Song Sprite

OOC Quest: A Peace between Nations

This quest is currently CLOSED to new players.

Shadows in Orolindaria                 

Backstory:

The royal couple of Selemath are married, have been for about two hundred years in fact, but their union has thus far been childless, despite their prayers. Recently, Anoria's patience in this matter has worn thin, and she has privately sought the counsel of Lady Mabelinara, who has overseen four generations of the Veldamari royal family.

Much to her dismay, the Keeper of Lore has discovered that Anoria's barrenness is, in fact, the symptom of an ancient disease that affects female Veldamari, milalara ('blue hand'). This disease is highly contagious and has spread to almost every female inhabitant of Selemath; its effects are subtle (difficulty conceiving, a slightly weakened aura, small abnormalities and deficiencies in the circulatory and respiratory systems), which is why it went undetected for so long. It seems to affect only Veldamari Elves; other kin such as the Night Elves seem to be immune. It cannot be cured by any traditional means.

At the same time, the broad leaves of the Holy Tree have begun to yellow and wilt, a sight which has been the cause of no small amount of alarm.

Petty crimes and domestic disturbances have also been on the rise, particularly on the outskirts of Selemath - for the first time ever.

Lady Mabelinara suspects that these events are related, and has begun a serious investigation into these matters.

Spoiler: the tree has, in fact, been cursed by the Kenra, a secretive race of humanoids that lives in the far south of the Orolindaria, near the sea (and the waning of the tree's power is the underlying problem behind the rise of crime and disease in the city built around it). There is a bitter feud between the Veldamari and the Kenra, the historical details of which vary wildly depending on which side is telling the story.

The Kenra are similar in stature and weight to humans, but with some immediately apparent skeletal differences: slightly shorter legs, longer torso and neck, very long arms which hang down to just below the knee, large hands with an extra joint on the three fingers and thumb of each hand, and a unique facial structure featuring large eyes, a smaller, flatter nose than a human, and very high, very broad cheekbones. Their ears are round, like the humans. Most strikingly, they wear no clothing, but their black hair grows in a unique pattern of two long, thick "manes", one covering their head and extending down their back to their tailbone, and one starting beneath the chin and running down the center of the torso to the pelvis. The rest of their skin is relatively hairless. Their manes are often intricately braided.

Brief historical rundown: the Kendra are native to the Orolindaria, and were its first inhabitants. They are not evil, per se, but they are fierce, strange, unpredictable, and quick to violence. When the ancestors of the Veldamari arrived from the lands to the east, the two peoples lived peacefully for a time, but as both sides grew more numerous, territorial disputes broke out, and escalated quickly from isolated acts of violence into a full-scale war. The Veldamari were the victors, and claimed most of the forest for themselves. Soon after, the Holy Tree was discovered, and the city of Selemath was founded around it.

The Holy Tree is, in fact, the physical avatar of a vast, powerful, semi-sentient spiritual being, which exudes an influence of calm, health and goodness throughout the city. The Tree is, in fact, at least partially responsible not only for the health of Selemath's inhabitants, but also for their faithfulness, wisdom and altruism.

One of the key things here is that the Kenra are not evil. For that reason, it will not be as simple as nuking them.

The sporadic ongoing conflict with the Kenra has already been an uncomfortable (and at times hotly debated) issue among the Veldamari. There is no easy solution to it. Over time, the Veldamari have become more gentle and good, but the Kenra's hatred of them has only been solidified by the passing of time. They are not immortals; their lifespan is only about thirty years. Because of this, their sense of identity is deeply communal, and one of the most important aspect of their culture is the heritage of their oral history and 'law' (system of tabboos, traditions and honour), which is passed verbally to each generation with far more accuracy and consistency than one might expect from a culture with no written language.

Interesting sidenote. In the Kenra's ontology, many things are categorized very differently than science would have it. For example: 

In one category, there are included the Kenra, and mature trees, and bodies of clean water. This category, called Kenrar, is also their word for "mother", and is closely related to their langua-culture concept of Enris, which has been translated as "sacred", though that might not be an entirely accurate parse.

In another category, there are small plants, and the animals which eat the small plants.

In another category, there are hunting animals, and humans, and most other sentient creatures

But in yet another category, one which spans salt, desertification, "the longest night", and rotten water: that is where they place the Veldamari. 

aaaanyway xD

The Kenra will no longer parlay with the Veldamari. There's just too much bad blood. For this reason, once it has been discovered that the curse on the tree originated from the south, Queen Anoria will ask for a party of non-Veldamari (probably including at least one centaur) to travel to the Kenra's territory and seek to end the curse - if possible, in such a way that opens the door to more direct future communication and cooperation between the two peoples.

Participants:

Song Sprite (character: Breta Seelson)

KingofGames12 (character: Travis)

ODSTDRAGON (characters: Tobias & Ameli)

Anon (character: Syr)

Trigger2Red (character: June)

Psykotika (characters: Philip & Robert)

sheep (character: the kenra)

Robbie Rotten (character: Morrin)

Edited by Song Sprite

I'm not sure...I'm a little busy but I might have time. However, i'm not sure which character to use. Gregor is a bit ptsd'd at the moment and mystical governments aren't his style. Travis hunter on the other hand would be interested, and he's a natural peacemaker. But he's not magical. He could provide physical defense and talking however.

So, maybe. You do good topics song; could you tell me a bit more about what we'll be doing?

Nonmagical characters are just fine for this one. This isn't going to be a combat-centric quest like the Spire was.

The basic idea is that the leaders of Selemath are going to recruit a group of non-Elven (specifically non-Veldamari) beings to parlay on their behalf with the Kenra. A diverse group will be beneficial, and they are looking for people who are smart, level-headed and able to take care of themselves in a variety of situations.

The basic idea is that the leaders of Selemath are going to recruit a group of non-Elven (specifically non-Veldamari) beings to parlay on their behalf with the Kenra. A diverse group will be beneficial, and they are looking for people who are smart, level-headed and able to take care of themselves in a variety of situations.

See the first post for a full description, Rin.

6 hours ago, Song Sprite said:

See the first post for a full description, Rin.

My character is half elf XD 

Looks like you've got plenty of takers, darlin'. :grin:

I'd be interested, but I have a lot going on IRL at the moment, and none of my available Terrenus characters seem especially suited to diplomacy. Not that I'd normally be adverse to making another, but circumstances being what they are, I may end up on an extended AFV in the next few weeks and would hate to join just to leave you hanging when I'm now aware of such a possibility. 

I'm flattered that you thought of me though! :kiss:

Ah, thanks for the wanting to include me but I feel this might be too complicated for me. I'm sorry. Maybe the next one?