Voting has reset for the month of March. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

Acies ab Vesania

open
Tavern of Legend: Season 2

5,032 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Jeff Grundy said:

Walking up to the tavern I catch eyes with many patrons. Making it to the door my memorys clash. Searing migraines shoot around my skull. I clasp my head in pain, and my eyes begin to bleed running down my face double speed with a mix of tears diluting the blood. I wipe my eyes, vomit in a local bin and go inside. I sit in the darkest corner and try to forget it all. The hunger, the murders, the blood... So much blood. I clutch my coin hoping I can get food someone hasn't already started an tossed out. I grin at the thought of it. I soon stop when a evil voice echoes in my mind. "You're God's only mistake." An echo from only a whisper. Taking advantage of the situation I close my eyes and listen to the true happiness around me. Making the most of the warmth I wait for the Waiter. Hell if he never comes that works to as long as I get a little taste of what my life used to be. 

Auspiciously, what had gained the tavern's attention that evening appeared to be a strange, perhaps even vile creature shuffling back and forth in the presence of an angry woman and a man in a rather awkward position. A wholesome, feminine yet disembodied voice echoed across the tavern, apparently sourced from this alien. It had seemed to be lecturing the two about some kind of bastion and a worm's hole. Puzzling as it is, the ambiguity of the scenario presented itself in the form of hushed giggles across the bar.

@Jeff Grundy

Edited by Porcelain_Puppetress
Jeff Grundy likes this

Posted (edited)

"Oh, you mean the tavern?" she'd interject, glancing around the lounge. 

"I mean, this bar actually kind of serves as a point between Valucre and the various other planes of existence. More like a magical corner than a hole really. I don't know. I sort of skimmed over that part of the guide, heh." Esmeralda, suddenly intrigued by the creature's quest, would summon a small wad of folded paper from the inside pocket of her jacket. Unraveling it gingerly, the woman would smooth the pamphlet against Locke's back, before presenting it to the lifeform curiously. 

"It's an old publication, but not much should've changed over the past decade or so." The women would then proceed to outline the various properties of the building, including its mind-boggling floor plan and strangely elaborate interior. Every so often, she'd gauge the creature's reaction, quietly unnerved by its unyielding expression. 

"Oh, and that cursed commodity! Could it be some sort of beverage? I know the bar's got some pretty nasty liquors for sure." 

Edited by Silhouette

Hearing the voice I decide that shit would probably going to kill me. So i just slouch down in my seat hoping some other dudes fix that and I'm going to join them if stuff goes down. I kind take another glance around the room. I wonder if they're regulars around here and I'm just over thinking it, or they're going to fuck some shit up. I puzzle my chin eye level with the table. I whisper to myself "yeah someone else has got this"

@Porcelain_Puppetress

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Silhouette said:

"Oh, you mean the tavern?" she'd interject, glancing around the lounge. 

"I mean, this bar actually kind of serves as a point between Valucre and the various other planes of existence. More like a magical corner than a hole really. I don't know. I sort of skimmed over that part of the guide, heh." Esmeralda, suddenly intrigued by the creature's quest, would summon a small wad of folded paper from the inside pocket of her jacket. Unraveling it gingerly, the woman would smooth the pamphlet against Locke's back, before presenting it to the lifeform curiously. 

"It's an old publication, but not much should've changed over the past decade or so." The women would then proceed to outline the various properties of the building, including its mind-boggling floor plan and strangely elaborate interior. Every so often, she'd gauge the creature's reaction, quietly unnerved by its unyielding expression. 

"Oh, and that cursed commodity! Could it be some sort of beverage? I know the bar's got some pretty nasty liquors for sure." 

Profoundly interrupted by this, she abruptly froze the moment Esmeralda uttered those first few words. Noiselessly listening to her explanation, somewhat astonished. Though she did not seem interested in the pamphlet Esmeralda presented. After heeding her words, the beasts elegant, orotund voice returned in a hazed state.

"...Certainly not... It should be considerably more potent than a simple inebriant..."  She paused and seemed to think for a brief moment. "You are... positive this bastion I seek... Is this mediocre congregation of mortal drunks?"

The scarcely feminine creature reflected on this likelihood, pondering whether it would adjust her expedition even if it was not the case. If there is truly a 'magical corner' that would transport her to Valucre regardless then a detour may not be needed. During her contemplation the circular mouth embedded into her central abdomen persists its odd clattering.

@Silhouette

@MandoMG

1 hour ago, Jeff Grundy said:

Hearing the voice I decide that shit would probably going to kill me. So i just slouch down in my seat hoping some other dudes fix that and I'm going to join them if stuff goes down. I kind take another glance around the room. I wonder if they're regulars around here and I'm just over thinking it, or they're going to fuck some shit up. I puzzle my chin eye level with the table. I whisper to myself "yeah someone else has got this"

Not long after this acknowledgement the woman, quickly shifting from discontent to intrigued, seemed to had pacified the monster. Similarly to how previously predicted.

I raise my fist and shyly yell "Yeah you can do this! Though we all might be miss reading the situation. Maybe she'ss a chill lady in the end right. Let's buy her a drink and have a good laugh about this tomorrow." I cover my mouth and yell in a different yet obvious fake voice. "I SAY WE LET HER GO!" I stand up "Yeah let's do that, I vote no unlawful detainment of creepy hot chicks." I lift a empty cup "come on let's all get hammered!" I look around the room hoping someone will join my, free the creepy girl proposal.

7 hours ago, Jeff Grundy said:

I raise my fist and shyly yell "Yeah you can do this! Though we all might be miss reading the situation. Maybe she'ss a chill lady in the end right. Let's buy her a drink and have a good laugh about this tomorrow." I cover my mouth and yell in a different yet obvious fake voice. "I SAY WE LET HER GO!" I stand up "Yeah let's do that, I vote no unlawful detainment of creepy hot chicks." I lift a empty cup "come on let's all get hammered!" I look around the room hoping someone will join my, free the creepy girl proposal.

The 'creepy hot chick's' exoskeletal neck twisted clockwise so that her unusually featureless bone looking face could observe the shy young man eyelessly. Though her intangible, otherworldly voice was beautiful and perhaps attractive, she certainly did not appear human in the slightest. To some her appearance would border on foul or frightening. The more he would squint his eyes at her figure the more he would spot horrendous oddities in the dim lighting of the tavern. She did not have legs, only millions of tiny, transparent tubes that would step hastily to move the creature steadily. She did not have arms, only four limbs routed at the front of her abdomen, resembling blades that you would expect from some form of crustacean. She did not have a mouth. Only a large, disgusting, dribbling, wet mass of exposed tooth and muscle at the center of her body rather than her skull. Though hideous as it was, the aforementioned mouth was facing away from him, making it difficult for him to make out what the repulsive structure was.

After listening to his strange rant, she turned her head back to the two in front of her. Though she did not speak in response. She let this man prove her point, wrongly assuming he was off his ass. Likely with many assuming the same. With that, soon half the tavern was in a drunken rampage, cheering for seemingly no reason at all. Some were chanting "let her go" repeatedly, while most were vocalizing something entirely different with no purpose whatsoever. One man, his noise dampened in the loud mess seemed to angrily shout something along the lines of "HEY, YOU FAKED THAT VOICE, KID!!" but that man was unheard by most. Quite frankly no one would had cared if they heard him anyway.

@Jeff Grundy

@Silhouette

@MandoMG

What a mess.

Where had he happened upon? He had no idea. Jahan had been traveling for a while now, his memory slipping from the grasp of his consciousness every now and then, and his grip of reality becoming so liquified-- oh, so much so, it could even drip from his face at times, it could.

But this place, it was, simply put; decrepit. He had slinked through the doors, not wanting attention-- at least, not much of it, and put his worn down velvet black coat and valise on the empty seating next to him, watching.

Humans, half-humans, and an alien-looking creature-s?  He couldn't make them all out, but none of them were surprising to see.

He ordered a drink, and started tapping on the table with his nails as he waited. This was a starting point which hid other starting points behind it. A place to settle down, then he would help it grow, feed, and then, he would gobble it up. It had been such a long tme since Jahan had last offered his most humble suggestions to someone, spoke with someone, coaxed anyone into doing something.. The want of persuasion, it was simply a craving now, he had to have his way. It was time for him to have his title back.

But he would be patient. For the moment, he only needed a drink and someone that would be willing to.. Listen.

The place stinks of hard, inexpensive liquor. The sky does not stir. There will be many willing.

I wave at the man trying to get his attention and entice him to come over. My smile genuine and bright shines through the darkest corner I sit in. All of my normal pale skinned features are hard to miss even though shaded area. I look like a homeless dude by my clothing by my body seemed dirt less. I would call him over by yelling but there were people about and didn't want to seem any more shameless than I already seemed. I mouth the words to him "come over I'm bored."  I hope I don't appear to be a threat. A twenty two year old with black eyes didn't seem to far out of the ordinary me.

I pull some hard candy out of my pocket and casually eat on the wrapper on the candy looked like it was thrown by a parade float 50 years ago...and to be honest it might have been I got them from my grams a long time ago. I throw a piece at him at it moves comedically slow at him like a balled up 1 ply napkin. (Inside the wrapper for the candy it reads "Hey, how's it going?")

@Consigliere

Edited by Jeff Grundy

Jathan caught the piece of paper that was thrown at him in a miserable fashion between his index and middle fingers before reading the chicken-scratch writing on it. 

"Hey, how's it going?" His green eyes widened as he chuckled at the man's attempt of mingling. It was unexpectedly.. heartfelt? He must had been dying for company. 

He turned to look at the man who had called for him. A pale silhouette was all he could make out in the darkness. 

I'll oblige, then. Normally, it would be the opposite party who would walk to him, but now was not the time for expectations. He would take what he could get. 

Jahan took his belongings and walked to the seat the man occupied, hoping his bronze skin, shoulder-length, straight copper hair and slanted eyes would be enough to leave a good impression. 

He crossed his legs after he sat down comfortably, and started observing his company. 

Edited by Consigliere

Happy to have a companion start with an introduction " hi my name's Jeff Grundy son of Solomon Grundy. God rest his soul... anyways I'm the local homeless guy, but don't worry I got big plans." I casually point finger barely over the table @Porcelain_Puppetress. "That lady over there seems like she could use some of our unspoken contrariety in her life.  So if we befriended her maybe on an adventure she could stop my enviable doom in battle. That and people like that are usually just like my candy hard on the outside soft on the in side" I smile in look up at my tall new sitting buddy. "Wanna come with me to offer her some candy. I think she'll love the gesture." "Oh sorry your name is?" I put out my hand though my coat was tattered and dirty my hands where clean and almost white. I smell rather clean for my occupation like kicked up dust and a hint of lavender. @Consigliere

Edited by Jeff Grundy

"You can call me Kublai." Jahan said, calmly. He wouldn't reveal his true name for now. He did, however, reach for Jeff's hand and shake it firmly. 

"And that.."  He raised his eyebrows as he eyed the contraption-like being Jeff pointed at. "Does not look like a lady to me, nor do I think it-- they would enjoy candy." 

Kublai, or Jahan, tilted his head slightly. "But, if you do not think it would bring any harm.." Because I certainly do, but if it does, it'll be on you. "..Then why not?"

"Now how is a lady supposed to build any self confidence with out any positive reinforcement. I'm sure she's a doll once you get to know her." Standing up I dust myself off chainmail rattling under my dirty sweatshirt. Dust fills the air like a drag off a cigarette and quickly dissipates. I comb my shiny white hair with an old comb missing  seven or eight teeth on it. I look down at my sitting friend "how about a hand shake or is that to forward?" Looking through my candy I ask "You think she's a hard candy gal or saltwater taffy lady?" It sounded childish but he was obviously struggling with this possible pointless act of friendship amongst strangers. I somewhat pop my collar sarcasticly and hold open my arms "What do you think Kublai, am I presentable?"

@Consigliere

Edited by Jeff Grundy

"Presentable." Jahan repeated after Jeff. Presentable. 

"If you had known me a long time ago, I could've shown you what presentable meant. I used to work with the finest of the finest silk, the best of engraved éolinne, the crisp linen and satin; beautified with strings of thinnest lace, the rarest type of tafetta, cashmere, chintz, messaline, Egyptian cotton... I used to outfit the royal Birds, served only the highest class of Bussinespeople. I was their Collector."

Jahan shook his head, tucking his hair behind his ears before continuing with a less sentimental tone. 

"But, unnecessary talk aside, you look presentable. Not to my standards, definitely, but seeing as we're in this kind of place, and even am reduced to this type of outfit, you will do fine. 

By the way, shaking her hand is not a bad idea. Do that first and try giving her the saltwater taffy after that, say that you are trying to sweeten the air around here. That kind of rather.. Basic wordplay like that would present you as.. Friendly, but also a little immature, so if you're going for that kind of approach.. That course of action would be ideal. But if you're going for another type of approach, ditch the candy, and the pun. It would suggest you're far too childish."

"got ya less candy more Egyptian cotton and hand a shake." " We're just a couple of fun loving guys looking for friends." I reassure myself. I begin to scoot around the table bumping my leg hard on the table rattling the objects on it. A smile on my face and a pip in my step I approach the lady. I hold a candy in one hand as sort of a back up introduction. I sigh and take a breath of confidence hoping my new buddy is following behind me. "Miss" I call to try and get her attention as I walk up to her hand stretch for a nice greeting with a smile. Also taffy you know just I case.

@Consigliere

@Porcelain_Puppetress

Jathan looked over from Jeff's shoulder to his new object of attention. 

His brows knitted together worriedly as he saw who the young man was approaching. Did that.. Being even have hands? Or eyes?  

Jeff might have had bitten more than he could chew with this target. And Jathan wasn't sure if he wanted to be involved in the ordeal. 

He thought of following behind his 'friend', but decided to sit down and watch how the whole thing would unravel. This way, if things got too messy, he could choose to help Jeff or save himself if it all spun out of control. 

But for now, he had to see as to how the creature would respond.