Chappu

A Black Shadow [Quest]

A slow yawn exited Eodoxus's lips as he leaned back in his chair. Throwing both hands high into the dusty air of the library, having studied for several hours straight the lad was feeling quite weary at the moment. Yet he did not dare venture down the avenue of rest.. The time for adventure was close at hand.. Gazing out the window he watched the sun slowly set with joy glittering across his pupils. 'Yes. It is very close now..' He thought to himself before slowly cracking his back against the chair. At first glance the lad did not seem like much of an adventurous person, but as always looks could be very deceiving. Flicking his wrist the book closed with a muted slap causing some dust particles to fly up in the mixture of sun light and candle light. Pushing back the chair with his knee's the male proceeded to place the book back where it belonged in the herbalism section of the library. 'It's almost time for the little nasty to show it's face..'   Hiss mental voice hissed like a snake while he slipped his bag onto his back once more in the usual slanted manner. Patting himself down slowly he had his military padding on beneath his cloak just encase things got very serious.

What was he doing? Well he was going to investigate the growing scare of the town. A rather dark and consistent shadow that petrified it's scholars and even those who seemed to be the bravest of brave. "A portal eh? We shall gladly test out this theory! Yes yes we shall." A devious grin crossed his lips as he advanced into the growing night. Here and there people could be seen herding this way and that for their own safety. Even in such a well placed city with its soldiers, thieves and assassins still held the reigns or terror tight with their attacks. A slight scoff escaped his lips before taking a sharp right and down the opposite side of the schools library.

He had picked his spot wisely for a few reasons. For one he had kept a tight surveillance on the inside, checking everyone and or thing that roamed along the scene of the investigation. Of course in day light the shadow was not there for it held no power in the sun... Yet at night.. It seemed to be an ever present fear in the minds of other mortals. What the hell was it that caused them so much freaking fear? Just thinking about it made him excited.. He was so excited that he took up his parchment tube and pulled forth a roll. Undoing it slowly he picked through another pocket for the quill. Dabbing it in the ink he began taking note of this very moment and time.

Here begins the Tale of The Black Shadow of Morgana.

Witnessed by Eodoxous Le'Xard Banafield

It is a cool autumns night here within Morgana's walls, in the lands of the Black Queen a mystery stirs it's people. I had heard there was a Shadow blacker than any mortal had seen in this world or the next. Which in some sense is over kill but worth exploring none the less. So.. I took it upon myself to investigate this with my own two eyes and alas.. I am not disappointed by what I see before me. The darkness is like that of Death itself.. Or his cloak in the least bit. The air feels scarce as shivers slowly run down my spine. Is this fear? In place of the oxygen lack there is a thick fog which slowly begins to cloud my very sight. I am far more curious the closer I get.. The rest of my finds will be done with the utmost care.. Let it be known that if these Annals survive.. What ever reward this bears I shall leave for those who can find my grave. For no mysteries treasures should be horded by the dead.

Slowly blowing upon the ink to help it dry he put his quill away, placing the tip in the darkened rag he used to wipe the ink clean off the tip. Slipping the parchment back into the tube he took several steps closer to where he believed the edge of this shadow would be. With the moon behind him Eodoxus watched his own shadow mold with the main body of the mysterious section before him. Did he dare take a step in? His heart pounded with his chest and nearly escaped his through as he swallowed hard. Opening and closing his hand he crouched slowly picking up a stone. Hefting it up he hummed it at the wall section where the largest part of the shadow took place. He waited to see what would truly happen.

Edited by Doge

As Eodoxus approaches with caution after writing his nimble adventure thus far, the stone hitting the black shadow would reveal a series of odd events. The stone itself would bounce off the shadow as if it had hit the very wall it was placed upon. A clink of the rock hitting the shadow, as if hitting the wall, would echo once more as it fell back to the ground. It seemed that Eodoxus was grabbing the attention of several bystanders who quickly became interested in what he was doing.

Only the brave and curious would gather to watch the man examine the shadow that had been gripping this city with tension. Perhaps the reason for fear rested within the ignorance of the unknown. It didn't appear to be threatening in any action, but there was still nothing for the scholars of Orisia to stand ground upon. As if it was triggered by a response, the fog would thicken five-fold. Those who stood five feet from another could hardly be seen anymore at this point, and one could easily become disoriented in it. 

The shadow that rested on the wall would now react in the concealment of the fog; A gripping surprise would unfold as Eodoxus's shadow merged with its own. From the dark shadow that was presumed to be a portal, a blackened figure would erupt from the epicenter. The height of the shadow would mimic that of Eodoxus, even the build of the man before him seemed to replicate exact details in a dark and twisted way. Most literally, Eodoxus shadow would come to life...

The Shadow, concealed in the fog from many of the bystanders, would rush Eodoxus with haste. In an attempt to knock its counter part over, pushing into him, the Shadow would attempt to flee down the road. It seemed that the taunting creature wished for Eodoxus to pursue it. While there was no telling what was exactly happening, or why, or how, it didn't stop anything. As the Shadow of Eodoxus ran down the road, the black swirl on the wall remained... like a portal. 

Eodoxus recoiled slightly at the clank and drop of the rock from the wall to the ground. The echo surprised him a bit, even with the semi silent night the rocks bang seemed to cancel it all out without a problem. This portal was indeed odd as was it's next reaction to his action. First the fogs intensity increased to a point where even Eodoxus felt slightly lost. Yet he kept his eyes upon the portal alone just to make sure he missed nothing. He did not notice the people who dared crowd close to them nor could he hear them. His mind was zoned in on the twisted figure that rose up before him.

'Who the hell is that?!' He thought to himself while quickly tugging out two of his many dune blades. Preparing for what ever combat may come he would not let this sole figure deny him any answers. Clutching them tightly and close he shifted all the weight to his toes so that he could move the instant he needed to. An then it sprung! The shadow sprinted at him as it to barrel him over and escape! Like he could let that happen!! Taking a side step forward the edge of his toe stepped into the darkness while his left arm came up to cut into the side of the shadows body. Right above the hip area, if the arms were moving then it would surely get an arm too if he were quick enough to act.

Seeing the creatures main line of escape through this fog, Eodoxus would give chase! Whether he missed or not he could not let this unknown figure escape him! Chucking a single blade into the wall where the shadow had not touched, the metal sank into the stone. Marking his spot Eodoxus jetted off of the ground kicking up dirt and stones. With every few steps he shoved a bystander to the side and continued on working to gain his ground on the running shadow.

'Damn this thing is fast!' He spat mentally while leaning forward placing more weight upon his toes and calves. The muscles bunched and released propelling him further till he was at last upon the heels of his enemy. With one blade in hand he slipped the left one into his cloak drawing another from its inner sheath.

"Get back here!! You are my prey!!" His voice rattled out in a deep roar shaking his chest and some of the ground as well. The fog was short lived as they both exited the dreary setting and into the public section past the school building. Where exactly was this thing planning to go?!

Eodoxus's blade would travel forth and slice right through the darkness of the shadowy impostor. The feeling would be similar to slicing through the air, with nothing more than the tainted color of air gliding over and under it. While it appeared that something like a physical attack held little to no weight against the creature, there was much, much more to it than that. Yet as the mysteries behind the creature remained, Eodoxus would at least have one of his questions answered for him.

Moving down one street and another, the fog had remained behind. As Eodoxus perused the creature with such intensity, there would be no telling what exactly was happening. Even when Eodoxus yelled at it, threatening it, it would not obey. With a purpose of its own, this doppelganger would find its way to a pile of crumbled stones within the city. The site of the crumbled statue was rumored to be cursed by those who believed in such superstitions, yet the shadow withheld any signs of hesitance.

Jumping forward with a single leap over a rock, the shadow would finally stop. Turning to face Eodoxus, the man would soon realize that this shadow looked almost like himself. With no fog to blur the features of the shadow, it was easy to speculate that the shadow's figure was indeed a match. However, as the shadow stopped, it would show no signs of aggression or the like. In fact, it remained poised for almost a full second or two, stoic, empty, almost void.

After another two or three seconds, the shadow's voice would come forth with a low growl. The bass like voice reverberated the chambers that mimicked vocal chords as the words lingered through the air. "You must listen... there is very little time left..." The shadow said only these words as it tilted its head to look at the rubble pile all around him. "You must warn the city... an evil is coming, darkness like this very shadow I possess will rip apart all that is here if not stopped." The words came forth in warning. Perhaps Eodoxus would catch exactly what was said, maybe cause him some confusion? Yet the shadow would remain, prepared to answer any questions that might come.

With a low inhale Eodoxus swiftly took a step forward even as the shadowy figure leapt up onto the rubble all round. A deep frown crossed his lips as he remembered the light sensation of cutting through air alone. 'So he can't be injured physically..' He thought to himself before slowly making note of how identical the creature looked to himself. Quickly dropping both blades back into their sheaths he listened to what the being had to say.

"I will gladly warn the people but please... Tell me how to stop this destruction from happening... What must I do?" His voice was low and concerned for the well being of others. Despite his less than fond outlook on the civilian culture he could not let such destruction happen. It had to be by his own hands if anything at all.. How selfish.. Yet.. Fitting.. Quickly he took out his parchment and quill dabbing the end.

"What exactly are you per say? A demon? A creature of the deep? What happened to this place in particular... Was it you who tore this place down?" His mind slightly raised trying to ask as many questions as quickly as possible while making sure to keep on the subject to finding out how to exactly stop this being from destroying this place.. That is.. Should he fail then the evacuation of the city would be the fall back plan.. His death included..

The figure listened intently as the questions came forth. A slight liberating feeling would wash over the shadow, if such a thing were truly possible. It's low growl would continue, giving forth more information and answers to the very questions asked. "You must follow this shadow, and when it enters back into the portal, you must go with it to find the answers yourself..." The tone was mysterious but ever inciting as it shifted to look at the rubble on the ground around them.

"Who I am..." If only the truth could be revealed so easily. The shadow's eyes landed on a shattered placard on the ground, the letters upon it revealing Morga. The rest of the letters were missing, presumably with the other half of the piece. "I am no demon, I have simply taken the opportunity to capture this shadow and warn you. Once I release this shadow I possess, you must follow it. Once I have, there is no guaranteeing your safety." Another pause would allow the shadowy figure to shift.

A grunt would suddenly escape its darkened lips. "My power's on this shadow are fading, its being called back to the portal. To save this city, you will have to keep the evil from consuming this city's leader. The Knight of Diligence cannot fall to darkness... if he does... so shall all else..." With that being said, the shadow would grunt again and jerk forward unexpectedly. Falling to the ground, the shadow would lose its figure. It would no longer look like Eodoxus, in fact, it would look like a black pool on the ground.

The shadowy pool would slide around on the ground, moving slowly at first as it navigated back over the crumbled rocks. Whatever Eodoxus was writing, would have to come to a halt if he wished to follow the shadow once more. Instead of running however, or moving swiftly, it simply drifted. Drifting back through the city of Morgana. Moving up one street and down another, it almost took the same identical routes that had caused them to end up at the crumbled statue. As the shadow approached the citizens, they simply cleared a path and made way, staring at awe and bewilderment. Soon... soon, the shadow would be back at the portal from which it came.

Swiftly his hand moved with practice and near perfection as he copied down everything he could get from the Shadow as it spoke to him. His fingers were quick and the ink did not run dry as he scratched down every piece he needed to make sure this entire thing did not go down hill. As he opened his mouth to ask another question the shadow stated its inability to keep its solid formation of himself.

Nodding his head curtly he quickly dotted his sentence and began to follow the hovering dark spot without hesitation. Eyeing the rubble around him he was still curious to see what exactly would happen. Yet that would have to have to not happen if he expected to stay alive. As was his code to life; 'Failure is not an option.. I will go on successful or out the doors feet first..' Nodding once again to himself he rolled up the parchment and stuffed it back into the tube while shifting the quill back into the pocket. Zipping and tying them close, Eodoxus stretched his arms while tugging out a single dune blade in his right hand.

He made sure not to lose sight of the dark spot till they entered the ally once more. Stepping close to the wall the male slowly spotted his blade an took off sprinting to pass the dark spot. Reaching out with his left hand he clasped the blades hilt yanking it smoothly from the wall to freedom. Quickly he replaced it with a small note for anyone who might come by to read. 'Warning: Be sure to keep an eye on the Knight of Diligence. Suspected of soon to come treason. Under orders Servant of the Black Queen.' The last piece was just for some force and seriousness. He may not be one of her servants but it would help the people keep and eye out for the Knight. Another safety net encase he were not on time to prevent the destruction on the inside. Jumping into the air he tugged his hood up over his head and crossed the blades before him just in case. Now this!! This is exactly what he was waiting for!!

"Hey... You're pretty cool... You should... When I finish stick around! Maybe.. We could go on some adventures together!!" Grinning he disappeared into the darkness with the shadow as he entered. A large smile was spread across the lads lips.

The well placed note that was left behind was indeed well placed. Such a strategic move helped culminate success in the face of failure. Even as Eodoxus leaps forward and into the portal, following the shadow back to its originating point, Eodoxus will find some luck. Instead of being smacked off the wall like the pebble he threw earlier, dark tentacles would reach out for the man. Like an octopus, the dark arms would wrap themselves around Eodoxus and pull him in with his own momentum.

Upon the other side, all color would render itself void. Only blacks and grays would shine through. As his eyes would open, he would take witness to the very street he was just standing on. The portal was gone and it seemed as if nothing had ever happened in the first place. All the excitement and thrill of a catch seemed to be for nothing. However, upon further inspection, Eodoxus would notice that Morgana was no longer Morgana. It was not the same Morgana he knew at least. The streets were empty, the fog from before seemed to permanently fill the streets in a less concentrated form. 

Rain would fall slowly. A drizzle as each bead of water ratta-tat-patted on the hard ground. The buildings around him looked singed, burnt, broken and decrepit. Equally, the once busy streets of the second largest city in Orisia would seem as empty as ever. Within a second, the city of Morgana appeared to turn into a ghost town. Even the smell of death would linger in the air as the darkened sky enhanced such muggy-ness. [spoiler]3492idu.jpg

**This picture is not my own creation. Found on google. [/spoiler]

At the far end of the street, a cloaked creature stands tall. Almost 6 feet tall the creature leans against a large staff that raises to the same height. Upon the brown cloak, various runes and markings can be seen. A hood over the creatures head, presumably a man, would hide all facial features. Mixed into the fog, there was no telling who he or it was. Without hesitance, the creatures takes note of the intruder. Instead of charging in or attacking, the being simply walks away. All the same, the being held purpose and knew exactly what it was doing. Even if Eodoxus were to ignore him, the creature wouldn't allow him to roam free.

As his body was seemingly carried into the void all had felt perfectly fine.. That was until his feet touched down upon the soaking road of this inverse Morgana. With small droplets pattering down upon his hood. It was a good thing he pulled up his hood at the last moment, not only did it keep his head dry but it like wise hid exactly what he looked like. Much like the figure across the way whom caught his eye just as he landed. 'This place.. It's... unreal.. It reeks..' Screwing up his nose and face a small frown crossed his lips before he took several steps forward.

Looking all round he was not too keen on following the figure just yet. However he made a sturdy mental note about where and what the figure appeared to look like. Rather tall like himself expect with a staff and rune symbols. Must be a mage of some sort.. If not.. Something all the more deadly which would require his attention.. Later.. For now he had a town to sprint through an look for further clues.

First, he jogged quickly down the street with his blades at the ready. Examining exactly where the figure was standing he took a knee to guess the foot prints that it might have left. Be it boots or bare feet he hoped it would give him some idea of he were dealing with a man or mostly a beast. 'What the hell are you...?' His eyes focused upon the puddle filling foot prints. Slowly standing up straight his senses were alert and his hearing keen. Turning around slowly in a 360.

"Well.. Shit.. I must find.. That being.. If this is Morgana... Then it would be best if I made my way to the barracks.. Possibly Castle Heights.." Speaking to himself slowly, Eodoxus sprinted off towards Castle Heights without delay. His eyes peered back and forth making sure he did not get jumped on at all.

As Eodoxus examined the foot print, he would see that it was not entirely human. Though the figure that held the staff outlined that of a rather tall lanky man, the foot prints filling with water would appear to be almost monster like. Nothing else would be left as the being fled from sight, leaving Eodoxus to himself for now.

Down the street, a horror scene would be left on display. Dead guards lay face down on the street, against buildings, and disfigured from limb to limb. While there was no blood leaking from their bodies, indicating that they had been dead for some time now, the skin falling from bone would give some clue to the horrid past. For now, there is still no signs of any citizens... just fallen guard. 

Approaching closer and closer to Castle Heights, Eodoxus would see that the hooded figure appears once more just inside the gates of the Castle. It seemed, for some reason or another, that the being was waiting for him. Perhaps, expecting him? Though there was nothing to confirm such suspicion or not, the cloaked creature with his staff would slam the hilt of it against the ground. The gates to Castle Heights would slowly open, as if obeying some given command. 

Once the gates were open for Eodoxus to enter, the cloaked being would retreat inwards. Leaving the doors behind him open, the creature would enter the depths of Castle Heights. Retreating into the Throne Room, the being takes refuge onto the chair that sits center stage. Large pillars stand erect to support the large ceiling so high above. There was nothing too grand about the room, but its largeness would appear to be impressive considering the lack of lavish designs. For now, the unknown being would wait...

Sniffing slowly the stench of death and rotting flesh filled his nostrils which caused him to slightly gag at it's over bearing scent. 'Uggh.. How fruitful the kill but fruitless the fragrance.' He thought to himself as he slowly skirted ever pile of corpses and rotted flesh. Despite the semi cold rain the flies were thick around the piles weaving in and out eating their fill. Eodoxus's lips curled into a frown as the cold failed to seep into his bones as he walked. He was quite thankful for his cloak and clothing at the time. The warmth was much appreciated in this upside down city of Morgana.

Deep within his chest his heart pounded with excitement and fear.. Slowly his gaze fell upon the hooded figure who he thought had gone the other way. Remembering the foot prints in the mud Eodoxus made sure to air upon the side of caution. Not to mention majority of the bodies were around this area alone.. Another red flag would surely pop up as the being slammed it's staff upon the ground causing the gates to open.. 'Yeah... Not liking this too much..' His thoughts rolled slowly to the back of the mind as both feet lead him into the Castle.

He was positive the gates would close behind him without a doubt. Tis usually these kinds of events happened no? Maybe he was wrong? Yet again one must always be prepared for the worst and celebrate the best situations. Taking the steps one foot hold at a time, the Annalist made sure to adjust his grip upon both blades before his paced increased in speed. Bending slightly at the knees he skirted the floor with haste and silence, keeping out of the main section he moved shadow to shadow while keeping his eyes upon the seated figure.

Once he was within ear shot of the figure, Eodoxus stopped and bid his heart to be still within his chest. Steeling his nerves with all the mental strength he had the young man dared to speak first and break the dreaded silence.

"Who are you? No.. Better yet... What are you?" His voice remained stern and cold while his gaze never left the hooded figures position. Watching his outline closely he kept an eye out for the staff as well. Should there be a motion with it in his direction it would be paramount for him to relocate his position no doubt.

"Who are you? No.. Better yet... What are you?"

Ghastly green eyes peered underneath the brim of the brown hood. Even through the shadows, both eyes seemed to lock onto the figure and frame that dared question him. Such ignorance, such foolishness... such were his thoughts as he sat there with a wicked grin. An arrogance no doubt clouded the man, the creature, that sat upon the thrown within the Castle of Morgana. Who was he? 

"I am a God, and soon ruler of this realm..." 

His low, slow, old voice growled like that of a lion. Remaining motionless, he watched for any signs of moment from the man before him. Would he quiver? Shake in fear? What thoughts would be running through Eodoxus as such a claim was offered. Before another question could be offered, the proclaimed God would continue. 

"Those who have heard my name in this city have fallen. My very name is worse than death. Now that I have warned you, you may call me Xildax."

Each word would hold onto the next, yet the meaning behind all of this was still unclear. "Now that I have answered your question... who are you? And why are you not affected by the Inversion? What evil do you bare?" The question came forth followed by a sinister chuckle. Despite the concealed appearance, Xildax remained firm and comfortable in his position. It truly appeared as if he held the world within his palm, or at least the city of Morgana...

[spoiler]4jrrck.jpg***props go to the devientart artist.[/spoiler]

Edited by Ayden

'Hmmm a God...? A God...? Hmmph.. What is a God to a non believer..? Nothing but ashes and dust..' Thinking to himself slowly the mentioning of a God and being worst than death seemed to settle his nerves more than rattle them up. The figure of a being would have gotten his desirable claim had he picked more believable words the made Eodoxus quake. Yet now is breathing slowed and his nerves grew steady. There was no fear only strong disbelief and a hint of something darker still. Darker than a moonless night could cast upon a town shrouded in darkness. Frowning slowly the male rolled both shoulders back and shook his head slowly.

"Xildax.. I shall remember it so long as you are alive.. My purpose is your demise I assume.." Keeping the sturdy frown upon his face the dune blades remained ready as he relaxed a bit as not to lock his joints and muscles. This would enable him to move quickly at the first hints of trouble. Looking the being further up and down he had seen scarier things in his past and in his dreams. This was almost like a walking day dream.. Well it was for the most part however there was something real to his place that made him cautious.

"Who...? A good question... Why? Because you have no power.. Here.." Gesturing more to himself Eodoxus was not being cocky but extremely truthful to the being across from him. Taking a slight step forward his blade flashed within the dim light for a fraction of a second before disappearing back into the dark.

"You may call me Eo..." His voice rumbled deep within his chest as he bit back his slightly growing irritation. His adrenaline was slowly beginning to kick in as he swiftly started and finalized a thought process of action to take against the figure before him should things turn out to be a one to one show down.

Xildax could see the roller coaster of emotion fill and leave the man before him. Calm nerves had persevered if only to be squelched by the flood of adrenaline. The name had echoed off the room, a name that would not be so easily forgotten. Upon the throne, long digits would come to rub his chin. Curiosity filled Xildax, and despite Eo's fighting spirit getting ready to pounce, Xildax showed no interest in the sort. How easy would it be to show the man before him the error in his way? The head upon his staff would glow, mimicking it's masters own ghastly green hues. Should Eo make a move, he would be greeted with a swift counter.

"You are not from this time Eo. That is the only reason why the Inversion hasn't turned you... yet.." 

His voice was matter of fact and sure of it. There was only so many possibilities or reasons why such a power, a power that Eo was still unaware of -other than its name-, did not work. It was then that he turned his words back onto the man before him, a man who has intruded his new home. "Fighting is pointless. Even if you were to defeat me, it will not change what has already happened." Perhaps it would be now, that things would slowly sink in for Eodoxus. Would he catch on to what was happening? Or what had already happened? 

"I've defeated all before me. The Knight of Diligence is now my tool of destruction. Nothing you do will change that." 

The confident voice boomed forth with some excitement. Even if his voice was low and scruffy, Xildax couldn't help himself as he sat there. His free hand that was upon his chin had now fallen to the arm rest on his chair, tapping each digit against the frame in rapid succession. His opposite hand would remain firm on his staff. Would Eo pursue death? Or would he risk staying for more information? The choices, though limited, would bare heavy consequences...

Reigning in his thought of attacking, Eodoxus slowly placed one blade away leaving the other to rest in his left hand. He needed something to fiddle with while he worked to make his mind masked. It was clear from the beings reactions that it had some telepathic ability to understand where his mind was at. Blinking slowly his expressions and emotions slowly turned to mute as he took in everything that was said. 'Not affecting me yet eh? Well then.. What the hell does he mean? Obviously killing him will do no good.. The dead do on suffer the living to pass.' Shrugging to himself he kept his thoughts in his mind as he leaned on the pillar now.

"So.. Yet eh? What the hell have you done to this place besides make it no better than a waste bucket..?" Frowning his tone was even and his posture relaxed and alert. He was being quite blunt with this said powerful being before him. Yet he still did not fear this being, rather in the depths of his mind he slowly hoped the being would have to fight him in the future. The darker details were vague but masked quite well beneath his solid sub conscience.

"Your tool? That's funny... I am not here for your Knight... I am listening.. What else do you have up those dusty old sleeves of yours that would be worth mentioning." As it was he was purely out of questions only because he did not feel like betraying his position on what was to happen and needed to happen. It was obvious he needed to find a solution but he also needed information and it was best to gather it before he decided to act. Taking a step back into the darkness he peered around left and right to observe his surroundings. From the floor to the very roof top without fail. His 20/20 sight did not fail him in picking up anything key that might be of use in figuring out how to stop this future from happening.

'Maybe... The other outposts? Who knows... For now I must listen..' An that was exactly what he did as he walked around the room to occupy and keep his mental guard up and his ears open to what Xildax had to say