Valucre
supernal

Opportunities in Terrenus

Can I have a tiny island to house Scholar Knights? It'd be 10 people in a big college, with a functioning port and one commute boat. 8 out of the 10 people are NPCs that study and experiment. The two real characters of the island are Cure Aisling and Dick Bonjovi (Dick just lives there, renting a dorm room.) This location is supposed to be a place for players to come and grab books or seek independent study, as well as the protection of knowledge.

Location name: Carraig an Scoláire (Rock of the Scholar. This is Gaelic in real life, but because the Irish don't exist in Valucre, the reason behind the odd name being that the words were from an extremely dead language similar to the language Terrenian's speak. The reason they call it by that name, in such an obscure language, being symbolic of how the Scholar Knights must record and protect the smallest inklings of knowledge and history, no matter how insignificant it is in modern time. And, how dear these little inklings are to the hearts of the Scholars.)

Several things to do here:

1. A questline that can shape the island into a better place to do quests, as the questline involves unveiling a location beneath . I don't want to spoil what it is, so if you need me to clarify what the location beneath the island would be, we'd have to PM.

2 . !!!Not a replacement for the Gaian Academy!!! , as studies conducted here are on history, languages, obsolete or inferior forms of spells, or old poems by old men of old times, or the occasional dissection of an artifact no one knows the specific function of. It's basically a Nerd Castle, and there are no classes to take here. But, threads can be done by players in Carraig an Scoláire where they study to become a Scholar Knight.

3. Accessory crafting and study. Have you ever thought; Man, it'd be awesome if my character had a hat that acted like a Bag of Holding, but it doesn't exactly make sense for him to a. Start out with this hat b. Go searching in dungeons or some other adventurous place for this hat. In Carriag an Scoláire, one can come and do a lengthy enough thread where they uncover the means to craft an Accessory. They can do this through doing work like book organizing, accompanying a Scholar Knight somewhere on Carraig an Scoláire business, or traverse the winding archive to find an item in the maze of books. Threads to gather Accessories are medium length, and have the trade off of creating a 'subject of study' (a new opportunity or quest.) Alternatively, if the character already has the accessory, they can come and do work in return for having its power revealed by one of the scholars.

4. The adventurous, non-nerd type characters can do heavy lifting for the Scholar Knights, whom most of them are old farts in scratched up armor and robes of fading color. Or, they could delve into the questline, and do some adventuring afterward in the location opened up by the questline!

5. Become an Outrider Scholar Knight. As an Outrider, you depart frequently from the college, doing your studies on the go, sending your findings back in forms of letters and packages, returning only to receive honors/new equipment, or for Anniversary Feast, the celebration of when the college was erected. Outriders can participate in other lands' canons, and travel about. The folk who take up this job are lonely, with a lot of responsibility, as their very lives are important. Because, if you're dead, you can't tell your colleagues what you've learned. ...you know, since you're dead and thousands of miles away.

I, of course, would have to storytell for the threads, and it'd be all on me to organize the canon of the tiny place.

(I'm not even sure if this is the correct place at all to post this. Eep.)

On 7/27/2017 at 5:22 PM, Kasai Uchiha said:

Kasaigakure (Hidden Village in the Fire)

Idea (Abstract)

A ninja village that sits within the Great Pine Barrens. It is a place composed of like minded individuals who practice in the arts of ninjutsu. It is not just any ninjutsu, but magical ninjutsu that is composed of spells not too different from mages. The spells are wide and varied with some of them being very destructive.  Individuals from around the land who share in this art came together some untold number of years ago and formed a tight knit community that now seeks to expand itself as a public entity with offering of their services and growing their own foundation. At the same time, they continue to participate in activities that require secrecy and discreteness. They are publicly not known as a ninja village, which allows them to keep to their convert activities without leverage of their involvement in country affairs.

Idea (specific)

The village allows the land and the trees to conventiently make it remotely hard to find. The height of the buildings are always kept at a low enough height to not give someone a chance to find it. From the sky, if one were to look down, they would not find anything at all. This is because there is an illusion casted over the village that makes it appear  blended into the environment. The correct way of approaching the village is on the ground where guarded roads weave through the heavy trees.  

The style of the village buildings borrows a lot from old Japanese architecture.  The village has a distinct organization  that does not differ too much from feudal japan. There is first the farming fields which surround the village from the south. Next comes the village itself, where the bulk of families and major activities take place. Protected by high walls, it is the center of  Kasaigakure. To the north against its back is a large chunk of risen land not unlike a small mountain, which houses secretive chambers and underground compounds.

This village came into existence during a time when there was no order amongst ninjas that wielded power and secrecy as their weapons. There are many different tales of how these people gained this power and what was the original ninja society, leaving the history of their upbringing in the shadows. Still, a soldier without a leader is a stray dog. So a single person decided to bring together everyone who were part of this practice of the ninja arts in order to preserve mutual safety and the knowledge of the ninjutsu arts. This happened a century or so ago. Creating their own place of living, the various different clans and families reside in Kasaigakure. After a long time of forming stability inside their own village, they now wish to open their services more to the outside world in order to bring in reputation and profit to grow their society. While keeping it preserved in tradition of community-heavy culture.

Personnel

The village is commanded by what is known as a Kage. The official name for the leader is Shogun Kage, which means Shadow Leader. The leader can be referred to as the Shogun, but the official abbreviated term is Shokage.  Beneath the Shokage are the various staff members that assist with the administrative duties of the village, most being specialized to one area. The other defacto leaders at this rank are the clan leaders who each control a section of the village no different from a Feudal Lord. Each clan is a special entity in the village due to each one having a unique power amongst them carried through blood. The ranks from then on go to Jounin the military leaders, the Chuunin the sergeant level leaders, the Genin the standard level ninjas, and everyone else is either unranked or simple village people with their own occupations such as cooking, production, or whatever they need to do to keep the production of the village intact.  The idea of people being ninjas in Kasaigakure in the official sense is mostly a village centered idea. To the outside world, at least the few people who even know of their existence, only know them as a village with people of special power and martial capabilities. Only the most trusted clientele knows their true purpose.

Hotspots

So in the center of the village, the main walled up sanctity, there is the biggest building which is the office of the Shokage. Surrounding it are other official offices where the bulk of adminstration works go on. Around them exists other services that are more akin to a market and shops. After that, living residential areas which are either inside this section of the village or are outside among the farms. There is the academy whose function is the training of new generations of ninjas. Then there are the different estates of each special clan residing in the village. Due to their special abilities, they are more valuable to the village as a whole and so are given better privileges and prestige. At the same time, they are also only open to people of that clan and those permitted to enter their grounds.

Opportunities

Ninjas are raised for military and village-orientated purposes. There are many ways to help the village, whether it's doing a job commissioned by a client or doing a task that will assist with maintenance or expansion in the Great Pine Barrens. There opportunities for everyone whether they are a ninja or not. For outside people, Kasaigakure will have opportunities for more remote work that deals with tasks they will seek outside specialty for. The hard part is that for outside people, getting tasks that moves them closer to the secrecy of Kasaigakure requires a time of building trust.

tl;dr If your character is part of the village, they will have many opportunities. If your character is not part of the village, they will only be allowed a select few tasks until they build enough reputation to be allowed into Kasaigakure's trusted circle.

Good stuff! I didn't mention it so my bad but usually these are sent over PM so that we can easily trade back and forth without cluttering up this thread. I'll respond here this time but if you want to discuss further let's pick it up there. 

Abstract - "untold number of years" is fine but personally recommend coming up with something concrete as an anchoring detail for the reader. If you use an RNG and get a 3-digit number, you can use that, and if you feel the number is too high or low at least you have an idea of how you want to deal with it and use the number you prefer instead. 

"They are publicly not known as a ninja village" is also fine but may be a better detail if you contrast it against whatever kind of village they ARE known as publicly. Usually the "type" of village will be what it's main industry is, like fishing or farming or something. Again not necessary, just a thought that jumps out at me. 

Idea - You may want to either describe the Japanese architecture with architecture terminology to describe what you mean or replace with a reference to Weland instead of Japan, since the architecture is similar enough to keep the parallel intact in my opinion. You can keep it but I find that the more you reference real world locations, which is sometimes unavoidably and may be unavoidable here, the more it pulls the reader out of your magic circle. 

The single person that brought everyone together. Are they going to be a notable person either as an NPC in the history or a playable character? Or is it meant to be deliberately vague?

Personnel - While the above are just my thoughts, which you can take or leave as the whim strikes you, the use of the chuunin/genin ranks is something that is specific to Naruto. At least I think so and by all means correct me if I'm wrong. But if so then you can keep the basic hierarchy intact but would want these names replaced by something else. 

Hotspots - How many estates / special clan families are there and do you already have names/abilities in mind or will they come into play later? I think it'll be a good idea to at least conjure up 2 or 3. 

Setanta, I'll be replying to you later on.

On 7/29/2017 at 6:23 AM, Sétanta the Hound said:

Can I have a tiny island to house Scholar Knights? It'd be 10 people in a big college, with a functioning port and one commute boat. 8 out of the 10 people are NPCs that study and experiment. The two real characters of the island are Cure Aisling and Dick Bonjovi (Dick just lives there, renting a dorm room.) This location is supposed to be a place for players to come and grab books or seek independent study, as well as the protection of knowledge.

Location name: Carraig an Scoláire (Rock of the Scholar. This is Gaelic in real life, but because the Irish don't exist in Valucre, the reason behind the odd name being that the words were from an extremely dead language similar to the language Terrenian's speak. The reason they call it by that name, in such an obscure language, being symbolic of how the Scholar Knights must record and protect the smallest inklings of knowledge and history, no matter how insignificant it is in modern time. And, how dear these little inklings are to the hearts of the Scholars.)

Several things to do here:

1. A questline that can shape the island into a better place to do quests, as the questline involves unveiling a location beneath . I don't want to spoil what it is, so if you need me to clarify what the location beneath the island would be, we'd have to PM.

2 . !!!Not a replacement for the Gaian Academy!!! , as studies conducted here are on history, languages, obsolete or inferior forms of spells, or old poems by old men of old times, or the occasional dissection of an artifact no one knows the specific function of. It's basically a Nerd Castle, and there are no classes to take here. But, threads can be done by players in Carraig an Scoláire where they study to become a Scholar Knight.

3. Accessory crafting and study. Have you ever thought; Man, it'd be awesome if my character had a hat that acted like a Bag of Holding, but it doesn't exactly make sense for him to a. Start out with this hat b. Go searching in dungeons or some other adventurous place for this hat. In Carriag an Scoláire, one can come and do a lengthy enough thread where they uncover the means to craft an Accessory. They can do this through doing work like book organizing, accompanying a Scholar Knight somewhere on Carraig an Scoláire business, or traverse the winding archive to find an item in the maze of books. Threads to gather Accessories are medium length, and have the trade off of creating a 'subject of study' (a new opportunity or quest.) Alternatively, if the character already has the accessory, they can come and do work in return for having its power revealed by one of the scholars.

4. The adventurous, non-nerd type characters can do heavy lifting for the Scholar Knights, whom most of them are old farts in scratched up armor and robes of fading color. Or, they could delve into the questline, and do some adventuring afterward in the location opened up by the questline!

5. Become an Outrider Scholar Knight. As an Outrider, you depart frequently from the college, doing your studies on the go, sending your findings back in forms of letters and packages, returning only to receive honors/new equipment, or for Anniversary Feast, the celebration of when the college was erected. Outriders can participate in other lands' canons, and travel about. The folk who take up this job are lonely, with a lot of responsibility, as their very lives are important. Because, if you're dead, you can't tell your colleagues what you've learned. ...you know, since you're dead and thousands of miles away.

I, of course, would have to storytell for the threads, and it'd be all on me to organize the canon of the tiny place.

(I'm not even sure if this is the correct place at all to post this. Eep.)

Sure. 

I think you'd be better off placing this on one of the existing islands and leveraging their space, like Amalia or Biazo Isle or Ursa Madeum, but if you want a much smaller islet somewhere for a more finite space to control that's fine too. 

Your reasoning behind linguistics/semantics of the use of Gaelic is fine with me.

In all this sounds like a fine adventuring hub. If you fill out one of the templates, like the CAW one earlier in the thread or one of the more detailed templates if the spirit moves you, then you can post that in the Seas and Ocean board and get it pinned to act as a setting, info, and hub/play thread for your area. 

The point was the island be really small, only big enough for it to fit the college and a dock, but thanks a lot for the offer on connecting to Biazo or Amalia. Thank you so much for letting me do this, and I hope you enjoy the threads I make!

7 minutes ago, The Sun Chosen said:

I wish to make start a quest line to establish a dense town on an island part of Ursa Madeum.

That sounds good to me 

do you want to build it literally, roleplay incorporating making buildings and expanding the perimeter (can happen in the background and tedious construction does not need to be a part of your posts) 

or do you want to have it established and use the quest line to "unlock" / develop it?

I would like to unlock it, mainly as an abandoned town filled with an evil presence that my character Marceline will exercise and then start to fill it with people and reestablish it as a city.

6 minutes ago, The Sun Chosen said:

I would like to unlock it, mainly as an abandoned town filled with an evil presence that my character Marceline will exercise and then start to fill it with people and reestablish it as a city.

Sounds neat. I'm all for that 

38 minutes ago, The Sun Chosen said:

31 minutes ago, supernal said:

Sounds neat. I'm all for that 

Sweet. More activity and I haven't even finished takin it over yet. 

A+