Voting has reset for the month of March. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

GamerXZ

Question About My Character

11 posts in this topic

I'd like to ask someone to take a look at my character's list of powers and abilities and possibly confirm if they're too powerful and maybe some ways to scale them down and maybe some weaknesses to help even the playing field. Would any of you be willing to look over my sheet, please? 

I hope you don't mind my comments on this.

Superhuman Strength: Shyna has immense physical strength, enough to lift and toss around the average-sized boulder with minimal
effort, toss cars, smash through a two-foot steel door, rip chunks of concrete out of the sides of buildings, knock a power-armored
equipped human across a room, and so on. She has even been shown to deflect some laser weapons with a swing from her gauntlet-clad arm.

Average strength of an NPC in Terrenus is going to be Olympian in nature. This is before buffs. If you're talking just raw strength being able to toss a ton of weight, that might be a bit too much without ramp up time. Far above normal.

Enhanced Mobility: Shyna's speed and agility is leagues greater than a human's. At full speed, she is capable of outrunning your average vehicle, scaling the sides of buildings just by running up them, and is nimble enough to pull off flips and rolls with little effort, even in mid-air. Her jumping ability is great enough that she can leap to the top of an two-story house in a single bound.

Once again, what is an average vehicle? If you have an idea of her actual speed, list it. Don't be vague to this extent. If you're saying she can outrace a modern car consistently that means she's doing over 120 mp/h. The agility isn't an issue really. Far above normal in terms of speed.

Enhanced Endurance: Despite her appearance, Shyna is remarkably durable, much more than a human, as she can survive falls from any height without damage and survive being hit and run over by an truck with no real signs of injury. Attacks that would normally cripple or break a human's bones she can walk off with little effort. Even being punched through a building does little more than put some scuff marks on her.

Any height? So she can survive terminal velocity falls?
giphy.gif
Run over by a truck? What kind of truck? How fast was it going? Is she taking a 90 mp/h 18 wheeler to the face? Is this with buffs, or just raw durability? Far above normal.

Regeneration: Shyna's body also has a powerful healing factor, as she has been shown capable of healing from nearly any injury if
given enough time to recover. Large-calibre bullets heal within seconds, as do stab wounds and shrapnel from an powerful explosive does little more than annoy her. Even blasting her with fire doesn't do much besides slow her down. Destruction of her limbs is possible but she will heal even from this within minutes. The only thing that stops her even temporarily is being shot in the head or destroying one of her vital organs.

In T1, regeneration takes time and turns. It isn't a passive effect that can be given. Regeneration alone can be a major power for any character, for you it is merely a footnote under a slew of other powers. Far above normal.

Immortality: Being an fusion of a human and an intelligent device, Shyna can exist within the physical realm while still retaining all the
benefits of her data self. This means she will never know aging or death by natural causes. Also, thanks to a mix of her endurance and regeneration, it is VERY difficult to keep her down for any period of time.

Most characters have some means of sticking around far longer than a normal mortal. Though this does bring up questions since she isn't a pure human, if spells/buffs/debuffs that are targeted on a 'human' would fail on her. It'd be a double edged sword. Pretty normal, not counting the endurance/regeneration.

Mana Manipulation: Shyna's magical girl self is capable of wielding an incredible amount of magical power, and James creativity allows them to be highly proficient in its use. Being able to conjure barriers, shoot sprays of mana bullets, blast waves, beams of energy, create various constructs, further enhance combat capabilities, animate golems, create clones, and more. Their main magic art, "Purification" is very dangerous as although it  can be used to heal almost anything, taken to its logical extreme, it can "purify" something to a pristine state of nothingness. However, this application is incredibly draining and due to James own moral code, he/she avoids using this unless left with no other option. 

Far too much. Unfocused. You already have massive physical capabilities, and now you're going to throw in magic as well. You aren't specialized either. You're doing a little of everything.

Shapeshifting: The form Shyna is typically seen in is simply a form she is comfortable with. Due to this, she can assume other forms,

grow wings for flight, transform her limbs into massive gauntlets and a number of other things that make her all the more dangerous.
All this makes you wonder just who or what would create a program and device with such potential for destruction...

Once again, another feature that would normally be a main stay for a single character. You have this as a footnote. Your character currently is capable of answering every need a plot would have on her own. She has magic, she has the ability to do stealth while changing her form to suit any environment, and her raw physicals are far beyond anything in the realm.

Dimension Travel: Shyna is capable of opening gates to other dimensions. She mainly uses this as part of her hunting jobs but will sometimes use it to access items she may need.

Unnecessary ability. What happens in Valucre stay in Valucre. People don't shift dimensions here.

Weaknesses: Despite her incredible power, Shyna is still vulnerable on some level. Infecting her with a type of "corrupt mana" can weaken her for a short while, allowing for possible containment. Also, forcing her to use the full power of her "Purfication" ability, especially on a large area, will leave her very drained and vulnerable for some time. A powerful enough attack is capable of possibly incapacitating her long enough to be captured, but despite this she is still VERY dangerous...

Her weakness is something that would require massive amounts of meta knowledge as well as a specialized ability to create. This isn't a weakness. No one would ever have a reason to know that this was her weakness, or even have the ability to utilize this dubiously titled 'corrupt mana.'

With all of that said, your character is too powerful and too unfocused. You should design a character based on the goal of not being able to complete a task on your own. The less that your character can accomplish alone, the more interactions that you will have to write with other characters. Your character does not need anyone. She is beyond the strength level of the realm, and any one of her powers would be enough for a single character to already be closer to the upper edge of Mild Powers [assuming the progression of the strength was handled properly.] You need to do massive retooling for the character in order for it to fit in threads and story lines effectively. If you had to sum up your character in a single sentence without omitting abilities, you wouldn't be able to do so.

Keep it simple. View things through archetypes and classes.

Edited by Ran Iji
GamerXZ likes this

8 minutes ago, Ran Iji said:

I hope you don't mind my comments on this.

Average strength of an NPC in Terrenus is going to be Olympian in nature. This is before buffs. If you're talking just raw strength being able to toss a ton of weight, that might be a bit too much without ramp up time. Far above normal.

Once again, what is an average vehicle? If you have an idea of her actual speed, list it. Don't be vague to this extent. If you're saying she can outrace a modern car consistently that means she's doing over 120 mp/h. The agility isn't an issue really. Far above normal in terms of speed.

Any height? So she can survive terminal velocity falls?
giphy.gif
Run over by a truck? What kind of truck? How fast was it going? Is she taking a 90 mp/h 18 wheeler to the face? Is this with buffs, or just raw durability? Far above normal.

In T1, regeneration takes time and turns. It isn't a passive effect that can be given. Regeneration alone can be a major power for any character, for you it is merely a footnote under a slew of other powers. Far above normal.

Most characters have some means of sticking around far longer than a normal mortal. Though this does bring up questions since she isn't a pure human, if spells/buffs/debuffs that are targeted on a 'human' would fail on her. It'd be a double edged sword. Pretty normal, not counting the endurance/regeneration.

Far too much. Unfocused. You already have massive physical capabilities, and now you're going to throw in magic as well. You aren't specialized either. You're doing a little of everything.

Once again, another feature that would normally be a main stay for a single character. You have this as a footnote. Your character currently is capable of answering every need a plot would have on her own. She has magic, she has the ability to do stealth while changing her form to suit any environment, and her raw physicals are far beyond anything in the realm.

Unnecessary ability. What happens in Valucre stay in Valucre. People don't shift dimensions here.

Her weakness is something that would require massive amounts of meta knowledge as well as a specialized ability to create. This isn't a weakness. No one would ever have a reason to know that this was her weakness, or even have the ability to utilize this dubiously titled 'corrupt mana.'

With all of that said, your character is too powerful and too unfocused. You should design a character based on the goal of not being able to complete a task on your own. The less that your character can accomplish alone, the more interactions that you will have to write with other characters. Your character does not need anyone. She is beyond the strength level of the realm, and any one of her powers would be enough for a single character to already be closer to the upper edge of Mild Powers [assuming the progression of the strength was handled properly.] You need to do massive retooling for the character in order for it to fit in threads and story lines effectively. If you had to sum up your character in a single sentence without omitting abilities, you wouldn't be able to do so.

Keep it simple. View things through archetypes and classes.

Yeah, had a feeling this would be considered too powerful. I do have an idea for another character who's a bit more, well, realistic in terms of capabilities and stuff that I could write up XD

The more focused a character is in a task, the better they should be. The more tools they have, the weaker they should be in each individual aspect due to lack of time, training, and effort. You don't want your character to look like a novelty Swiss Army Knife.

Nz9ifDr.jpg

7 minutes ago, Ran Iji said:

The more focused a character is in a task, the better they should be. The more tools they have, the weaker they should be in each individual aspect due to lack of time, training, and effort. You don't want your character to look like a novelty Swiss Army Knife.

Nz9ifDr.jpg

Well, Valucre allows almost any type of character and I did have ideas for two, one of which is a plant-themed superhero I have on another RP site.

It does allow for characters, but that is due to our desire to not police character creation. Players are ultimately free to play with who they want to, but your ability to impact the Lore/progression of stories affiliated with quests would be massively negated with such a character. Though you have the freedom to make characters, players will self police those that they write with in an effort to make sure that their threads are able to be approved for the canonization process. The administration process will never comb through character sheets in order to alert players, since the amount that are generated weekly is rather daunting. Instead, it's best to allow players the ability to do what they want, while having displayed the limits and style of play through the various guides on the website. There is of course the Alternative section which is free game for any style of play.

As a general rule of thumb, the more your character can do, the less people have a reason to write with you. This isn't just due to the desire to have a quality thread, but because your character will have less of a need for someone else.

Puranetto Ueivuzu likes this

if i can poke in

im going to say it bluntly but know im trying to be the nicest i can

if i was in a thread with this character i would be so, so annoyedl

Akiris likes this

I'm going to admit, that regeneration seems a bit too much. Take my main OC example, she can regenerate small wounds like cuts in under a day but deep wounds take up to 2 - 3 days or a week. I suggest tone it down a bit. Nobody is going want to fight a character that regens in minutes. 

She's also extremely durable and all but can only take so much damage. She's not bulletproof at all.

Sure my oc is strong and all but she's a really bad at combat.

Just some advice. May wanna tone a few things down.

Puranetto Ueivuzu likes this

You  have far too many strengths, and not enough weaknesses. Your character's regeneration ability is absurd given her many other strengths. Regaining a limb is acceptable on the surface, but within minutes of losing it is ridiculous. Your weakness is, as Ran said, not anything anyone could know, and thus is rendered obsolete. I would take Metty's advice and tone things down - way down. I myself play the avatar of a god, and he would not be capable of taking on your character (not to mention, I tone him down even further when he's outside a certain range of his homeland).

It is true you are allowed any type of character, but if you want partners, you will have to accept that you have to give yourself boundaries. "I can do everything except blow up a universe" is not s sufficient boundary, if you get my meaning. Your character's main problem is she (he?) can do just about everything. This works against you as quests and storylines would be boring as they would provide no challenge: enemies and obstacles would just completely roll over before you, and believe me, that gets really old very fast.

Metty and Puranetto Ueivuzu like this

Gonna be rude. And sound like every other response.

Laundry list of powers here. Mostly significant ones.

My suggestions?

- Making a character from scratch is often easier than trying to port one over. This Is what I did with Akiris (My Valucre OC).

- Consider if you really NEED all the safety net powers. While they might be necessary to fight characters with a similar laundry list of powers, Valucre's mild powers standard characters often don't warrant the same safety net.

- Unintentional weaknesses are a thing. Anyone willing to do some reading is going to be able to punish some of those powers hard. But note that just because they can, doesn't mean they should have to.

- Read quest descriptions and think about if (X amount - the suggested amount) of that character could complete the quest with some difficulty. If your character could solo a quest that requires a minimum of five... then it's too strong.