Acies ab Vesania

Tavern of Legend: Season 2

Growing constantly more relaxed as the bottle drained, Danik took to staring off into the distance. The sea had lost its allure for him. Though he still loved it and always would, Danik had come to realize that he craved adventure elsewhere. The bottle of rum brought back many memories, both good and bad. He remembered the first time he killed and how it took a toll on his mind. He remembered the last time he killed and how he did it without hesitation or a second thought. "How the waves do change a man," he thought to himself.

After a while he cocked head to one side and wrinkled his brow as if focusing very hard on one point. He sat like this for some time and then spoke.

"I sense that you and I are similar, but also very different. We both know what he want and what we are willing to do to get it, however, how we get it is what separates us. You are very skilled at going unnoticed, but do not misunderstand, simply because I cannot see you does not mean I don't know you're there. No doubt this talent of yours has gained you a pretty penny and a fine few trinkets."

"Whenever I wanted something, I would simply take it, but that life is something I wish to leave behind. Known for being a thug and a thief, I was hated. I reveled in that hatred because with it came fear, and with fear came power."

"Whether or not you are a thief is a mystery to me, but few who are not thieves move as you do. I would caution you with a bit of advice my mother gave to me long ago. She said, "An unknown thief who steals little is better off than a well known thief who steals much." Keep your tracks covered and don't draw attention to yourself or you shall end up as I have. Hated and despised."

After a time in silence Danik said, "Perhaps you are not here at all and I am simply speaking my thoughts to the shadows expecting some solace....so be it, such is the way of those who find comfort in darkness."

He reached for the bottle once more.

Each limb moved with a slow purpose until Solita crossed to another adjoining beam that would bring her directly above the new stranger. He may have appeared relaxed, but even she knew how such appearances proved to be deceiving.

Now crouching on her perch, she gave a faint sniff to the air to learn of this new scent while her tail now twitched and her curiosity grew. When the lone patron began to speak, Solita was none to surprised that he knew of her presence, yet his words were intriguing enough to keep her attention. She scoffed to herself at first; at his claim of similarities. Her? Sharing any similarity with a human?

Perhaps his true occupation was a jester. He simply portrayed himself as otherwise when out in public.

With her nose now tilted away as if smugly ignoring him, his comment over hatred and being despised snapped her head back to attention. So much so, Solita now began to slowly rise up and straighten until her spine threatened to snap with a piercing stare directed on the man below. She didn’t even leap. Just a simple step off of the beam and her form dropped into a free fall through the air, but her muscles instantly tensed with her body curved forward and her back arched by the time she landed upon the table on all fours with a soft thud! in front of him.

She remained poised in such position, should the need to leap for escape would arise. Her studious gaze grew intense with a heightened flicker in her crimson eyes before tilting her head with what appeared to be a bewildered expression. Her tail was the only other limb that moved, giving it a sharp flick through the air as a silent warning before her low voice broke through the silence like shattering glass. “You speak of being hated and despised for something you chose to do.”

Her head now tilted in the opposite direction without breaking their eye contact. “Yet I am hated and despised simply for what I am

Solita gave a slow blink before drawing back. “There is no similarity in that, even if our trade is the same.”

Kayla wakes up after a very, very long slumber to realize that she had somehow ended up in a pig sty outside of the tavern.  She has no idea how she got there, and can vaguely remember that she wanted to do a quest.  But she is too drunk.

Danik blinked, and breathed a sigh, as if was relieved that he was not talking to himself afterall.

The expression on his face was curious as he looked into the crimson eyes, "An eventful evening indeed!" he thought.

"I do not hate you, nor should anyone. To be cast out and looked down upon because you're different is an injustice that few races beyond humans can contrive. I know what it feels like to hated and as a result I do not believe anyone should carry that burden."

"I hope you will forgive me for knowing little of you, your people, or their culture, as I have had little exposure to anyone beyond those aboard a ship for most of life, but may I ask, how came you to be so despised?"

She scowled from the unexpected puzzlement sitting before her. Only for her scowl to grow even deeper with narrowed eyes while her lips pursed into a tight line. Why was he not grabbing for his blade? Why did he not fly out of his seat, alarmed and screaming threats at her? Was he daft? Possibly addle brained?

Must be something in the air in this odd tavern.

Yet Solita reminded herself that she had seen a brawl or two here in the past. Maybe not violent ones, but disputes none the less. So there was nothing foul, or mysterious about the air, or some other unknown spell factor that would entrance patrons to get along where they would otherwise be at each others throats. And for far less reasons like a spilled drink.

Hmmm…. Her thoughts couldn’t help but ponder. Curious fellow. But Solita wasn’t about to let an ounce of her guard down, even when she chose to crouch back and sit on the table with her knees now bent to entwine her legs in front of her. Her face peered close again, giving the odd man another sniff and finding a hint of the sea in his scent while her lips now twisted at him. “You’re either very bored…. Or very drunk.” She mused aloud with a bland monotone while continuing to study him. Still feeling a bit baffled, she gave her head a slight shake. “What human entertains the company of a demon, let alone display empathy?”

Before giving him a chance to answer, Solita leaned back and blinked her now widened eyes back to her previous curiosity. More so at herself now that she chose to entertain his question. “What can a say? I seem to be inflicted with bad timing at all the wrong places. Perhaps because I am the only one of my kind that I know of and people find that to be something else to be afraid of as well.” She gave a shrug of indifference. “I do not care for the reasons.” She had even convinced herself of that same lie.

With curiosity giving an extra nudge, she brought her gaze back to the stranger with a haughty tilt of her chin. “You’re an odd one, I’ll give you that. What is your name?”

"Danik Kovarin," he said apathetically, as if the name did not mean much to him. "Nik to friends, if you will be among them is yet to be seen although I would not be surprised if I am of little interest to you. I am a simple man with simple ambitions. I wish to explore this world and learn its secrets. I have already found and lost both money and power,  they are of little concern to me." 

"You seem surprised as to why I find you intriguing rather than revolting and I must confess I too am confused. I have had my share of frights and few things in this world surprise me anymore. If I wanted your life I would take it."

At this he turned his gaze to the unlit candle sitting on the table to his left and snapped his fingers. The wick burst into flame.

Shifting his eyes back to the figure crouching before him, a glow visible in the deepest recesses of his eyes, he said, "I care not who you are or what you have. I have experienced all the physical world has to offer and I am finished killing because of my greed. Possessions mean nothing to me, now it is only knowledge that I seek." 

Still sitting with her legs crossed, Solita lifted them simply to rest her forearms upon her hiked knees while blinking slowly at this Danik. “My interest simply holds because you’ve made no attempt on my life...” Without thought, the corner of lips quirked. “Yet.”

It was then she allowed her gaze to slide to the very candle he lit, exposing his little talent, before her eyes veered back to his again. This time, she allowed her lips smirk enough for the light to gleam against the fangs behind them. “Well, well, Mr. Kovarin. Isn’t this night proving to be most unexpected.” In truth, Solita was quite amused to even share a conversation with another individual in this peculiar place of ruffians. She even straightened a bit, as if her curiosity piqued even more while her tail continued to waver with ease behind her, yet lifting higher in the air before it arched and the arrow tip aimed directly down at the flickering flame. While keeping the poison safely at bay, the tail dove straight into the wick with a quick jab, extinguishing the light in an instant.

Funny you should mention being able to take my life if you wish,” Her tone even lightened, as if they merely discussed the simplicity of the weather, and Solita even offered a rather delightful smile. “Why there’s another common trade we have!” Yet for now, she didn’t feel a true threat just yet by this gentleman, although wise enough to know that he could be at any given moment.

Now dropping her knees as they were before, she bent forward and propped her elbows on the table to rest her fists beneath her chin. Her eyes widened at her present company once more, clearly growing more intrigued. Maybe to appease her own boredom. “I am called Solita. Now tell me, good sir, what knowledge to you seek exactly?”

"Well as you have already seen, I know a little about fire, yet the other elements elude me. I spent some time aboard ship with an old man who knew much in the way of the flames. I learned as much as I could from him, and then found books when he had no more to teach. My knowledge of fire is what I would consider sufficient. I now seek for the other elements, to both know and wield them."

Taking a long black cigar out of his shirt and smelling it, Danik wondered if this creature could be of help to him. Putting it in his mouth, he lit it with a flame that sparked from the tip of his finger, and began to puff.

"Tell me, Solita, What do you seek in this world?"

Solita muddled over his words. Thus far, Danik appeared quite open about himself, as well as sharing what goals he sought for. It just seemed odd that he did so to her. But who was she to question the methods of strangers?

With a slow blink and a thoughtful twist of her lips, she dismissed the question for the time being and sifted through her own thoughts of what little she knew. “Genesaris, perhaps,” She muttered while watching the man produce his flame again to light his cigar. “Although I have heard people here talk of a place called Elendaron which may possess what your looking for. Ruled by an elf queen I think.”

Solita straightened herself then with a casual shrug. “I’m afraid that’s all my own knowledge has to offer. As for me?” Her nose leaned toward the bottle to give a sniff. “I once thought to seek answers. Merely about myself.’ She instantly veered back away from the aroma of the drink with a pinched expression across her face. “But I learned there was no longer a need. None of that will change who, or what I am. Finding a purpose to each day has sufficed, although it does grow rather boring.” 

There was a thud at the door, as a large wolf attempted to push the doors open itself. Sadly, the doors had handles that he could not reach, nor use. The large albino wolf waited for a passerby, giving a playful bark to pedestrians walking by to open the door for him. 

Danik peered at the empty rum bottle mournfully. He had enjoyed it, but it was weaker than he would have liked. For a while he considered the conversation, he had truly enjoyed it but the liquor was beginning to take hold and he was growing sleepy. 

"I have enjoyed talking to you Solita, You understand life in a different way than most being do. I would like to say I know how you feel, but I truly don't. I can only hope that you will be left alone by the malice of this age. Those who grow up with everything going for them rarely take the time to consider anyone but themselves and can cause great harm simply by their ignorance."

"The information you have given me is very valuable," He said after a pause, "and no doubt I shall make my way to the places you have mentioned, that is if I remember them when I wake up." He stood slowly, and slightly off balance, and made his way towards the counter after throwing his cigar out a nearby window. 

Just then he heard a thump on the door. This confused him as the door clearly had a handle and was unlocked. Anyone could enter freely, he thought, unless they had no arms. This thought amused him and he giggled slightly as he moved for the door. he turned the latch and swung the thick wooden plank open. Just outside sat a large, white wolf, apparently quite happy. Danik blinked several times, squinted at the empty rum bottle in his hand, shook his head, and turned for the bar. 

After paying for a room, Danik began to make his way up the stairs, and then stopped turning back to where Solita still sat. "I don't know if you will still be here when I awake, if not, Farewell and thank you for a most interesting evening. Perhaps we will meet again, in another time, another place, perhaps even another life. I hope you will consider me a friend and ally from this day forward." He smiled and said, "Goodnight Solita, may your blades always find their mark."

With this, he stomped up the rest of the stairs in his brand new boots. He found his room and fell into bed fully clothed, the empty bottle still in his hand.

The wolf happily strode in as the nice man opened the door for him, making its way to the bar, sitting and begging from a couple of drunk patrons. Most of them shooed him away, a couple of them yelled at him to get out. One of them licked their lips like he was a full course meal. The dog didnt seem to notice, or care at least. He was content just to curl up by the fireplace right next to the small stage meant for the tavern's occasional entertainment.

As Fenrir was about to meet up with Alex, he saw a wolf. " A wolf? In a tavern? Does anybody own it?" He thought. Fenrir decided to walk slowly towards the wolf to check if there was any identification of any sorts. When he walked closer he noticed how white the fur of the wolf is. "Is it an albino?" Fenrir thought. Fenrir stopped in front of the wolf and tried to see if it would let him pet it.

While Alex was running towards something, he turned around to find Fenrir missing. Alex, shocked, quickly looks around the tavern to find Fenrir. "Fenrir! WHERE ARE YOU!" Alex roamed around the tavern, a few of its patrons looking at him weirdly. Alex finds Fenrir, sitting by the fireplace trying to pet a wolf. "Is that... A wolfy????" Alex suddenly leaps for the wolf, petting its fur in all its glory.

Not only did the wolf allow himself to be pet, he loved it, rolling on his back, stomach up. His tail wagged with his tongue out having the time of his life. The wolf did indeed have a collar, The name on the front read LOBO while on the back it said, "If lost please contact Len Goodman at (836)" the rest of the numbers had been scratched off by something or someone. 

Having been pet enough, he rolled back up, licked the second man's hand, and rubbed up against the first one's side.