Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Voting has reset for the month of October. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Akiris

Let's talk about Thread Invasion

THERE ARE NO RULES FOR INVASIONS.

Heh, actually there are so many rule sets that there cannot really be anything that is considered the one true rule set. As opening post, I'll drop my thoughts on the matter then anyone else can drop theirs and we can all nitpick together.

The thread goal is that at least some of us have some new ideas to mull over.

------------------------------------------

Initial checklist

1) Is this interesting?

Well, seeing as whatever thread you have your eyes on is likely at least 1/4 to 3/4 done I hope you are. This leads to....

2) What's the in character reason for the invasion?

Well, I hope you didn't just poof into existence and attack the protagonist. We call those mooks, and the only contribution to the story they give is the scene where they get beaten down. You'll need character development of your own if you want any chance of not getting facerolled. Sure, skill in typing out your roleplay fighting moves might tip the scale, but storyline is a several ton weight.

3) Just checking, this isn't personal right?

I know we all get revenge fantasies or lie about not getting them, but don't forget to check yourself. Because.....

4) You better have time to devote to this.

Gearing up your own storyline and pitting it against another, that's great. If you can keep it up. Otherwise you suck and have betrayed everything I've mentioned so far. Say you invade and capture someone for a bounty. Remember how I said you need an in character reason? Now the buddies have an in character reason to go after you. Don't you dare ghost and try to wash your hands of the event.

-------------------------------------------------------

Now actually doing something

1) Private message whoever you plan to invade and explain things to them before actually invading. Actually do some back and forth before posting in thread.

This is a forum. You can't really surprise someone for a reflex reaction. They're going to read your post, think about it, and respond in some way. As is anyone else who has the inclination to. All X of them. You might want to work something out. Once you have an agreement don't be the one to break it. There's not much recourse against scummy behaviour in an anon roleplay, so being able to state in truth that your word is good is significant.

2) Your first post doesn't have to be walking right up and introducing yourself. Stalking is perfectly acceptable.

Well, maybe not in real life. But if you happen to be stalking someone, you'll want character development stating you have a pretty good idea of what is else is going to come at you once you get started. This would have limited use in something like a city where there are by default people everywhere but if your character can track their character out into the middle of nowhere or swing area control just right..... than you might just have the holy grail of thread invasions. Where the friends can't logically come pouring in out of nowhere to bury you under weight of numbers.

3) Actually, none of your posts in a particular thread require a fight scene between the two of you.

If the odds look bad and whoever you're after isn't aware of your intentions IC. You don't actually need to aggress. Kill on sight isn't the only way to play.

4) If you get refused access/ducked and you still want to do this then be prepared to break out your storyline you built up to articulate its worth.

If an organizer of a subforum cannonized part of your storyline in this venture, shoot them a private messages and get a group convo going. I said you'd better have time to devote to this.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ok, this is all I feel like typing out right now. It's mostly what I do if I was on here more instead of invading casuls in DS3. If none of you have anything that can top this I am going to be seriously disappointed as in this case I pretty sure I am literally the casul here.

My opinion is that there really shouldn't be any such thing as a "thread invasion" with the possible exception of a board/space that is specifically set up to allow this type of RPing and clearly outlines itself as such to anyone who posts there. The reason being that I think people should RP with who they want to RP with and not be forced to RP with anyone whom they don't want to RP with--I haven't run into a single instance ever where this basic principle has steered me wrong, the best RP is always when everyone is on the same page, and most if not all the retarded drama blow ups I have seen derive from people trying to push us each other around when really their RP styles/personalities are simply incompatible and they shouldn't be trying to write together to begin with.

So, if you have a random desire to drop in on someone's thread and start doing stuff, yes, you should contact them and get their permission first, unless the thread is marked Open (even then I favor communication if you're planning to do something disruptive, but in the case of an Open thread, you can just drop in and whip out your dick and technically get away with it, although I maintain that the results may not be very pretty). If you do this however--if you ask for permission--then by definition it's not really an "invasion" anymore since that implies a hostile party coming in by force, it's a collaboration at that point not an invasion, even if your chars are opposed to each other IC.

I'd certainly be interested to see how it works. I'm pretty brand new here so I don't really know anything about PvP conflict. So far I haven't needed to.

4 hours ago, Praetorian said:

Paradigm and Syncopy have an active PVP zone, I'm looking to come up with something a little different.

However, I am not past the gauging interest levels, yet.

(If no one cares, I'm not interested enough to actually do any work.)

It's sad that conflict is so rare. That's what makes a great story. 

The most exciting RP I've been in since joining in 2013, has been in @Rin 's place, because she encourages bad guys, conflicts, etc...

By conflict, I mean actual fighting/warring conflict, not romance conflict.

Edited by Deviant

I posted this in a status message and thought the point was good enough to share. 

Me personally, I love me some good conflict but find that conflict is not limited to thread invasions or PVP and that other forms of it tend to be more fulfilling. In the forms of narrative conflict in literature, "man against man" is one form but man against nature, against self, and against societies are other forms and I think people default too often to "let's fight" vs exploring the other forms of conflict. But that's just me :)

Would be great to see some bigger scale wars that didn't revolve around romance, or romance triangles of more known character's. 

I think encouraging this would bring more activity to less active boards and encourage new people to participate. 

2 minutes ago, Deviant said:

Would be great to see some bigger scale wars that didn't revolve around romance, or romance triangles of more known character's. 

I think encouraging this would bring more activity to less active boards and encourage new people to participate. 

Going to have to agree with you there, at least for the people that like orchestrating and managing large scale wars at any rate. From what you've said sounds like that's exactly what Rin is doing in Athentha and it's working!