Kalmuli

The Pendulum III: Potions and Pleasantries

Plana stayed by the wolf, keeping her eyes on Salvine most of the time. For a while, she was entranced by the magic he did. Magic she wasn't strong enough to perform. She was very quiet, mouse-like in the silence that was between them and kept her hands calmly on the Yarakul not just for company but to keep it from ripping him apart. So long as Plana stayed where she was, they wouldn't move. "How do you do that?"She asked him, standing in front of the big wolf's leg now but leaned against it. 

"Is it air magic? Fire magic?"She asked. All innocent questions for a young mage in training. Salvine was someone who knew a lot about magic...just like Master Kalmuli and Ingrid...but the way he was using it wasn't in the best way. The way Ingrid acted around it, it looked questionable. "I'm still learning...air magic that is. Not very good at it yet..."

Salvine continued to spool the smoke more into a ball while he was sitting there taking puffs of his cigar from time to time. He looked over to Plana as she spoke up, curious of his manipulation. "Neither. This is raw arcane fluctuation manipulation...That's not something you learned before is it..well...shit..lemme think..Have you learned how to manipulate the wind yet? Even in small proportions?" The gambler continued to spin the smoke around more, hoping to clench it it down into something else, however he looked over to Plana and instead decided to try and teach her something. 

"You're afraid of me aren't you?" Salvine was looking back towards the ground, not paying attention while he was manipulating the particles of the smoke to spin around by raw arcane force. "You are smart to be cautious, I assume your teachers warn against demons. Tell me child, what do they say about angels?" His focus was still on the past, things had begun to shift around like the smoke, annoying him greatly to the point he was holding conversation with a child.

Plana nodded to his questions. "Yes...I can use it to knock things over and blow out candles...but nothing special like making smoke balls."She said, looking at the ball he played with with more interest. She would ask Ingrid what it was later on or try to read on it herself.  His next question had Plana look down a little and then back up. Now that Salvine looked a little more normal, she was less afraid and talking about magic gave them something in common.

"Yes...and no...When you were angry yes...but looking at you now...you don't look angry. You look lonely...and kind of tired. Like you haven't slept for a long time."Plana said, not really having a filter about saying what she thought. She would ease down, sitting by the wolf's feet. "Angels are just demons that look a little softer...that's what Master Kalmuli says at least. It's all about how the actions look. Angels like to do good things...but sometimes they don't always have a good end. Demons do things...I guess...more like business men? Shop keepers? She said that they know everything has a cost."

Salvine snuffed out his cigar on the skin of his arm forming the smoke ball after one last puff of smoke. His face turned into an awkward smirk from her answer. She was right. "Your master is a smart woman. You, you are a smart child." His eyes shifted over to display the red and yellow colors of his tainted blood. The runes on his face shined brighter as were hints of angelic and demonic auras from him. "I'm a tired man...things...have not been great...there's too much to know where to begin young one..you aren't qualified to hear any of this either." The ball of smoke started to take a mis-matched shaped as the gambler took some heartache back on.

"Angels are just like demons..hehe...do not ever forget that and there shall be a long life and many opportunities down your life if you keep your mind like that. Do not ever let the appearance of someone dictate what you believe of them child." It had taken a moment to get the smoke ball back in control. With a little work Salvine had managed to begin to compress the ball, forcing the particles of the smoke to become a little ball of hardened particles that was no larger then a quarter. When it was finished he tossed it over to Plana. "Catch. Study that, and tell me how I was able to make the particles spin like that." His eyes looked up watching Plana as she would try to figure it out.

Plana smiled a little bit at his compliment...though coming from a demon, she was unsure how to take it. She noticed that the ball looked a little odd now as he started to speak more honestly. She knew that feeling at least. "I know when things aren't great too...I lived in a basement for a long time. Hiding from some very bad people..."She said, flinching when he through the ball but reached out to catch it. 

The ball was warm in her hand, Plana looked down at the small orb and then looked back up to him. She looked at it carefully...but in the end, it was just a ball that used to look like a ball of smoke. "I...don't know yet..."She said honestly. Plana was far behind in her studies as is. "It kind of looks like when you use a really fine net with tiny, tiny holes that catch small things and makes it solid. Like dust."She shrugged, sitting with it in her hand and poking at it.

Salvine sat back again, taking his cigar and lighting it back up getting it ready for another puff. "It looks simple doesn't it? Like one would say about pottery. Simple and beautiful. Keep it. Play around with air magics and fire magics with it. When you learn how to put air into things, try it with the ball. Once you have learned how to do that and you have learned how to add more ash to it, speak with your master about contacting me. I shall tell you more about what that little ball is and why it's important. Who knows, I might even see something wonderful come from you and that little ball." 

Salvine left the conversation at that. He took another puff from his cigar and remained quiet for a few more moments only to pipe up when the silence grew awkward. "My condolences about your parents. You are young, it had to be rough. If they were to know you have became a start up mage I would say they would be glad to know how far you have come." The runes had already stared to fade on the right side of his face and were being replaced by faint yellow runes. His right eye had already taken the yellow tint as it overtook the red while he was sitting there smoking to relax again. 

Plana looked at the small gift in her hand. She had never really received a gift like this before. This little ball was important and if she wanted to be great one day. She would keep it to heart, nodding. "I'll try. "She said, looking up to him with a hopeful smile. Plana would pocket the small ball, keeping it there so she could look at it later. She drew her knees up, still watching Salvine while he continued puffing on his cigar.

"Pops would have wanted me to be a butcher like he was...but...I'm too young to have a shop now. Later I finish school."She said with a nod. Plana set her chin on top of her knees. "The words on your face...Do they mean that you're feeling better?"

Salvine sat back content for the moment looking back over to the little girl while she spoke again. The look and tone she bore was like she'd never received a gift like that before. a butcher was not too far fetched though it would be a waste of talent..at least from what he knew anyways. Salvine sat quietly for a moment taking in another puff and beginning another ball of smoke before he talked to Plana again.

"These words on my face are a curse I must live with. It depicts which blood stands more prominent..in a way it depicts my current mood. In easy terms, I am doing a bit better kid." The smoke ball was very small for now and the particles were being spun around in a strange ball of empty air around the size of his palm. "I might tell you about it once you are able to handle to world. Innocence to certain topics are best to keep before you can handle them." 

It was getting a bit awkward now talking to the child about things, he had to hold back a lot as to not speak out of turn. "Who takes care of you kid?"

Plana tilted her head and managed a small smile. If he was feeling calm and much better, that was good. Plana would get up from her spot, looking back up to the wolf and giving it a little pat. Slowly she would approach Salvine, but she kept herself out of arm's reach but still in a spot where the wolf would be fast enough to help. "Whoever is here...usually older students. I take care of myself most of the time when I'm alone. I just sell the potions until someone comes to do big healing stuff."She admitted. "At least you're feeling better though...Thank you for the ball. I'll study so the next time I see you I can do something really neat with it."

Inside the shop, there was a sputtering sound from the kitchen. Ingrid had tried the potion'd stew but found the taste terrible with it in it. "Ugh! Salvine!"She shouted back out. "You could have used beef stock in it!"