Pasion Pasiva

To Freedom {Lo'Bre Seaside City}

“Here you go Victoria,” said the woman behind the bar. She was pretty, but old -- with cruel wrinkles starting to show just around the edges of her bright, blue eyes. The woman had mentioned her name, right after informing her that she was the bartender and that the small hole-in-the-wall establishment was hers. Gabriela didn’t remember the name, she had been in a haze of nostalgia when she sat herself down on a stool and crossed her arms over the smooth and clean bar top.

“A warm brandy, right?” went on the woman, inching the golden-brown colored liquid towards her newest patron.

Gabriela, or rather Victoria, finally reacted and smiled bright and wide, “yes that’s right!”

She gave a shimmy of excitement, something that seemed appropriate for a bubbly blond (as if a short glass of brandy was), and reached out for the small round coaster on which her elegant glass stood. Carefully, but with the same level of excitement, she pulled her drink close.

“You don’t strike me as a brandy drinker,” said the woman -- Stephanie -- that was her name. She had both her hands on the bar, gripping the edges as she leaned close, but not too close. There was a sparkle in her eyes, and her easy smile revealed an coy sort of attraction that Gabriela found charming.

Humans simply couldn’t resist falling in love.

“Yeah? Well don’t you judge a book by its cover,” she replied in a sing-song voice as she plucked her glass and lifted it to the dim and warm lights overhead. She marveled at the color of the liquor and smiled at the warmth of it as she swirled it around. From here, she could appreciate the aroma.

“But I guess you’re right,” she confessed after a moment, a heartbeat or two. Looking up at Stephanie, Gabriela’s smile grew a bit sad, a bit more like a frown. “I don’t really drink it, I can’t. It was my grandfather’s favorite drink. Sometimes I can’t help myself and I order a brandy just to put myself back in his old, dusty study. It had the most pungent smell of leather and ink.”

Both women became silent then. Stephanie reflected on the lovely sentiment and memory that this young woman was sharing, and then in turn, thought of her own family. She remembered both her grandfathers -- sweet old men. It was a wonder that a complete stranger could come in and stir up such happy memories. It didn’t happen nearly enough.

“Well, Victoria, you let me know if I can get you anything else.”

“Yes, I will -- thank you Stephanie.”

Alone.

Gabriela sat alone and all the charm and fake happiness and warmth were cast off like a layer of melted water off a block of ice. She sat there as a figurative dark cloud formed above her head, but mostly in her eyes and heart.

From the moment she set foot in the small establishment she had lost the party of people she had managed to gather on her way here. Thankfully, she wasn’t feeling nearly as sick anymore from the strange magic that “Duncan” used to get them here from Orisia. There were still traces of it, like slender, weak arms hanging off her neck, trying to pull her back to that wretched island, and all those wretched feelings and memories.

Glancing up and behind, she checked to see where everyone had gone. She held her brandy glass close to her heart, and breathed deeply of the sweet vapors that rose from the warm liquid within. With her other hand, she held tight to the satchel on her lap.

Though she was trying to run away, there were some things she could not let go.

"To freedom," she said to no one as she lifted her glass and pretended to drink. 

A now tipsy Cassie detaches from the random girl she'd just finished making out with on the dance floor and saunters over to the bar, her light brown skin showing hints of a blush beneath the skin on her cheeks. "Heyyy bartender! More gin, ph-pl-请!" She says, waving to Stephanie with a smile. "That means please, sorry." She hurriedly adds as she re-lights a half-finished cigarette.

Taking a puff and then an exhale of the nicotine, she turns to look at 'Victoria' and grins, her blue eye twinkling as she scans Victoria from top to bottom for any points of interest. "Hi, 'Vicki'!" She says in greeting, at the same time trying to wrap her left hand around Victoria. "Let's chat a bit and forget about lousy old Duncan!"

It is then that her eyes go from appraising Victoria's beauty to the glass of brandy in her hand. The still full glass. "I'm a gin girl, myself. Helps out during the long nights, though I prefer drinking it more." She chuckles at the end, pointing to the top of the glass. "Why not drink sssome? Leddit take off the edge!"? 

Edited by Eagle-77

In one of the corner of the bar, sat a giant man and only his big brown boots, that seemed to be specially made, considering the size and shape of it. His legs that were covered by black baggy pants, being put together and all the way up to his chest so there would be space. And his head lowered and back hunched so he could even fit into the house. Being so far up that the light from the light sources didn't even reach up to his face, covering it in shadows, and making only his body visible. The table itself had to be moved farther back so he could fit in. And on each side of him are 2 crew-members, making it 4 in total. Nearly all of them had a glass of beer or something to drink with. But he, the giant man, had a barrel on the table, ready to be chugged when needed.

This man was and is Redbeard, an infamous pirate among few people somewhere. But not partically infamous, considering he doesn't let any survive when raided. That would only bring to him attention and not being able to sit into a bar like this. Even if he got few glares and curious eyes on him when he entered the bar, but he couldn't blame them and not like he hasn't gotten any of those in his lifetime of being alive. Adding the fact he has killed many people with his bare hands or his loyal axe, so he wasn't surprised one bit.

But when he was the one giving glares, now that is strange and unusual of him to do. But it was just something about those two ladies by the bar, not that was strange, it was quite normal. But there was something about their looks and personalities that he could see from what he had seen. Was it because they looked lonely and might want to join his crew? Was it maybe because he noticed something that slipped out of his old mind? Were they rich? He didn't know for sure, but was himself was curious. But he would have a hard moving with all the space he had, so he sent one of his crew to ear-drop close by, trying to catch up any information he could.

The Basic Blues bar was nice enough. Though small, it was clean and well-kept, filled with the aromas of fresh food and good wine. The patrons were mostly of casual dress, none too poor or too rich. While a few were clearly drunk, most seemed to keep moderation in mind, enough to enjoy the jaunty flute and singer performing at one end of the bar and to keep tasting their fine drinks.

“Duncan” observed all of this with his usual frown, leaning against a wall not far from Victoria. One hand cradled a glass of ale; the other was tucked into a pocket sewn into his trousers. Even though the bar was not overly crowded, he felt mildly claustrophobic. He was not used to being in places like this, filled with people and tucked into a dark corner. He preferred the vast, empty rooms of his mountains, or the open, bright skies where nothing could disturb him.

He breathed out an exasperated sigh as he turned his hazel eyes to the retired vampire queen, currently besieged by the girl Cassie, who at the moment looked like she at least was having a good time. He glared at the two, sharply aware of their actions and words, watching Victoria carefully. It was not that she did anything out of place. It was not that she acted suspicious in the least. No, she even took a drink and pretended to partake in it, maintaining the politeness of any decent patron.

No, it was simply that she was out of place. She did not belong here. She was too regal, too beautiful, too serene. Though others might not see it, Duncan did. And somehow or other, he knew she would draw the wrong eyes, and she would find herself in trouble. Deep, loathsome trouble. She could run all she liked, but she was prey to distress. Sooner or later, she would be caught.

And he would be there to see it all. He smirked, taking a sip of the thick, amber ale. It was just a matter of time; until then, he watched, and waited.  

“Why not drink sssome? Leddit take off the edge?”

What edge -- she wanted to ask, but decided not to. Gabriela sat quite still and quite straight, with perfect posture even as the young woman who had joined their small band just moments ago, hung off her neck like a cheap piece of heavy costume jewelry. It wasn’t particularly hard to keep her composure, even as she breathed in the hot and heavy breath of one who had managed to guzzle down God only knows how many drinks. How was it even possible for Cassie to be so drunk already? Hadn’t they just walked in, no more than ten or fifteen minutes ago? It was a wonder, and it made Gabriela curious to taste the young woman’s blood. Perhaps there was some special quality to it, some utter lack of resistance to the effects of alcohol.

She envied the ease of Cassie, her sort of youthful joy -- even if she lacked grace, charm, and tact. That, perhaps, in and of itself was attractive enough. Gabriela couldn’t be bothered to think about it for more than a moment.

Offering a smile, a gentle and lenient smile -- the sort of smile an adult gives to a child -- she took a “sip” of her brandy. The golden liquid touched her lips but went no further, even though she went through the motions of swallowing and then widened her smile as if to say, there, look, what a tasty drink. But it wasn’t really good tasting. All alcohol came with that stinging bite of bitterness or an unbearable sweetness. She detested the flavor, as she did with many human foods and drinks, but enjoyed the aroma.

“So what would you like to chat about,” Gabriela asked, carefully shrugging off Cassie’s arms from around her neck and gently nudging her toward a seat of her own. She was not the sort to enjoy, let alone allow, close contact.

“And do be nice to dear old Duncan,” golden eyes lifted and she caught his from across the room. He was watching her like a hawk, thinking all manner of unkind things no doubt. Again, she had to pause and wonder why he had come...So long as he wasn’t the one to give away her secret to anyone back on the island.

Looking back, shifting her gaze and her mental gears from the shadow of the High Lord that loomed over her, back to the tipsy girl by her side, Gabriela made another discovery. She saw the giant -- a massive creature who sat, rather uncomfortably so, between a small group of companions. It was hard not to take notice of him, simply for his massive scale.

A giant, in these parts? So far from the land of magic and power -- Genesaris.

Strange.

She took note of how the large creature, whose face was hidden in shadow, turned to a companion and whispered some words. She heard some of it, an order of sorts to sit and listen. It wasn’t until the man got up from the table and took a seat not far from them that she realized they were the target of interest.

She was too conspicuous. Duncan was right, she couldn’t help but draw attention to herself.

“You know,” she said suddenly, blinking clarity into her golden eyes, “I’ve never cut my hair...I’ve always worn it very long.” She tilted her head and swung the heavy rope of a braid that her hair had been woven into. There was a string of pearls looped through the lustrous black hair.

“Perhaps it’s time for a change.”

Cassie's biting her lips as she watches Victoria watch her, realizing for the first time that evening that the woman before her is beautiful, as in, really beautiful and good looking. She'd mostly come here to just relax, hang out, get drunk for the night maybe, not expecting any one-night stands or anything - lord knows, with her job as a field hacker and courier, running around and climbing hard-to-reach places can get tiring, no matter how she might enjoy the job. She'd become something of a regular club-goer due to the people who took care of her when she had nowhere to go, and the circumstances themselves didn't help. Orphaned while still a teenager did a number on her psyche, and when she discovered gin, she never looked back.

The dark-skinned asian girl, with her one robotic blue eye and her twinkling brown eye, finds herself more focused on Victoria herself than on her drinking technique, suddenly getting a rather uncanny feeling about her general posture. Even when the other lady smiles after 'tasting' the drink, Cassie can't help but notice how... 'perfect' her smile is.

Her hands drop off Victoria's arm, which cause a frown to show on her face before she can hide it. Nonetheless, Cassie takes her seat and continues enjoying her cigarette. Unbeknownst to 'Victoria' and 'Duncan', nicotine reacts with certain nanomites in Cassie, causing a chain reaction that expels excess alcohol through the sweat pores. The girl is about to sober up quickly; juuust to the point where she still feels something, but her senses aren't so impaired. It's a long night, she can repeat the process for as long as there's ample cigarettes around. It's only this process of sobering up from causing Cassie to choose 'Victoria's' beauty as a chat topic.

"What's... w-what's up with Duncan, anywayyyy?" She asks, as sweat begins to pour from her brown forehead. At this point, Cassie pulls an absorbent handkerchief from her back pocket and begins wiping her face with it. "Ahem... I mean, he... looks so high an' mighty, like he thinks he's superior to others." She glances at him and a frown forms on her face for as long as she keeps her eye on him. Her look is a hard stare that says 'I got my eye on you, punk', a look she maintains for a few seconds before looking away. "It's obvious you and king-shit don't get along, but--"

9 hours ago, Pasion Pasiva said:

“You know,” she said suddenly, blinking clarity into her golden eyes, “I’ve never cut my hair...I’ve always worn it very long.” She tilted her head and swung the heavy rope of a braid that her hair had been woven into. There was a string of pearls looped through the lustrous black hair.

“Perhaps it’s time for a change.”

Cassie stops speaking mid-sentence, her eyes open wide as her artificial eye focuses on the string of pearls. As far as she can tell, they look real. "Wow." She's as sober as she wants to be now, and she wipes away the last booze-sweat before squeezing the hanky onto the floor and then pocketing it. "It's so beautiful." Her voice cracks as she stares at the pearled hair, looking to see what 'Victoria' would do next. At this point, the girl is so taken in by the pearls that she momentarily blocks out her immediate surroundings.

Edited by Eagle-77
future vampire cassie?

Jasper was suspicious. At the bar, there were two women, one of them quite beautiful but something was... off. He took out a small, flat piece of paper and pretended to examine it. In fact, this was a prototype "Looking Glass" manufactured by his brother, Edmund. As he peered through the 1-way clear paper, he noticed a dark cloud of emotions hanging above her. A secret?... "Now, what do we have here?" He whispered. Suddenly, the woman (Victoria, they called her) whipped around and looked in his general direction. Jasper stiffened, then kept pretending to examine the paper. Victoria looked around, then went back to her drink. Phew.