Voting has reset for the month of March. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

Acies ab Vesania

open
Tavern of Legend: Season 2

5,405 posts in this topic

I pull up a seat next to her cautiously and slide some candy near her." Here's some candy, I'm not sure if you heard but me and my buddy over there are some fun loving dudes with a real bond of friendship in the making..." I chough a little while covering my mouth then continue. "I'm Jeff by the way and was wondering if you'd like to join our journey to create a unbreakable benevolence...as well as making money and life long connections with people. leading to bigger and better jobs." I turn around giving Kublai a thumb's up and a smile to conveyed success. Then wait for her answer.

@Consigliere

@Porcelain_Puppetress

Edited by Jeff Grundy

4 hours ago, Jeff Grundy said:

I sigh and take a breath of confidence hoping my new buddy is following behind me. "Miss" I call to try and get her attention as I walk up to her hand stretch for a nice greeting with a smile. Also taffy you know just I case.

Her attention was easily diverted. The minuscule tube shaped tissues underneath her all produced hurried steps in a clock-wise rotation, turning the creature to face the stranger who had approached her with his hand out rather foolishly. This allowed the man to see her mouth for the first time. A sizeable, circular gap in her carapace which replaced her natural armor with muscular, moist, veiny flesh. This opening, which was closed at the time, seemed to visibly pulsate, dripping entire globs of saliva as it did. As these movements occurred, a sudden, high pitched beating noise was repeatedly produced. Her neck stretched downward, allowing her skull like face to look down on the man. Or as it was, down at his closest body part to her, the hand. Of which she did not appear to have one. Her four sword like limbs sat comfortably opposite each other, guarding her flesh covered mouth if subtly.

"What is this gesticulation you have utilized in conjunction with your greetings? Are you equipped with a form of weaponry?" Her contradictory, graceful voice echoed out to him and those nearby. Which presented the man with some troubling questions. Such as but absolutely not limited to: Why is she asking if I am holding a weapon if she is looking directly at my hand? What was that noise that her freakishly disgusting mouth had made and why is it that she looked at me only when that noise was being made? Does that being even have hands? Or eyes? Even if he could not piece it together, the sad truth remained.

He just tried to handshake a handless blind girl.

@Consigliere

@Jeff Grundy

Edited by Porcelain_Puppetress
Consigliere likes this

Hearing the sound I think it's echo location of a greeting in her native tongue flattered and blushing I say "Yeah I'm" finger quote "strapped per say." I take a bottle cap shirt pin that says #1 Best Buddy and slide it over near her candy. "If you can't read what it says you'd love it, but if you can then I hope you take it." You can hear the sincerity in my voice. "We could all use a friend now and days, you know?" I smile "wanna come sit with me and my new friend, imagine the glory we can gain with our grand deeds of heroism we all could accomplish. Helping people build a new dream in a broken world. Like this bar, I dim light in the darkness of life, ya know?"

@Porcelain_Puppetress

Edited by Jeff Grundy

12 minutes ago, Jeff Grundy said:

Hearing the sound I think it's echo location of a greeting in her native tongue flattered and blushing I say "Yeah I'm" finger quote "strapped per say." I take a bottle cap shirt pin that says #1 Best Buddy and slide it over near her candy. "If you can't read what it says you'd love it, but if you can then I hope you take it." You can hear the sincerity in my voice. "We could all use a friend now and days, you know?" I smile "wanna come sit with me and my new friend, imagine the glory we can gain with our grand deeds of heroism we all could accomplish. Helping people build a new dream in a broken world. Like this bar, I dim light in the darkness of life, ya know?"

She seems to disregard the compliments without second thought. "I am not interested in your misapprehensions of heroic valor. Regardless, I will accompany you in your travels. My endeavors reconcile under the uttermost intention of finding an accursed entity that resides within Valucre and destroying it permanently. You and your associate will assist me in this voyage. Yet in present time, we will rest. Our expedition will be inexorably debilitating."

"So you don't want the pin?" I say saddened. I quickly switch to elated and say "Yeah! You, me, Kublai we'll do it all with our fearless leader possibly warring a super cool pin made just of her that reads #1 Best Buddy. Will scour the globe and defeat the entity." I pause for effect "And the glory will flow over us like the sun on the morning dew." Overflowing with joy  I wave to Kublai. "But if you want to keep things on the down low just say so. By the way what's your name?"

@Consigliere

@Porcelain_Puppetress

Edited by Jeff Grundy
Consigliere likes this

The sudden arrival of someone from Mabh's past was unexpected - and judging from the way Mabh introduced him, not entirely welcome. While Kaldair was proud of Mabh for handling him so well, she had half a mind to go make certain this Hawthorn fellow would be leaving Mabh alone. Also, the knowledge that he had stolen children was infuriating. She didn't know much about the Fae, much less what they did with those they took, but if there was a chance she could convince – or force – him to return the children to their families...

Light pressure on her leg kept her from running off after the fairy. Kaldair looked down at the scaly claw, and up at the feathered head it led to. Grak'ni shook his head almost imperceptibly and glanced at Hawthorn's retreating figure, silently telling her not to go after him. Kaldair glared back, even though she knew he was probably right. Grak'ni somehow always knew when she was about to do something reckless, but he only stopped her when she had a really bad idea. Apparently he had decided provoking a fairy of unknown strength fit that category.

Self-control was far from Kaldair's strong point, but with Grak'ni's help she managed. She stayed put, and listened to the others talk while she tried to calm down, holding her tongue to keep from saying something she may regret. Speaking when angry was rarely a good idea, and she had already frightened Ainsworth enough for one night. By the time the conversation turned back to her, most of the anger had faded. The guilt of letting Hawthorn go still bothered her, but she pushed it back for now. No reason to bring the others down. Perhaps she could go after fairy boy later, when it wouldn't risk getting her friends involved and the overprotective pile of fur and feathers wasn't watching. For now, it was time for conversation and merrymaking.

“Oh, y'know. New friends, good drink, and a comfy bed,” Kaldair said with a wink before giving a true answer. “Well, and maybe some questing, information, and someone to spar with and learn from. We heard tales of the tavern in our travelling, and decided to come. Seems like almost every successful adventurer has been here before, so 'course we had to as well. Plus, with the types of folk I'd imagine frequent this place, there's a chance someone here might know a bit about Ni's kind, so that's the 'information' part of what we're looking for. What about you?” She asked, turning the question back on Brid. "You said you were looking for work - mechanic, right? - but I'm curious how that led you to the Tavern of Legend, of all places."

@NellieGrey @Ange V. Nettle @AngryCacti

AngryCacti likes this

Jathan quickly rose to his feet after he saw Jeff wave to him. He had been watching, listening, too. Fearing he would start feeling compelled to sit back down and bury his face into his palms in an almost drowning sense of disappointment, he quickly made his way over to where the two were sitting. 

If Jeff were a low-ranked Bussinessman, he would be able to end his life. If he were a high-ranked one, he would be able to take his millions. This kind of lack of deliberateness while speaking, especially when another was involved, what was he thinking? Could he not choose what he had to say just a bit more carefully? 

An internal sense of being broken came over him before he sat down next to Jeff. It's in the past now. People may not value what you do. Forget it. 

Coat done up to his throat, his belongings in hand, he spoke: "Pleased to make your acquaintance. I am Kublai." Jahan locked eyes with-- looked at the smooth surface of the alien-looking creature's .. Face?  

Edited by Consigliere

"Hey Kublai glad you came. This amazingly kind woman decided to take us under her wind of righteousness. Her pure heart will guide us through this desolate land. We're going to have a rest and begin our journey soon after." I turn to the nice lady next to me and say.         " Kublai here is a real wiz with clothes and presentability. Me and him saw your majesticness from over there" I point to our old now empty table. " I was appointed as diplomat of the two man team me had going for a while. As holder of the position it was my job to find a upstanding citizen like yourself to complete our group... well your group now." I turn to Kublai and say "You may not know it but this nice gal has some big plans for our little gang. If you're up for it we're going to take down some apparition that's been deemed worthy of or wrath." I return to the lady facing her "With you at the helm of our.." I chuckle "friend-ship, we can accomplish anything. Right?" I look at her face awaiting reassurance. If she doesn't give any I'll just reassure myself.

@Porcelain_Puppetress

@Consigliere

Melanie stared at the tavern doors for a few minutes before silently walking in. She didn't look at anyone or anything. Instantly walking underneath a rafter, she jumped up and landed softly on a rafter. With nothing better to do the silent girl summoned a pillow and rested her head against it, closing her eyes she pretended to be asleep.

jack-attack likes this

On 1/8/2017 at 8:42 AM, Bluebell said:

Rowan returned the wave with one of his own, accompanied shortly after by two hasty thumbs up and a breathless smile. Tam seemed okay so far! Maybe he was making some headway with the man, and at the very least he didn't seem to be in any physical peril...yet. 

The bouncer folded his hands across his chest and leaned back up, curling his upper lip into a stiff sneer. "I could help you, yes. But what's in it for me?" Despite his grim exterior, he was willing to help Tam simply about goodness sake. However, he wanted to hear how the young man would answer. 

@Ange V. Nettle

The changeling grinned at Rowan before turning back to the forboding figure.  At his words, Tam's ears flattened a little. Oh dear....  He patted his pockets nervously, looking for anything that might be acceptable payment for the bouncer.  He bit his lip a little, looking back up at him with wide hazel eyes, and gave him a an anxious, yet genuine smile.

"Well, sir, neither my friend nor I are terribly rich... At the most, all we can offer is our ... gratitude... in exchange for your help."

He winced at how weak that sounded, but hoped that perhaps the enormous man in front of him was nicer than he looked, tail curling tightly around his own leg.

@Bluebell

On 12/01/2017 at 11:59 AM, Jeff Grundy said:

"So you don't want the pin?" I say saddened. I quickly switch to elated and say "Yeah! You, me, Kublai we'll do it all with our fearless leader possibly warring a super cool pin made just of her that reads #1 Best Buddy. Will scour the globe and defeat the entity." I pause for effect "And the glory will flow over us like the sun on the morning dew." Overflowing with joy  I wave to Kublai. "But if you want to keep things on the down low just say so. By the way what's your name?"

20 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Coat done up to his throat, his belongings in hand, he spoke: "Pleased to make your acquaintance. I am Kublai." Jahan locked eyes with-- looked at the smooth surface of the alien-looking creature's .. Face?  

5 hours ago, Jeff Grundy said:

I look at her face awaiting reassurance. If she doesn't give any I'll just reassure myself.

Done with silently listening to this blabbering imbecile drone on and on, the creature decided to finally interject. Insectoid limbs shaking with agitation. "SILENCE!!!"  Her voice screamed, echoing brutally in the minds of the people around her. "I do not possess a 'name' and the notion of providing one for you to address me as, I find outright ludicrous! I authorize you to dub me anything you may importune, but I will have you recognize that your title for my being will in no way generate any foreseeable adjustment to what I am objectively and absolutely! Do I make myself clear?" Her frustrated voice shadowed the raw emotional rage she was displaying.

With that she directed her attention at this 'Kublai'. Her featureless face seeming to scout him out before proceeding. "Forthwith, if we are concluded here. Should we assign ourselves beverages of some definition?" She seemed to calm impressively fast, though still with a hint of annoyance.

@Jeff Grundy
@Consigliere

Edited by Porcelain_Puppetress
Jeff Grundy likes this

On 1/11/2017 at 9:49 PM, sapphyrelorelle said:

What about you?” She asked, turning the question back on Brid. "You said you were looking for work - mechanic, right? - but I'm curious how that led you to the Tavern of Legend, of all places."

Brid glanced at her and nodded, brown eyes bright.  She'd noticed how angry Kaldair had gotten during the confrontation between Mabh and Hawthorn, as well as how the halfling had kept her mouth shut even though it was clear she would have liked to speak her mind, and it secretly amused the woman.  Tapping her pipe against the tabletop to loosen the leaves, she thought for a moment.  She shrugged slightly, a thick braid falling over her shoulder, heavy and dark.

"I've been here once or twice before; the visits were long ago and far between."

Brid put the pipe back between her lips and spoke around it, the embers bright in the plain wooden bowl between her fingertips.

"I'm a mechanic most of the time, but I'll do other work, depending on what it is and whether the pay's enough."

The woman motioned at Kaldair and Grak'ni with her pipe as she exhaled, smoke curling around her face and billowing away.

"I hope you both find that information you're looking for. It's sure to be fascinating, and probably hard to find.  I hope it's worth whatever it takes to obtain."

She glanced down at her empty cup and sighed, the last remnant of smoke blowing through her previously-broken nose.

"Anyone want another pint? It's on me."

@AngryCacti

@NellieGrey

@sapphyrelorelle

sapphyrelorelle likes this

Iris, a slender young woman with no curves whatsoever on her body, walked into the Tavern of Legend and grinned. Oh, yes! Yes, yes, yes! This place was fantastic! The lights, the smells, the sight of people mingling in every way possible, the space in this unassuming little place. It was all too much and not enough at the same time, so Iris took a step forward and palmed her dress. She was trying to decide where to go when Darien interjected, with just a small thought in her brain.

"Iris, behave. Remember the plan. Secure a room, find a target and get out once it's done." Darien growled inside her head. Iris rolled her eyes as she made her graceful way around tables. Darien persisted. His voice was always so much lower than hers, and his angry tone never failed to make her jump. Suffice to say, Iris tended to flinch a lot. "Iris, are you listening to me??"

"Yes!" Iris said out loud. She did not notice whether or not she got looks from people she passed by. Iris smiled to a young man eating what she assumed was his dinner, and patted his shoulder as she passed. She felt Darien become uncomfortable as she sat at the bar and bit her lip.

The choices were astounding, even if the bar was short on food because of whatever had been happening. Iris grinned, and bought one night at the Tavern while she waited for someone to come to her. She sighed, and took a sip of her ice water as she observed the rest of the bar. Her dress, while beautiful and slightly bohemian in nature, was a little uncomfortable. Darien wanted out. Iris only had a few hours to snag someone and take them up to her room before she'd have to give in to him.

NellieGrey and Jeff Grundy like this

..Oh dear.. Jahan had to close his eyes for the ringing in his ears to stop. 

Well, at least it makes sense, communicating that way. For a mouthless being, that was. 

He settled in his seat; catching his breath after all that fuss, crossed his legs once again, and did not forget to throw a death glare at Jeff before turning his attention to the female-sounding being next to him. Not only were his statements poorly worded, they also lacked logic. They had met about 15 minutes ago, and Jahan was sure that didn't qualify as a 'two-man group'. 

He did not want to think about how Jeff had already asserted a 'leader' to their group that had yet to exist. God, he would take him to the Marrowers gladly, and let them sink their teeth into him for a favorable profit. If he could. 

..Although, this was not the place for such a thing. He cleared his throat before speaking. "Yes, gladly." Jahan turned around to order himself a glass of sparkling water. He did not want to drink anything alcoholic whilst in company. 

He took a little gulp of the refreshing drink before speaking: 

"Then, my lady," He took a shot in the dark with the assumption, "may I inquire about the 'apparition' that's been deemed worthy of your wrath.. And the supposed 'group' in the making?"

He glanced at Jeff, and quickly muttered "Yes." under his breath as an answer to his question. He had never made an attempt to master it, but Jahan had always known his way around magic. 

@Porcelain_Puppetress

@Jeff Grundy

Edited by Consigliere

I scoot out my seat and stand up "I'm going to go on a soul searching walk or something. Let you two get acquainted." All the cheer and faith all seemed to die in my voice as a self described mild bipolar affliction took effect. Leaving I go outside and sit just around the left corner of the bar if you're facing the door heading out. I unravel my candy one of the three I have left. Soon they'll be gone and the memories will return... I think. All I know is that the candy stopped it last time. My test of character begins with my goal of forming a group that would understand a fall from power and a lack of understanding. Maybe it's all for nothing. Could God forgive the unforgivable act of murder. I hear  "You're God's only mistake." bouncing around my mind. In a hushed voice I say "I know..., I know all to well." I tuck my legs in my chest fold my arms on top placing my face in them. Blood soaked tears go down my face adding additional blood stains to my coat.