supernal

Valucre Discord 2.0

Mission statement

Valucre’s Discord server is intended to cater to members actively roleplaying or otherwise creating roleplay-related content on the Valucre Forum.

Link

https://discord.gg/dMUFxKx

Steps to join

Members are free to join but to control who can access, you have to PM a GloMod or ChatMod and be given permissions to post. Without this step all you can do is read. Please include links to your RP posts to make it easier for them to process. 

A group message is suggested over individual messages to specific mods. 

GloMods: Acies ab Vesania. Paroxysm. Praetorian.

ChatMods: Avvercus. Mag.

Requirements

• New members = A Valucre profile. No minimum post count for initial join. After 30 days, requires at least 3x RP posts a month
  • Returning members = Same as new members if they've been gone from the site for 3+ months
  • Current members = 3x RP or RP related posts a month

Things like hub threads and character journals are an easy way to meet the above. 

Other changes

Miscellaneous chatter channels will be removed in an effort to align the chat with the mission statement.  

Edited by supernal

FEEDBACK FROM THE GREAT HAELIKOR

This is actually a really good idea. 

To clarify: in order to qualify for the Discord, you only need to make 3 posts, either IC or RP related (eg I imagine structuring tournaments or events, creating RP related content, etc all fit the bill) in an entire month.

That could be 1 post every 10 days, 3 posts in a single day - and there doesn't even appear to be a character limit/requirement or anything. It's extremely simple. 

Now if this is some kind of misguided attempt at driving traffic towards Val, I'm sorry to say I doubt it'll be that effective. The truth is, "those who will post, will." Declining numbers can be explained by any myriad of things, least of all we've had twice over the banned # of members leave the site due to drama and absurd soap operas that would've occurred with or without an official Discord. And in my opinion, this hobby - roleplaying by post on message boards - is facing an extinction crisis that will only get worse as time goes on, due to technology trends and shifts in where new users will go. Not to sound pessimistic, but- there's too many holes to just plug your hand over in the SS Text Roleplay. What we need is more community mentorship and events that don't fall through, and even then, that's to ensure general contentment among an established base; it won't be drawing in new members like crazy. Best we can hope for is to have a slow death.

Tangent aside-

Why then, is this a good idea?

Because it weeds out people who are congregating in places like this Discord as a social experience, but have no intention of ever roleplaying. Not that I'm bashing chatting it up, roleplaying is a social game after all - but what it does is invite in people who have all of the free time in the world to attack each other and initiate conflict, but somehow have no time at all to make even a few posts in 720~744 hours. AKA, this weeds out shit stirrers. And that's good. That's very good. Just because you, Random Joe User, don't seek out silly internet drama, doesn't mean it's not impacting your roleplay experience. If you ever suddenly see a big content maker disappear, they probably got sucked into something stupid in this vein, and the worst part: it's usually involving people who make Val accounts but have zero roleplay posts. 

It will also hopefully cull the ranks a little bit, because I'll tell ya, even I - a guy who posts really silly stuff all the time in spaces like the Valucre Discord, have a hard time having a conversation there of any value. It's not just the speed at which it goes sometimes, there is a constant deluge of irrelevant garbage flowing through it - rambling about topics like people's relationship problems, allegations of all kinds of lewd conduct, textual screaming matches, people threatening to reveal each other's dirty laundry - all peppered by a few nice but strange people who seem to communicate by hieroglyphics and spam of the phrase LOL at a rate of 900 uses per session. It's a cesspool. And I am keenly intrigued at what'll result if this is put into place- see what... doesn't show up there.

I am a bit disappointed with "Miscellaneous chatter channels will be removed in an effort to align the chat with the mission statement" - I don't see how that's really going to help since 99% of the problems are in the default channel while those other channels are welcome to keep off-topic discussion out of where it'd derail conversations. IMO, this is a miss.

But overall, this is a good idea. I give the HaelReview score of 8.25/10. There's probably some wishful thinking here and some mis-implementations that just won't work out, but the good that'll be derived will more than outweigh the bad. 

Now. Anyone going "buh Hael" - this is how I tend to mentally imagine most people speak as a by the by so roll with it- "buh Hael, I am busy, I have a life~ I can't possibly do this"

In the time it's taken you to read this raving mess I've written up to this point, you could've written a post. Maybe two. I'm an adult (shockingly!) and I work long hours in a brutal field. I'm also not very well in my health as an aside and sometimes, it can make staying focused or on task difficult. I still manage this criteria easily. I guarantee you can too. 

"buh Hael, I don't wanna write bad posts, I wanna write good posts"

Give me 100 "mediocre" posts over 2 "amazing" posts any day. I've got news for you, your best is probably shitty. I know mine is. Even the few of you that write books probably write like garbage when you roleplay. That's okay. This isn't a writing contest. It's roleplaying, with text as the medium - nothing more. Roleplay. Stop using this as an excuse to submit nothing for half a year. 

"no really, my entire life is so busy"

Then you don't have time to be on Discord. 

You're seriously telling me you can't write 3 posts in 4 weeks? Ever? Why are you here then? 

I'm the Master of Procrastination™, why make it easy for me to talk down to you? Just write something. Or make a roleplay profile. Help people with their roleplaying. Contribute literally anything.  I've seen a lot of critique of this just today that seems to stem from "I want to be on an RP Discord but... never RP?" and, if you replaced "RP" with any other subject, it'd sound absurd so why would it not sound absurd here?

I agree 90% and strongly disagree 10% lol.

10 hours ago, Haelikor said:

Now if this is some kind of misguided attempt at driving traffic towards Val, I'm sorry to say I doubt it'll be that effective. The truth is, "those who will post, will." Declining numbers can be explained by any myriad of things, least of all we've had twice over the banned # of members leave the site due to drama and absurd soap operas that would've occurred with or without an official Discord. And in my opinion, this hobby - roleplaying by post on message boards - is facing an extinction crisis that will only get worse as time goes on, due to technology trends and shifts in where new users will go. Not to sound pessimistic, but- there's too many holes to just plug your hand over in the SS Text Roleplay. What we need is more community mentorship and events that don't fall through, and even then, that's to ensure general contentment among an established base; it won't be drawing in new members like crazy. Best we can hope for is to have a slow death.

What's SS Text Roleplay?

Somewhat.

So although the world population is both growing and becoming more probable to go online, a lot of that traffic is increasingly being driven towards mobile phone / app-based instanced internet browsing. AKA this isn't the 2000's where anyone being online was on a desktop/laptop navigating the open internet. Content servicing sites like YouTube, social media like Twitter, bullshit apps like Snapchat, etc make it to where LESS RANDOMS are just browsing around. 

Then cutting that out of the equation, BBS and standard forum software has had lots of competition. 

Image boards, Wiki style formats, Reddit-inspired boards - all have supplanted the forum format. Yet the forum format is best and most commonly used for textual roleplaying in play by post. Only massive and well known forums still have an active flow, and usually because they've cannibalized anything similar. 

itt As we lose people over time, the new blood replacing them is getting less and less venues to naturally come our way. That's true of pretty much any RP site like this one. The only reason you get random boosts in users on a positive end is because so many former communities are dying a dog's death and people jump ship - and that can only last for so long so even this is IMO, a bubble readying itself to burst. 

Then there's community challenges. People less interested in helping newcomers get a foothold and more interested in isolating themselves into little clique groups to emerge from and post once a year while grandstanding. Generally speaking, the people with the most roleplay community experience aren't the people putting in an active effort to try and evolve the medium or make it work smoother; you tend to see this in "veterans" with jaded attitudes and a tendency to drop such dramatic lines as "uffuuhhhh I'm retiring-desu~" So new generations are left to repeat the same mistakes in terms of content organization and event management that drives activity.

I'm not saying by 2018, Val will be dead or anything dramatic like that. But if people don't take the concept the hobby might be in some trouble seriously, they might not like how things look in a few years. 

14 minutes ago, Haelikor said:

Generally speaking, the people with the most roleplay community experience aren't the people putting in an active effort to try and evolve the medium or make it work smoother; you tend to see this in "veterans" with jaded attitudes and a tendency to drop such dramatic lines as "uffuuhhhh I'm retiring-desu~" So new generations are left to repeat the same mistakes in terms of content organization and event management that drives activity.

Couldn't agree more. No one ever said what's done at Valucre has to be writing though--it's just the most easily accessible form of storytelling and convention. I personally don't consider myself to be a writer while walking around with a godbook in my pocket, but I've thought many of the same things.