Voting has reset for the month of March. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Welcome to Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

Galen Wolfe

Linked [QUEST] Where the Bloody Hell?

30 posts in this topic

Galen's formulated retort was interrupted by a well aimed pillow that actually jammed in his jaw that had just opened to speak. He sat there like that for a moment before he carefully removed the pillow, and then began to chase down the lizard who knew exactly what was coming and now was trying to escape him. Unfortunately he had been sitting in the only escape from the closet like space that her bed occupied and he was very careful not to let her get past him as he hemmed her in to one corner. Sitting with his legs straight out in front of him, he dragged the squirming and struggling white scaled body to lay belly down across them. The first smack elicited a startled squeal from her lips, and each consecutive swatting of his hand was greeted by another fresh squirm and crying out.

When he relented, her rump was a nice bright pink to match her flushed features, which he admired before kissing her deeply again, which melted her indignation, her body slowly going limp and enjoying the apology he was giving her. When he pulled back, she was slightly breathless and failing entirely to glower up at him for the abuse she'd just suffered. “You know full well I didn't want to wake you, being an old wo...” another pillow filled his mouth, and he had to marvel at her accuracy as well as her speed in doing this. He thought about his revenge, though, and suddenly the feisty left her as she scrambled to try and protect her already tender rear.

He laughed aloud, as the thought had been only in his imagination, not intending to follow up with it, and, when she realized this, her demeanor was one of complete shock followed by the serious need to seek revenge, that melted into helpless giggles as she lay there. “I can't believe you actually used my own ability against me.”

You'll find I'm full of surprises as we get to know one another better,” he said as a tease, but was startled by her sudden stillness and the look of shock that filled her features.

You really mean that, don't you?” her voice held a note of incredulity that said she was serious about the question.

Of course I do... why wouldn't I?”

Because... no one's ever... stayed with me, at least, not for longer than it took to bed me and then be bored.”

Galen didn't bother to say what he thought of that sentence, knowing full well she could sense that retort as it formed. Instead, he simply dragged the shocked and lightly struggling woman into his arms and simply held her against the warmth of his furred body, allowing her to feel the full extent of his and Aku's emotions and attachment that had formed in their short span together. Aku even knew that the woman had formed and what type of bond it was between them and there was no ill will from either about this. They understood the intention behind this, and knew that it would only deepen their connections the more intimately they got to know one another. They welcomed this from the diminutive shopkeeper, and vowed that they would not willing leave her alone so long as she would have them.

The emotions that had been pent up inside Kirin burst through the highly reinforced gate that had held them in check for so long. Her fears, her loneliness, her sorrow, all the negative emotions that would have dulled her scales were finally allowed into the open light of the newly dawning day. She realized the pair knew she had been holding back all of her emotions, withholding that which she was terrified to allow any other to touch because of the fear it would be torn asunder: her heart. They stood together with her against the flood of her insecurities and pains, her agonies and fears, and even the things that terrified her the most. All of it they waded patiently through until they gently enfolded her battered heart and tattered soul in the warm glow of their combined love.

She found herself weeping uncontrollably in his arms, her head pressed to his chest, listening to his heart beat as he caressed her while also holding her to him. She could also feel the ethereal arms of Aku reaching out to enfold her from behind, resting her head against the scaled back and lending the aged woman they found themselves holding. She had given up on finding anything lasting in her life, accepting that her liaisons would be fleeting at best, and had prepared to end her life as lonely as she had started it. But, now... now she was being shown she was wrong to surrender so easily when she'd fought so hard to get where she was. Eventually the flood of tears slowly ebbed until there was barely a trickle left, the void she'd felt for so long was now replaced with a new full feeling, and she found herself looking forward to the rest of eternity, now that she had a pair of souls to share it with.

Galen did his best not to sigh. He really should have known better, but the feisty lizard woman had ever so innocently got en him to lay back down with her again, and then had promptly lain over the top of him and fallen asleep. There would be no carefully managed escape and being able to slip out while she slept. There were things that needed to be done, important things, but here he was pinned to the bed by a sleeping form that barely weighed a half what he did. And you're terrified of her, too, Aku whispered in his mind with a soft chuckle. Hey, you're no braver, you won't even take over in her presence after she fit that last strap-on inside of you.

This got a distinct embarrassed and blushing silence from the fem wolf, and they shared the memory of Aku's surprise at having something she thought was rather too large for her actually fitting. She hadn't complained, it had been a divine experience, but they both knew there were larger intimate items in that area. Aku found herself to be just a wee bit terrified that the diminutive reptile might try and use one of them on her.

Can't a girl get any rest with you two?” the reptile woman grumped at them before nipping at a convenient patch of fur on Galen's chest. Then her lids slipped from over the milky white eyes, an action that was purely for show, but indicated she was regarding the the twin souls.

As much as we would love to let you, love, we really need to get a move on...” Kirin leaned up and ended his sentence with a deep, loving kiss, which he happily returned, adding a caressing of his hand that started at the back of her knee and then up the length of the back of her thigh until he was cupping the under-swell of her rump, which he gave a firm squeeze of appreciation before giving it a light swat. This broke the kiss as she made a startled squeal of protest, trying to protect her still tender backside with her hands from any further abuse. “Seriously, I know you're worried for us after this afternoon, but keeping us here isn't going to help the person we're trying to find.”

The flinch was very evident and Galen felt instantly ashamed for having said it that way. His arms gently encircled the aged woman, holding her as she trembled softly. “I'm sorry, Kirin. I know, we scared you, and what we're dealing with isn't exactly safe. But, no one else can, right now, unless we make our report.” And he was being completely honest with her, if what they found was going to be dealt with properly and not by them, they had to make their way back to the Peace Keeper and tell him what they found out.

This actually had Kirin up on her elbows on his chest and she dug her clawed fingers into the fur covering his chest. “Don't lie to me Galen...” there was real hesitation in her voice and on her surprisingly expressive features. “Are you only going to seek out the Keeper and then come back to me?” He cocked his head, mentally opening up so that she could see there was no funny business, he had every intention of going directly to Wirth and then coming directly back again. He could actually feel her probing in his mind, trying to discover any subterfuge, but there was none to be found. Her fingers tightened in their grip of his fur, almost painfully, as she could be seen making up her mind. “Please, come back to me safely,” she said after a moment, her fingers unclenching as she slid to the side and off of him.

He ran the backside of his finger across the the under side of one sightless eye, which came away wet, and he gave her tapered snout a kiss, “I promise, I have no intention of seeking trouble. But, while I'm not here, I want you to keep your shop closed. We,” he corrected himself at Aku's soft cough in his mind, “we both feel that it would be best if you did not take anymore customers.”

Feeling their protectiveness must have been a boon for their small, scaled lover because she brightened a little hearing that. She nodded her acceptance of this, getting out of bed with him as he stood and clasped the cloak around his neck and then pulled the cowl up and over his skull so that it wouldn't disturb others. He followed her to the front door so that he could be let out and make sure the door was locked afterward. He smiled, realizing that, somehow, she was armed with that silver dagger again that had been embedded in his firearm earlier. She'd been more than happy to heal him with another of her poultices too. She mentioned then, as others that had known them and been healing them, how their bodies were separate and yet they were the same creature. Honestly it was probably the only thing that had saved them any number of times.

At the door, he knelt next to her and kissed her one more time before he stood and stepped out after she unlocked the door and waited to make sure he heard her re-lock the door, the closed sign remaining fixed in the window. Satisfied, he then walked down the street, heading for the hotel room, but he turned before he got there, instead heading down toward one of the open air markets. Galen... “You know full well we can't put others in harm's way,” he said, even as he didn't have to imagine the terror this change was going to cause the diminutive lizard. It broke his heart to do this, but he wasn't one to hand off something he'd started, especially if it was dangerous.

She's SO going to hurt you... “Us, she's going to hurt us, unless you're forgetting the part where you completely failed to warn her that I can be surprisingly impossible to read when I want to be.” Aku mentally pouted, her voice small as she said, I wasn't going to get myself involved in this... Aku replied, but they could both easily imagine just how bad this was going to be when Kirin got a hold of them. “I'd say we could...” NO YOU WILL NOT EVEN THINK THAT! Aku screamed in his head and he flinched, knowing immediately that that joke was very poorly timed. He sighed, thinking aloud as well saying, “I'm sorry, no, I do not wish to die, even if it means I am so going to be in pain when I get back to you Kirin,” out loud in affirmation for the lizard woman to know.

In the market, Galen took a moment to think about his plan of action with Aku, They were going to need something to help them pry open that magical doorway, something to ward off any magic, something more than his dagger to deal with the physical side of things and finally someway to make sure they could escape with the feline they were in charge of rescuing. With no way of knowing how many of the Naga there were in that tunnel, or tunnels, for that matter, the physical and magical threat was going to be the most problematic. But, he did know he wasn't going to be using anything large to attack or defend himself. So that was his first stop, checking over a couple weapons stalls before paying for a scimitar that was properly sized for his size butt not heavy. From there it was a simple matter of selecting a small array of magic imbued crystals that gave him a good array of both offensive and defensive magic. Then he turned to purchasing a couple elixirs that would allow Aku to recover a part of her energy as she needed to.

He was browsing a selection of teleport crystals when he felt a tug on his cloak, surprising him. Looking down, he spotted a young boy hanging on to his cloak. Kneeling, he asked, “What is it?”

Kirin says she's going to neuter you,” he said matter-of-factly before trotting off.

Shit, “Shit,” they said simultaneously.

Galen was trying very hard not to think of the hell that was waiting for him back at the reptilian vixen's store. Very hard. The trouble wasn't that he didn't know what was waiting for him, it was actually that he and Aku's imagination was very good and they'd had a lot of experience on both the receiving and giving ends of anger in a relationship. So this mean they could imagine a great deal of what may be sitting there in the store waiting for their return. And that was quite possibly the worse thing that you could do to a person. Not the physical harm, but the anticipation of it. Let them come up with horrors in their own mind for an extended period, and they can do more harm to themselves in a short span then you could ever do to them in a lifetime. Because a person knows their own fears more thoroughly then you ever could.

She's done this deliberately, hasn't she?”

You know we would have done the same thing if we had been in her... skin. It was hard to say in her shoes, when the woman refused to wear a stitch of clothing, much less shoes.

Now that was a very welcome distraction, remembering how her skin shown in the sunlight, how the oil and her scales natural luminescence had mingled to outshine the very light they were reflecting. And that had led to the back of the store, and that had led... Whoa there stud, we definitely don't need to be that distracted right now, Aku reigned in his memories before things got way out of hand. Galen grunted, but she was right, he had to deal with this before he dealt with... her.

The alleyway and the lot beyond were exactly as they remembered it, but, with the presence of someone who can weave light and shadow as intricately with the real world, this meant nothing. Galen crouched there, just inside the alleyway so he was not immediately visible from the street. But, a familiar scent caught his attention, and he turned to find the same boy that had delivered the angry woman's first message standing behind him. And, in his arms, he held a leather satchel. “Goddess, she's going to take my hide as well as my balls...” he whined, but he took the satchel, knowing full well that Kirin wouldn't have sent it if it weren't necessary.

She really is, that was going to be my next message,” and the child seemed so chipper about it too.

Oi, kid, before you go,” and he caught the boy by his collar as he made to dart off. Fishing out a silver disc from his pocket, he held it so that it the youngling could see it. “Do you know Peace Keeper Wirth?”

Duh, who doesn't know of him?”

No, I didn't say of, I said have you actually been close enough to see him?”

No, actually, you didn't, you just asked if I knew him. Which, no, I don't, but yes, I have been close enough to know him on sight. Why?” There was a speculative air to the kid as he eyed the silver coin.

Here,” he gave it to the kid, and once it was in his hands, he smirked, “Now, the coin is cursed such that if you don't deliver my message to him, I will know where you are and be able to find you to exact my punishment.”

Cha, whatever, you're not as strong as Ki...” but the boy's words stopped when he tried to drop the coin and it stuck to his hand. Try as he might he couldn't be rid of it. “No no no no... I can't go to that man, the guards will have me thrown in jail...”

Galen then held up a piece of paper, the one handed to him by Wirth as a sign to whomever it was shown, the holder had the Keeper's trust. It wasn't a free pass, but would at least have guaranteed Galen would be heard before being turned down out right if he asked for aid. “Show the guards this, and don't be upset if they take it form you. But tell them the truth,” and now Galen slipped his cowl back to reveal his barren skull, “You got it from a skull headed wolf man that told you to see the Peace Keeper. Then, tell the Keeper about this alleyway and that I've found Osiris Noworthy and will probably need some help.”

He realized the kid was looking at his skull head with something of a mixture between awe and terror. “Did she do that too you?”

Did she...? “Yes, she did. And think what she'll do to you if you don't deliver that message?” He was going to hell anyway, it was go big or go home at this point.

The young man paled considerably at this, and then his feet were pumping hard in order to begin delivering that message even before they were settled on the ground. He was surprised at the kids speed and agility as he ran through the crowd and the wagons on the cobbled road, and out of his site around the next corner. Oh Goddess Galen... that poor child...

He wasn't afraid of us, but he was afraid of her and I didn't have time to give him a new thing to be afraid of... Shit, Aku, We're afraid of her and how many decades do we have on her? We've been skinned alive, and yet the mere thought of her being angry with me makes me want to find someplace a long way from here to be, and even then I wouldn't feel safe.” he thought about it and the twin souls came tot he same conclusion at the same time:

We should have brought her with us.

We should have brought her with us.”

The satchel was actually only partly filled, for all of its weight. But it was no meager offering, nor, as he had feared initially, was it filled with explosives. At least, none meant to kill him. The charges were highly specific, and he recognized what they actually were. He'd remembered seeing them in Kirin's shop and had wondered why a reptile would keep something meant to kill reptiles in her shop. He didn't ask, of course, because it sort of made okay business sense, and it wasn't like someone would get the drop on her to use one against her. She'd given him two of the five she had, and the price tags had not been anything to shrug off.

I'd like to say we're not going to use them...” Who are you kidding? You're going to use that stone to open the pathway and toss one in the hole as soon as it will fit.

This, actually, was very much the idea he had in mind for the initial breech, as it would mean they could stride through semi-unmolested for a few feet. The other two would almost certainly guarantee a clean getaway. The other was one of Kirin's silver blades, the handle and weight made specifically for her reptilian hands. But, as he tested it in his own large hand, he felt the air fairly sing with the passing of the tip. “Whoa, seriously?” He made a stabbing motion, and then brought the blade up in a slash, and watched as the new mirage cast over the lot was shredded.

There were six of them forming a half circle in front of the entrance to the pit, they were all lethally armed, and, more importantly, they were prepared for Galen and Aku. Sort of. Heavy weapons, bucklers, everything needed to defend their home. But somehow, the quickness with which they pierced the veil this time was even more startling, it seemed. He'd had two of the reptile poison canisters in his hands, already, so he tossed the first at their... ummm.... bellies, since they didn't technically have feet. Then he pulled the other back, and pitched the second past them and into the entrance of the den.

The second had just flashed past as the first hit the ground and detonated in an oily black smoke that immediately filled the lot. “Goddess... we might not have needed the second one...” Better safer then sorry. And Aku was right, it was safer this way. Slipping the silver dagger into an inside pocket, Galen hefted the curve bladed Scimitar in his right hand, ignoring the slight ache it caused his recently healed forearm. He deserved that ache, for now. He was striding easily through the black fog that hung over the area, glad that the stuff really was only lethal to the reptilian kind. “We're gonna have to take a long bath after this...” He heard Aku's giggle at this and snarled, knowing full well the diminutive shop keeper also read the fact that he really disliked taking baths, for any reason... well, accept maybe. Galeeen. Came the warning tone form Aku, returning him to the present and away from more thoughts about slender form that was Kirin.

A small crystal hovered next to them as they walked through the slowly clearing mist of the snake killer bomb. It provided plenty of light for his sensitive eyes, glad he had insisted on the weakest ones the shop keeper had. The price had been fair too, though he still gave the man more than he had been asking for them. It was one of the reasons he was broke all the time and let Aku handle the finances and shopping most of the time. Coming to a halt at an intersection, he began forcing his breath through his nose in short quick huffs, like he was hyperventilating, but this forced the air back and forth over his hypersensitive scent receptors.

He frowned, He smelled Osiris quite clearly, but the scent of the Naga was weak, as if they hadn't been here for long, if at all. There were some other scents, but right now he couldn't speculate on them. For a moment, he was worried, it was going too well, this was too easy. Galen... Right, he can't think about this right now. If they're going to make this easy on him, he would take full advantage of their idiocy. He made his way down the left passage, scimitar held ready, body tense. It didn't matter if it wasn't a trap. He treated it like it was, that way he could be pleasantly surprised.

Osiris was in a room at the end of the hallway he had been following. He was alive, but he'd been poisoned or sedated, his glazed eyes staring upward to the ceiling, his moth open and slack jawed, tongue hanging out the side slightly. “Osiris Noworthy?”

Yes,” the feline man responded, but it was strange, almost drunken in nature.

Are you okay?”

I've been poisoned. I'll die in the next few minutes...”

Galen, this isn't feeling right... “Did they use a drug or magic to make you speak the truth?” Galen had a hunch about this.

A truth serum, made specifically for me by Tethis.”

Galen withdrew two crystals from the inside of his cloak, the first one he used was placed against the holes in the side of feline's neck that were dribbling blood tinged with a black substance. Instantly the crystal glowed, beginning to absorb the poison from Noworthy's body. This would keep him alive, but the serum on the other hand... “Osiris, who is Tethis?”

I do not know, sir. This is the first I've met him.”

Okay, tell me what you do know.”

Tethis is a drider, kind of like a centaur but using arachnid instead of equine parts. He seems able to work with blood, and he seems important to the Naga that lured me here.”

Why did you report the theft if you were originally working with the Naga?”

I refused to give them the ingredients they requested. I told them the rare stuff would be paid for. Not at all price, mind you, but they insisted that I just give it to them.” The poison was almost completely out of his system by now, and the breathy quality left his voice.

Osiris, do you know what the ingredients were being used for?”

No, I couldn't piece it together, but I know I'm not their only supplier.”

The rest would have to be gotten out by Wirth. He placed the second crystal against the wound and it too glowed, but it was a different color, now absorbing the serum from the shopkeeper's body. Galen didn't bother with any other questions now either. He was too busy looking around, that sense of wrongness still tingling in his mind. For all the energy poured into that illusion, he would have figured there would be more of a presence here. But there weren't any others here, or nothing he could smell or sense at least.

Osiris groaned and started sitting up on his own, and the crystal in his hand was nearly matte black. Damn, that's a lot of serum, and yet this man didn't seem to be that strong a person. “Are you okay, Mr. Noworthy?”

The feline looked up to him, suspicious and bewildered a moment, and then sighed, nodding his head, “Yes, I think so. What are you doing here?”

If Galen had had eye lids, he would have narrowed them. That was a strange first question for someone that had been in his position. “I was sent to find you after you've been missing for about a week. Disappearing after filing a report made the police worried about your well being.”

Oh... yes, well I guess that makes sense. Shall we get going then?”

Again, his sense of wrongness returned, but he wasn't sure what it might be linked to. “Yes, it's probably a good idea to,” and Galen pocketed the stone, suddenly very curious about what had been in the man's system.

It was just too damned easy.

That's what was messing with him, what he couldn't wrap his mind around. And now that he actually paid attention to things, there were more issues piling up. Aku was being askance without actually voicing her question, “Bodies...” he mused as he looked at the ground between them and the entrance they were walking towards. Suddenly, it was very apparent what Galen meant. There weren't any, and there should have been at least two or three, if not more, considering how many had been outside.

Reptiles didn't have the best vision in broad daylight, so this dark place would give them fits, unless their eyes were adapted to it, and then it would mean no going out into the light, probably. And the cold. It was just too chilly down here for those o reptile blood. He was frowning deeply, even before he escorted the feline male up out of the caverns. There were no bodies up here either. The six... “Illusion magic.”

The feline male's head jerked toward him, a look of anger there for a brief second, and then it was gone, as if never having been.