MeGoRawrr

The Fallen Angels: The Merging Of A Covenant

After relaying his vision to the elf, something shifts around Devin.  He can't be sure what it is that has changed, or in what manner, but something is definitely different.

A peculiar sensation rises up through his body, slipping around his innards until it bubbles up into plain sight.  The sensation brings with it an immediate and intense giddiness, causing Devin to barely notice the elf's blessing.  So fully enveloped in this sensation did Devin become, that he could hardly contain a fit of joyous laughter from billowing from his lungs.

After several long seconds, Devin composes himself enough for comprehensible speech.  "Do you know where my walking staff went," plying his question tentatively to the elf.  "It was given to me as a gift recently, and it would be a shame to lose it so soon, not to mention the fact that it is very useful."

At this moment, at the present hour, at the flickering of the candle, at the blinking of the eye, at the drawing of the breath that is the all eternal now; we not knowing truly have made a choice to walk upon certain paths.  Hold us now that cosmic tide we describe in all vulgarity as destiny.  For we have all been selected by a force outside ourselves that knows ourselves, more intimately than any other.  This form, this form that we express in awful terms sometimes as masculine, sometimes feminine; when it is not bound by such trivialities as fleshly concerns; this infinite thinking thing   that is the cosmic “I” does not need voice to call to us, for this first thing  holds us in the palm of our hand, and no mere spitting shall ever cause that great “I” to let us go.  He has drawn together at the ideal moment, the perfect number, combining the model skill sets, to approach the events at flawless momentary nexus.  For a task divinely ordained and inspired for the blessing of many, for the ruination of a few, as reward and condemnation both, conjoined in the building up and tearing down of things existing.  This right of purification of reality and of selves for the task set forth for the blessed participants, let the act begin (Letters from myself to myself, quotations of the blind, 1994. 21)

[box]In reply to all participants: both present and absent, both in group A or B, both alert and comatose; act II has begun! By the power invested in me, as the storyteller, by you, the participants, that your actions from this point forth will directly, as apposed to indirectly,  affect advantages and drawbacks distributed to you by this storyteller in accordance to the fulfillment of the narrative of this chapter.  Some of these shall be temporary, and shall be removed upon completion of this chapter, for good or ill.  Others however, will be of a more permanent nature, and it shall be requested that you add such advantages or drawbacks to your permanent character record, while I have no power to enforce this nor do I want any, both advantages and drawbacks reflect permanent character growth and might be useful plot hooks in their own right. For this reason, and others I shall keep to myself, no character shall be expelled, unless, they become openly disruptive to others enjoyment, or they make a request to be removed.  It should be noted however, that those that participate more will have a greater opportunity to accrue advantages, than those that do not participate.  While it is equally true that those that do not participate also are able to possibly dodge more disadvantages than those that participate, to this all that can be said “no guts, no glory.”  For glory then.[/box]

Edited by Appleyard

"Well, any friend to be is a friend gained, and no trouble has come to those with many friends," Lancaster said, while gingerly rubbing the life back into his close to frostbitten hand. Eyeing the new mage that had joined them once more, he saw that she actually looked rather beautiful, and his eyes softened. 

"Besides, having a rather competent ice elementalist would be good for the company we currently keep," he said, continuing to rub his hand. Turning his head to look at the gate, he started walking towards it, then looked up at the tower. He found that the tower was calling to him, attracting him towards it. Its weird animals that adorned its walls, topped by the tree above its majestic crown which indeed did make it look like a crown, it all seemed to call the adventurers toward it, like bees to flowers. Turning around, he wanted to see if the tower had the same effect on the other mages as it had on him. Would they be as attracted to the tower as he was? Would they be as enthralled, in fact. It was as though the tower was trying to attract guards to protect it. He had to. All intruders had to go.

Delistair nodded at the musician as Lancaster verbalised his acceptance of her into their little group. Immediately, he headed towards the gate at the rear, not forgetting the pleas by the chained woman in his vision to 'hurry'.

Halfway there, Lancaster stopped, staring at the pagoda. "What's wrong? Let's hurry. The gate's not far now." Delistair said to the tall man. Regardless of whether he followed, the abjurer quickened his steps and arrived at the gate in minutes. As expected, it was a rusty little back entrance, worn by weather and neglect. Delistair pushed against it to test its strength. It held, but not by much. Taking a step back, he delivered a sharp kick near the hinge of the gate. The corroded metal broke through, and the gate fell to the floor with a mighty clang. The sound was loud enough to wake the dead, and practically announced their presence to anyone within the tower. Delistair froze for a minute, half expecting an army to rush out of the building at him. When nothing happened, he stepped in through the gate- or no, it was just a hole now. Edited by jaistlyn

The caste

M1K4,  | K. the silent sadness | support, music and ice

jaistlyn | Delistair | objeration

Kingofgames12 | Gregor Prophet | necromancy, 

double0pi | Devin Wahrsager | Diviner 

MeGoRawrr | Sirey LanCrest | Illusion |

Judar | YOHANE | Elementalist? 

sorainvoked  | Lancaster Axel Pargent  | Conjurer  

Necromancer | Jackson Aliway | Destruction

Ketsueki | Maria Oni | Healer?

Dr. Crazyeyes | Liteki  | Enchanter

[hr]

[box]Group A | Near, or atop the wall

1. MeGoRawrr | Sirey LanCrest | Illusion |

2. Necromancer | Jackson Aliway | Destruction

3. double0pi | Devin Wahrsager | Diviner 

4. Kingofgames12 | Gregor Prophet | necromancy, 

5. Ketsueki | Maria Oni | Healer?

6. Dr. Crazyeyes | Liteki  | Enchanter[/box]

[box]Group A notes: Maria Oni and Liteki   face off in mage duel; Sirey LanCrest & Jackson Aliway  stopped at the potion seller; Devin & Gregor Prophet just entered the city, are approaching Sirey & Jackson, along with the halfling woman, completion of the seller scene will begin countdown to groups A’s quest[/box]  

[hr]

[box]Group B Scattered about in the city

1. jaistlyn | Delistair | objeration

2. Judar | YOHANE | Elementalist? 

3. sorainvoked  | Lancaster Axel Pargent  | Conjurer

4. M1K4,  | K. the silent sadness | support, music and ice[/box]

[box]Group B: Delistair, Lancaster, and K. the silent sadness are to enter the rearmost part of the tower and the well, their trial begins; & Yohane, is still out like a snuffed candle[/box]

[box]In reply to #64 icon_share.png[/box]

If he had any idea exactly what was wrong, or what sensations Lancaster was sensing at that moment,   Delistair wouldn’t have asked his question, but he didn’t, and so he did.  If he had any idea what was about to spring upon him, he might not have wanted to enter that tower, but he didn’t.  Oh mortal man whose step is now so bold, you comes tonight to find a sight that will test your mortal soul. It will test it, again, and again, and again.  Something’s have to be broken before they can be improved upon, perhaps it was so for our trio.

Well for all the dead that the sudden noise should have awakened, for all the numbers that should be spilling out of the tower to confront the trio, nothing save the leaves and the wind stirred. Of course the sense of eyes in the shadows watching them was a very palpable thing, it would strike each one in turn as they crossed the threshold of the gateway, and intensify as they crossed the open thicket of what might have once been some sort of herb garden, and moved towards slightly raised brickway that set at the base of the tower, but it was probably not the first sight that any of them beheld.  What was that first sight no doubt varied from person to person, but one thing would be certain the sudden realization of the size of the tree would hit them as certainly as a falling body eventually hits ground.  Perhaps the route structure of the tree would give them pause first – the routes themselves were easily three to three and a half feet in diameter, easily more than that in some places, as they were like most tree routes irregular in shape – and ran from the base of the tree, down the seven stories of the pagoda to disappear into dark soiled turf. The tree had to bee ten stories itself, at the very least, but possibly more, considering its height, considered in relation to the structure it sat atop. No, which it dominated, literally loomed over the many-tiered tower to caste its magnificent shadow upon structures for a sizeable portion of the city beyond it. True it was not the giant of that huge edifice commented upon by so many as “The Tower,” but in a way it was no less majestic.  You could have parked three Conestoga wagons end to end at the closest points of the route structure, and that was nothing to say regarding those that were set further apart. The tree itself was easily large enough around to fit several storehouses in, along with a couple of granaries, and a few stables too, and that was just thinking end-to-end.  If one thought how much could be stored inside that one tree, if you thought top to bottom, then the amount was truly staggering. What kind of a tree was this thing? What kind of magic made it grow so? Druidic? Had any heard of such a feat, not likely.

the whole of the open space measured roughly forty six feet, or so, exact measurements would not be possible, and  who wanted to stop to measure it anyway.  The space was broken up by little raised earthen mounds that bore garlic, gasmen, onion, peppermint, and sage, along with easily a dozen other herbs that were popular in a goodwife’s spice pantry, and as strange as it seemed, all the beds were neatly groomed.  Strange, given the fact that ivory grew on both sides of the brick wall near the gate, whose aged and badly maintained form lay on the ground.  Thick ivory clung to the wall on the inside in places, and the old looking brick before them even had dandelions pocking up in places.  Of doors or windows on the tower before them, there were no sign, and it wouldn’t be until they stepped up onto the brick landing itself, they would notice the winding circular stairway that lead down a good six feet into the ground to stop by a well, and another door, whose metal was as black as a starless night, and was polished smooth.  The knocker was that of a hand, set beneath a head, but of handle there was no sign. No sign of lock either, which of course meant only one thing, magic.  how to enter that would only become obvious when they reached bottom and the head, a non-descript man, whose face spoke of aged solemnity spoke.  Its voice seemed loud in the space, and it spoke in imperious tones to the first of the trio to reach the bottom of the stairs, which meant the well would stand between that individual and the door, as if that offered some protection.

“who comes here, who comes here, who comes here?”      

Edited by Appleyard

[center]The caste[/center]

[hr]

[box]Group A notes: Maria Oni and Liteki   face off in mage duel; Sirey LanCrest & Jackson Aliway  stopped at the potion seller; Devin & Gregor Prophet just entered the city, are approaching Sirey & Jackson, along with the halfling woman, completion of the seller scene will begin countdown to groups A’s quest[/box]  

[hr]

[box]Group B: Delistair, Lancaster, and K. the silent sadness are about to enter the rearmost part of the tower and the well, their trial begins; & Yohane, is still out like a snuffed candle[/box]

[box]In reply to Liteki  #45 icon_share.png [/box]

A chuckle escaped the trio of guards then, although it was hard to tell that was what it was from the helmeted two.  “It would be real funny if the pair of them actually had to work together wouldn’t it sir?” one of the helmeted pair stated, obviously speaking to the one that wore no helm, for some reason that was unclear, and was clearly higher in rank than the other two. “Aye that it would lad, that it would. The pair of them banter on like an old married couple.  They remind me of me neighbors, always bantering about something.”  This caused another burst of laughter from the trio, although, if one wasn’t aware of the particulars, which most observers would not be, then the humor would completely escape them.  “I hear the enchanter milnerd is looking for magi… who knows, he could accidently hire both of them and then they’d be working together. I hear the pay is real good, if you have the stones for it.”  With that he shrugged, and went pack to tapping his lightening cudgel against the palm of his other hand.

[OOC]

[spoiler]Other responses to follow today.[/spoiler]

[hr]

[hr]

[box]Group B: Delistair, Lancaster, and K. the silent sadness are to enter the rearmost part of the tower and the well, their trial begins; & Yohane, is still out like a snuffed candle[/box]

[box]In reply to Devin #61 icon_share.png[/box]

“My brother is holding it even as we speak honored seer.” Was the she elf’s airy toned retort. “If it please you, I whish to provide you with payment for your wisdom, so earnestly dispenced.  I Pray you do not deny this, for it is a small thing I might give you in return for your council.” So saying she took the staff from her brother. “Would you take my arm good seer?”     

[hr]

[hr]

[box]In reply to Gregor #60 icon_share.png[/box]

“The magical academy ,” he stated as he handed over the staff to his sister, shaking his head all the while, as if to say ‘truly I don’t believe you some times sister.’ “Actually the best person to give you directions is his mother, who is right over there.”  So saying he gestured over to the halfling potion seller.  She should be closing up soon, and you can easily follower her home.  There are quite a few that live together in one large house, so I’ve heard.”  He shrugged again.  “I understand it is temporary and by the time you’ve finished with his tasks I should have cleared everything with my superiors.”

[spoiler]

Sorry for short posts, but my right arm is still in a brace, not a full caste, and so typing is difficult. I’ll be posting again in a couple of days.[/spoiler]

Gregor was surprised that milnerd's mother was that close all along. 'Huh, well and that case I guess I should get going then.' 'I shall follow her and ask her the whereabouts of her son.' Gregor looked directly at the man. 'Thank you for showing me towards milnerd's job and putting in a good word for me with the peace keepers.' 'Let me know if I've good the job or not.' 'Thanks again for everything!'

He then turned towards Devin. 'Well, though are time has been short, it was surprisingly not bad.' 'And who knows, maybe we'll meet again.' 'But until then, goodbye, Devin.' He then turned towards the potion lady and watched her pack up her stand at start walking home. With another look at the brother and sister duo and the strange blind man, he turned and began to follow her.

The lovesick young man was making his farewells to the odd sort of group that had gathered in the middle of the street.  Devin was unconcerned with his departure.  "The Fates aren't done with us yet, my friend, we shall meet again."  A second too late, Devin realizes that he had spoken out loud words that would most likely be construed as creepy.

C'est la vie.

The sister of the remaining duo was offering Devin payment of some sort, and while he didn't need any recompense other than the feeling of being able to alter a person's destiny even slightly, the earnestness in her voice made him feel as if refusing would be callous.

So Devin reaches out, hoping that she takes his arm, willing to follow anywhere she leads.

[spoiler]

OOC: Sorry for the late post, honestly, I had kind of forgotten about this thread until Appleyard posted in the OOC.  I should probably keep better track of these things *hangs head in shame.*

[/spoiler]

The caste

[hr]

[hr]

3. sorainvoked  | Lancaster Axel Pargent  | Conjurer[/box]

[box]Group B: Delistair  approaching quest sight on foot, Lancaster  approaching quest sight on horseback, & Yohane doing something spell like[/box]  

[box]In reply to Sirey LanCrest #38 icon_share.png & Jackson Aliway #39 icon_share.png[/box]

“Oh he’s still his curious mischievous self.  Got a new homunculus tha’s a wonder with his brother’s and sisters, and he’s still working on trying to discover a new way to infuse water essence into Silversteel, but my oldest is much the same. He’ll be overjoyed to see you again, and you know you’re always welcome.” While many folks were well aware of the relationship between Beth and Milnerd Sarcayre Aydene Nichopoko, not so many were aware of the exact nature of that relationship.  The apparent thirty something adult single male Halfling was in fact Beth’s eldest son. Her husband Marcus Ayder Aydene Nichopoko had met his untimely end at the hands of bandits on his way back from Tia.  Thus, Milnerd took over as second patriarch of the Nichopoko clan, and first male of the Aydene family. He had four brothers and five sisters to think about after all.  So, Milnerd   also filled the roll of chief potion maker, while he slowly increased his artificing and alchemical skills. He and Jackson went back a ways. 

“Lylla and Synthia will want to see you too, and make sure you eat for two.  We can put your friend, Sirey wasn’t it? Yes, we can put Sirey up in one of the guest rooms, heaven knows we have plenty of the empty now that the Edenborrows aren’t staying with us.

[OOC the original was posted yesterday, but I don’t hear it, which either means Y5 blinked on me, or I somehow managed to hit the wrong key command; but this should at least give you something to work with.]”         

Jackson Smiled. He turned to walk down to the house, but then remembered that Beth's shop hadn't closed up for the day. He turned back.

"Oh yes. I nearly forgot. Would you me to help you close up for the day? I always remembered the shop being... whats the word... busy." he asked Beth.

"Or, I could just Show her to the house. I do want to see Milnerd again. What would you like me to do Beth?" 

[box]In reply to #65[/box]

Delistair would be the first to admit that he was creeped out by this place. First was the tree on top of the tower that had seemed to expand when they had stepped into the compound - it had not seemed as large from the outside - and now there was this weird-looking disembodied head that was talking to them. It actually looked alive, and Delistair couldn't decide if it would be any better if it was dead-looking.

"Who comes here, who comes here, who comes here?" The head spoke seriously, its piercing eyes swivelling straight to Delistair's. A chill went down his spine. The abjurer held a hand up, defensive magic on his fingertips, before answering cautiously, "Delistair Paige, freelance mage, with two other companions. I've been called to this tower, and I request entry." He supposed that it would NOT be wise to mention who had called him here, given that whoever chained the lady in here probably didn't want anyone to walk in and attempt to get her out. Edited by jaistlyn

[hr]

[hr]

[box]In reply to Liteki [/bos]

The duel that wasn’t a really a duel, more of a stand off was continuing, and one would expect that the guards would soon grow borad with the affair, when something happened that would have a significant impact on certain future events.  A pair of women soon could be seen ambling up the road, from whence they had come from was anyone’s guess. One was aa barbaric beauty, with skin the color of bark, wich a pair of scarlet tattos on her cheeks and her firey red hair up in a simple top knot. Over her armored sholder was a fire lance, not active, and she sported enough weapons on her person to outfit a squad of soldiers. Still as eye catching as this woman was, Liteki’s eyes, or rather what past for eyes, would be drawn to the woman beside her.  The pull was as sure as a metal filing to a magnet, and for a being such as Liteki, the knowledge of what this being was, manafested itself as surely as though she had a ten foot banner proclaiming it.  To any normal observer, she would be seen to hover not walk and at a few points she seemed to shimmer just partially, as though part of her almost left this plain of existence.  The consequence was that you could see her form and the terrain behind her at the same time.  The paleness of her skin only seemed to further highlight the washed out grayness of her meager dress, the dull black locks of her hair, the glossiness of her ice like eyes, and the absence of any other adornment. Still what mattered more was what she was, and what she was, to Liteki   was clear,

She was a ghost.

What was more, she was a ghost that could be useful for him, because she seemed to be a regular of the city, as the guards took one look at her, saluted and returned to watching Liteki   and the other magi.

[ooc]

[spoiler]Hint, Liteki I’ve just thrown you a particularly juicy bit of meat.[/spoiler]        

"Oh, so the door talks. That's interesting.. The amount of magical technology would have been astounding, not to mention the moral issues to be faced. Is this world ready for a thinking doorknob yet..? I am left to wonder.." muttered Lancaster, looking around the doorknob and trying his hardest to analyse it. 

"There's some residual magic left on the doorknob, I can feel it. Perhaps I should examine it, but I left my equipment back at the inn! Darn. I hope that bumbling fool hasn't destroyed the inn yet. Hardy as my equipment may be, digging it out of rubble can be rather annoying work.." he said to no one in particular. 

"Oi fool, I asked who you were. I ain't here to hear you prattle on and on about 'ooooh magic', I need your names before I may admit you, so stop wasting my time and yours and tell me who you are already," huffed the doorknob. This caused Lancaster to step back in further surprise, and look more curious by the minute. 

"My apologies, good sir, or madame, or doorknob, where are my manners," Lancaster replied, and made a small bow. "My name is Lancaster Axel Pargent, conjurer. These here are my companions, the good sir and lady, erm." Lancaster faltered. He had been chasing after a man, who was going to share a room with him, and he did not even know his name. Turning over to the two men beside him, he scratched the back of his head, made a sheepish face, and asked, "who are the two of you again?"

"Who are the two of you again?"

Delistair raised his eyebrows. Did he not just introduce himself? Somehow both the doorhead thing and the tall man both missed it, like he had been invisible. He sighed. It was not the first time this happened. He asserted so little presence at times that he probably should go be a spy or something. He would never be noticed.

"I'm Delistair Phia Paige," he repeated, "we need to get, you know, in there. Would you kindly please open the door for us without any trouble?"

"Oh! Visitors!" The doorknob exclaimed. "I haven't seen the likes of you in a while. Well, I suppose some activity would do this old place good. No one has come through here for the last century! Perhaps you could help to clean it up while you're here?" The doorhead guy sniggered and the door swung open, revealing a large open hexagonal space with doors on each of its six sides, and a set winding stairs that allowed passage to upper levels. The place smelled of dust and must and age, with everything covered with greyness. Delistair stepped in cautiously, his boots making muffled thuds on the floor that was caked with dust.