Voting has reset for the month of March. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

supernal

Terrenus | AMA (Ask me anything)

596 posts in this topic

Ask me anything that you want to know about Terrenus. I may link you to a thread or article if I feel the answer is already sufficiently answered elsewhere, and also make sure to update the appropriate articles to address any commonly asked questions.

For now, your main resource for all things Terrenus should be the Terrenus Landing Page.

Though I am the board leader for all of Terrenus there is a certain level of compartmentalization that occurs with the Regents, who have creative control over the cities they rule. Message them for questions about their specific cities, especially regarding the city's future as opposed to its past. Below is a list of the regents and their domains: 

Ignatz - N/A (off-menu for supernal reasons)
Casper - Lastlight
Tia - amenities
Palgard - N/A 
Ashville - Acies ab Vesania
Last Chance - Noko
Blairville - Suta
Hell's Gate - N/A
Patia - Roen
Biazo Isle - N/A
Weland - N/A (Tentative PandaHat)
Dougton - N/A (off-menu for supernal reasons)

Edited by supernal

What information is there in terms of Terrenus communication facilities - while I'm aware they have 'computers' and touch screens in their gem-magic styled versions of tech, what about communication, such as texting, phones, the internet, chatrooms, etc?  From a roleplaying perspective this would actually allow players to stay in touch across the land, assuming they have Terran-level technology and such devices would recieve a signal in places like, say, Genesaris.

Also, it looks like nobody else has posted in here - is this just because people usually ask through PMs or are we supposed to ask that way regularly and not actually post here at all?  I'm unsure as to which is being communicated here.

Edited by Zodai
supernal likes this

Good question.

Let me start off by addressing something in the last piece of your post. Terrenus and Genesaris actually have an armistice, meaning that they are at war but in a tentative state where they aren't openly attacking one another; think like the cold war between the US and Russia, kind of. Communication systems wouldn't exist between the two continents really.

In any case, for wide-level communications there are holo-arrays based in the crystal computing systems you mentioned and that I referenced in the other thread of yours. These are basically giant crystal balls able to project holograms and the main device used to communicate Daily Weekly and other news info in-character between the cities.

There are no such things as phones, or the internet, chatrooms, or texting in terrenus.

There are personal devices, usually in the form of two crystals twinned to one another that allow for the transmission of both visual and audio. Voice, for example, is just vibration and so twinned crystals are able to oscillate and reproduce these vibrations at great distance with great fidelity; transmitting images works in much the same way, with notable difference being the amount of data that crystal systems can store and that they can usually store visuals in 3D.

Other than that magi-tech example, personal communication would tend to be magical. If not a more mystical sort of crystal ball use or magic mirror kind of deal, and if not other forms of divination, then probably things like shared telepathy, dream-speaking, "whispering" across great distances like the D&D spell or maybe using an air sprite to carry a message across, and things like that.

Right, then.  For more clarification, would this effectively mean that the method of communication for those who would rather not speak be writing out something, and then turning it into visual data with said device?  Or is this something generally considered useless within Terran culture?

Also, how does the armstice effect transport between the two continents - such as an ocean-crossing ferry - and how detailed would the security on these be?

Writing is a totally viable means of communication. You can still send letters, much how we still have conventional mail in this day and age of e-mail and digital communications, though most people would prefer something faster for obvious reasons I wouldn't say it would make writing completely ineffective.

Also, sometimes, writing is more secure than digital communications in real life and the same can be said of magical communications. Sometimes dream-talking to someone might expose you to more risk than just walking the 50 miles to their house to say hello lol.

But more to your question, for people that would rather not speak, there are a few ways to consider communication. It would be easier to communicate with pictograms and symbols with Terrenus's crystal computer symbols, especially if they interface directly with your character because of some spell or enchantment so he doesn't have to physically write them out. Telepathy is still an option too.

For travel between the two, since both nations have private industries, trade still occurs between the two continents, and there are people that may be coming from, say, Muhir which Terrenus is neutral with, but their route takes them through Genesaris first. So it's definitely possible and common, but I would say merchant cargo is more closely scrutinized than people are.

Understood.  That's all the questions I have for now, though.  Keep up the good work.  It's clear a lot of effort has been put into the world thus far.

supernal likes this

Also, it looks like nobody else has posted in here - is this just because people usually ask through PMs or are we supposed to ask that way regularly and not actually post here at all?

The exact opposite, actually. You're supposed to ask questions in the AMA threads pertaining to the section you wish to know more about. The point of having it here, open to the public, is so that your questions (and subsequent answers) might help future members browsing through these sections. For the most part, people stumble around in the dark because they're too afraid of "asking a dumb question", then when a situation arises (which could have been avoided simply by asking) they end up with foot-in-mouth "how was I supposed to know?!".

I was thinking about the Wastelands:how long could a normal
human survive in there?Asking because I'm considering making a story that
takes place there, and people might bring in humans: I want to know how soon they'd
need some help from the locals. As for the(currently nonexistent) locals, I
was wondering what a species of humanoid plant-people would need to
feasibly survive the desert and escape local Suujali predators.
(For example:how much water and sunlight would they need and how
heat-resistant would they need to be?)

I feel bad for the Suujali,such scary design and power
(magic-immune hide?), yet
they are all alone in a big void of
no posts. They deserve something to hunt for.

Someone should totally make a mighty hunter character, and kill
a Suujali with their bare hands, taking its hide for a badass leather suit
that makes every mage piss themselves as they helplessly flail
their magic thunder, bouncing off the hunter's suit like a tiny pebble
as he charges at them, shouting a mighty battle cry from 200 meters away
and skewers them with his spear in a flash. Soon pools of their blood mix
with the piss and produce a terrible smell.
Marquis Zantara likes this

@Mercury

Starting at the end of your post and working backwards. 

Morgana in Genesaris has some renegade Suujali's running around. There is a quest to hunt them down located HERE for anyone interested in some kind of hunt. The quest reward might be something you are interested in considering your interest in them. Unfortunately, it is not located in Terrenus.

You say someone should make a mighty hunter character, that should be you. Or gather others who have hunters to take on a task similar to this.

Survival in the Wasteland would depend on location and resources that person has with them. If I had to make a guess, the best chances of location for survival would be located closer to where the glacier and wasteland is, where water and precipitation can be manipulated and used for survival from the glacier. If they are plant-people, I would assume that they can use photosynthesis for their "food" intake to gain energy. Coincidentally, there is plenty of sun there! Unfortunately, per-lore, the Wasteland is off limits to citizens and people... but if you put something together and commit to it, then you can make it canon if you put the time in. 

Per lore:

Average high temperatures range between 115 °F and 150 °F for multiple months, and average low temperatures range from 80 °F to 90 °F.

These ranges of temperatures are fairly survivable for normal humans as long as they have adequate water intake. I've personally experienced 125 *F, and I was drinking water constantly. So, considering Valucre is a fantasy world... 150F is easily doable with very little tweaking. 

As for the Suujali problem you would probably face, I would assume these plant people would have some kind of territorial defenses to fend themselves. This of course would be apart of the cannonization process where the abilities of said group is literally limited by your own imagination. The plant-people could use camouflage, can be warrior-types, or capable of escaping through fleeing methods... the options are endless and would be a part of your lore for them.

Hopefully I answered your questions. If not, feel free to keep asking. I'm sure others might chip in on anything I didn't cover.

Thanks for telling me about that rogue Suujali quest, I had
no idea there were any outside of the desert.
As for the whole hunter thing, mostly I was just thinking about how awesome
the Suujali hide would be as an armor, but it seems like it could be fun to rp.
The hunter guy that takes the strengths of the strongest predators because..

I wanna be, the very BEST,
like no one ever was.
To kill them all, is my real test,
To surpass them is my CAUSEEEE....

Yeah, photosynthesis+water would be the two main
ways they get food. For survival against Suujali, camo via
light magic/bending light seems good since then they have a reason to have
never been spotted in the desert by humans before it became
off-limits. Your territorial defense idea seems good, maybe they could use light magic to retreat
inside the dunes when Suujali patrol nearby.

All in all, thanks for the ideas, in a while I should be able to make a
water cooler thread once I sort out some things in the plot.

Maybe one day I will make Pokemon trainer master hunter a real thing,
he shall become the top of the food chain, mwahhahahahahh! Edited by Mercury

Question about Terrenus!

I see (or think I see), that there is manditory legislation registering magic users. I am wondering how far the scope of this legislation runs, and how stringently it is being reinforced?

Is it only in certain cities, or across the whole continent? Are there some or many areas where something as simple as an unregistered healing spell will have the authorities descending on you? Edited by Song Sprite

Question about Terrenus!

I see (or think I see), that there is manditory legislation registering magic users. I am wondering how far the scope of this legislation runs, and how stringently it is being reinforced?

Is it only in certain cities, or across the whole continent? Are there some or many areas where something as simple as an unregistered healing spell will have the authorities descending on you?

Can you show me where you saw it mentioned? I want to update that reference to answer that question for future users; it's a good one.

Anyway it is a relatively small legislation affecting only three cities so far: Dougton, Casper and Tia. In those areas the punitive action taken depends on the nature and intent of the spell. For many low-level types of spells or magical activity you would get a fine before you'd have someone kicking your door in, and it would need to be reported. 

Ok thanks! Hmm... 'it would need to be reported'? The authorities don't just monitor magical frequencies in the area for unregistered bio signatures?

I was trolling misc Terrenus articles and I found the safeguard act:
http://www.valucre.com/index.php?/page/world.html/_/world/terrenus/the-safeguard-act-r493

At first I thought it could be summed up as 'don't use magic for crime', with a possible (but less likely) interpretation of 'don't use magic at all without a government license'.

But then I read the trio of Daily-Weekly posts on registering the bio-signatures of all magic users (unclear in the articles whether the new laws mentioned there would apply only within certain geographical boundaries or have a wide area of effect), which is what led me to request further clarification here.

I have a question, are there any threads or quests related to the labrynth forest? Also, there seems to be very little canon related to the labrynth forest; might I be able to create another?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor