Voting has reset for the month of May. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

supernal

Pre-registration questions for Guests

132 posts in this topic

This is embarrassing but I forgot my password. I am still waiting for the password reset email. Been about an hour or so.

8 hours ago, Guest Alexei said:

This is embarrassing but I forgot my password. I am still waiting for the password reset email. Been about an hour or so.

Nevermind, I remembered it. I do think there is still an issue with getting emails to reset passwords.

On 11/21/2016 at 10:30 AM, Alexei said:

Nevermind, I remembered it. I do think there is still an issue with getting emails to reset passwords.

Thank you for the heads up.

Can you confirm the email domain you were using? gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc. 

Hi, I have a couple questions before I join the site. Are one x one searches allowed here or do we have to follow a large story and also are pregnant character allowed?

2 hours ago, Guest Aria said:

Hi, I have a couple questions before I join the site. Are one x one searches allowed here or do we have to follow a large story and also are pregnant character allowed?

There is no rule against roleplaying with just yourself and one other person, though there are rules on how steamy it can get. 

Yes, pregnant characters are allowed. I can't imagine why they wouldn't be :)

Pandorite and supernal like this

13 hours ago, Guest Aria said:

This was already answered but just so you know I'm around: yes one on one plays are allowed and yes pregnant characters are allowed 

Would a person obsessed with rp, and only has rped on QuoTev, would they feel welcome and like it here? 

5 minutes ago, Guest Hi.. said:

Would a person obsessed with rp, and only has rped on QuoTev, would they feel welcome and like it here? 

Generally speaking Valucre is touted for having a friendly community. It isn't perfect and we have our rude members (and newbies as well) but there's a lot less drama and insanity here than other sites and if you look through our new member board you can see how the community generally responds to a new member. So I'd like to think that yes, regardless of where you come from and your experience with roleplay, you'd feel welcome 

Hey I've been searching for a good place to RP and I think I finally found an active place that suits my tastes. You have a lot of lore (which is a good thing, in my books) and I've read some of it already, but figured it might be quicker to ask a few of my more specific questions here. 

1. You seem to have a strong sci-fi slant for a fantasy rpg. I'm not complaining about that - I love variety in my rps - but I was wondering if there are many options for those of us who want more traditional fantasy or medieval/more historic/ancient settings. Settings that are more cut off from technology and rely on traditional, ancestral, or tribal magic. As far as I can tell, Genesaris is the least sci-fi region, but it also looks to be less active and less fleshed-out in its lore. I'm interested in playing in areas of the world where magic is still mysterious, not mundane, and the science is more on par with medieval times. 

2. While looking through your lore, I found myself accumulating ideas on things that could be added to or expanded in Valucre for more diversity or variety in types of rp. It seems you let players submit their own lore here, so I am wondering, how much would you let a newbie to Valucre contribute? Could I hop onto the worldbuilding wagon right away? Because right now, I know I have a lot more reading to do, but I have a lot of inspiration for that side of the site right now.

3. Since you allow all races of characters, does that not get confusing when people are using two different interpretations of, say, elves for example? Is there no standardization?

4. How does this site treat beast-like creatures like dragons, gryphons, phoenixes, etc.? Are they considered to be monsters, or are they intelligent races? Can you make characters of these races too?

5. Actually, speaking of races, I noticed a lot of the worldbuilding on this site derives from European fantasy and Tolkien. Are there any regions inspired more from other cultures and civilizations? Like, for example, the Aztecs, or feudal Japan, or Native American tribes, etc.? And are there humans of different skin colors in different areas of the world? Because just based on my cursory examination, the site seems very white.

6. Are there opportunities for both low-danger, "slice-of-life" type roleplays, *and* intense, survivalist type adventures? Because I love variety and diversity in my rps, so depending on my mood I like to be able to pick from either. I'm assuming you have a lot of intense and life-threatening adventures, but if I wanted, could I theoretically just have a character that lived a comparatively safe life and mostly had plots surrounding interpersonal drama or running a business or something like that and never really was put into danger? (What can I say, I like low-stress rps sometimes too). And just in general, how strict are you about life and death matters for characters? Because I don't really like having a character I've put lots of time and effort into being summarily killed off just because it's more realistic or something like that. 

Okay I... think that's all. I definitely did not mean for this to get as long as it did, but I just kept thinking of more questions to ask! I guess it goes to show how nitpicky I am about these things, haha...

15 minutes ago, Guest Curious said:

Hey I've been searching for a good place to RP and I think I finally found an active place that suits my tastes. You have a lot of lore (which is a good thing, in my books) and I've read some of it already, but figured it might be quicker to ask a few of my more specific questions here. 

1. You seem to have a strong sci-fi slant for a fantasy rpg. I'm not complaining about that - I love variety in my rps - but I was wondering if there are many options for those of us who want more traditional fantasy or medieval/more historic/ancient settings. Settings that are more cut off from technology and rely on traditional, ancestral, or tribal magic. As far as I can tell, Genesaris is the least sci-fi region, but it also looks to be less active and less fleshed-out in its lore. I'm interested in playing in areas of the world where magic is still mysterious, not mundane, and the science is more on par with medieval times. 

2. While looking through your lore, I found myself accumulating ideas on things that could be added to or expanded in Valucre for more diversity or variety in types of rp. It seems you let players submit their own lore here, so I am wondering, how much would you let a newbie to Valucre contribute? Could I hop onto the worldbuilding wagon right away? Because right now, I know I have a lot more reading to do, but I have a lot of inspiration for that side of the site right now.

3. Since you allow all races of characters, does that not get confusing when people are using two different interpretations of, say, elves for example? Is there no standardization?

4. How does this site treat beast-like creatures like dragons, gryphons, phoenixes, etc.? Are they considered to be monsters, or are they intelligent races? Can you make characters of these races too?

5. Actually, speaking of races, I noticed a lot of the worldbuilding on this site derives from European fantasy and Tolkien. Are there any regions inspired more from other cultures and civilizations? Like, for example, the Aztecs, or feudal Japan, or Native American tribes, etc.? And are there humans of different skin colors in different areas of the world? Because just based on my cursory examination, the site seems very white.

6. Are there opportunities for both low-danger, "slice-of-life" type roleplays, *and* intense, survivalist type adventures? Because I love variety and diversity in my rps, so depending on my mood I like to be able to pick from either. I'm assuming you have a lot of intense and life-threatening adventures, but if I wanted, could I theoretically just have a character that lived a comparatively safe life and mostly had plots surrounding interpersonal drama or running a business or something like that and never really was put into danger? (What can I say, I like low-stress rps sometimes too). And just in general, how strict are you about life and death matters for characters? Because I don't really like having a character I've put lots of time and effort into being summarily killed off just because it's more realistic or something like that. 

Okay I... think that's all. I definitely did not mean for this to get as long as it did, but I just kept thinking of more questions to ask! I guess it goes to show how nitpicky I am about these things, haha...

1. Both science and fantasy have very broad definitions and applications. The fact that we have, for example, things like vampires, elves, minotaurs and magic strengthen the fantasy concept of the site, and the fact that we have airships, steampunk settings, lasers, and mechanical devices, strengthens the science fiction aspect of the site. That said you can have any combination of either of those two or strong preferences for one or the other in some aspect of nearly any setting. For example, although Terrenus is pretty advanced from a technological perspective, that presence attenuates as you leave the cities, so that towns and villages are more traditionally fantasy, and if you get out into the settings (forests, mountains, etc) then you get almost no tech presence. The same applies to other areas even if they slant heavier towards one aspect than the other. 

To answer your question more to the point! Orisia, in Genesaris, and Elendaron, in Tellus Mater, are both more along the lines of the traditional fantasy setting that I think you're looking for. Renovatio and Alterion are more of a high-tech type of setting. Terrenus and Genesaris are more fantasy type settings, with Terrenus dabbling heavily in magi-tech, and Genesaris having invented airships and making use of machine guns in the setting. 

Let me know if that makes sense. Like I said above, pockets of any of the more advanced nations would suit themselves just as well to tribal, mysterious, esoteric type of settings. 

2. Yes. Members can start submitting things to user lore right off the bat, with no contact with anyone else, or submitting new lore or modifications to existing lore to board leaders. There's no time limit before you can submit these but I will say that longevity and activity on the forum tend to inform a board leader as to how seriously they can take a player's investment. It isn't the only factor but it is a factor to keep in mind. 

3. Clashes like that have happened, I don't know if I'd call them confusing. When I play a Terran vampire, and meet someone that isn't, I just say what kind of vampire I am and recognize that they're a different type/species/clan/breed or however I want to portray it in the narrative. There is no worldwide standardization but there are some specific races per board. Terrenus, for example, has its own versions of vampires, minotaurs, and so on. 

4. They're treated as both. You can treat a phoenix as a monster or you can treat it as an intelligent race, much in the same way you can have a "civilized human" and a "savage human". Since there can be different types of species, sub-species, cultures and clans, this make the divide very easy to play with. And yes you can make characters of those races too.

5. Take that Tolkien/European worldbuilding to be more a product of the members that add to it and not any direction from the site itself. If anyoen wants to source from any other lore or mythos, they're free to. Tolkien just tends to be popular and what most people are exposed to but certainly not what they're limited to. If you find that the site is very white then I encourage you to add some color to it. Many regions are inspired from many different sources but I don't know them all off the top of my head, and they tend to be pastiches of more than one source anyway. I can say that Nich'e is specifically influenced more by eastern religion than western and that there are likely more areas around. 

6. Yes. Nearly any type of roleplay you want can exist on Valucre. In the Valucre setting, as it is a planetary setting, you can have things that are romance, slice of life, or political, or you can have things that are action, adventure, horror, or mystery, or you can have threads that span all of these genres at once. What you can't have in the Valucre setting is period specific pieces, like 1920s Prohibition era New York, or London zombie apocalypse, and so on, but those sorts of play can be hosted in alternative. Yo ucan very much have what you seek in a character whose play has more to do with interpersonal relationships and less to do with fighting monsters, and I've seen this done often enough to say that you wouldn't be alone in this. 

Regarding character death, administration does not enforce it. Staff won't ever message you to say that you can't use a character because that character died. That said policy can change depending on the thread. If you join a quest and someone puts a disclaimer indicating that character death is an option, that's something for you to consider when joining that thread, but even if your character dies, they could be resurrected, or become a ghost and possess another character, or come back as a zombie, etc and so on. Administration won't tell you how to write your character or when you can stop using them. On Valure we prioritize a writer's creative freedom. 

Hopefully my response has not only answered all of your questions but has painted Valucre in a positive light and we end up seeing you around. Let me know if you have any more. 

Pandorite likes this

1 hour ago, Guest Curious said:

*Sneaks in for some advertising*

If you're looking for a board in Terrenus that is more fantasy based, come on down to the Taen Empire. It's a brand new board with the technology of somewhere around the medieval!

https://www.valucre.com/forum/83-taen-empire/

supernal likes this

Sorry my board is apparently lacking in lore. Terrenus has always been the most active board so if you're looking for a board based on activity level you might want to stick around there.

Wow, thank you everyone for all the replies! And thanks for the suggestions, I had not looked into Nvengaria or the Taen Empire yet, so I'll have to do that. I'm very encouraged by this site's openness to new members and new ideas!

Also, I by no means meant to insult Genesaris with that one comment, I still have plenty of lore left to read after all, and I am still interested in Genesaris as well. I didn't mean to paint myself as a worldbuilding/roleplaying expert either (haha I'm far from it) just someone very interested in that part of the site with a lot of questions!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor