William Shakespeare inspired tragedy. Modern, Murder mystery, romance, action, interesting take on magic, plot twists galore, unique but relatable characters, minimal fanservice. Absolutely amazing. They spent several episodes on a single scene where three characters were trying to out bullshit each other in a logical Mexican stand off. Definitely worth picking up. 

supernal likes this

27 minutes ago, Avvercus said:

You watched them in the reverse order they were originally presented lol. Be glad you didn't have to watch the original Fate/Stay Night. The visual quality was pretty awful. If you're interested, there's a visual novel for it that goes in to much more detail on that holy grail war. Actually, there's quite a few visual novels for the nasu-verse, especially the Fate series, that haven't been adapted into anime yet. 

I would highly suggest you watch Kara no kyoukai. It's a series of 6 movies set in the same world, but an alternate time line and completely different characters and story. The visual quality is some of the best I've ever seen in anime.

I just finished Vivid Strike. I'd give it a decent 7.5/10. It's set in the nanoha universe and it is literally magical girl competitive MMA complete with a tense friendship and troubled past storyline. It got me pumped up to get back into kick boxing, and watching magical girls punch each other in the face was really fun.

I'm currently rewatching Zetsuen no Tempest. 10/10 anime of the year 2012 if you ask me. Its an end of the world scenario William Shakespeare inspired tragedy. Modern, Murder mystery, romance, action, interesting take on magic, plot twists galore, unique but relatable characters, minimal fanservice. Absolutely amazing. They spent several episodes on a single scene where three characters were trying to out bullshit each other in a logical Mexican stand off. Definitely worth picking up. 

I know Bladeworks came out later but Zero is supposed to be a prologue to that so speaking in terms of canon, I viewed them in chronological order.

You can't fool me. 

I plan on watching the original anyway. As long as the animation isn't obnoxious, I favor story (though both being high quality is of course best) and am interested in how they differ and in what. 

Another member / friend recommended this Kara anime. I already planned on watching it because he's pretty exacting with what he recommends and we have similar tastes, but now it's definitely at the top of the list. 

And hey, I'm also watching Zetsuen! I'm about halfway done with the anime now and thoroughly enjoying it. 

Avvercus likes this

1 hour ago, supernal said:

I know Bladeworks came out later but Zero is supposed to be a prologue to that so speaking in terms of canon, I viewed them in chronological order.

You can't fool me. 

I plan on watching the original anyway. As long as the animation isn't obnoxious, I favor story (though both being high quality is of course best) and am interested in how they differ and in what. 

Another member / friend recommended this Kara anime. I already planned on watching it because he's pretty exacting with what he recommends and we have similar tastes, but now it's definitely at the top of the list. 

And hey, I'm also watching Zetsuen! I'm about halfway done with the anime now and thoroughly enjoying it. 

>_> I mean, yeah, but... Whoever heard of someone watching starwars for the first time and starting with anything but episode 4?

You are correct in that there are some big differences between F/SN and UBW. There is also one more major storyline for the visual novel that I hope gets animated at some point too. 

That's awesome dude. Zetsuen is one of my favorites. Let me know what you thought when you're done.

I'm going to briefly bring this thread to a screeching halt.

Kimi No Na Wa.

Please watch it, preferably with the knowledge that you will not need the ability to feel emotion for the next 8 hours to a week.

It is easily the pinnacle of all that is beautiful. The best anime that has ever appeared, period.

(I do not say possibly, because to say that it is "possibly" the best is to insult it.)

Don't get me wrong, I love Fate, and Lyrical Nanoha, and all that nice shit, but it's the same way that I might like Harry Potter, as opposed to liking East of Eden, or Lolita. Kimi no na wa isn't entertainment. It's the emotion of love and loss and everything, distilled into the particular medium of anime. I hold doubts as to whether any anime will ever be made that surpasses this one in its genre. And I'm really, really not joking.

Thanks for your time.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, Mag said:

I'm going to briefly bring this thread to a screeching halt.

Kimi No Na Wa.

Please watch it, preferably with the knowledge that you will not need the ability to feel emotion for the next 8 hours to a week.

It is easily the pinnacle of all that is beautiful. The best anime that has ever appeared, period.

(I do not say possibly, because to say that it is "possibly" the best is to insult it.)

Don't get me wrong, I love Fate, and Lyrical Nanoha, and all that nice shit, but it's the same way that I might like Harry Potter, as opposed to liking East of Eden, or Lolita. Kimi no na wa isn't entertainment. It's the emotion of love and loss and everything, distilled into the particular medium of anime. I hold doubts as to whether any anime will ever be made that surpasses this one in its genre. And I'm really, really not joking.

Thanks for your time.

Hand Shakers is ONE OF THE MOST VISUALLY-STUNNING Anime Series I have EVER seen in my LIFE, and I have CLOSE to 4.5 PETABYTES Of Anime and it is still growing. I think go-hands! MAY have lost their MINDS on this one!!! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Benny

I am currently re-watching Fairy Tail, undubbed!

I started this series several years ago, because my ex boyfriend kept pestering me to stop ignoring my Japanese culture and watch this anime. I said no.

For two years, I said no. I was done. I was tired of being harassed and bullied for enjoying what I enjoy. I stopped watching anime, and manga got expensive. I could have read scans online but translations weren't reliable at the time.

Finally I was bored and sick(when aren't I?) one day and sat down.

First episode was weird.

Second episode sucked.

Third episode was boring.

I was p-sure I was going to hate everything about this and was prepared to write it off as a total loss. I kept going.

God. Keep going. Don't stop. (That's what she said!)

To this day I am sorry I didn't listen to him sooner, because finally the right moment hit and I. Got. Hooked.

I have not looked back ever since. Fairy Tail has been such an inspiration for me that I literally designed my character's kit as Lucy and Erza's lovechild. As a certified nerd, I also own all Celestial Gateway Keys.

Above all else, I love the soundtrack--it is hands down one of my favorite OSTs out there. I love seeing the Guild grow. I love seeing the hardships. I love seeing the teamwork. Fairy Tail to me, demonstrates true friendship and family. I would want those guys in my corner, and I strive to adhere to the same values and principles.

Each season brought on bigger challenges, more character depth. And it's not like HERE'S A CHARACTER AND YOU NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN, no. There's always a throw back, or some tie in, or some deeper plot at hand. There are times that I truly feel sorry for the shit a character is going through. But I like their resilience.

I'm not a big fan of the dub, but I am a major fan of this anime. I don't think I will ever get tired of going back and finding inspiration from it. Solid 14/10

9 hours ago, Deus Ex Aizen said:

I am currently re-watching Fairy Tail, undubbed!

I started this series several years ago, because my ex boyfriend kept pestering me to stop ignoring my Japanese culture and watch this anime. I said no.

For two years, I said no. I was done. I was tired of being harassed and bullied for enjoying what I enjoy. I stopped watching anime, and manga got expensive. I could have read scans online but translations weren't reliable at the time.

Finally I was bored and sick(when aren't I?) one day and sat down.

First episode was weird.

Second episode sucked.

Third episode was boring.

I was p-sure I was going to hate everything about this and was prepared to write it off as a total loss. I kept going.

God. Keep going. Don't stop. (That's what she said!)

To this day I am sorry I didn't listen to him sooner, because finally the right moment hit and I. Got. Hooked.

I have not looked back ever since. Fairy Tail has been such an inspiration for me that I literally designed my character's kit as Lucy and Erza's lovechild. As a certified nerd, I also own all Celestial Gateway Keys.

Above all else, I love the soundtrack--it is hands down one of my favorite OSTs out there. I love seeing the Guild grow. I love seeing the hardships. I love seeing the teamwork. Fairy Tail to me, demonstrates true friendship and family. I would want those guys in my corner, and I strive to adhere to the same values and principles.

Each season brought on bigger challenges, more character depth. And it's not like HERE'S A CHARACTER AND YOU NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN, no. There's always a throw back, or some tie in, or some deeper plot at hand. There are times that I truly feel sorry for the shit a character is going through. But I like their resilience.

I'm not a big fan of the dub, but I am a major fan of this anime. I don't think I will ever get tired of going back and finding inspiration from it. Solid 14/10

I really can't stand the sub...The dub is pretty good. But my god, if you read the manga it gets pretty dark.

My main oc is basically based after Laxus, Natsu and Gajeel combined. 

I took inspiration from other series before that but lol.

I wish I could say I watch the subs but I try to avoid them unless that's all that's available. I think I've enjoyed the character development for Laxus and Gajeel the most. Both amazing in their own right!

Metty the Cutiefly likes this