Voting has reset for the month of July. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

• Announcements

• supernal

Vote for Valucre [July]   05/16/2017

Voting for the month of July is open on TopRPSites! Vote for Valucre daily and help new members searching for a place to roleplay discover the same joys you have in Valucre. You can vote daily, so make voting for Valucre a habit. Discussion thread
Acies ab Vesania

open
Tavern of Legend: Season 2

6,984 posts in this topic

A woman pushed the door open slowly, her weariness apparent in the action, as she seemed to do so more from leaning upon the doors bulk then actively pushing it open. 

The woman had light skin and light brown hair that stopped just above her waste and was a tangled mess of knots and split ends. Her eyes were a dark blue, they could almost be mistaken for grey in the right lighting, that seemed to hold an age far beyond her youthful appearance of a mere thirty years old or younger. Although her clothes were disheveled and dirty that did little to hide the quality and richness of the materials. This alone would have caused more then just a little curiosity in the average individual, but the clothes were accompanied by many fine pieces of jewelry and a tiara that clung to her tangled hair.

She stumbled in through the doorway and quickly sat at the first available seat. She froze there momentarily, burying her face in her hands and breathing. When she looked up the tracks of tears on her lightly soiled face became apparent. Her eyes began to dart about the room then, taking in everything about it, including the group that hurriedly made their way down a set of stairs. Now all she needed to do was figure out how to get a drink to parch her thirst.

Being on the run doesn't describe all who enter the tavern. It shouldn't, and any who are fleeing shouldn't come to such a public area, where any number of people can become a witness to your presence. Augur is no such thing. He is no vagabond, with vacant hopes and on a vacation of safety. Augur is more of someone people come to, and his services are why he must move. Illegal magic, the kind a vile man, the kind who you'd inform an officer of the law about, surrounds and makes him up.

The makeup of such a man, as Augur, who makes unsavory dealings for unsavory people, with savory results.

Consider the unattractive male, with odor of finely roasting roadkill, with the suspicious, unconspicious black clothing, of a cape and longshirt, with boots tained of mud and grime, accumulated from all sorts of climes. Augur is a strolling wanderer, with a splotchy olive scowl, and greasy raven hair. The frighteningly ugly man's lack of arms, too could indicate his use of magic over metal. That, or he's a very well hidden dagger somewhere about him! And, as you consider him, there's no doubt he is here to be a nuisance.

But forwardly pressing his broad body (and pressing too his garlicky and corpsey stench) to the counter, was someone 'on-break'. In his casual crane of neck and hunch of back, his slimy looking beard hanging a finger's length below his jaw, swaying as he mounts a stool, and puts his hands on the counter, elbows on the rim, and requesting a glass of wate. After all he's been walking all day. Augur abstains from paying upfront, and asserts that the barkeep put it on his tab.

The smelly man turns his head to the tiara-clad woman, and reveals a smile of yellowing teeth, which, to her surprise, don't have poison or insects pouring from the gums.

@Shaddowcat

Shaddowcat likes this

The woman watched as a man dressed in black strolled past her and up to the bar. She takes note of the stench and grime accompanying him and wonders just who he might be and where he has come from. 

As he orders a drink the fog that had been lying on her mind suddenly lifts and she realizes what she must do to get a drink. She begins to stand and just as she makes it to her feet the man turns. Looking straight at him she suddenly feels a feeling of foreboding and now wonders why he is here. Then he smiles and the thought dissipates as nothing more then unpleasant yellow teeth meet her. She doesn't return the smile.

After approaching the bar she gingerly slides onto one of the stools, being sure to place one between her and the man, her long dress making it difficult to do so. "Water?" She asks the barkeeper in a low voice that he can just barely hear. She is rewarded with a small glass of clear liquid. She smiles then and whispers, "he understood me," thankful for the small gift of a familiar language in a strange land. She begins to drink the water slowly, fearing it may come up again if she does so too quickly.

@Code: Augur

Edited by Shaddowcat

"What a shame."

Augur's voice is as unpleasant as him, being a cross between a creature of the night's bestial squall, and the murmur of a man who would like you to come into an alley and inspect the contraband he in his coat he'd like to sell you. Or, in much simpler terms, his voice is a little high, but still deep enough you know he's serious.

He chugs the water, baring the nasty scars across the back of his hand. They seem like torture cuts, incisions made to rob his fingers of mobility and also harm him. Yet, he seems all healed and dandy, gripping the cup fine as well.

The black-clad Augur remains staring at the girl at the counter. And, the lecherous man he is, seems to not only be browsing her curves and bumps, but also looking at her with pity.

"Like a fish out of water, or bear without woods to shit in."

He asks for another glass, which, the bartender hands him with a grumble, wishing his splotchy, veiny hands didn't smudge up the cups as bad as they did. The criminal swivels his body around, and uses the bar as a back rest.

"Wimminfolk often make hasty, unintelligent decisions. The kind that leave pretty lassies like you skittering about in your Sunday's best, afraid and alone. Why, it's a wonder how a lass like you didn't get plucked up by some bad man skulking about the highways. Yet, here you are, mostly unscathed, ordering water, and not returning a friendly smile."

His fishy eyeballs stare not deeply, but rather shallowly into the girl's. He's saying this to not only hear his own voice, but as a putdown to the woman he barely knows. For a petty and minor disrespect.

"It's a learned behavior, though. No matter how bad it gets, a wealthy person is going to look down on a peasant in greater wealth and spirits as she. Or...you work at a brothel, those are rhinestones, and you've come to dissociate another night of portly men pressing their bodies all over yours."

He blinks, and waits for his words to register, and if his deductions were any way right.

@Shaddowcat

supernal likes this

His words are sharp and cutting, but they miss their mark. Slowly, the woman's lips turn up into a slight smile and she lets out a short breathy laugh. "I apologize, it was not my intent to offend you. I should have returned your smile, but it wasn't until now that I realize how easily it still comes to me." She finishes her glass of water and sets it gently back down on the counter and asks for another.

"I am lucky," she says slowly,  "I have managed to escape the fate of which you speak, now hopefully I can ease myself back into the waters I have been out of for too long.

She turns to the man now, her unease dissipating whether that be good or ill, "Please, let me make up for my lack of manners and buy your next drink." It is a friendly gesture on her part, in an attempt to soothe over any hard feelings, but she also needs to make friends here no matter who they are. People who will help her orientate herself to this new and strange world. "Tell me, is gold a valuable commodity in this land?" She grabs one of her bracelets and holds it, but does not remove it from her wrist. "I have no need for such finery."

She waits, wondering if he will accept this token of hers or if his pride will be enough to keep him from doing so.  

He was feeling good about himself until now. Now he was just confused. A woman, buying a drink for him? It's unorthodox, but at least now he doesn't have to pay for his water, and maybe be able to get some food in his gut. A bracelet of gold, knowing how valuable it is, can get him much much more than just a drink anyway. Showing others, however, that he is the sudden recipient of wealth, is not a good idea.

"Don't be so loud about how much anything you've got is worth. After all, men as scary as me, but not as polite as me, have got their ears open listening for patrons to mug after they're inebriated."

He takes the bracelet after putting out his hand, and, when the girl deigned to hand the bracelet to him. He takes it, and next to him, in his hands, the stinking man makes the bracelet seem like a babe being taken by an infant-eatin' infernal, and speaking of infernal, that grin of his, and the way his fishy eyes stop being all glossy makes one find themselves feeling donator's remorse.

"But my idea seems to be fiction rather than truth. And, waters...huh, I don't want to interview you. Too happy to care about Mysterious Miss here. If it's metaphor or reality, make sure you don't get drowned." He makes a giggly noise toward his own joke, and begins spinning the bracelet about his pinky finger.

He leans back over to his own stool, and begins some shady business, muttering something inaudible as he gazes at the loop.

@Shaddowcat

Shaddowcat likes this

She hands the bracelet over to him in order that he might inspect it, see for himself the pure quality of the make. 

She cocks her head slightly when the man giggles, at least she assumes that is what he has done. As he leans over the piece of jewelry she turns back to the bar keeper and calls him over. 

"I would like another glass of water and then, if you have it, something soothing and honey flavored. Give this man whatever he wishes to have. Then, if you deem its worth to be that much, I will take a plate of food and perhaps one for him as well if he would like to have it." 

She turns back to the man, who is still leaning over the gold bauble and speaking to it. "Well?" she says to him, "aren't you going to hand it to over to him?" 

Edited by Shaddowcat
Code: Augur likes this

"You must not know how money works, if, not only you throw it around, but if you also don't understand what 'legal tender' is. Do you think the barkeep takes bracelets alongside coins? I think I've enough. The human body can go days without food. I'll barter the bracelet off, and make sure to think of you when I do it."

Augur pockets the bracelet in his pants, and he pays his tab to the barkeep. "Thank you for your hospitality." he pokes, leading the barkeep to roll his eyes. The reeking man gets off the stool, and strolls away, putting his hands in his pockets. Augur places his hand on the door, prepare wholly to leave.

Didn't the girl want to know where he came from?

Shaddowcat likes this

"if that is the case, then I have no means of payment." she says glancing at the barkeeper and seeing the startled and somewhat miffed face she had expected."I carry no coins, I have not done so for years, having lived in a land that works mostly through goodwill and some bartering and that place no longer exists now."

She looks at the place where he has pocketed the bracelet, regretting now that she handed it to him so willingly. After having seen how he had looked at it she knows it must be worth far more then she originally believed. She squelched the impulse to ask for it back, knowing this would be an unwise choice. 

"If you know of a place where I can exchange my jewelry for something I can spend, I would be grateful if you would tell me.

She paused in her speech for a moment, but then on an impulse continued, "Why do you leave so quickly, it is nearly dusk and you must have traveled all day. Are you not weary? Yes, the human body can do much, but it is difficult to travel at a such a pace with no food or sleep and I am speaking as one who can go far longer with neither of these then the average human.

She watches as he pauses at the door, his hand upon it.