supernal

Valucre's laws of magic

I'll keep this brief. 

In short I worked out a magic system for Terrenus that would give it a sense of cohesion while still allowing members to port in or create their own systems. Like the artifacts, preferential treatment is given to any act that observes the canon system but that doesn't mean you should feel limited to only observing these laws/theorems. 

I presented the system to the rest of the board leaders for universal adoption. We had some back and forth discussions that resulted in removing some of the more Terrenus specific explanations and principles and ended up with something we're all happy with and hope you will be too. The laws are general and open-ended by design, but I think should add that sense of cohesion and give new members a bit of a firmer footing and international consistency when it comes to navigating anything magical. 

Open to hearing any thoughts or feedback. You can find it under the Magic and Technology section of the Overview page: 

5 hours ago, supernal said:

I'll keep this brief. 

In short I worked out a magic system for Terrenus that would give it a sense of cohesion while still allowing members to port in or create their own systems. Like the artifacts, preferential treatment is given to any act that observes the canon system but that doesn't mean you should feel limited to only observing these laws/theorems. 

I presented the system to the rest of the board leaders for universal adoption. We had some back and forth discussions that resulted in removing some of the more Terrenus specific explanations and principles and ended up with something we're all happy with and hope you will be too. The laws are general and open-ended by design, but I think should add that sense of cohesion and give new members a bit of a firmer footing and international consistency when it comes to navigating anything magical. 

Open to hearing any thoughts or feedback. You can find it under the Magic and Technology section of the Overview page: 

Would it be fair to assume that this thread is the appropriate place for such welcomed discussion/thought? 

If not, would you mind providing a space that would be? 

Either way, I've got some initial thoughts that I'd be happy to fiddle into place! >~< (As an amusing anecdote, it's been a long enough time away from my bluetooth keyboard that I've forgotten how to appropriately hit the tilde key!)

20 minutes ago, Fae said:

Would it be fair to assume that this thread is the appropriate place for such welcomed discussion/thought? 

If not, would you mind providing a space that would be? 

Either way, I've got some initial thoughts that I'd be happy to fiddle into place! >~< (As an amusing anecdote, it's been a long enough time away from my bluetooth keyboard that I've forgotten how to appropriately hit the tilde key!)

This would be the place!

As a note, any additional laws would be handled at the board level first and then if everyone ends up using it, it would get adopted into the universal system. So for example, Terrenus has its own "law of origin" for magic where one isn't listed for the universal system

Is Geomancy considered magic? How would you describe its common use as being subject to the Law of Equivalent Exchange?

Edit: Or, thinking of how people's houses are often made from Geomancy, the Law of Chaos?

Edited by Charli Foxtrot

11 minutes ago, Charli Foxtrot said:

Is Geomancy considered magic? How would you describe its common use as being subject to the Law of Equivalent Exchange?

Edit: Or, thinking of how people's houses are often made from Geomancy, the Law of Chaos?

For a more detailed Terrenus specific response, since both laws are in the magic system there as well, I suggest asking me in the AMA so I don't end up "hijacking" the thread with Terrenus specific responses 

But in short by the universal standard I would consider acts of geomancy a magical discipline on the order of some elemental magic, one fueled by either internal energy ("mana", or equivalent) or the use of an external system (ley-lines are an example of one used before, depending on the creature maybe even solar energy). 

For the law of chaos for geomancy created infrastructure I'd contrast that against the law of inertia. The houses aren't continually maintained via geomancy but created by it and as an "element", earth is more stable than fire. I wouldn't need to "pour energy" into a fire I start in a dry forest, it would conflagrate naturally. Once it runs out of fuel the fire goes out or I find another source to maintain it. The act of using geomancy would demand a cost, but once the structure is built it doesn't require a constant source to continue to be a structure (unless it's built that way, like a magical castle that crumbles once the boss is defeated). It would also then be subject to natural laws (gravity, erosion, so on).

My thoughts on it anyway!

Edited by supernal