Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Voting has reset for the month of August. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

• Announcements

• supernal

Vote for Valucre [August]   05/16/2017

Voting for the month of August is open on TopRPSites! Vote for Valucre daily and help new members searching for a place to roleplay discover the same joys you have in Valucre. You can vote daily, so make voting for Valucre a habit. Discussion thread
The Hummingbird

Genesaris | Ask me Anything!

Genesaris is one of the largest boards of Valucre, focused around magic and magitech, but also providing areas for steampunk and high tech for anyone and everyone! It is the area to go to for airships, pirates, mercenary work, and odd occurences involving my mysterious magestorms.

Of course, with all these things, people may have questions! That's why this thread is here, for you to ask those questions and recieve prompt answers, while also helping others! Ask me anything about Genesaris!

If you're uncomfortable asking in public, simply shoot me via PM or IM me at my YIM, antediluvian_ward

Happy Roleplaying!

Magic of all kinds make appearances in Genesaris. Elemental magick (pyromancy/fire, hydromancy/water, geomancy/earth, etc.) are the most common, but psions, telekinetics, and general magic users are all welcome!

Elemental magic stones (fire stones, etc.) make appearances as general household appliances, acting as ovens and stoves, replaced every few months or years as needed by mages licensed for that task. There are leylines of magick that run through a city, generating power such as light, and may serve other functions such as sound (think of microphones, or a radio). Generally, if there is something normally seen as modern, then magic makes up for that lack of technology. So, magitech can also be a large part of the major cities of Genesaris.

What is access to general education like in the different parts of Genesaris? Not magical education, but for basic stuff like reading and writing. Is there any place in Genesaris where it would be unlikely for someone of average (or below average) civilian status to be literate?

In addition to this, does Genesaris have any developed or universal form of Sign Language?

In Mezthaluen (a city I do all the lore writing for), the poorest people of the Southern District have no access to education whatsoever. They comprise about 1/6th of the population in that district. Even others who are not among the poorest are given only 1 school, putting them in the worst ratio for student to teacher ratios, with as many as 50 students to 1 teacher. People in the Southern District are very poorly educated. 

Your link doesn't work, so I went ahead and did a little research.

The answer is yes, alchemy does exist. People can create objects out of other objects by understanding their state and composition, though it is a rare and difficult practice. Transmutation circles and, indeed, spell circles of all sorts are common in Genesaris magic schools. Spell circles for Earth, Fire, Air, and Water are especially known. Human transmutation, however, has not yet been introduced the people -most playing with the human body and resurrection is mostly understood as necromancy or tremendous, miraculous healing power, although you are welcome to be the first to introduce such magic to the world.

This is a question about Union Capital: Does it have a central

"town square"?  I know the Council HQ of Genesaris is

located in the center of the city from reading the lore description,

but is that a restricted area to the public, or do people generally gather around it?

Asking because one of my characters is going to place a help-wanted ad in

Union Capital for a thread, and I want to know if there's any canon spot in

particular that would be serve well for this. If not, I'll place the ad in a ready-made  tavern,

store, or other highly-visited location in the city.

There is a central town square, and people do gather around it.  There are guards for security who keep an eye on things so terrorists don't get through. You are absolutely welcome to place an ad anywhere you want, in the town square or in taverns in Union Capital or any building you can think of. If you need it, Union Capital has it.

I have a couple of questions, actually. Why? Because I enjoy being difficult. That's what I do. I make your job harder. And I question. Everything. Always. I'm like a kender. Never before has there been someone you will want to hug and strangle at the same time.

First, do you have any suggestions for canonization? I don't have big plans or anything like that as you will see when you move on to my other questions. I'm the sort of person who tends to sweat the small stuff when it comes to tromping around in someone else's world. So what sort of things can I not worry about getting exactly right when it comes to canon? And what sort of stuff should I keep a special eye on? With such an extensive world at my fingertips, I don't imagine Valucre Staff will drop the chopping block on me for missing a few details or anything but I still have to ask. I tend to walk on egg shells over little things like that and it can dampen my creativity so to be honest I'm really just looking for a little assurance and encouragement.

On to my character. I have been giving serious consideration to creating a character from Shrine City in the Cold South. So far, those two links have been my main source for information concerning the character's history. I don't intend on starting him off there but we'll see how things work. I plan on playing him as someone who is obsessed with magic and, for reasons I have not fully worked out yet has fled from his home and the Cold South in general in a pursuit of power. So far, I'm not even sure he is aware of the ends he hopes to achieve but whatever ends they are, he sees power, specifically magic as being the only plausible means. But coming from somewhere where magic is such a low priority, I've decided to play him as still being relatively unskilled and unlearned (and young) but with a potential that is hard for most (even him at times) to see.

So on to my question: Based off of the information I have just given you, do you have any suggestions for where else I might go to garner some more information? I haven't decided yet what sort of magic might be appropriate for him as I still do not know a lot about magic in Genesaris or even Valucre in general. I do know that I would like for him to start dabbling in a magic that might be considered dark or even just misunderstood; something that others might look at, then look at him and say that he is in over his head. So maybe if you could point me in the right direction as far as a more detailed list of types of magic. I've already found one such list here but thought I might be able to find something else. Are the details of magic left vague for purposes of creative flexibility between player and character? I'd hate to associate him with a particular type of magic to only have every other spell he casts be shot down because "his type of magic isn't capable of that". 

I have more questions. I always have more questions. But I'll spare you. A lot of my questions are really just me seeking reassurance in my creative freedom when it comes to Valucre canon.

Thanks. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.