Voting has reset for the month of February. Valucre is in the top 10 but we need to be in the top 3 if we want visitors to the topsite to see us the moment they land on the home page. So if you want to help new members discover Valucre, then vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

• Announcements

• supernal

Vote for Valucre [February]   02/02/2017

Voting for the month of February is open on TopRPSites! Vote for Valucre daily and help new members searching for a place to roleplay discover the same joys you have in Valucre. You can vote daily, so make voting for Valucre a habit. Discussion thread
supernal

First Impressions

237 posts in this topic

If you're new member (within 30 days of registration), you're invited to please a review of the site containing your first impressions of Valucre (50 words or more please) so that we can develop our strengths and try to fix our weaknesses, and continue to delivery a quality role play and writing experience. Edited by supernal

Wasn't sure if you meant right here or not, but here's mine:

Honestly, jumping into Valucre, I didn't know what to expect. My room mate(Xaeroth) found the site while looking around for places to rekindle an old RP flame that just itched to get out. I was kind of in the same boat there, just not so much on the such. So when I got the chance to read through it on the computer on my own I started to skim through the lore and browse the threads in the forum. Shit was deep, and really really vast. The activity of the site is what was first notable. I'd seen quite a few play-by-posts that had bleeped from existence, so that in itself was refreshing.

Reassured by what I'd seen so far, I started to think about ways to implement musically oriented characters, as Xaeroth and I had planned out a little bit together beforehand, into what was already there. The addition of lore system seems pretty loose besides requiring that you actually put thought into it. That's when the obsession with the character's story and their beginnings began. It's been a non-stop brainstorm work out kinks in our house for the past few weeks on Valucre and there haven't been signs of slowing, just adding on top of what we were already trying to accomplish.

Aside from the serious story development that welcomes additions and every poster that each thread can get to carry on each person's own desires gets a chance to be filled in, the actual members of the site are diverse enough to be a rather interesting group. The free chat subsection is topped off with topics for days and new ones pop up all the time. 'The Useless LOLs Thread' has enough stuff in it to keep me entertained for the next few weeks alone, it could almost be its own subsite for humor actually. And the 'Did you know?'s scattered about fighting for newest spot with bumps are rather informative. I actually took the beginners quiz thinking of storytellers in a way I would apply it to writers on the website, only to find out in a did you know that it was a designated forum position for people who can be contacted to help get threads moving again. That was the first epiphany how good the moderation system in place was, and how much true effort and motivation the members of the site devoted to Valucre.

Over all, I'd have to say that's it by far the BEST RP play-by-post I've ever been in, and I'm still trying to get things established myself. 'nuff said.

I have recently begun looking into online forum groups since I've heard one of my english proffessors talking about how much she liked hers. I have seen a lot that look inviting, but upon closer inspection is just a bunch of angsty 13 year olds that believe RAWR is I love you in dinosaur. This site is the first I have found that looks clean and welcoming to people who truly want to try it out. I hope I can get the swing of things and be apart of yall's community!
supernal, Rin and Chancesam like this

I'm starting to get pretty excited about this place now that I've read over the Lore, general FAQ and the like. I've been on several forum-based RP sites in the past, and often the community is too young or not friendly enough to keep my attention. Folks here seem sweet so far, and pretty mature, so that's a real turn on for me.

The layout is nice and easy to navigate. The market was a bit confusing at first, it took me a while to realize that there were several things to purchase, but other than that it's been easy to find the information I need without having to ask. I like the fact that each continent has its own "owner" and thus its own rules, some stricter than others. I also like that I can basically create any type of character (within sensible means) to RP with, rather than choose from a list of races and classes.

The site itself seems active enough - not too much, as I found RPGateway to be, and not dying for lack of posts either. This looks like a place where I can make a few friends and indulge in a bit of story writing, so overall, I'm impressed!
supernal likes this

I could say many things about Valucre and why I enjoy being here. From where I come from in RP, making friends, meeting a girl on DotCom and almost marrying her, to coming back only to find a place like this still existed makes me feel right at home. There are some familiar faces here which initially instilled some faith in me in regards to making this my main character's new home. Nostalgia plays a big part in my ongoing desire to write, and in my case, that feeling is rarely found in strange, uncharted forums. Though when I first began reading what people do here, seeing impressive threads like the Masquerade, personal creations that like Iselyr and Genesaris that in their own rite test the limits of my imagination. Things like that are exceedingly difficult to find for a person like me. When I opened that digital doorway and set foot in Valucre, I knew very quickly that I had no need to look further. Even now as I've been here a few months and I've become familiar with the community, I can still say that it just gets better and better being around this much inspiration.

Thanks for having me.
supernal likes this

Valucre... Very friendly in my own point of view. It is quite easy to navigate and everything is laid out quite well. Nothing it too strict and minds can flow easily as new stories and characters are created. Excellent staffing and not a lot of judging as everyone is different. It certainly is one of the better roleplaying forums. People are there to help those who are new and just starting with nearly anything, and getting fit into a good roleplay. Rules are very clear and well laid out, not all jammed onto one page that would be nearly overwhelming. Also, Valucre is quite reasonable with their time-frame of replying and certainly points out that if you have a missing member, you can still continue the forum with the rest of the group. Everything is clear, well laid out, and easy to get to. Also, whenever contacting administrators or moderators, they get back to you rather quickly. Very impressed with the speed of things!!

I am quite happy to be here c:
supernal likes this

When I first came to Valucre I was nervous because I had been on a forum of which was dead and all that happened there were arguments. Not saying I hated that forum and saying “all” were exaggerations. The point is I was worried that Valucre would be just like Jedi Sith. As it turns out it is almost opposite. However, before I give comparisons I will explain my first Impressions of this site were. Maybe I won’t even compare because no one needs to hear that.

When I introduced myself very few people said much to me, I felt kind of like the only person I had with me was Xaeroth because we both came from the same forum. I would express my opinions and I felt like I was being attacked for what I said wrong. So for very few people like my ideas even though they are creative and come right from my head. There was even a time I thought I was going to leave because I get shit from another site I used to go to I don’t need it here.

But, as it turns out, no one really gets mad at me, in fact there are a lot of nice people here despite how they might feel about themselves. My opinions change all the time but this is what I first thought of this place and some of which I still think.

So Carlos and everyone else keep up the good work.
supernal likes this

Well, my first impression was pretty much this, upon looking at the website design and such. [i]'Oh this looks clean...'[/i]
Now sure, the design isn't spazzy or flashy, but those things don't really appeal to me: I mean, as long as the website is functional and efficient, I wouldn't care if it looked like it was something out of Dwarf Fortress. ([i]Heh[/i]). As a programmer and game designer, code > graphics. Always. I used to be on a rping site where, regularly, we lost threads to the 'black abyss' and would have to start all over again. It sucked.

So after I first arrived, within perhaps 2-3 minutes, I was greeted by supernal. I was... surprised. And pleased. He made me feel very welcome. And soon after Rin did so as well. So I've gotten the mild sense that the community here is somewhat tight-knit, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I do adore the love letter from Valucre at the first. You know, how she's our mum and such? Quite dandy that, though if it was for real, I'd feel depressed that my mum feels she has to send me a valentine card for me. Sidenote: I'm only joking.

Okay so, the walkthrough. Very good. I was pleased. I like how neatly organized it is and it all makes sense, really. I also like that picture thingy that is like a 'go-to' route that shows your next step or something. I am, however, only somewhat experienced in t1 and I would [b]love[/b] to have a mentor to train me from the bottom ups. I just don't want to be in what the author called 'a powers' mindset. I do adore logic, after all it is Someone's thought patterns. But anyway, yes, I will so been looking for a mentor to treat me like a maggot in bootcamp. Yessum. Okay, back to first impression.

One thing I'd like to point out that seemed like an error to me, was when I switched to the dark skin setting for the website, I noticed the Notification thingy, when it had multiple notices from difference sources (private message, new visitor message, etc.) the space between each one was HUGE. Whereas in the ordinary skin, it did not do this. If anyone wants me to be more specific, I shall, just ask. I'm thinking though it might have to do with my browser instead of the website. I'm not sure.

Hmm... I do love how in threads, there is a 'printable version' available. Because, like, I don't have internet at home and so I save webpages. It's much easier to save a printable form of it than the regular thread page. Yessir.

I'm pretty sure this is more to explore in Valucure, but as this is simply a first impression (and not a lengthy 100k+ word review and analysis, complete with graphs and charts), I think I'll leave it at this point. In any case, to the site admins and those responsible for keeping the website going, I salute you and hope you continue to keep Valucre's cogs turning. Edited by Mikael
supernal likes this

Hello,

My first impressions of the site was very nice. The setup was a bit sketchy, but everyone was very nice and helped me find my way around.

The overall layout looks wonderful, very neat and professional. I was looking for a good role-playing site, because the ones I used before weren't that good, but now I think I might finally be on to something here. It looks lovely, and everyone seems relatively nice. At first I was a little confused when I read the FAQ, but then I re-read it and I think I understood the gist of it. I think it was my initial surprise at the whole idea of a huge story with lots of things happening everywhere that slowed my brain down a little. Then, when I understood, my reaction was that of curiosity and joy. This cat will(probably) not be killed when she jumps into the giant lake of magic that is this site.

So far, I absolutely love it. It's just lovely, the whole idea, the actual site, the people here, wow. It's just.. awesome, because "awesome" is currently the only word I can think of at the moment. And that is really all there is to say on the matter.
supernal likes this

[B]My opinion is what you want? Then it is that you shall get![/B]
So, I'm still pretty new, I'm not even sure if I'm 24 hours old yet here and I still have a lot of questions that need to be answered. I've yet to begin actually look into forums, but I'm still sort of browsing in and out of each to find any clues on creating a character and such. I've already assumed that my avatar is possibly my character. Aside from being lost and confused, I'm really excited to begin roleplaying again. I've roleplayed since I was 13 years old and I'd like to believe I'm pretty expert on the topic. All the old chat sites that I used to browse on are shut down, leaving an itch that has yet to be scratched. That is, until I began forum posting in cults on Vampire Freaks...then I soon began to realize that their amateur actions weren't good enough for me, I want something that can further my imagination, something that's easy to respond to. I've always hated one-liners because you can't reply to "She sat down." I mean, you could, but there's not a lot you could say besides of what your examining. Hopefully you guys can fill my satisfaction and so far..Your leading me to believe you can. I'm so glad I've found this site. <3
supernal likes this

Um, hello! I guess this is the right place to post?
So, I was a member of a few different sites, but they were all avatar sites and not quite dedicated to RPing alone.

I've been looking for somewhere new to RP, as most of you probably have the same feeling I do right now. I just really want to RP, and find some actual sensible, dedicated people who won't just drop out on me after a week. You know? I actually didn't even know where to look, so I Google'd "best RPing sites", and this one popped up! So you guys have a wonderful reputation as it is. :)

Also, the message on the front page before you register- how comforting! It definitely pulled me in and is the reason why I picked this site out of the few I found. I really hope I can get into this site. Although I'm really nervous and intimidated by joining new things. I guess I'm going to lurk around this site, checking the threads to try and get acquainted with this site before I get started.

I don't know if one exists yet- since this is the first actual thread I checked out. But a handy guide for beginners would be lovely! If one does exist and I just haven't found it, ignore this part. (: I can't wait to get into this site and become a regular member!

[quote name='Dyiah']I actually didn't even know where to look, so I Google'd "best RPing sites", and this one popped up! So you guys have a wonderful reputation as it is. :)[/QUOTE]

D'aw. Actually, we have a James. Every morning he wakes up, runs across the country to Google's corporate headquarters, and starts kicking staff in the head until someone puts Valucre on the first page of Google search results.

[quote name='Tebo']D'aw. Actually, we have a [s]James[/s] Nette. Every morning she wakes up, runs across the country to Google's corporate headquarters, and starts kicking staff in the head until someone puts Valucre on the first page of Google search results.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

I'm a newbie, in case that wasn't evident by me posting in this thread.
I love the layout of the site, and the people here seem pretty fun and nice. I had a bit of trouble signing up, but I see no reason for that to be a bad thing. I do have a rather strange e-mail, so it's perfectly acceptable for the site to think I'm a spammer. ^^'
But supernal helped me out and now I have arrived on this beautiful site!
I saw the site a while back, but I never signed up. The community seems like a lot of fun to hang around and talk to.
I'm pretty excited about this site, and I hope we will all have fun and be the best of friends here!