Voting has reset for the month of May. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Valucre

Register now to gain access to the World of Valucre. Once you do, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You can ask questions before signing up in the pre-registration threadexplore the world's lore in the Valucre Overview, and learn all you need to know in five minutes by reading the Getting Started page.

Robbie Rotten

What is the structure of RP?

39 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Robbie Rotten said:

That's interesting because it reveals a willingness to alter IC behavior based on OOC perceptions: Because I think the other person did not write their actions in good faith, I will respond to them differently. If one were to truly approach RP as a rigid game, would that be an acceptable way to "play?"

I think so. This is not a novel we're writing; though we are indeed 'writing', we're roleplaying, and it's just not the same thing. We often are left with choosing where are our characters will go for the sake of roleplaying, and sometimes quite physically. For example, if the character Jack was in Genesaris yesterday, and today there are no threads in Genesaris that seem worthwhile, the roleplayer might suddenly throw Jack in Terrenus for that one awesome open thread he just saw--that happens to, coincidentally, take place not long after Jack's events in Genesaris.

The point I'm trying to get across is that there is an inevitable 'merging' with IC and OOC--to an extent. The two are not strictly and entirely separate entities, similar to...time and space? As much as I try to roleplay with my characters 'to character', that is, writing Jack out as Jack would do things rather than as I would do things, no matter the consequences, sometimes I simply feel in a particular mood.

If Jack is my only character because multiple characters confuse me (lol), and though Jack is generally a serious guy, I might be in a jolly mood for some comedic writing. So all of a sudden I change things up and, at least in this one roleplay thread I just entered, Jack is written entirely for comic relief. Because, in the end, this is roleplay, and we sometimes alter roles in order to play and have fun.

I should have clarified in my above post that it may not be acceptable on this site to flat our ignore another's post even if that post was written with the word 'invalid' screaming at everyone. It may require immediate attention OOC or some kind of more appropriate response IC, particularly one that still makes sense based on the current story. But if I can get away with being completely stupid IC as a response to someone else's being completely stupid, I probably will. It's not like I'll ever look back at that thread and go: "Gee, that was really out of character for Jack." I don't keep that much track of my characters and, again, I'm not writing a novel.

Edited by Die Shize

Right, I mean, that pretty much describes my own mindset to a T. "This is not a game; it is a collaborative writing exercise. I will treat it as a game to the extent that I find it useful to treat it as such, but if circumstances dictate that treating it as a game is no longer a viable approach (i.e. I believe someone is acting in bad faith and writing disruptive things just for the sake of being an asshat, or something like that), I will acknowledge that it is not, in fact, a game, and adjust my behavior accordingly." Ultimately, the principle of collaborating with others through mutual agreement (whether explicit or implicit) supersedes any sort of game-like rules that might be imposed. Some people don't really seem to understand this distinction however, which is one reason I made the topic. It's served its purpose in generating some interesting discussion.

Die Shize likes this

2 hours ago, Robbie Rotten said:

If one were to truly approach RP as a rigid game, would that be an acceptable way to "play?"

Not to me. Others may like it, but I might turn into the rules lawyer from hell if other players introduce hard "game" rules in the middle of a roleplay that didn't start with any out of spite for the threadjackers.

2 minutes ago, notmuch_23 said:

Not to me. Others may like it, but I might turn into the rules lawyer from hell if other players introduce hard "game" rules in the middle of a roleplay that didn't start with any out of spite for the threadjackers.

I may be wrong, but I believe Robbie worded it in a way like, if a person were looking at it from the view of a rigid game structure already, would responding differently to someone who, well, 'threadjacked' the roleplay be acceptable? As in, would responding IC that your character hopped into an uber-fridge and survived a nuclear blast that came out of nowhere from a character who just entered the thread be acceptable, on the basis that stupid + stupid = stupid and move on?

zackrobbman and Robbie Rotten like this

2 hours ago, Die Shize said:

would responding IC that your character hopped into an uber-fridge and survived a nuclear blast that came out of nowhere from a character who just entered the thread be acceptable, on the basis that stupid + stupid = stupid and move on?

I say absolutely: In that case, I'd consider the threadjacker a munchkin (speedhacking and hijacking), and countering a munchkin is the only time I would ever munch.

Die Shize likes this

There is this thing called the anti munch project. It is my opinion that violating those rules should always be called out. On the grounds that breaking those rules is at the very least a base insult to everyone you're writing with.

notmuch_23 likes this