Nox

General Chatter [18+] Violence always permitted!

That’s the thing about writing and roleplay in particular. Many different writers in the world may have never met each other, never mind written together. In roleplay, we meet each other and we write together. 

So we’re essentially fusing our different styles together, different proses, first person colliding with third person, author POV vs character POV. For the most part, I’ve encountered few issues with this soup, but common ground can help.

For instance, as I learn to tone down on how much I describe a person, place or thing, I might start a rp thread with some meat in the details of the overall environment, fleshing it out. But I limit how descriptive I get after that. Reasons being because anyone can refer to the first post if need be, and can describe bits and pieces together as the thread goes on.

But so much still boils down to personal preference. Like Kitty, I often enjoy the purple prose, read or write. Other times, I’m after something quick and less meditative. Whether “a lot” is ever “too much” is subjective, but I do believe in a time and place for detail.

A character in a cozy cottage, where most of the story takes place, warrants some bread and butter in the description of the environment. I want to read flowery words on what makes the cottage so homely, what smells emanate from the kitchen, what grows in the garden.

But if the setting is a city street where a melee duel is taking place, description means less to me. I don’t so much care about who is watching or what stores flank the street. Unless the fight is PVP, then “he swung his sword horizontally from his left to right, attempting to slash across his opponent’s stomach” can be shortened to “he slashed across his opponent’s stomach”. Let the reader picture the scene and determine for themselves how the attack actually goes—if they want to. There’s no other rper who needs to know the orientation OOC  at that point, so who cares?

My characters tend to think about other people they've met on their travels a lot, even if the other character isn't in their current thread. Does it annoy anyone to have their character discussed in other threads? Do you care to read about other characters not included in your current thread, so long as they are mentioned for a reason? Does this even make sense

20 minutes ago, roboblu said:

My characters tend to think about other people they've met on their travels a lot, even if the other character isn't in their current thread. Does it annoy anyone to have their character discussed in other threads? Do you care to read about other characters not included in your current thread, so long as they are mentioned for a reason? Does this even make sense

It doesn't bother me. I like it because it creates a sense of persistence of detail. I like it most when it's actually people and their characters vs NPC/stock characters 

1 hour ago, roboblu said:

It doesn't particularly annoy me to have my characters mentioned in other threads. If the PC mentions my character in an incorrect way, I'll chalk it up to the PC not having their facts straight. The only time it annoys me at all is if there's no reason behind mentioning my character to begin with, and rather they're being mentioned because mentioned.

It's similar to the "All PC Tavern" effect. There's a tavern full of people, but each roleplayer posts their playable character spotting only everyone else's playable character. The NPCs are basically ignored and if someone else's PC is at a location in the tavern that your own character probably wouldn't bother looking at, well, your character is going to look at it anyway. "Jack spotted the assassin [PC] in the dark corner, even though he was talking to the bartender. Jack also watched the elf [PC] as he sat down at the table, even though Jack really didn't care what the elf was doing."

I mean, there's just no need for the acknowledgment unless a definable purpose is provided. PCs in a tavern, PCs mentioned in threads they're not active in... You name it. If there's a good reason, then okay. If not, don't bother.

27 minutes ago, roboblu said:

I have a couple characters I do this with at times, one more frequently than the other. Most of my reasoning behind it is for character development. They look back at their past lives, past adventures. They have feelings, their sorrows; they have both lost people or things of significant value and sometimes they dwell. I don't mind my own characters being mentioned if for a reason. I do tend to agree with Die Shize in the above. You don't HAVE to notice everything, it just isn't practical that way. Nor is listing any character you by chance may have seen. Would you really have noticed the girl in red if she hadn't been dressed in a red dress?

59 minutes ago, roboblu said:

I love it! I think it's very organic, like what happens in real life.