Alexei

Liber Corvinum

FuWyJ9y.png

"I tread the path of Righteousness. Though it be paved with broken glass, I shall walk it barefoot; though it crosses rivers of fire, I will pass over them; though it wanders wide, the light of the Emperor guides my step."

Table of Contents

Book I

Edited by Alexei

Verse I:0—Genesis

I have tasted death, when the heart starts beating slower, painfully and laboured. When the cold sets in deep, to the soul and clouds the mind with the instinctive fear that brings delusions of a terrible nature. Yes, I was mortal once, prone to the weaknesses of all mortal men when they edge ever closer to their final breaths.

I too have felt the change, the abomination of unlife. The cold emptiness, and the eternal biting hunger that drives the creatures we call the Undead, or Vampires. It was in my failing that I understood their true nature, and the weaknesses the lay dormant in all men. Those very weaknesses had led to my fall.

Fear. Greed. Lust.

Yet it was not these particular phases of my past that awakened me to my purpose. That connected me to the unconscious will of all Mankind. No. It was the grace and pity of the woman I now call my wife, and the stolen power of a so-called goddess.

Light purified the black blood that had tainted me. It awoke in me my divinity.

Then.

Evolution.

Returned to grace I was different. Wiser. The understanding of my nature unlocked though yet not fully discovered. That understanding would come later, as I embraced and conquered the Cold South, reforged it as the beginning of an empire in which humanity could realize it's manifest destiny within me. When I first began to explore what I truly was, not simply the will of Mankind made manifest. The Great Authority, when I would impose the proper order against the World's Corruption and it's creatures. When I would begin the conquest of this world under the supremacy of Man.

Verse 1:1—Exodus

Upon my rebirth I was exiled from the Orisian Isles. Thinking back, my actions were perhaps the will of man, driving my fate inexorably towards destiny. Though stripped of my knighthood, and out of what little funds remained to me, my men remained loyal. Loyalty forged in blood and steel, it is a hard thing to break. It seemed my return to humanity made it all the stronger. We landed in Cobran, at the start of winter.

I did not journey to to Shrine City, as many predicted I would. Instead we trudged through the snow and bitter cold. It was a purification of sorts, the feezing climes sapping the Orisian heat from our bones, its harsh winds tempering our resolve. After the loss of many men, and the invaluable help of Deiter we found ourselves in Scales. Everything would begin there.

My first experience with the people was me staring down the barrel of a rifle as I worked to convince the village elder to join under my cause. I knew of their past, the murder and rape of their people by the order of the non-human general and his armies of the so-called Great North. I promised him the rebuilding of the Cold South, to raise it to none ew heights and prosperity not seen in centuries. 

The small kingdom I founded there would be the beginnings of an empire. The first brick in the foundation of an Empire that would safeguard the destiny and prosperity of all mankind. For the first time, I had found my purpose. Thus began my rule over a small kingdom.

Edited by Alexei

Verse 1:2—Destiny

Upon the invitation of Leoa, I made my first visit to Renovatio. I was impressed to say the least, not simply by its technological advancement, but its robust culture and history. Though I disagreed with the strange and almost contradictory faith the people held. It was also here that everything began to move and the foundations of my plan formed in my mind.

It was also here that I fell in love with the woman who would be my bride and Empress. She guided me through the city, showing me an affection I was quite unused to, though her charm and wit captivated me. She was unlike any woman I knew, so clear and direct in her beliefs and purpose.

It was not long when I made my affections known, and happily she returned them. That night we indulged in our passions, becoming one. The next few weeks we made plans to return to my small kingdom. A formal union still far from our minds as we both had our own extensive responsibilities.

Little by little my purpous was revealed to me. Upon my return to Scales I began laying the groundwork for the future. Agents of mine in Shrine City kept me abreast of the political and economic situation of the capital city.

Edited by Alexei

Verse 1:3—Fate is inexorable

News arrived to me of the mysterious disappearance of the entire ruling family and their cohorts of Shrine City. My agents attempted to find any leads on the truth of the matter, and I allowed the strange situation of the capital to continue to near breaking point as I made preparations with my small but well armed and trained military. A year passed before the time was right, just before the outbreak of riots and the inevitable bloodshed for the throne began. By the end of the year, my first son was born.

I arrived in the city, bearing gold and silver which I planned to jumpstart the city's economy with, an attempt to heal the damage my greedy predecessor had wrought. My small army was there to mitigate any possible violence and to help combat the beginnings of disease. I wasted no time in bringing the city into my grasp.

Despite my best efforts, and those of Leoa, who had possessed the ability to connect with the people; something I lacked at the time, an attempted rebellion occurred. They had wounded my wife, and kidnapped my son, no doubt to force my abdication. If it were not for the Ucissore under the command of Leoa, and the dogged dedication of Deiter I might have considered. Though only briefly, as I was beginning to understand my path.

The rescue and capture of my son and the rebels was short and bloody. The criminals who survived I had executed by implement. It took eight days for the ring leaders to die. To this day, metal structures still stand in the market square of Shrine City as a reminder and a warning.

It was then that I began to follow through on my instinct, the powerful will within that led me to create the foundation of what is today called the Kadian Empire. The Imperium of Man.

Edited by Alexei

Verse 1:4—Imperium

Years passed as I solidified my rule. Leoa bore me two sons and two daughters. For a time there was peace as my wife tended to the people, and I to the affairs of state and military. Those things were absolutely necessary for her to focus on; her acts of charity and comfort, brought the people closer to us. Winning their trust.

In this time I watched as another Empire grew in the Arcane East. At it's head was a Vampyre named Raphael, my agents in both Orisia and the East informed me that he is of the same phenotype as the Black Queen. I viewed it as a potential threat to the ideals of self-reliance and human Ingenuity that broke the chains of magical-technology and pushed the Cold South into a new age of technological, cultural, and societal advancements.

What is peace, if only just the time to prepare for another war? It was not long until an uprising of Non-humans and beasts, led by a Shaman occurred. A craven assassination attempt had wounded and poisoned Leoa. My son Nero had managed to push back the assault; in doing so proving his might, saving Leoa from being overwhelmed.

We wasted no time; finding that any treatment failed, even my influence could not save her as the pain would have killed her. We formed a ragtag band to hunt down the Shaman. It was a long endeavor, in which beasts, Mutants, and the wielders of corruption came at us in droves. In that long and bloody fight I began to understand my nature and the importance I had to not just the humans within the borders of my budding empire but all of Valucre.

We laid the Shaman low, and burned the body along with the base of operations the usurper used in the attempt to kill the mother of my children and undermine my rule. The attack had united the people not only to my ideals but to me. I then made my first empire spanning decree, one many outside the Imperium titled the "xenophobic decree". With the empire united in one singular cause we pushed the enemies if Man to the East.

Edited by Alexei

Verse 1:5—Corvinite Cult

The scales had fallen from my eyes the year I learned of a budding cult. The Corvinite Cult. While it was not a sudden realization, it was one the came steadily to me. I learned that this cult hailed me not merely as an Emperor, but a God. The one true God of Mankind.

They claimed a connection to me, something I had felt as well, but mistakenly believed it to be a darkness within me. Rather it was a light trying to break free from the darkness of my own doubts. That; however, would become clear years later.

To say the least; I ignored the whole affair, it had become clear to me that mankind will always need to believe in something more than themselves. An existence that represents their ideals and morality. It also; I thought, did not hurt to have people who held to my laws and ideals absolutely.

Edited by Alexei

Verse 1:6—Arcane East

I had watched the East over the months, as Raphael's empire had grown. Agents within Umbra had told me of Raphael's rise to divinity, by the grace of the High Lord's themselves. The news had returned my attention to the latest reports of the Corvinite Cult, who have used my triumph over the Shaman to draw more into their Faith.

It was interesting how quickly they grew in such a short period of time. Despite everything, I still doubted their claims of my own divinity. I even scoffed at such an idea in the remaining shadows of my own ignorance, regardless of the events that had transpired.

I used Raphael's rise in power to further unite my people. To solidify the truth that if Man did not unite beneath my banner they would become no more than cattle of the xenos. I even employed the same tactics Raphael did. Propagandizing the idea of the Blood God. The Vampyre threat of the East.

By this time technology had advanced to the point that few could stand against the might of my army or of the Imperial fleet. We had mastered the use of cold fusion, taking us fully from the path of magical-technology. We were a force feared, and rightly so.

Edited by Alexei

“With the war finally ending and the threat of chaos finally quelled before Kadian soil, the people mourned and rejoiced equally, their lives able to continue on in the times of peace sure to follow in the post-bellum period. Those soldiers with a family rejoined them, smiles and warm embraces to heal the scars of war. Those without them honored their dead, tears of sorrow and melancholy, but with their brothers in arms providing a shoulder to cry on.

In the black spire of the Inquisition, silent comrades sat side by side, sharing a meal and mending their wounds, their work never ending, their respite short. But perhaps by overcoming the hellish events they endured, they became closer, stronger and more respectful of their position.

The royal families weren’t without loses either. Many a child was lost in the battles, many a parent never to return. Their tombs were gilded, with images and ostentatious decorations… But the death tell no tales, nor enjoy such frivolous mortal privileges.

At the end of the day, the ground reclaimed them all, and their names… All of them, rich or poor, old or young… Would be remembered in history as heroes, for the blood spilled in defense of their homes was not in vain.

Kadia would honor their sacrifice.

A great pyre and a long vigil of prayers were given to those lost in the immaterium, asking to the heavens for peace to their souls, respite from the horrid touch of chaos. No talk of the dark gods was given, not even in loathing, for the worst punishment for their atrocities would be ignorance and indifference. Do not feed the foul beast willingly, as it will bite your arm in payment. For 3 nights, every city in the Empire would light up in fire and word, with Axis Mundi offering the largest, as to guide the righteous souls to an eternal, peaceful rest.

The brave warriors of the Empire, those still standing, joined in prayer as well, promising to carry their wills until their last breath announced their reunion.

As for the young Emperor, the son of Corvinus, he was the leader who stood at the front of the line, who carried the weight of a nation on his shoulders in its darkest times. For that he received the eternal praises and gratitudes of his people… But we knew him better.

We, who stood behind him, who fight to alleviate the crushing responsibility of his position. His friends, family and allies. We knew that behind the proud visage of a ruler, lied the painful memories of those he couldn’t save. Innocence, lost at such a young age, thrown into the harsh reality of a world who would attempt to crush him at any opportunity. And yet he stood there, facing the abyss... And driving it back.

The scars we bear will never disappear. The lives we lost will never return. But we carry on, with the unyielding will of humanity as our standard, facing the darkness proud and defiant.

Long live the Empire of Kadia, and its people, forever stalwart into the future.”

• From the Prologue of “The Harrowing - A Memoir” by Inquisitor Alexandra Caelestia.