supernal

Valucre Discord 2.0

2 minutes ago, supernal said:

First post indicates to PM. Where is the PM? Can you copy me on it? It's been said several times that the Discord is not meant to serve as a primary means of communication with staff, which is why I said to PM.

Praetorian posted in this thread that if messaged without the requirements that the message would be ignored. Did your message contain these requirements or any justification whatsoever or did you leave it at "plz make me a member"?

Bundle up the justifications you made here, and send them to the appropriate parties via appropriate method, as indicated in the first post. We'll go from there. Your expectation is that you'd get a reply to your joke messages and our expectation is that a "real" message follows the criteria we laid out.

To be fair, I didn't get a response until I messaged them all on discord. Actually, my PM's sent here still haven't been responded to.

1 minute ago, Albireo said:

To be fair, I didn't get a response until I messaged them all on discord. Actually, my PM's sent here still haven't been responded to.

Copy me on it please.

Does the "read" receipt match up with the time that you were processed via Discord? If so my assumption is that messages were likely opened at the same time and once processed there'd be no need to update you over PM, but I'll let the mods you messaged speak for themselves 

1 hour ago, Haelikor said:

Not that I'd require it to count but I figured I'd just ask to clarify, how about... 

REVIEWS? Mah?

And by "Reviews," I mean original literary works based on other users' roleplay content with gusto and wisdom the likes of which few have ever seen before and likely won't since. 

Here, as a small excerpt to demonstrate what I mean.

I feel I'm helping readers really get into content they may not see otherwise and get immersed in new and innovating ways. Ya know? 

Where are these reviews being posted? 

Thanks for the reply. I PMed, since it was a matter of it being on Discord, as it was done at the first Discord Channel. My mistake, I was an idiot. At the same time, it would have been nice to receive a response of some form from any of the four individuals that I sent a message to. Praetorian was the only person to mention he would not respond to someone [and I evidently didn't even message him]. Even if it was a, "Uh, Ran... go read stuff again." I'd have thought that years of conversation with the individuals I messaged would have merited something, even if it was a mocking of my inability to read that the PM needed to be through the forum. 

Ignoring people flat out is never a good policy. Sometimes people fail to read something properly. I failed to read it. Sometimes people are going to be idiots. I was an idiot. I feel I'd continue to be an idiot if I wanted to associated with people that opted to ignore, rather than take the few moments to provide some level of response. 

Edited by Ran Iji
Wanted to make it clear that I did not message Praetorian.

7 minutes ago, supernal said:

Copy me on it please.

Does the "read" receipt match up with the time that you were processed via Discord? If so my assumption is that messages were likely opened at the same time and once processed there'd be no need to update you over PM, but I'll let the mods you messaged speak for themselves 

It's all good, shit ain't fb, or anything.

7 hours ago, Malum said:

>=[

^this, but only because I was using it as a replacement to YIM in regards to keeping or rather getting back in touch with people after so long. So not being able to do that semi-regularly will take some adjustment again, as, it can sometimes take me weeks to complete a single post due to a hectic real life and it is almost nothing to have an app open, pop in for a bit and then peace on the quick. However, as someone who understands the desire to make it more 'for those who are using the site for what it is for' (etc) I have no complaints and actually think the idea is a pretty solid one, and wish it the best of luck on being used for that, even if it means I won't be in it anymore, sadly.

10 minutes ago, Ran Iji said:

Thanks for the reply. I PMed, since it was a matter of it being on Discord, as it was done at the first Discord Channel. My mistake, I was an idiot. At the same time, it would have been nice to receive a response of some form from any of the four individuals that I sent a message to. Praetorian was the only person to mention he would not respond to someone. Even if it was a, "Uh, Ran... go read stuff again." I'd have thought that years of conversation with the individuals I messaged would have merited something, even if it was a mocking of my inability to read that the PM needed to be through the forum. 

Ignoring people flat out is never a good policy. Sometimes people fail to read something properly. I failed to read it. Sometimes people are going to be idiots. I was an idiot. I feel I'd continue to be an idiot if I wanted to associated with people that opted to ignore, rather than take the few moments to provide some level of response. 

Message: "Make me a member, kthx, bbygrl". Received yesterday at 4:23 PM ET. 

That my lack of response to the above "joke message" (as I took it) in a period approximating 24 hours is being taken as a "I'm clearly being ignored" is precisely why I tell people that Discord is not a primary means of contact for staff, and especially for me. 

If you get really concerned something like, "did my message get through?" or "am I missing something?", rather than the above message alone with zero follow up on the discord or the server, will be exponentially more effective at netting an actual reply. At least from me. I can't speak to the other mods and how quickly they intend to respond to messages like that but I want to set the expectation for me at least. 

To put it on the level, I was not ignoring you, I just took your clearly (to me) not serious message as not serious and figured you would send something serious later on - at the time I was processing other members and updating our tracker so just didn't pay it much mind. It didn't even have a question for me to answer. Like if you make a joke and I don't laugh don't take that as a slight on you or anything, and also don't take me taking your jokes as jokes and not as serious messages as a slight either. I think with those disclaimers in mind we can avoid unnecessary friction or miscommunication.

Edited by supernal

3 minutes ago, proximity to corpses said:

^this, but only because I was using it as a replacement to YIM in regards to keeping or rather getting back in touch with people after so long. So not being able to do that semi-regularly will take some adjustment again, as, it can sometimes take me weeks to complete a single post due to a hectic real life and it is almost nothing to have an app open, pop in for a bit and then peace on the quick. However, as someone who understands the desire to make it more 'for those who are using the site for what it is for' (etc) I have no complaints and actually think the idea is a pretty solid one, and wish it the best of luck on being used for that, even if it means I won't be in it anymore, sadly.

As a quick side note (in addition to an appreciation for the overall sentiment), your profile meets the requirement (from what I can tell on a quick review of your post content) so you'd be able to access the server

Four people, no replies. All of which, aside from one were talking in the chat at the time. It's Discord, the message gets through. This isn't two soup cans tied together with a string. It's okay. This is what happens when a policy such as 'ignore without a response' is implemented. I was an idiot, and I'm fine with holding that badge with honor. It's not often that I read something wrong to this degree. 

Looking through both PMs and DMs I don't appear to have any from you, Ryan, with regard to requesting access to the discord. The only PM I didn't respond to was Stone's and that's because by the time I looked at it, someone had already given him access. 

**Edit, it appears I didn't respond to Raze's request although we did give her access. That's my bad.

13 minutes ago, Paroxysm said:

Here's your reply. :smirk:

Thank you for replying. 

2 minutes ago, Praetorian said:

Looking through both PMs and DMs I don't appear to have any from you, Ryan, with regard to requesting access to the discord. The only PM I didn't respond to was Stone's and that's because by the time I looked at it, someone had already given him access.

@Praetorian, I had evidently messaged @Paroxysm instead. Silly P names getting mixed up. I'll edit the post in which I had used your name. 

1 hour ago, Ran Iji said:

Four people, no replies. All of which, aside from one were talking in the chat at the time. It's Discord, the message gets through. This isn't two soup cans tied together with a string. It's okay. This is what happens when a policy such as 'ignore without a response' is implemented. I was an idiot, and I'm fine with holding that badge with honor. It's not often that I read something wrong to this degree. 

I don't think misunderstanding or missing something makes you an idiot, but by the same token I won't be told that I'm not doing my job for not responding within a 24 hour window to a facetious (to me) message on a method of communication I've repeatedly stated (personally and in the rules) is not the best way to reach me. I can admit mistakes were made no problem but I won't be made to feel like a heel for it

Edited by supernal

14 minutes ago, supernal said:

I can admit mistakes were made no problem but I won't be made to feel like a heel for it

Not trying to make you feel like a heel or the bad guy. It's why I've been calling myself an idiot nonstop to take all of the responsibility for it. 

3 minutes ago, Ran Iji said:

Not trying to make you feel like a heel or the bad guy. It's why I've been calling myself an idiot nonstop to take all of the responsibility for it. 

My bad on that then. When my arms go akimbo it's sometimes hard to pull them back down