Voting has reset for the month of May. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

Cordeliane

Work Rants, unbelievably stupid questions...

247 posts in this topic

BWAH!

So I'm a HAZWOPER-certified (Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response) vacuum truck driver/operator, and I'm a particularly-OCD when it comes to knowing exactly where my shit is in either of the trucks I drive. I mean, if ANYBODY touches Bessie I or Bessie II and messes with my system, I go ballistic! Not just because it's a pain in the ass, but because it's reckless and unsafe!

Anyway, some stupid fuck didn't get the memo and completely rearranged my shit... I had to work overtime for three whole hours to get my respirator, SCBA tanks and mask, filters, cartridges, and canisters all how they were before WWIII erupted in the cab and storage bins on the side of my beloved Bessies.

After all this shit and back-and-forth yelling back at the depot, I come to find out that my boss's daughter was working with some people after-hours to inventory equipment for him. 

WTF SHE HAD NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT ANYTHING WAS, LET ALONE ANY SENSE OF CARING TO PUT THINGS BACK WHERE SHE FOUND THEM SDAFISHDFAIBDJAFIDAJKHGAJSBDFJAWBUEABSOIUFHS

Meanwhile in Aberdeen...

You're Not in Kansas Anymore! A Brief Tale of the Evolution of Man

Man walks in.
Stands there. Looks around dazed and confused.
“Is this Aberdeen?”
“This is Aberdeen.”
“…”
“…are you sure?”
“Yessir, I work and live here. This is Aberdeen.”
“Aberdeen, North Carolina?”
“The one and only.”
“Huh…”
Walks back out.

---

Moments later...

Points to the blue arrow on the map
“Is this where I need to go?”
“No sir, this is where we are. You follow the blue line and it will tell you where to go.”

“Oh I know where I need to go, I just wanted to make sure I know where I am. And this is where we are?”
Proceeds to zoom out to see the full trip on the map, “Where is this?”
“This is where you are trying to get to.”
“So what’s this?” Points to blue arrow again.
“This is where we are right now.”
“Right now?”
“Right now.”
“In Aberdeen.”
“Aberdeen, North Carolina.”
“How do I know what road to turn on?”
“It’s just like the Wizard of Oz, follow the blue line, she will tell you where to go.”
“It talks!?”

Posted (edited)

"Oh, so you're from England?"
Me: "Yes."
"Cool! Where's that again? London?"
Me: "No. Nope. London is in England."
"...Huh?"

"So what's it like living in London?"
Me: "Oh, I wouldn't know, actually. I spent most of my life a couple of hours away from London."
"Wait, I thought you said you were from England?"
Me: "Yes, yes I did and, yes, I am."
"...Huh?"

"England, that's in France, right?"

"England? I thought you were from Great Britain."
Me: "Yep. England is part of Great Britain."
"Oh. Wait, I thought it was the United Kingdom?"
Me: "Yep, Great Britain is part of the United Kingdom."
"...But aren't you from London?"

I mean, I could keep spinning it a variety of ways, but suffice to say that it never gets old.

EDIT: Totally had to add this last bit.

One of my favorites is when others are so sure they know the layout of UK/GB that it's as if they try to correct me when I politely correct them. Never mind the fact that I'm from there, and that most of what they 'know' is limited to improper terminology interchangeably abused, they just can't convince themselves that, wait, they don't actually know these things.

"Yeah, so I shipped it to Scotland in the end. West of your homeland!"
Me: "Ha, almost. Scotland is actually north of England."
"Huh. It's an island though, right?"
Me: "Nah, you're probably thinking of Ireland. Scotland is part of Great Britain; the biggest island of the British Isles which includes England and Wales along with Scotland."
"Huh. Hm. But, wait, wait, Wales is part of England's island? Nahhh, I thought Wales was its own island."
Me: "Nope. It's attached."
"Huh... Hm... Nah, that can't be right. Something's wrong there."
Me: "..."

Edited by Die Shize

Im sorry. People this side of the pond with no close british roots can be moronic

Die Shize likes this

Meanwhile in Aberdeen...

It's time for another exhausting round of Guess Britty's Ethnicity!

[ Tosses confetti ] Woo!

I hate everything!

Young man walks in, I handle the transaction

"You have a very interesting accent, where are you from?"

God help me, I hate everything...

I laugh nervously, because its' an inevitable conversation that comes up at least six times a day, easily, "Take a wild guess!" He missed my sarcasm.

"You're Spanish or Indian or somethin'?"

"Yup."

"Cherokee?"

"Pardon?"

"Lumbee, maybe. You look Lumbee."

"Oh, yes, I'm also Native American, neither Cherokee nor Lumbee--I'm Navajo."

"'Also'?! Wait, so what else are you?!"

"I cover every continent but South America and Antarctica."

"Are you British?"

"Doubtful."

"You sound English."

"Wrong country."

"Canadian?"

"Nope."

"New Zealand?"

"Nerp."

"Huh. Well damn. I don't know."

"I'm half white, half everything else. Australian is the accent you're looking for."

"Well you're just a mutt, aren't you?"

Fucking rude! Get the fuck out of my fucking store before I cuss you the fuck out!

"We'll go with that."

"At least you're not Jewish."

. . .

My brain was not prepared for that...

How rude. Well, "mutts" tend to be very beautiful people (like Britty). Me? I'm just a twinkie.

So this person comes in for her cake. It's a full sheet cake so it's huge... and what do you know, my cake decorator person didn't leave a top to put over the cake, and of course it's raining. She does this all the fucking time too. I can't find a top. I tear the place apart looking before calling my manager, who looks all over too before stumbling upon one hidden in the corner of the area behind shit. This took at least fifteen minutes if not more, and all the while she's just waiting patiently. I finally get her out of there and then the phone rings.

"Hello?"

Cue the most dreaded customer of all time - the Fire-Breathing Dragon of Rage who is infuriated I made her son wait for his fucking cake. This is a different lady, calling all the way from another store.

Her: "RAWR"

Me: "Yes ma'am."

Her: "RAWR"

Me: "Sorry ma'am."

Her: "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR"

Me: "Sorry ma'am."

Her: "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR"

Me: "Sorry, ma'am." *looks apologetically at a customer who's waiting (and listening) while this lovely lady chews me out*

Her: "RAWR You're missing the point!" *hangs up*

Me: *slowly hangs up the phone* "Can I help you?"

Customer: "Well, she was rude. You gonna be all right?"

Me: "I will be."

But that's not all.

I'm pushing my cart back to the room and I've got to veer through a line of customers. I say sorry and excuse me a lot. Then this lady barges through, very nearly collides with me and practically almost shoves me sideways.

Customer: "Hey, can't you say excuse me?"

Lady: "I DON'T CARE I WAS HERE FIRST."  Then, to me, "ASSHOLE."

Me: "... -_-" (if she was expecting me to qq she was disappointed)

Customer: "She was very rude to you."

Me: "Yes, she was."