Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Voting has reset for the month of October. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Roen

The Valucre Combat League

Quiz time  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Where has Roen been?

• Working like a dog
    • Having wars in space
    • Preparing for the holidays
    • Screaming obscenities
    • Tearing his bedroom apart and making it fit for sleeping
    • Being lazy
    • All of the above

Glad to see people trying stuff out. To start simply, I could comfortably use this system in a one on one match anywhere. Hell, if I wanted to try and if I found the right opponent, I might even be able to make it work to resolve a board related conflict. To be honest, however, I do think it would be beneficial for someone to create a system that specifically covers board related conflicts. Ie, large scale warfare. That sounds like a migraine ( in my nutsack ) to think about but it would be good. In the end, it just depends on the people playing. Some might prefer something more dedicated and others might be fine with what's available. Nothing wrong with either stance.

I intend to make a version of a rule set I wrote up recently with feedback from Robbie Rotten that's supposed to be used in canonical conflicts but that's just on a 1 vs 1 basis. Later on I will also modify it to be a team based combat system. After that, if I can find some painkillers for my nuts, I might try my hand at a large scale warfare system. Board related conflicts in and of themselves are really difficult, however. Because there's something of substance at risk ( lore, previous roleplay ) it gets difficult for players not to get aggressive. I entertained an idea for when I write a system for use in board related conflicts that would disallow two players with a clear OOC beef from participating. That's just me, and it's extreme, but I think it'd work. Someone else might feel another way. If you do, try your hand at a rule set for it. 

For now, if Roen is at peace with what he has here and others are as well, there's nothing wrong with kicking this off. I liked what I saw in HoH and this seems somewhat similar. To me, so far, this is just pretty exciting if I have a chance to get involved moving forward. 

This is open source, which means if you find anything you like here, you're more than welcome to use it to spin something else. I like this here, but this is just the start. I want people to get a fire and see if they can put their own spin. If we do this together and unite, and continue to improve, the sky is the limit.

46 minutes ago, LastLight said:

I entertained an idea for when I write a system for use in board related conflicts that would disallow two players with a clear OOC beef from participating. That's just me, and it's extreme, but I think it'd work. Someone else might feel another way. If you do, try your hand at a rule set for it.

I would have to advise against that. Someone being told they cannot participate because their opponent does not like them, even if they are otherwise qualified and desired by their "side" to be the champion, would probably be seen as a personal affront in and of itself and/or very unfair, and only stoke further drama. You're also going to have problems in who decides who has "beef" with who and what that term means. Some people will take something as simple as not holding the same opinion on an abstract, non-personal subject and say that's enough to be construed as "beef" on a personal level, while others such as myself would find such a notion to be utterly ridiculous, yet it clearly happens (and quite regularly at that).

1 minute ago, Robbie Rotten said:

I would have to advise against that. Someone being told they cannot participate because their opponent does not like them, even if they are otherwise qualified and desired by their "side" to be the champion, would probably be seen as a personal affront in and of itself and/or very unfair, and only stoke further drama. You're also going to have problems in who decides who has "beef" with who and what that term means. Some people will take something as simple as not holding the same opinion on an abstract, non-personal subject and say that's enough to be construed as "beef" on a personal level, while others such as myself would find such a notion to be utterly ridiculous, yet it clearly happens (and quite regularly at that).

Yeah, it'd be complicated. I'd have a much more fleshed out list of things written out before I propose it, some of it probably covering the very issued you're bringing up. Still might be wrong, who knows. I'd have to start working on a set of rules, put it on paper, and feel it out before I decide that sort of thing. 

I don't think anything that treats people differently based on something so subjective and personal as "having beef" should ever be anywhere in any serious rule set though. I would be inclined to immediately disregard any system that does stuff like that. But hey, I'm the guy that also thinks it's a terrible idea to treat RP as a competition (as in when there are actual IC consequences at stake like in a board takeover situation, not just random funsies fights not connected to anything else), no matter how good the rules governing it might be (because there's still going to be emotional investments leading to resentments and bitterness), so meh.

Edited by Robbie Rotten

I'd have much more to say if I already had this written down anywhere. It's just a thought that passed my head, because I think the attitude people bring in to board related conflicts plays a huge part in the quality of the interaction. If you're not getting along like some people don't around the forum, it'd just be safer for me as a judge, or whoever else is judging, to be like, "Nah, you two come back when this is more about story line and less about the clear distaste you have for each other." 

You are right that it'd get difficult to decipher when people hate each other and not, and then to apply that to whether a fight can be hosted between two people is even more complex. Whatever, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. 

Seems to be some debate over this topic
Might as well throw my two (Or more) Cents in!

I've read it over (Aside from the mild powers and character creation only because I'm relatively familiar with such things ^^) And I have to say that I absolutely love this concept; I have Role Played for A long time now and have always loved action based and adventure stories; two individuals going toe to toe and getting to see their skills and way of fighting match up with another, true it can be an 'Dick measuring contest' and I can even say that I have suffered from doing that in the past; But this seems to remove that possibility due to having it's mix of freedoms and ultimately the judges. In any worlds, whether they be our own, fantasies, sci fi, ancient greeks, or everything in between....fighting is going to be involved. It's everywhere; in the animal kingdom and even in our blood so why not enact that in our Role Plays more often? I've seen that most are afraid to try such things out because of those jackasses who try and beat you no matter the cost rather then 'making a story' behind the fight...making it fun, scary, heart-pounding and as realistic as such a place can be! Some of my best fights are the ones I lost, For instance....one of my characters I use in combat A lot is an aggressive vampire count who lost his entire coven to a demon with a 'god' complex. He had been searching for this guy for years...building up rage and focusing all of his power into strength and 'breaking' this asshat and after nearly a century....he found him.
Their fight was emotional let me tell you, imagine seeing the monster that had taken everything from you and was mocking with it? Imagine how angry you would be? Iscariate fought him with everything he had and did quite a number on him but in the end he was denied that satisfaction of killing him and eventhough I so desperately wanted him to win....the story and their skill-sets spoke louder then my desires and so he lost and you know what? It is one of the best fights I ever did solely because of the character banter and the hits back and forth...the story surrounding it and the intensity of fighting in a house they were collapsing themselves. I believe that there can be a fun system where we can pair our characters up and have them kick the shit out of eachother and no matter who wins two things are gained
-An awesome time
-and more development for your character  

Not to mention it is incredibly sad to see character's never lose and thus miss out on powerful lessons and humility they NEED just because their admin has too much pride and ego. 
I believe this is an extremely positive and good system and I would love to be apart of it whether that be a judge or participant or both in hopes to have fun and show others from my actions that it's sometimes okay to lose <3
Although what would help me at least is a character sheet that properly prioritize everything you are looking for; I can safely say this is the first site where I have ever used character sheets since I am more of a 'It's in his exposition' kind of guy rather then hard bullet proof facts but when it comes to tournaments and such it is extremely helpful to know what they can do, what their limits are point by point
Leaves out the possibility of fighting out of the content!
I completely support this @Roen and would love to help in anyway I can!

2 hours ago, Deus Ex Aizen said:

Gotta get this more publicity and backing before we make it an actual thing, m'dear. And even then, it probably wont get off the ground until Spring'ish.

Spring? Four months from now? Way to kill my buzz. And the hype. 

Tag me when this is ready for a watercooler interest check, k?

This is the discussion. I want people to talk about it first. I really want to see criticism, not just interest. I want this to not just be universally accepted, but also palatable. This is still a ways away from rolling out. I need to set up accounts, entreat the administration for support, get the requisite board room, appoint a robust staff, so on and so forth.

okay i read everything and i think it would be difficult for me to understate how impressed i am

In short, I think this is a great idea, the values it espouses addresses every issue I have seen with T1 on Valucre. I really like the emphasis on sportsmanship, roleplaying, and limited, thematic (rather than overpowered and bland) characters. I'll offer to be a judge for it if desired, though I quite understand if I'm not wanted.

8 hours ago, CodieneAngel said:

Spring? Four months from now? Way to kill my buzz. And the hype. 

Tag me when this is ready for a watercooler interest check, k?

No reason why we can't do an exhibition match for lulz. If I make a profile, you want to do one with me? I'm by no means an experienced grader or anything like that, but I looked at yours and it seems reasonable to me. My only question is what does "magical fear" mean under her resistances?