Kalmuli

The Pendulum III: Potions and Pleasantries

Plana giggled as she watched the wolf devour the remnants of breakfast. She sat watching, giggling as it licked it clean and started to get a little antsy. She got up from her spot against the wall.  Plana would moved a little closer, carefully, easing over to put her hands on it's chest, starting to pet and scratch, moving around to scratch along it's back and sides, brushing into it's undercoat and shaking her hands of the giant strands of fluff that came with it.  "Good boy! I'm going to miss you too when you go."She said, moving around to do the other side. "I don't know who we'll give our leftovers to now. Or talk to. I don't talk to too many people...I like animals a little better."

Plana shook her hands out again and kept scratching around. "I guess you like being around people though. Makes sense. Can't really scratch your back without rolling over."She giggled.

It would be a good while just resting about before the big trip. Makiel would be the first to wake up, rolling over just a bit to look at the elf that was laying with him. He was grumbling just a bit. His arms wrapped tightly around Kalmuli while he snuggled up giving a light peck along her neck. "Tell me this is all a dream and that I don't have to wake up.." His chest close against her back wanting to be as close to her as he could be. His heart was heavy not wanting to leave but there was no more stalling if Al was to ask him to go. 

The wolf outside had been playing around and enjoying the attention from the little assistant. Content with his attention he spent more time stretching and running about getting some exercise while waiting for his people to wake up.

Aldorto woke up, his arms still around Ingrid. There was a bit of sorrow for having to leave her but he needed to go. With a light peck on Ingrid's forehead, Aldorto began to get up from the bed trying not to wake Ingrid best he could. It was already going to be rough on the girls when the two would head out, to let them rest some more would be for them to have a bit more strength to take the news. The elf got up, looking to get some water and a bit of food to eat. Something to help tide him and help settle the jitters.

Kalmuli felt warm lips on her neck, making her stir and look over her shoulder to the sleepy human behind her. She smiled, reaching up and ran her fingers through his hair. She opened one eye, looking over to him and rolled over to her other side so she could look at him fully, reaching to his beard. "This is a dream...and you don't have to wake up. We could stay like this for a little while longer."She said, whispering softly to him. "Just stay asleep a little more..."

Upstairs, Ingrid felt the warmth in the bed move away and she stirred from her nap to ease up onto her arm, rubbing her face with a yawn. She looked around, seeing the ward empty. Had Al left already? She perked her ears up, the tips poking out of her hair as she heard movement in the kitchen.  She peeked around the corner, seeing Aldorto rummage around for something to eat. Ingrid smiled, tiptoeing up behind him. 

Makiel groaned as he shifted in the bed before laying back against Kalmuli and resting yet again. It wasn't laziness but content that described his feeling at the moment. It was selfish to want to spend the next month in this bed but after having everything turned upside down so fast and having someone grab his attention so quickly like this, it wasn't hard to not want to leave. But he knew soon enough duty would call and he would have to leave. For now, this was good. Enough to distract him of the goal ahead.

Aldorto was up and about at the sink, trying to wash off his face, hoping the water would help wake him and stave off the weird happenings such as the loss of memory in small fragments or the passing outs. His stomach was lurching, finding food and water was a priority to hopefully calm him down some and level out. The time he spent here was hard to recall. As for the days he had been here and what exactly had happened. So far it had felt like a blur and partially unsure of what really had been going on. It was beginning to become very unnerving. Hopefully food and water would take the edge off. 

The trip ahead was not going to be easy. A lot of hard decision to be made and a lot of old scars were going to come open soon. Keeping a level head was about the best Al could manage to do right now being that everything so far had got feet up. Hearing his uncle was still alive was already a bit strange but to have him summon Al and having things sound as though it was not what he had expected was more and more of a bit of a toss up. There was a lot of haste to find everything out. If his uncle was still alive and if he was looking for Aldorto then things were not on the level. 

His nerves were jittering under the skin as his mind was shaken up about trying to figure out what was going on. It was mostly from disturbed feelings and knowing the man he killed was still alive and so far was not seeking to hunt Al down. Already things were beginning to bother his mind, being that he was passing out and had no solid memory of the last few days he was very afraid of his own mental security. Though something was telling him to get moving. The first step was to eat. His ears never picked up on Ingrid moving, his sole focus was simply on eating and drinking.

Kalmuli lay with Makiel for the longest time, she watching him sleep and relax. In a few hours, she knew that he would have to leave. He would have to go on a dangerous new adventure without her and risk his body for a cause. A body she had claimed as hers many times over. Her hands moved along his frame, gliding along his skin in little tender flits. 

Maybe while he was asleep, she could cast a spell of protection on him...but wouldn't do any good if she wasn't close by.  Instead, the only thing she could pray was that the fates would be wrong this time. 

Ingrid stopped moving in the kitchen, observing Aldorto while he fidgeted and dug around for food. She bit the inside of her lip a moment. No...surprising him right now was not a good idea. Not unless they wanted to be swinging at each other blindly. Ingrid would smile, stretch and make a little noise to let him know that she was there. "Mmmm....I needed a good nap."She smiled as she wandered over to a cupboard, pulling out some glass jars filled with little dried snacks. Ingrid would pull out some dried fruits and jerky, offering it to Aldorto.

"It's not much...but I like salty and sweet foods together. It makes for a good snack."She suggested, slipping a bit of dehydrated apple between her lips to chew on it.  "I think there's sea grape juice in the cold box."

Aldorto could hear Ingrid making noise behind him, she must have woke up to him shifting around. He turned his head backwards to look over at her. "Ahh, Ingrid..sorry if I woke you up. I was hoping I wouldn't disturb your rest." The elf was able to move to take some of the snacks from Ingrid, helping to stave away the shakes. "Thank you. I guess I needed that more then I thought." At the mention of drink, Aldorto moved over to open the cold box and pull out the container of juice then search around for two glasses. 

Aldorto wandered back over to the table and set the pitcher and the glasses down. "Ingrid..." Aldorto was hesitant on speaking but he had to know what had happened the last few days, "..have..have I been acting...funny? I..can't remember nearly anything since I've been here. What's been going on?" His eyes locked onto the elf hoping to get an answer out of her. His mind was not in a good place right now and all he could do was hope someone else knew anything about what was going on. His eyes were of that of the youth that had been the guise of his name. The shell the old wolf was stuck inside. 

The look on his face was that of a worried elf, scared that he was unable to recall his last few days, afraid that his mind was not his own. As it stood, Aldorto barely was able to recognize that Makiel was here or the names of anyone working here. Most his time had been a blur, he was afraid of what had transpired since he had gotten here. His hands were a bit shaky as he took more of the food that was offered. Right now all he could think of was what was wrong with his mind the last few days and if he had been dreaming it all.

Ingrid sat down, pouring herself a glass of juice and sat back to relax a bit. She raised a brow at his question, then furrowed them. The younger Aldorto really did have the short end of the stick in terms of sharing a body. She would smile, folding her arms on the table. "You've been a little out of it lately. I think it might just be exhaustion. You've been helping us out at the shop and maybe overworked yourself a bit."She answered.

Though, it was more for his sanity than anything. If he really knew what was going on, it would probably send him into a panic. "I would rest a little bit more and try to eat. You've probably burnt up so much energy that you're feeling off."She said, opening up the snack jar and pulling out a few pieces of dried food in front of him, then herself. "Make sure you eat and drink something. If you'd like, I can make you something a little bit more filling? I'm sure we have lots of options."

Ingrid would get back up from the table, moving over to his side to put her hand on his forehead. "You feel a little clammy...I'll make you a good soup."She said, stepping away to get to work.

'Overworked' though he didn't think it was like that, he couldn't deny that he was exhausted. Afterall, Ingrid was a healer so her opinion on the matter made more sense. "Huh..I guess so..Everything just feels hazy..like I haven't been here or something. Makiel is really hear right? I didn't just imagine that?" The elf took more to eat as it was offered. Food was helping more to fight away the shakes, as was talking about what was going on. When he had ate enough to be stable, Aldorto took the pitcher to pour himself a glass. The juice went down easy, even helped make him feel 'lighter'. Perhaps she was right, rest and food was probably for the best. It made the old wolf stop and remember that he needed to stop forcing his way out. Though his son was in danger, this host was no good sick or weak. If things had to be extended by a few days then he had no choice.

"I guess part of it could be being out here. Going to a new world might be a bit overwhelming. I've been having a few dreams too that are a bit startling. I can only imagine it's from the exhaustion." Aldorto was piecing things together slowly, his mind bridging gaps that didn't make a lot of sense but all he had to go on. "I would not say no to soup, it might help to have fluids and food to help even me out some more." It would take a good amount of time, but the elf would manage to piece things together and get a handle on what was going on.

Ingrid nodded as she pulled out a big soup pot, setting it on the stove. She rummaged around some more for some meat, vegetables and a jug of meat stock to cook it all in. All in all, it looked like it was going to be a hearty stew. "Yes, he's resting downstairs right now with Kalmuli. The owner of this place."She said, making sure to help fill in any memory gaps. She started working on cutting up the ingredients, making light work of it and added the stock. From one of her hip pouches, Ingrid fumbled around and pulled out a small sack of herbs, adding it to the stew. It would be a good help with stamina and energy for the mean time.

"It happens...plus, I can imagine you've been traveling around a lot too."She said with a shrug, grabbing a big wooden spoon to start to combine all the ingredients together while the pot was at a boil. "If you keep going without taking care of your personal needs, you can go into such an exhausted state you'll pass out."She said, tapping the spoon on the side and going back to the table to sit with him a little while longer. This time, at his side so she could rub his back ."Rest easy for now...and I'll make sure when you go back on the road you'll have plenty of snacks."

The smell of the stew was hitting his nose and it lifted his spirits more, making him shiver throughout his body. "Kalmuli..silver haired elf? I..think I remember her..I had..a dream..with her in it..huh.." Things were a haze still, some of the things that had happened he was sure did not happen. Even if they felt so real. 

"I feel a bit tired...I think I might have overdone it quite a bit if I'm this tired. What have I been doing the last few days?" The back rubbing was doing very well to help him out. The connection to another human being helped him have a connection to help the slightly foggy feeling he was experiencing. "Thank you..everything feels so weird right now. There's like a gap in moments of my memory since being here. Certain dreams I've had that felt real. I think the transfer from home to here has put a strain on my mind. I think you might be right, rest should be good for me."

The smell of the soup filling his nostrils was such a wonderful feeling that it was rejuvenating to his body. Along with Ingrid's rubbing, Aldorto was shivering again, feeling his body warm up, feeling a bit better overall. 

Ingrid nodded, confirming his identity check. "Yes. I'm not surprised. If she's worked you pretty hard, you'd have dreams about her."She said with a little chuckle. "You've helped a lot with doing a lot of potion making, heavy lifting...gardening. You've had a busy couple of days."

Ingrid continued to rub his back and raised her head to check on the stew, mostly looking for any over bubbling and steaming. She settled back down and rubbed his shoulders a little more. "They say time flies when you're having fun...I think you've just had such a good time doing it, it feels like a few days have past in an instant."She said with a modest shrug.

She knew what it felt like. To have hours go missing. Days. Lian had a habit of doing what the older Aldorto did and went gallivanting with a body that wasn't aware it was happening. A sympathy she shared and a soreness she knew. Ingrid could feel him warming up under her hand, smiling and getting up to go stir the stew. "You'll feel better with something hot in your stomach and some time to catch up on some sleep."She said, patting his shoulder and going over to the stove to stir things around a little more, adding a bit more seasoning after a taste. "My soups are said to raise the dead...or at least, someone with a bad cold."

Aldorto was groaning feeling more rubs along his back. He was still half awake while Ingrid was rubbing along his back. "Hot food and rest..yeah..that should do me over good.  I think you might be right..I feel..weak? That's the best way to describe it. Like my body is just not able to find strength. I'm going to have to wait some time here before leaving out to my uncle at this rate." 

The elf was weary, his eyes felt heavy as if he had just woke up from a hangover. "I guess some rest and just taking things light would help me out." Aldorto leaned forwards resting his head on the table. "A bit weaker then I thought.."

Ingrid grew a little more worried. The effect of the older Aldorto coming out was draining and wearing him down more. The soup would be done soon but she went back to his side and knelt down to look at him. "Why don't we get you comfortable in the ward? I'll bring you some soup once you've taken a little nap."She said, rising back up and taking him by the arm to help pull him to his feet. 

"Then after some soup, another nap until you feel like you're caught up."She said, holding onto his side. "I'll wake you up when Makiel is up and around."

Aldorto took a moment before accepting Ingrid's request to pull him up to his feet. His movements were still a bit slow, there was a huge drain onto his body from all the ins and outs of being pulled back and forth to consciousness. "I appreciate that Ingrid. I should be fine after some rest and some soup. I..think I'll just take it easy for now." Aldorto moved slowly with Ingrid until he was finally sitting on the bed in the ward.  His eyes heavy, his head held low, the elf was drained. Once he sat down he sank into the bed. 

There was a faint sound that resonated for a moment from the kitchen, the sound of something tearing along with an intense magic signature that lasted for a brief moment. The gambler, impatient and now a touch annoyed had made his appearance again. There was a vial he produced, popped the cork off and emptied it's contents into the pot. His form was pure demonic influence. From his tail to his twisted horns and red runes adorning his face. On his entrance Salvine did not even bother to mask his presence, setting off the runes in place that would be disturbed of his uninvited visit. This meant two things, first, his presence was made known, second, he would not be able to 'poof' out instantly. Fighting past the runes in place was enough of a task that it left him unable to preform another spell for quite a time. 

The vial that was introduced into the soup was a pick me up, something he dared not use much of being that it was not the easiest thing to get his hands on. It was a mixture of ground unicorn horn, Arch-demon tooth, a feather of a phoenix, and lastly a griffon's talon dipped in it's blood. Rare being that it took time more then anything else. Getting the ingredients was not as hard as waiting the years it took to distill the thing itself. It was a sigh that came from Salvine's lips, a sigh that yet again Aldorto was costing him so much. An investment that came to positive returns over and over again, however the cost was always something that was pricey.

Once the deed was done, the demonic appearing gamble stood for a moment contemplating what was on the line if things went south. The real cost of failure was far greater then he ever let on. The only reason he'd involved the Ardesians yet again was because he trusted them with things like this. The Brotherhood that Aldorto reined over was reliable to a fault when it came to Salvine's interests. With his long thin tail swishing around his boots, Salvine waited until he had access to cast anything yet again. His ears making sure he could hear when Ingrid would get back up to start moving again or if there was movement at all. He was betting on no one coming to check on things, however he was completely aware that he had slipped past the runes in place that disallowed travel. After a moment, Salvine would slip out of the room best he could and find his way out back with the great wolf. All that came down now was waiting out time until he could move from this place again.

Ingrid would help Aldorto into the ward, helping to ease him on the bed. Once he was sitting, she scooped up his legs to help him lie down. As an extra step, she grabbed some extra quilts, folding them and stacking them to raise his feet a little. She smiled, covering him up so he was nice and toasty, rubbing his side until she was sure that he was asleep.

As she got up, she felt something odd around them. A sense of unease. Ingrid brought a hand to her chest as she sussed it out and slowly started to walk to the kitchen. She heard a soft sigh, her footsteps stopping. Someone was in the kitchen. A male. Ingrid used the same quiet feet to investigate what was going on. Peeking around the corner, she had seen a glimpse of Salvine right before he snuck out the back door. 

However, there was someone else out there with him that was taking care of the big wolf. Plana. "Who are you?"She asked, sticking closer to the wolf. 

Hearing Plana ask that from inside confirmed Ingrid's worries. She would go into the kitchen, walking to the back door and stepping out with her arms crossed, looking at Salvine with a angry and disappointed look. "You messed with my soup...you better explain what you did or I'll dump the whole thing and start over."She warned him but kept her voice low.