Voting has reset for the month of July. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

• Announcements

• supernal

Vote for Valucre [July]   05/16/2017

Voting for the month of July is open on TopRPSites! Vote for Valucre daily and help new members searching for a place to roleplay discover the same joys you have in Valucre. You can vote daily, so make voting for Valucre a habit. Discussion thread
Refrigerator

Useful Writing Resources

118 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, The Hummingbird said:

I was taught to know this. I was taught I should follow it. I never did, and I never do. And you know what? It seems to work out.

LOL  I was already writing novels and doing this when I first saw this graph.  I was doing it naturally, without the graph.  I just thought it might help someone else.  So I understand if you didn't really need it.  It's kind of the basics. 

16 hours ago, The Hummingbird said:

I was taught to know this. I was taught I should follow it. I never did, and I never do. And you know what? It seems to work out.

13 hours ago, Misanthropy said:

You can find all sorts of crap on youtube these days. 

9 hours ago, Mickey Flash said:

LOL  I was already writing novels and doing this when I first saw this graph.  I was doing it naturally, without the graph.  I just thought it might help someone else.  So I understand if you didn't really need it.  It's kind of the basics. 

If you're not posting a resource or correction, please refrain from cluttering the thread (see first post for rules). :sweat:

So I was looking for details about writing death like physically, would they really say their dramatic last words, make choking sounds then simply fall over? But while looking for something like that I found a small but very good guide to writing a death scene. Though it doesn't get into the physical like I was looking for, I would say using it would definitely improve your death scenes.

(And if anyone knows or finds the type of physical death guide I was talking about I would appreciate it if you would post it here or show it to me thanks :detect:

So it was mentioned to me that I should post this here, since it is a very helpful writers tool. :)  It is a website called Springhole, my cousin runs it and offers all kinds of awesome resources to help people better their writing skills, come up with characters, and more. :D

Kingofgames12 likes this

Whathttp://channel101.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Structure_101:_Super_Basic_Shit
Why: Created by Dan Harmon, a creator and major contributor to Community and Rick and Morty, distills Joseph Campbell's Hero with a thousand faces breakdown of story structure into what he calls a "story egg". The six or so parts may take something like half an hour to read back to back but the (admittedly) simplified manner in which he tackles plot/story structure is useful

Kingofgames12 likes this

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but perhaps some vocab might help in naming threads.

Adventure: a trip with no destination

Quest: a trip to accomplish a task

Journey: when the trip is more important than the destination

Ex: I wasn't sure what to do next, so I went on adventure outside.

I must make a quest to the bathroom

To do some thinking, I take journey's down the hall.

supernal likes this

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQXpmvXACHWNElPMUtfaU80RVk/view?usp=drivesdk
A PDF of unique "cultures" for cannibalization/inspiration/general use. 

This product is written by James Gauvreau of The Oak Wheel.
It's being shared under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license without any modifications.  

If someone can find a link for the pdf that is available via James, let me know and I'll change it. As is, I wasn't able to find it and the license and link to his page should be enough to cover bases. Of course if administration has any issue with this, I'll take things down. 

For now though, enjoy! <3

http://chir.ag/projects/tip-of-my-tongue/

(Not sure if this was already on here; casually too lazy to check before posting...)

This puppy has saved me on so many levels be it writing papers or writing my book. Haven't used it quite yet here, but the day will come...anywho, this link helps SO MUCH if you're trying to write, and want to use a certain word, but you CAN'T REMEMBER THE WORD. It's sooooo helpful.

supernal, Mag and Verseilus like this