Acies ab Vesania

Tavern of Legend: Season 2

"OHMYGOD STOP!" 

"Noogie, noogie!"

"YOU'RE EMBARASSING ME--"

The two youthful children were rough-housing eachother, tight headlocks and sharp pinches. They were both off of their stools and definitely playing around, collecting curious and stern looks from around the tavern.

"Quit it!"

"This is what you get for tryna steal again, you little rat!"

"Ouch! OW! You're going to break my spine!"

"Bark like a dog! Woof! Woof!"

"OOF!"

55 minutes ago, CrimsonAurora said:

@Victorious

From behind the dwarf-like woman, a man bearing a heavily engraved shield stepped out of the shadows cast by the dimly lit corridor ceiling. His grey leather tunic hugged his body tightly, boasting a muscled form. The man approached her from behind, eventually standing side by side with her and observing the trio that sat at the bar.

"Excuse me," Edric cleared his throat abruptly, his deep and husky voice bearing the strain which he had put on his vocal chords in his many battles, where he had to lead frightened men against far superior enemies.

"Are you perving?" he raised his eyebrow at the dwarf-like woman, in a subtle attempt to tease her into a humorous introduction.

She wasn't at all surprised by his approach. Nøkken snorted, a sound that could have been derision or amusement, and rose from her cross-legged position on the beam with surprising grace. She was easily a head shorter than him, but refused to give any ground. That ancient, commanding presence of hers made her seem twice as large, twice as intimidating, twice as noticeable. Her raven hair was free-flowing, unconfined by a helm or hairstyle, and her amber-gold eyes latched onto his face, the pupils slitting like a cat's.

"You are excused," she purred up at him, her honey-sweet alto easy on the ears, though the harsh lines of her tattoo contrasted sharply, "And no, I'm afraid I don't have the luxury of 'perving' on people anymore - too similar to my job." She offered a hand for him to shake, and opened her mouth again.

"So, who do I have the pleasure of speaking with?"

"Edric Carter," he hesitated upon where he would usually introduce himself for who he really was. But with the safety of his Organisation currently compromised, he didn't feel it necessary to be factual, "Just an ordinary soldier."

He shook her hand within his gauntlet, his eyes widening at the strength of her grip, which he could feel even through the metallic layer which protected his skin and bones. The woman standing before him had a powerful gaze. She was clearly trying to impose herself. Whether it was a show of strength, or that she couldn't help it, Edric didn't know. But he did see the symptoms. He saw them in himself every day. But even then, he suppressed his aura, not wanting to acquire the attention of any unwanted intruders.

The woman's face was scarred. He had never seen anyone that facially disfigured before, although he had had a few run-ins with orcs. Orc. He remembered the fellow named Goliath who had been in the Tavern for a mere week. Then, he had just somehow disappeared.

"Your job you say?" Edric mused to himself, "And what would your name be, Miss."

He stood his ground against the spiritual strength that the woman had. Upon speaking to her, he immediately felt the radiating powers from her body ready to spring onto him.

"And what is it that you do?" he gritted slightly, the oppressive aura that the woman emitted being a slight hindrance to his conversation.

"A-are you okay?" Varina asked cautiously, as the other woman seemed to be having a bit of trouble speaking. Then, when she got the words out, she asked if Varina had slit Isaiah's pants!

"Wh-what?! No, wasn't me! He musta forgot to button them back after taking a piss!" she insisted, doing her best to make up some sort of semi-plausible denial. Glancing back at Isaiah, she could see that in fact his button had somehow returned to its proper place at the center of his waist! How the heck did that happen? Varina could have sworn up and down she took that thing off! Oh well, maybe the alcohol was really starting to get to her. Or maybe it was the Tavern's weirdness again. Was it related to that weird fire that had popped up between his pants a minute ago? Either way, at least it absolved her of guilt!

"S-see, his pants are fine! No one did any--slitting!" she clarified, pointing towards Isaiah's crotch--although in her haste and confusion, she overdid it, and wound up just jamming her fingertip straight into his nether regions. Varina pulled the finger back like it had been burned upon this realization, her pale face quickly flushing red. Whoops! Hopefully the other girl didn't notice that! She was quickly distracted from her clumsy little mishap as the other girl ordered what looked like a bar of solid matter in a glass. What sorta crazy drink was that, Varina wondered? It didn't look like it was actually a drink at all! Then she touched it and it melted, and Varina was able to understand a bit better. A frozen drink that melted at your touch, huh? That was actually pretty neat!

"I'll have one of what she just had, yeah? Thanks!" Varina said to the bartender. "So, uhh..... yeah. What did you wanna talk about?" she asked as she turned back to face Heather.

She tilted her head at his introduction, and noted the strength of his grip, but decided to answer his questions first.

"I have many names across the continents, depending on where you go and whom you speak with, but my birth name is Nøkken. I'm an intelligence agent, if it so interests you." The truth - if you needed a spy, she was the go-to independant agent. Realising that she was apparently smothering him, Nøkken allowed her gaze to drop to watch his mouth moving, rather than burn holes into his brain. She brushed an irritating strand out of her face, further displaying the tattoo, which started just above her left temple and etched its way down in the glyphs of a dead language, skirting her eye socket and continuing down her cheek and throat to disappear beneath her tunic, reappearing when the left sleeve ended. Even her fingertips were inked.

"It likely is none of my business - I don't like to pry when I'm off work - but you don't seem like 'just a soldier,' Edric Carter." She left the unspoken question open - he could avoid it if he wanted to, she supposed, but if he was more than the average joe, perhaps he was the type to remember the sort of person she was looking for.

If he didn't, and no one else in this place did, then she would need to move on, look for other leads. Either way, she needed to get it done fast.

@CrimsonAurora

At the sudden feeling of an object penetrating into his sensitive bits, Isaiah shot out his seat like as if he'd been lying on a bed of coiled springs.

All at once, the side effects kicked in. He immediately lost his appetite, and everything was... Pink... He turned awkwardly, noticing Varina's fingers pointed outwards, he groaned, "Really?! Can't a man just get some sleep?!"

He noticed that the bags of money attached to his person were gone, and he had a clear idea of who might be responsible. But at this point of time, he could worry about that later.

He staggered back to his seat, taking note of the elemental princess which had somehow wound up beside them.

"Hello, Miss Sulfuras," he rolled his eyes at her strange accent.

He glanced between the two, before coming to a sudden realization, "Am I intruding?"

"Aah! You are not dead, Mister Isaiah," she said in an unnaturally cheerful voice.

She had honestly had enough awkward interactions for that day. At least she had prevented the woman from wandering off. There was not telling what she would do to Isaiah Shiversteel. Even someone with a vagina could have more balls than the lad.

"I'll leave you two to whatever you were doing," she got out of her seat with an amused look as the bartender brought a solid cube for the woman to 'drink'. She didn't see how it would be possible to her to consume it. Heather had to use her fiery abilities to heat it to a temperature that wouldn't harm her inner body. She would do anything to watch her attempt to 'eat' the solid cube that lay in the glass. 

Clingy.

Alyssa had called her that once. Clingy. Maybe she should've just left. Heather still didn't understand how interactions between sentient beings worked. She would speak to A'aria about it later.

A small spark ignited next to her head, forming a small hand. The hand waved goodbye as she turned and walked through the crowd. Bystanders parted ways to avoid coming into contact with glowing flesh. And as the crowd quickly filled up the holes, she was out of sight.

Edric shrugged, "I've been in a few scuffles, nothing much else."

A blatant lie. His armor had scratch marks all over. The once shiny metal was obscured by the slashes and strikes, and his sword didn't gleam at all in the light.

But Edric had a saying. Swords that gleam haven't been used. Armor that shines hasn't been tested in battle.

He raised his eyebrow, "Intelligence you say? The organisation that I work for specializes in intelligence gathering."

He failed to mention that agents all over Valucre were being murdered with no trace or lead found. He decided to keep that a secret for now. He would tell her if she pursued the topic.

A smile flitted briefly as she took in the state of his weapons and armour, flashing dual rows of terrifyingly sharp teeth as she hissed, "Liar. Unless they used you for target practice before these few skirmishes, you've seen far more action than you are letting on." Those teeth disappeared, and she added, "Lying is smart. I like you."

This Edric man seemed very cagey about himself, and the organisation he 'worked' for. She was indeed growing curious about him, and who he may have stumbled across in his work. Intelligence groups came across many people, and the memorable ones always seemed to be the odd characters. Second by second, her shrivelled heart beat a little more hope, a little more fire into her veins. Perhaps he had seen who she sought after. Anticipation creeping through her veins, she decided that she would do a little more prying after all.

"And what particular organisation is this? What sort of intel are you chasing?"

She took the opportunity to return her swept-hilt rapier to its proper resting place on her kidney belt at her left, the matching parrying dagger glinting at her right. It wasn't her original blade, nor did she consider it to be the best she'd ever had, but the balance was good, and the craftsmanship had stood the test of time. The sword breaker that was currently living on her baldric was a few years older and carried more scars, mostly from the blades it had cleaved in two, though some very from situations in which she'd had nothing else to block with.

@CrimsonAurora

The shieldbearer grunted slightly when the woman accused him of being dishonest. Edric highly valued integrity. It was one of the things that defined his person, and set him apart from everyone else. But if he were to be honest here, that would just be selfish. His honor wasn't worth compromising the safety of his allies. And so here he was, emotions conflicting between his two strongest traits. Thankfully, she didn't pursue her teasing any further.

"And what particular organisation is this? What sort of intel are you chasing?" she inquired.

Here, Edric was tempted to lie once again. He had really pushed it today. But for his companions' sake, he was willing to dirty his clean name yet again.

"We gather information on small threats in Terrenus. If the threat isn't resolved by heroes within a month, we resolve it for them."

That was far from the truth. The Rose Offensive sought out threats before they even became known to the local authorities. They had agents planted all over Valucre. They had a strike team, which had successfully diffused two major threats to Terrenus, ever since the team's creation. But it didn't come without a cost. During the first instance, one of the members of the team fell during the battle. Rachel Azraelian. She was later returned to life, but was never quite the same. And then, she suddenly decided to leave. No more of a ghost than when she was dead. And there had been the scarred. Edric had witnessed Kyle 'Angel' Sander lose his wing as a tradeoff for his own life. A wing that would never grow back. During the early founding days, Alyssa Cooper was shot in the eye. She underwent dangerous surgery to have a mechanical one take its place. Devin Allagard fully lost his humanity when he embraced his body snatcher form. He had been struggling to recover ever since, unintentionally turning into his dust cloud form.

His grim expression remained impenetrable. "And what would bring you here to the Tavern of Legend?"

8 minutes ago, CrimsonAurora said:

That was far from the truth. The Rose Offensive sought out threats before they even became known to the local authorities. They had agents planted all over Valucre. They had a strike team, which had successfully diffused two major threats to Terrenus, ever since the team's creation. But it didn't come without a cost. During the first instance, one of the members of the team fell during the battle. Rachel Azraelian. She was later returned to life, but was never quite the same. And then, she suddenly decided to leave. No more of a ghost than when she was dead. And there had been the scarred. Edric had witnessed Kyle 'Angel' Sander lose his wing as a tradeoff for his own life. A wing that would never grow back. During the early founding days, Alyssa Cooper was shot in the eye. She underwent dangerous surgery to have a mechanical one take its place. Devin Allagard fully lost his humanity when he embraced his body snatcher form. He had been struggling to recover ever since, unintentionally turning into his dust cloud form.

His grim expression remained impenetrable. "And what would bring you here to the Tavern of Legend?"

She knew - she just knew - that he was still being shady with certain details, but it looked as though it pained him to do so, and while she was without any shadow of a doubt a sadist when she was on the hunt, she didn't like the smell of overly distressed humans while they were living, so she decided to skirt around that topic for a while. 

"I came looking for a - a friend of mine. Last I heard of her, she was heading to this place in search of a fresh start, so I decided that it would perhaps be best to start looking here."

She was looking for Andromeda Martell. A fellow water spirit - water demon, depending on the story - though a few thousand years younger, and her polar opposite in many things. The Each Uisge had been growing increasingly bored with her monotonous life in the vast city of Drakiss, and had left before Nøkken had a chance to track her down and ask for her help. It had been weeks before she'd finally found out where the schizophrenic shapeshifter had gone.

If Edric could be cagey about his life, then she could be cagey about hers for a while, too.

@CrimsonAurora

Alright back at peak condition) 

Tobais removed his mask while he layed in the side room. A face to handsome to describe stared back he didn't waste his time looking at his eyes the windows to the soul people would often call him. He avoid the direscr stare as he knew what was lurking in there better than anyone else besides Himselves would know. He coughed up some fake blood cleaned the bathroom and put his mask back on. His face didn't matter it was just another mask to hide behind only one people could better remember. He walked out side of the bathroom dancing around Edric's back but made sure to slap a note on there so that he'd know. 

A'aria decended the stairs of the inn, rubbing her eyes to try to remove the last traces of sleep from them. She'd been mostly dozing or reading since officially joining the Rose Offensive, ironic as it seemed to her. But there simply didn't seem to be anything else demanding her attention after that. Today though, she's grown bored of the magic texts now tucked into her bag. They spoke of all sorts of magic, and how to perform it, and while she had tried, she's only succeeded with healing spells so far. Maybe it was that she was a nymph. It was possible she couldnt channel magic not linked to nature or life. 

Getting downstairs, she found the... usual level of chaos, confusion, and occasional calm conversation. Normal enough, really.  

She glanced around, looking to see if there was anyone she could speak to, maybe learn something from. At the very least, something to quell her boredom. 

Riaen removed her view from the window to look at what was happening at the tavern. ''Well Reyah, Shiro if you excuse me I am going to the bar to get more drinks. I will be back in a second.'' With that she stood up and decided to walk to the bar to get her drink. Riaen was lost in her thoughts not noticing she woul bump into someone who just stood at the first stair and bumped into her. Noticing what she had done she looked to see who she bumped into. ''I'm so sorry, I should have looked where I was going.'' With that she extended her right hand that was still formed into a dragon claw and offered to help her up. ''I hope I didnt damage something but if I did let me know and I pay for the damage.'' She quickly said.

@BeeTheNarwhal @Ravencrow

"Huh? You--"

Varina started to voice her surprise, but really at this point, was it all that surprising? This whole night was just one strange event after another, so she was getting fairly desensitized to the unexpected, almost coming to expect it, so to speak. After Isaiah asked if he was intruding upon she and Glowy Skin Girl, the latter decided to abruptly get up and leave, without ever explaining herself.

"--Guess you're not interrupting," Varina said to him as he watched the girl's figure disappear into the crowd.

Yep, the young girl had harbored a crush on Varina, and probably got too flustered to voice her feelings. That was definitely it. Having lived much of her life inside of taverns, Varina had seen the pattern of behavior plenty of times before. It was fine if Glowy Girl wanted to walk away, if she got her courage up she could always try again later. Varina wasn't going to pursue someone if they weren't comfortable admitting what they really wanted. She turned her attention back to the now-conscious-again Isaiah, wondering if the effects of the shots they'd taken together would still be felt in his mind. He'd only knocked himself out a few minutes ago, after all. Or maybe that was the true purpose of that injection he'd taken, that it was some sort of medicine that nullified alcohol? Man, that would suck--Varina didn't want to have to go through the trouble of getting him drunk all over again!

"You have nice dreams there, sleepyhead? Can't believe that was all it took to put you on your ass," she teased him, poking a finger down into the solid mass in her glass the same way that she had seen Heather do. To her dismay, nothing happened, and the solid matter refused to melt as it had for Heather. "Hey! Why isn't it working!" Varina said, frowning as she continued to poke the cube without results. "How the hell am I supposed to drink this now? Ughh!!"