Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Voting has reset for the month of October. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

supernal

General roleplay discussion

I think dedicated threads, like we already have for the board, are useful and especially handy for quick data collection on trends. 

That said I know people sometimes have just a quick question or two they might not feel requires a thread and so it just goes unasked. So this general thread will serve as an outlet for that. 

Topics should be around, but not limited to, things like: world-building, lore management, activity tracking, character development, and so on.

Edited by supernal

https://www.valucre.com/topic/37338-the-suns-throne-ursa-madeum-not-unlocked-yet/

So I am trying to figure out if there is more i need to put in for this city in order to better paint a picture for the reader. I know i left a couple things a mystery which im working on right now but I just wanna know if what I have is enough for people to be interested?

4 hours ago, The Sun Chosen said:

https://www.valucre.com/topic/37338-the-suns-throne-ursa-madeum-not-unlocked-yet/

So I am trying to figure out if there is more i need to put in for this city in order to better paint a picture for the reader. I know i left a couple things a mystery which im working on right now but I just wanna know if what I have is enough for people to be interested?

Just something to chew on, but it kind of sounds like rather than a city, you wrote that for a nation or a really, really big city-state. How big is this city supposed to be?

Edited by Ataraxy

As dense enough for about 350k i think is the limit which is fairly big i think. Since i also had a whole island to kinda play with i figured why not do more with what i have since they wouldn't just be in the city the whole time. Thete are plans for expansion and colonization but im just focusing on making this thing happen first

17 hours ago, The Sun Chosen said:

I think you should bold or increase the text size for the headers. It breaks up the wall of text into sections and makes it easier for the eye to scan for the information it desires. 

Pick 2-3 of the mystical fauna and describe what makes them special. Why are there Pegasi there? What can they do? How are they the same / different than the regular mythology? What's unique about your area's animals or plants?

What you have now is definitely sufficient detail to get someone interested, the above are just my ideas on how to add a little more engagement 

Edited by supernal

Not trying to skip past Dualist's inquiry, just wanting to have another channel of discussion open. 

Pixar's 22 rules of storytelling - http://pixar-animation.weebly.com/pixars-rules.html

The goal - pick one, and only one, rule. What do you like about it and why? It can be something that you've always tried to keep in mind, or a new idea presented by the rules as they're itemized in that list

Okay go!

2 minutes ago, supernal said:

Not trying to skip past Dualist's inquiry, just wanting to have another channel of discussion open. 

Pixar's 22 rules of storytelling - http://pixar-animation.weebly.com/pixars-rules.html

The goal - pick one, and only one, rule. What do you like about it and why? It can be something that you've always tried to keep in mind, or a new idea presented by the rules as they're itemized in that list

Okay go!

Rule 8 - "Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time."

This rule is closely related to one or two other rules in the list, which I won't mention to keep in the spirit of picking just one. 

That rule, or something like it which I simplify as "good enough is good enough", reminds me that not every piece of work I do needs to be a magnum opus, and that something which contributes to the story doesn't have to be flawless as long as it serves a purpose. It keeps me from getting stuck in endless revision cycles

Just now, Red the Ambivalent said:

Comment.

I did the thing I was asked.

you're trash

1 hour ago, supernal said:

Okay go!

#4 is actually incredible

because it's correct, a story is exactly that and nothing else; to dress it up in some kind of thought otherwise is to overcomplicate matters, and to dodge that structural invariably results in something that is...not quite a story.

that's the simplest way i've ever seen the idea of "plot" put, and elegantly, too.

Since my placeholder was disrespected. Yes I'm looking at you mag

So3I4wU.png

This right here is pretty much the staple of what I do as a writer to my character(s). To me it's so much more entertaining and fun to write with others when there are odds against them, something is never going right, when they have to use their brains to get out of a situation that isn't favorable to them.

I've always done this, which is why my characters have such shit lives, which is why I believe the stories I've created with others have been enlightening and rich. I will always use this type of thought process, well in moderation. They are people too!

#17 is glorious. "No work is ever wasted." indeed. I really like this one. If something doesn't work here, a square peg trying to go into a round hole, quit trying to force it in and just let it find its natural place. Sometimes the structure of your writing as you envision it is forcing things into the wrong places, and it needs to be rearranged. 

Personally, I spend a good amount of time shifting things around in my posts, and I don't remove things if I can make them work better elsewhere. This rule is more or less one I've been following throughout my writing but wouldn't have been able to put into words otherwise. 

Oh sorry, was driving. I'd like suggestions, comments, constructive criticism, stuff that is good and places I can improve. All that sort of thing. You can put those here, or if you prefer, I believe I allowed comments on the doc itself. 

Edited by EpicRome23