Voting has reset for the month of May. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

Woofer

I'm new.

12 posts in this topic

If it wasn't at all evident from my profile, I'm new to this site. However, I'm not exactly new to the roleplaying scene in general, I've got a year or two of roleplaying experience from another site, namely Azurilland (formerly known as Marilland), and due to the site growing to be extremely inactive, I've decided to take a step into another realm.

I'd like to improve my skills as a writer, and I'm told that roleplaying can help with that. Azurilland did me no favors, as it just made me learn how to pick cool looking pokemon gijinka and get lazy about their backstories. Also, it turns out all pokemon happen to be edgy Kirito action hero types, which is another reason why I've stepped away. Yikes. 

I'm not too ashamed to admit that I also roleplay on ROBLOX, because, surprisingly, their roleplaying community is actually quite mature and explores many themes that you'd think would be quite uncommon on a kid's game. Not only did this broaden my range of creativity, it also gave me the pessimistic "your character is stupid kms" view that I'm told I should keep under wraps. Although it makes me somewhat of a jackass and pariah among their community, it also helps me make characters better. As I said before, Azurilland did me no favors by destroying my view of a good character. ROBLOX's community helped me rebuild it.

I do have some questions though.

1: Do certain RPs have requirements for me to start RPing?

2. Is there a certain number of RPs I can be in at a time?

3. I haven't done much exploring, but where can I join roleplays?

Thanks in advance.

Hey! Welcome to the site. Val is a very welcoming and supportive community, and if you have criticisms, most people will be willing to take them constructively. This is a wonderful place to improve your writing, and I look forward to having you with us.

1. Not really. However, role plays here come in three states: Closed, Semi-Closed, and Open. You can join an open role play on a whim, semi-closed requires that you ask before joining, and usually they'll say yes unless they've say, reached the most number of people they wanted to juggle in one thread. Closed is restricted only to its participants.

2. No limit to the number of role plays you can be in at a time, just make sure you can still respond in a timely manner. Usually people don't want to wait more than three days for a reply.

3. Use the Water Cooler for all your role play planning and exploring needs. Edit: It's used to post interest checks and advertisements for role plays, for clarity.

Hope that helps, and I'm more than happy to help with any other questions!

Happy writing.

Edited by Art in Music
supernal likes this

I can't really answer your questions, because I'm fairly knew here too! I actually started roleplaying on roblox! Sometime I wish I could go back, but the few friends I had kinda faded a way. I have come a long way, since then, and Ive enjoyed making this site my new home so far!

I'm getting things figured out and I havemt quite been here a week. I'm sure you will do well if you're already used to the forum-type site. I wish you the best of luck, and if you need to snatch a roleplay with someone feel free to let me know!

supernal, princeben07 and Woofer like this

2 minutes ago, SophisticatedBlurb said:

I can't really answer your questions, because I'm fairly knew here too! I actually started roleplaying on roblox! Sometime I wish I could go back, but the few friends I had kinda faded a way. I have come a long way, since then, and Ive enjoyed making this site my new home so far!

I'm getting things figured out and I havemt quite been here a week. I'm sure you will do well if you're already used to the forum-type site. I wish you the best of luck, and if you need to snatch a roleplay with someone feel free to let me know!

Cheers, mate! There's a new game on the horizon's of the roleplaying scene on ROBLOX. It's called Eternal Moon 3 and most of the roleplayers there are sophisticated and know exactly what they're doing, in case you ever plan a return. Your words are much appreciated, I wish you good roleplaying!

SophisticatedBlurb likes this

Welcome! I hope you find what you're looking for here!

Feel free to bug this big, bad Wolfe anytime!!

Ask questions, take yer time and explore a bit to get comfy!!

Hit me if u want to write sometime. I've close to 1, 890+ Characters in my inventory.

Benny

On 2/8/2017 at 6:16 PM, Woofer said:

If it wasn't at all evident from my profile, I'm new to this site. However, I'm not exactly new to the roleplaying scene in general, I've got a year or two of roleplaying experience from another site, namely Azurilland (formerly known as Marilland), and due to the site growing to be extremely inactive, I've decided to take a step into another realm.

I'd like to improve my skills as a writer, and I'm told that roleplaying can help with that. Azurilland did me no favors, as it just made me learn how to pick cool looking pokemon gijinka and get lazy about their backstories. Also, it turns out all pokemon happen to be edgy Kirito action hero types, which is another reason why I've stepped away. Yikes. 

I'm not too ashamed to admit that I also roleplay on ROBLOX, because, surprisingly, their roleplaying community is actually quite mature and explores many themes that you'd think would be quite uncommon on a kid's game. Not only did this broaden my range of creativity, it also gave me the pessimistic "your character is stupid kms" view that I'm told I should keep under wraps. Although it makes me somewhat of a jackass and pariah among their community, it also helps me make characters better. As I said before, Azurilland did me no favors by destroying my view of a good character. ROBLOX's community helped me rebuild it.

I do have some questions though.

1: Do certain RPs have requirements for me to start RPing?

2. Is there a certain number of RPs I can be in at a time?

3. I haven't done much exploring, but where can I join roleplays?

Thanks in advance.

I recommend taking a look at our get started guide. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to read tha few steps suggested under the relevant section for your situation and is the recommendation I find myself making the most frequently to members new to RP or to Valucre: https://www.valucre.com/lore.html/resources/general/get-started-guide/

As far as improving your writing, countless members have said that Valucre has directly helped to improve on their vocabulary and writing ability, and many find the creative freedom that we allow here very stimulating as well. I wrote a giuide a while ago with some tips on how to improve one's writing overall and just updated/revised it not too long ago. Maybe you'll find it useful: https://www.valucre.com/lore.html/resources/general/forum-writing-tips-and-resources/

At any rate, welcome to Valucre :)

Art in Music likes this

Apologies if this is forum necromancy - however, I am wondering where I can find a 'classes' list. I notice, in the profile database, there's no real list of what you can use as a class, however, there are people who use things like 'blood mage' or 'rogue.' My question is - is there a place to find these or can I simply make one up?

Art in Music and supernal like this

24 minutes ago, Woofer said:

Apologies if this is forum necromancy - however, I am wondering where I can find a 'classes' list. I notice, in the profile database, there's no real list of what you can use as a class, however, there are people who use things like 'blood mage' or 'rogue.' My question is - is there a place to find these or can I simply make one up?

You can make it up. 

1 hour ago, Woofer said:

^ What Supernal said. It you feel a "class" fits you can just call your character that. 

Braweler, Knight, anything

"Class" is just a descriptive category for characters. If you think you have a character who fits the Warlock archtype well, then you could say that's their class, but there's no set, hard RPG system supporting Valucre RP, so there's no need for that kind of thing to be rigidly defined.

Combat does tend to require rules between players, and we have T1 as a default for that, but you can use what ever system you and your fellow writers agree upon.

Edited by Art in Music
supernal likes this