Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Voting has reset for the month of October. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Roen

The Valucre Combat League

Quiz time  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Where has Roen been?

• Working like a dog
    • Having wars in space
    • Preparing for the holidays
    • Screaming obscenities
    • Tearing his bedroom apart and making it fit for sleeping
    • Being lazy
    • All of the above

Well aside from interest and the love for it I can't help but have some criticisms of my own For instance
And this is coming from experience aswell
The amount of 'potential' participants may be too high
I've had to deal with wide scale Rp's that have more then ten people in it and it always ends up being messy unsatisfying and a waste of everyone times because not everyone is up at the same time as everyone else. How do you plan to keep that much in order? The staff and judges are a great idea, but with the amount of threads we will need to have and keep manage of it definitely seems like a dauntirng task and I worry that when it kicks off it will fall apart halfway through because one or several participants haven't posted or otherwise contributed because there schedules differ from ours.
Concern number two
Over the IC fighting, My ultimate issue (Not even with this particular system) Is that if we pair up a mage (that is following the mild powers of course) And a boxer for instance
regardless of the mages limits....I still feel that fight would be extremely one sided. Now the fights are always going to have advantages and disadvantages to it whether the environment being a jungle for an archer flatland for a speedy character...but I still feel having two characters on the completely different spectrum would cause for trouble then interest. Maybe I'm wrong?
Just my two cents!

2 hours ago, Robbie Rotten said:

okay i read everything and i think it would be difficult for me to understate how impressed i am

In short, I think this is a great idea, the values it espouses addresses every issue I have seen with T1 on Valucre. I really like the emphasis on sportsmanship, roleplaying, and limited, thematic (rather than overpowered and bland) characters. I'll offer to be a judge for it if desired, though I quite understand if I'm not wanted.

No reason why we can't do an exhibition match for lulz. If I make a profile, you want to do one with me? I'm by no means an experienced grader or anything like that, but I looked at yours and it seems reasonable to me. My only question is what does "magical fear" mean under her resistances?

I ain't never seen anyone use it, or really any other mind-affecting thing, but it's supposed to refer to spells or powers that make people afraid as like a debuff or to try to get them to run away, or to intimidate them into not attacking. 

I'd be fine with a lulztest! :smile: Sounds like fun!

@FirePenguinDiscoPanda 

You make a good point on both thoughts, but from mild experience with the source of this venture, I have to provide answers that easily dismiss the issues exploited.

Concern One: 10 people....20 people....In this case it doesn't matter. This isn't a 'tournament' per se, it's a league. Like UFC or Western Boxing. One can turn down a match or challenge without simply forfeiting and losing for the entire season. In this instance, people only play with whom and when they are comfortable, like any other play. Also, even if the time zones are an issue for being on at the same time, it doesn't prohibit each player making a minimum of one post per day or two if there are no hiccups along the way anyway. Keep in mind, the seasons are designed to run a several weeks up to a couple months at a time, followed by about a month of judging time and then a heap of down time before the next season. This can and does work on another RP site, it can work here as long as there are interested people that wont flake on it.

Concern Two: I half way agree with you here with no argument. Off titles/class alone, Mages would have an unfair advantage. However, rp is in the realm of fantasy where nearly anything is possible. Semi realism should not staple weaknesses based on a characters title or class alone. I personally have played in an rp tournament where I was playing a human brawler type versus a magical djinn with a sword (Played by YummyBiscuits/BigGayCockatoo), and while he ultimately came out on top, I literally, came close to playing my human to victory without supernatural powers/magic, or weapons. It's possible. On the flip side I must also note, people can sumbit whatever type of character they want. So if one feels that they might face a mage, perhaps they should not enter a character that's a boxer if they're afraid of being the underdog. Remember, a loss here in season goes on your character's fight record, it doesn't mean you don't fight any more that season. And even if one doesn't fight in more than one or a handful of actual 'Heats', they can still fight off the record within the comfort of the league.

Fight rp as a whole is a part of rp to me. People should focus less on the competition aspect and more on the story telling. Like my character would be competitive af sure. But Out of Character wise, I don't really care if I win or lose. 9/10 times, my character learns from their respective losses, and grow into a better fight. Sometimes into a better (or worse) person depending on what the fight was for and what it's out come was. 

The number of participants vs the capacity of staff (judges) is a concern no doubt. This has been quite the issue in the past with there being a dearth of people who are both qualified to judge and who actually want to do the job. However, I don't think there's any real solution to this besides just improving the overall atmosphere of the endeavor, which I think these guidelines would do. A big reason that people don't want to judge is that currently many conflicts become extremely personal and toxic, making it unpleasant to be involved at all, much less in an administrative capacity. If that changes then maybe there would be more people willing to judge and they would be more enthusiastic about it.

As to the IC balance, as long as participants have a positive and cooperative mindset, there shouldn't be any issues of certain types of characters being unbalanced or anything like that.

I completely agree with you! So long as I get enjoyment out of it and my character learns something from it win or lose It is always a success for me. I see your points and yea @Robbie Rotten ultimately that was my biggest concern too was just the fact that I do plenty of Fight Rp's (I blame watching Samurai Jack as a kid) And yet 2/10 of them are fun for me solely because they just want to 'win' rather then tell a story; Winning is amazing and gratifying for your character...but not at the cost of someone else' mood. That was the main reason I was apprehensive about signing up to be a judge but I definitely want to. The season length and breaks in time seem to definitely alleviate that 'stress' over the amount of people and amount of work to be done considering I will always put in my best work so long as I'm not the only one doing it....It's always the worst when your running an uphill battle.
Thanks for the help @ImNoHero! Cleared up some stuff for me, to be fair, you do pose a fair point about us making sure we put in a character that can at least take care of themselves moderately against all sources (Granted weaknesses always make for more 'on-edge' battles) and seeing an underdog when fairly using his skills properly is always a treat other then working on a character sheet to fit the needs of the VCL I'm completely down at both competing in this as well as judging when it kicks off.

37 minutes ago, ImNoHero said:

People should focus less on the competition aspect and more on the story telling

Let them. I'll be there to take away their victories one by one. After all, losing should be fine for them if it's all for storytelling. Winning is my way of storytelling.

1 hour ago, FirePenguinDiscoPanda said:

I completely agree with you! So long as I get enjoyment out of it and my character learns something from it win or lose It is always a success for me. I see your points and yea @Robbie Rotten ultimately that was my biggest concern too was just the fact that I do plenty of Fight Rp's (I blame watching Samurai Jack as a kid) And yet 2/10 of them are fun for me solely because they just want to 'win' rather then tell a story; Winning is amazing and gratifying for your character...but not at the cost of someone else' mood. That was the main reason I was apprehensive about signing up to be a judge but I definitely want to. The season length and breaks in time seem to definitely alleviate that 'stress' over the amount of people and amount of work to be done considering I will always put in my best work so long as I'm not the only one doing it....It's always the worst when your running an uphill battle.
Thanks for the help @ImNoHero! Cleared up some stuff for me, to be fair, you do pose a fair point about us making sure we put in a character that can at least take care of themselves moderately against all sources (Granted weaknesses always make for more 'on-edge' battles) and seeing an underdog when fairly using his skills properly is always a treat other then working on a character sheet to fit the needs of the VCL I'm completely down at both competing in this as well as judging when it kicks off.

playing to win sucks

7 hours ago, SilentMusician said:

Let them. I'll be there to take away their victories one by one. After all, losing should be fine for them if it's all for storytelling. Winning is my way of storytelling.

Why are you always so snarky and nasty to everyone, even when they're not talking to you? :hurt:

20 hours ago, Roen said:

This is the discussion. I want people to talk about it first. I really want to see criticism, not just interest. I want this to not just be universally accepted, but also palatable. This is still a ways away from rolling out. I need to set up accounts, entreat the administration for support, get the requisite board room, appoint a robust staff, so on and so forth.

The only way I'd be able to give you viable feedback, other than the points I've brought up previously, would be to actually use the rules set a few times against a few different players.

So.... Pre season matches, anyone?

Edited by Praetorian

This sounds neat. Like everyone else seems to be saying. Balance seems to be a major sticking point, but something like a 'season zero' where it is understood that a character might be found to be imbalanced after acceptance..... Someone is going to get something under the radar. I think an understanding that they wouldn't get to keep whatever is broken until the end of the season would lessen the intentional attempts at sneaking something in.

Two other thoughts. The no killing rule basically means no executing a defeated opponent right? I noticed it was paired with a rule about not 'letting' your character get killed in order to penalize you opponent. In addition there is a flag rule regarding attacking the audience. This leads me to believe there's likely immediate medical help waiting in the wings post fight. This leads me to think that the fighters have a far greater threshold to damage each other as long as they actually stop when the other can't continue.

With that in mind, the no permanent effects clause refers to shit like incurable Uber poisons or undispellable magical effects right? If my character does something foolish like taking a face full of pocket sand the effects while lessoning as the fight goes on might need an eyewash and possibly some healing magic after the conclusion but it wouldn't be a permanent injury.