Kalmuli

Teller's Respite

With Squibs sated as well as themselves, a bath cleaning up any of the remaining goop, Kalmuli was pleased to have the time with Kalar in his more feminine form. Though, it was different. His tone of voice and mannerisms were different as well as how he carried himself.

Or rather, 'she'. 

Kalmuli was arm and arm with her now female companion, looped arm and arm with her. "Considering the kind of potions I use for enhancements, being able to change someone's gender won't be a surprise."She said with a little shrug. "Besides, it's only for a little bit. I'm rather enjoying the plusher bits of you. Seeing you in throes like that was a delight for the ears...you're far more vocal."

She grinned, rounding the corner into the dining room where everyone was already sitting and waiting. At the sight of the female Kalar, some dropped their forks that had already been eating an appetizer. "Oh my..."Brenna was the first to speak.

Gizelle whipped out a notebook, already taking notes about Kalar's new form and the others were just kind of gawking at the change. Brenna would get up, walking over and looking around them, circling around. "Kalar? What on earth did Kalmuli do to you?"She asked but in good humor. 

"Hey, I didn't do anything this time. He wanted to help with Squibs so Kalar turned into Kala to help out."She said, wrapping an arm around the feminine form beside her and giving it a squeeze around the hip. "Not that I mind the change."

"I do believe I said before that Avionia culture is predominantly a matriarchy, this form helps ease otherwise tense situations to those who are more apprehensive to my birth form. Fortunately it is something I can change with some amount of frequency. The spell only requires a full rest in order for me to apply it again to revert back. But I assure you, it is quite... functional." Kala gave a wink and sauntered over to her seat at the table.

"Besides, Squibs had felt so neglected." The final two words held a deep and almost chiding tone to it. "I was afraid that it'd get too involved and I wouldn't be able to see my poor Kallie for dinner. She gets lost so easily in the throes, you see. You would think she was an avion - perhaps that part of the attraction." 

Kala eyed the reactions from each of the individuals with a bit of selfish delight in her odd blue eyes. It was nice to see people placed on their back foot yet again when it came to her appearance. People attached so much to gender and appearance of physicality that it was an absolute railing to see such explanations turned on their head. But Kala knew quite well that the differences ran deeper than just appearances and stances in society. It was not the first time the being had changed genders and she witnessed the difference in how the body influenced the mind. Different mental connections, different chemicals influencing emotions. Hormones played differently, especially for an avion. It was an experience not to be taken for granted or simply discarded. Kala and Kalar were in some ways different people - or at least a different result when the core of the person was portrayed through a different scope. The paradox, however, long had taken such things in stride given how many lives they had lived. With each flip of the script a new part was not just played, it was felt, and those layers existed in tandem upon one another.

It gave an entirely different sense of identity, that the paradox simply just accepted in each turn. For 'Kala" this was just another - a day in another sleeve of person-hood.

"I do hope this isn't an affront to any of you? I've met so many who've seen this as some sort of mockery. I can tell you I've already lived natural female lives, and this experience is not any different from what I can recall of them. For tonight, at least - I am one of the ladies. The wonders of knowing the right magics."

Kalmuli's eyebrow quirked as she went to her seat at the head of the table, sitting down and crossing her legs. She had changed back into her standard mage robes, smirking. "Perhaps you've spent too long in a man's body that you're forgetting who's mouth seemed to loose all motor control...and who let Squibs soak up all of those herbs. I've never seen him so riled up."She said as she leaned forward to collect some of the appetizers on the table, sitting back to munch on a bit of miniature meat pies. "Of course usually when I get someone else to help, they tap out quickly. It's nice to have someone with a same if not similar endurance."

Kalmuli munched, looking down the table as the other women adjusted to the sight of Kalar's female form, Kala. It was an initial shock considering his personality seemed to change with the different hormones. Kala was more abrupt and blunt in her comments. "We'll have enough catalyst material for potions for a while considering the amount that came out of him..."She said, finishing up the mini pie in a few bites. "And us."

Hiegel dragged a hand down her face. She shook her head in disbelief. "Toxic Turkey is now a Toxic Turkette..."She said, picking up her ale mug and throwing it back, chugging the remaining contents.

"Welcome to the Valkyries for the time being then."Brenna giggled. "We'll have to figure out a code name for you when you're in this form. Each of us have one."

"I vote 'Toxic Turkette'."Hiegel spoke up.

"Ew no..."Plume said with a scrunch of her nose. 

"I'd rather not such a nickname. After all, if we were to give nicknames based of our most embarrassing moments, I am quite certain I would not be on the top of the list." Kala looked about to everyone to see where their reactions might lie in response to such a statement.  "If you must name me something I would hope it would bear the same amount of respect given to your own names in code."

It was only then that, with almost exceeding politeness and court manner, Kala began to dine upon the food provided to her. She was far more cautious as to which foods she picked, opting out of the meat pie for the portions of egg that might have been used for the crust, and instead opting to pick at any fruits and vegetables that were available for her to consume.  She paused as she considered the concept of code names, affectionate terms that were comprised of intent and meaning to depict someone before their identity as a whole was revealed. Kala was familiar with quite a few that was associated with her female form as well as her male. However she did not feel particularly inclined to simply offer them up blindly. Perhaps with some inspiration from the others she would feel the urge to share some that matched the theme of how they were shared.

"Speaking of such, I do believe I have not heard your own. Perhaps it would be best that I preview what sort of title culture I am partaking in before we brainstorm which should be used for me. I wouldn't want to feel like a miss-match now, would I?" Kala intentionally putting the pun to her name simply for the sake of self-amusement. 

The pun caused a universal groan around the room, Kalmuli shaking her head and rolling her eyes. "Ugh some things never change no matter the gender."She said with a sigh, sitting back and looking around the table as the others returned from their initial shock. "That being said, using a code name is good for when we are out doing official business. Mine is Weaver."

"Banshee."Hiegel responded.

"Pixie."Niles piped up.

"Hush."Brenna said, bringing a finger to her lips and winking.

"Vulcan."Plume chimed in.

"Medicus."Gizelle added in last.

Kalmuli would nod. "It's usually based on skills and specialties. You've got your hands and wings in quite a bit...so narrowing it down should be easier."She smiled, leaning her head in her and on the arm of the chair. "Then it's put to a vote."

Kalmuli sat back up again as the golems started filing the table with more food, including a lot more meats and vegetables that would make it easier on Kalar. She helped herself to a bit of pot roast and some of the side vegetables cooked with it that were soft and easy to eat. "Mmm...Though it's safe to use a different one you've used before."

Kala looked over to Kamuli and smiled a moment. The idea already came to her mind as she began to hear each of the titles. The avion had to study history in the process of understanding magic, there was a creature that was often associated with only one gender, but shared a name between both gender. A feathered creature who's song brought others to call and pulled them into trance and riches, or death and servitude, depending on the tale told. With a curled smile, the lady spoke up in her smooth voice a single word as a title.

"Siren" She looked up from her brows to the entire crew, her eyes switching from one to the other to see their reaction, the eyes looking like they peered into the souls of each. "Do you think such a title would be appropriate? Or is it already taken by another agent of yours I have not met?"

With a preference for performance magic, and a drawing beauty, let alone the obvious wings, it all seemed to fit together in the same vein as all the other titles given out. So as the avion sampled more of the pot roast and some of the steamed vegetables she kept her silence to hear the thoughts of others if they decided to speak it aloud.

Kalmuli tapped her chin and the others soaked the name in as they ate their dinners. However, the head elf would shake her head. "Too close to Banshee...a female spirit or an entity that their songs lead you to death..."She said as she took a sip of wine. It cleansed her mouth out of any leftover Squibs residue that lingered in her gums. 

Hiegel nodded in agreement. "Wouldn't Harpie be better? She's got wings."She suggested, biting into a bit of steak. 

"Mmm...but Harpies aren't exactly intelligent. What about 'Sphinx'? Kalar and Kala are both known for their riddles and be particularly persuasive."Kalmuli suggested. "We can draw up a list...Though Sphinx works. I met one that protected an ancient library that in order to access any information, you had to answer a riddle correctly or be eaten. Luckily, I'm good friends with someone who loves talking in riddles."

"Sphinx's are said to be beautiful as well."Brenna added. 

Kala paused, and looked up at Kalmuli for a moment, as if she had spoken a mild insult to her. Her eyes went back to her food. "Banshees commonly do not sing, at best they keen. Even the most modern of legends coin the terms 'Banchee's wail.'"

Kala looked serious, which made sense to know her background, she was a medium. She danced with spirits and sang across the veil of life and death as both man and woman.  They were all far more than myths to her. So when she spoke of spirits, she spoke of friends, and had the instinctive level of defensiveness that Kala was doing her best to keep in close check.

"They are also portends of death. The most aggressors of such spirits will call the life out of a being where they stand - thus the wail. They are associated with island lands, and not the sea itself - like the Siren. The Siren themselves only sang songs of allure out to sailors at sea. Leading them to death or shipwreck. The former mourns while the latter is cursed, for if a Siren is heard and ignored, she and her song vanishes. The fate of a mourning Banshee is much more difficult to escape for she is often a lost loved one calling for a family member to join her."

Kala smiled and sipped her drink. She enjoyed recounting the legends that fell in the stories. In truth they were all told to explain spirits that all served different functions - but they were as much swayed by conception as they were beings that could be witnessed. "Spirits - from wisps to gods - are fragile, they are molded by our perception. When we lose or warp these tales, we change those spirits tied to them. That is the largest reason why I despise religion. Many of them, more than any other grouping, warp and corrupt spirits for no other reason than their own desire to spread their influence - and often in ignorance of the consequence. Like if one unleashed a mutating plague upon the world to rise those who were specifically targeted to be immune, not even realizing nor willing to hear that they are festering a crippling disease."

Kala shook her head and smiled. "Perhaps it is not wise for me to pick a spirit to for my role. Wings on Sphinx are optional; often merely decorative, and they are more defined by the body of a lion. They do however speak in riddles. And they are a case example of the powers of perception. They were often guardians of tombs or spiritual realms, but when certain nations twisted the tale in turning them malignant - they were made much the same. The fear and admonishment carved a hole in their beings that forced them to follow the tale, feeling that only in consuming the beings that viewed them with animosity, that they could fill the hole their concept of them carved out. Thus the legend of Sphinx eating those who could not answer their riddles became true - caused by the very legends that were false to start. Thankfully the tales of such horror has faded over time and most are more the selves peaceful guardians they originally were."

The Avioness eyed those around her with a soft smile. "And that will be the end of tonight's lesson." She chuckled, more amused than embarrassed at her tendency to lecture. Information however was important and it should be spread with care. She was not sorry for sharing what she knew. "In short, I'd be honored to be called a Sphinx in your company. Our features differ but our tales are much the same - as I guard the spiritual fiercely and I have mentioned earlier my associate's tendency to related me to graves and tombs."

Kalmuli knew she had triggered a lecture on spirits when she saw the look in Kala's eyes. She rolled her own, leaning to the side again and sipping her wine as she started to explain the differences. "I forget sometimes you are so tied to the spirits that you wrote the book on them."She said with a shake of her head. "But you're right...I think a spirit name would be unwise. Wouldn't do them the honor. Sphinx works...buuuut...I think we could do one better."

There seemed to be a heavy sigh around the table. "Maybe we can find a few library books with some ideas."Plume suggested. "I think we can find a really pretty name."

"Or maybe just a bird. Black wings...there's lots of birds with black wings."Hiegel said, pouring herself more ale. "Crow. Raven. Paradise Birds. Salt Gulls."

Kalmuli shook her head. "Bird names are also very common...I've got some multi-verse mythos books on the upper shelves."She suggested. "We'll look up a few more....and put a vote to the best ones."

"How about 'Bookworm?'"Niles chimed. 

"...we'll do research."

"'Keeper' still works just fine, you know." Kala stated with raised eyebrows. "Very rarely do I have any titles related directly to my wings... more often than not they are hidden for convenience sake anyways. Although, I do like keeping them out in this form... they just feel more relaxed while they are out. Shame though, as it precludes me wearing anything resembling a bra." As if to accentuate the issue, Kala shifted her wings around her back, right around the areas where the straps would normally go. She wasn't too well endowed, which was to be expected of avion, but it would be enough to cause issue if the body had aged poorly.

"There are always other titles, Meddler, Librarian, Reaper. There was a time when I first started experimenting with Blood Magic as form of offense and healing that I earned the title 'Rouge Darkangel' - and yes my cheeks do turn that color if I push myself with that particular craft. It's quite darling in the right setting. Not so flattering on the male body."

Kala reached over and poured herself some wine which she happily drank as well. "But enough about me, darlings. I hear so little about you all. You all work so dutifully but a person is so much more than where they are from or what they do for a job. What do you all enjoy? What interests you beyond your professions? Any hobbies, guilty pleasures?" She leans forward with a coy smile on her lips. "I want to know all about you. After all - this is to be my new household, yes?" 

Kalmuli sat back, crossing her legs as she watched Kala get more comfortable though her eyes did look down to the female version's chest. "I don't mind that so much..."She said with a bit of a perverted smile. "Ease of access is the best kind of access. We just need to get you some pants with velcro on the crotch...I think I might have a pair somewhere."

The other ladies seemed to smile a little awkwardly. At least the Baroness seemed to be back to normal. Being laid up and suffering in pain for the longest time had dulled her. Having Kalar around seemed to bring out that bit of excitement again and the challenges that came with it. "Yes but those are ones that other spheres have known you as...this a new world for you to scratch a new image of yourself if you wish. A new nickname would help bring it to reality."She suggested. "We'll think of one that will fit for this world and with the group."

The Valkyries looked between them all but Brenna chuckled and gave Kala a little poke. "It's my turn now isn't it?"She said, sticking her tongue out. "We didn't talk much earlier. Hard to talk with pins between your lips."

She would sit back, stirring the bits of her food together into a mush. A habit she had since she was a child. "Interests...well, I've always enjoyed the arts. Sewing, crafting and such. It's much of work as it is a hobby for me. Granted, I modeled for some artists in the past...Though I do enjoy reading. Collecting odd bits of information that I can use for later for hobbies or just because I'm bored. I'm sure you already know what my real guilty pleasure is though."She said, glancing over to Hiegel who was adding more potatoes to her plate. 

Kala paused, looking around at the awkward glances that were being exchanged and in the smiles. The male counterpart was content to simply ease it down and change the subject, but it seemed that everyone in the room had taken that approach to Kalmuli, and thus she had reign to make those flirts towards Kala and her male form as much as she wished. Kala, however, was far less tolerant of it.

"Kalmuli, dear, you are making the room uncomfortable. Would you do us the courtesy of keeping the pillow talk out of the dining hall? You know me quite well enough that I would never degrade myself, nor expect you to degrade yourself to wear such things in public. I know our time apart has left you a mess, and I will always regret it -but you are better than this. Dab the saliva off your jowls just a little bit, if you would please. I am not going anywhere this time - and the flirtations are far more attractive when they are not so constant."

Kala's patient and loving smile felt so much warmer when she expressed it as a woman. The mask just simply wasn't there. It didn't need to be. Kala held a frame that was both comforting and imposing in the same motion. Kalar may have been a guest, and a member under Kalmuli in the household but Kala was always and ever Kalmuli's mentor, friend, and lover, and she held the bearing of her position as such naturally.

"You don't need to prove your affections to me, I feel it in every glance you make and breath you take. It is more than I could have ever dreamed of after my sins against you. And, though I never thought it possible, I love you more now for our parting and your forgiveness than I did before. So let us save the intensity between us for when it counts, m'love. You'll feel it better to deny yourself just a bit, before submersing yourself in it."

Kala leaned over and kisses Kalmuli on the forehead affectionately and wrapped her arms around the elf for a warm hug showing that she was not so much annoyed as concerned. The room seemed to fade into the background for Kala, at least in that moment, as the most important person in her life was right there in her arms, and it mattered to her that she got through her intention to her partner.

"I look forward to crafting a new chapter together, with you. We'll find my title soon enough. There is no rush."

She parted only after a moment and resumed her seat. Now turning her eyes over to Brenna who had gone to tell her tale.

"Actually, your guilty pleasure is still a bit of a question. If it's Hiegel, I'd ask why you felt so guilty. She's more than I would consider a worthy mate, and I am rather happy that the two of you found each other. So, no... I don't know what you are talking about quite there. Perhaps you would be more comfortable to elaborate in private. If so, I understand. But tell me, 'Hush' what got you into the trade you did not speak so much of in your statement? Such things are tinged with danger and a seamstress isn't exactly the best beginnings for that craft, although I do hear it is somewhat of a common cover in certain circles." 

Kalmuli looked like a puppy that had been swat with a newspaper. She looked up to Kala, stiff and big-eyed as she was embraced. Looking away from the table, the Valkyries saw that perhaps she was guilty for acting so boldly and uncouth. She would reach up, patting Kala on the back but the gesture itself felt awkward. "I..."She started though she couldn't really finish.

Kala parted, kissing her on the forehead and going back to her seat. At least the other women in the room. She sat back in her chair, bringing her hand up to play with the curled end of her bob, sitting quietly at the end of the table. 

Brenna would smile, distracting Kala a bit while Kalmuli settled down. "Oh, it's not Hiegel I'm guilty about. It's the things I do with Hiegel that can be scandalous in some circles."She said with shrug, looking over to the Airship Captain who was busily munching and not paying much attention. Food seemed to make her blind to what was happening around her, even with Brenna saying her name. Brenna would smile. "Let's just say...I'm a bit nosy. I enjoy it. Getting my ears and eyes on something taboo to the public eye has a bit of a rush."

She scratched her temple a little.  "Although that's what brought me to Altissium...It just so happens that I was supposed to gather information on our Baroness...and instead of getting hanged as a spy, she's hired me to be her eyes and ears."She said with a little awkward laugh. "My job as a seamstress did let me hear a lot of scandalous details about leadership and communities...No one looks at low level workers. No one would think to question if I understood anything they were saying."

Kala's eyes linger a bit on Kamuli. Perhaps she had been a bit harsh to her mate. Both Kala and her male counterpart both prefered and was much more attracted to the subtle expressions of attraction, well, more subtle than the overt conversations that had been gone on. That, and she wanted more to know that Kamuli genuinely cared than simply saw them as an easy access to sexual venting. That, and Kala was worried, now openly so, that Kamuli was simply drowning herself in her sensations, rather than facing her own demons. The avion had words about that approach to life - Kalar had more than experienced more than his share of that habit, and knew what it lead to in the long run. A million empty pleasures could never fill a pit in one's soul.

Kala turned her eyes to Brenna and nodded. "I may ask the details in more private company, but only some. Things that are more comfortable to say and do not betray you any trust. But it is good to know at least that the royals here are so poor at the game to speak with loose lips. Such intrigues are not beyond the eyes of leaders more keen, however - as Kalmuli has likely already made you well aware of."

"Although, I have heard a lot of references to Altissium, but not much about it in proper. What kind of place is it, why was Kalmuli given a regent offer above others? What sort of culture is this place, and is it close enough to visit with ease, or along trip? There is so much I do not know and all of it, I feel, must be known. More so if I am to fill any role of note. I'll try not to press too quickly, but with the nation suffering from this drought, and now the plague - I cannot help but be apprehensive and anxious to act."

Brenna folded her hands together, resting her chin on them. She could see why Kalar and Kala got the nickname 'Meddler'. "Every bit of information has a price."She said as she grinned. "I'm sure you've got a good offer for anything I may have."

The elf would sit back, tilting her head and then wandering her eyes up to the ceiling. Everything for them started in Altissium. "It's a coastal city. One of the largest and even has an undersea port connected to it. The Queen there was on leave since she was pregnant and didn't want to stress out the child...so for the term and for a little while longer, she was stand-in Queen."She explained, taking a bit of her hair that was in a tiny braid, twirling it around her finger while she spoke. "It's very much a port town. You've got your shanty towns down by the shore and then the palace up near the cliffs. There's very much a class system...but from here...hmmm..."

Brenna counted on her fingers in her free hand. "It's about a three or four day journey. It's hard to get into unless you've got a border pass."She said, resting her hand back down in her lap. "Otherwise, it's quite a sea side metropolis. I had quite a lot of fun myself. Cities are more my speed and shopping is my weakness."

Hiegel seemed to stop eating a moment when Brenna brought it up. "She'll fill the Bobbin if she could."