Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Voting has reset for the month of October. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

1) Have you ever revamped a character or setting?

A) If so, why did you choose to and how much of the total content do you feel was changed?

B) If not, is it a conscious decision, and why?

2) Do you feel that revamping is either encouraged or discouraged in a social game like text-based RPing, whether in continuity or any other aspects?

There's a lot of play to this question. For a new character, anything not stated can be 'revamped' as it has yet to be addressed. I'd advise not writing yourself into a corner by abusing this to mary sue. RPs can take a while to conclude. While you should have a concrete idea of who your character is at the moment, there's nothing wrong with carefully considering alterations.

That means not seeing something you think is cool and immediately adding it to your character. This is how your OC becomes you RPing a cosplay character. The mileage may vary from those that get the reference.

On an absolute line. I consider canonized RP to be set in stone. Anything established about your character in canon officially affects other characters. Attempting to change that is a bitch move. I would call someone out on it.

11 hours ago, Off Topic said:

1) Have you ever revamped a character or setting?

A) If so, why did you choose to and how much of the total content do you feel was changed?

B) If not, is it a conscious decision, and why?

2) Do you feel that revamping is either encouraged or discouraged in a social game like text-based RPing, whether in continuity or any other aspects?

In terms of characters, I think that revamping to the point of rewriting is kind of useless. Just create another character. There's not really a ton of point in taking an old character and changing them into something else. Small changes to bring the character up to date, changing some outdated details, or giving the character a bit more "flare" is completely rational. 

For settings, I like the "Don't fix what isn't broken" approach. I only revamp something if it's consistently not working or not achieving its purpose. Usually this is because the lore is out of date and hasn't been updated in a long time. Jaistlyn's revamp of Yh'mi was well done and I'm currently revamping Ursa Madeum's lore article so that it's not just completely outdated. Things change and are in a continual flow of motion, so what worked 2 years ago might not work now. 

I don't think that it's either encourage or discouraged, especially when it comes to characters. For the most part people will do what they want with their character and people don't really care that much. Some people like to explain the character revamp through canon changes, some don't. Their character, their business. Canon settings is a bit different, since if it's working and people are attached to it there will probably be some resistance to simply up and changing the landscape and environment. But if it's not working and no one is using it, then I doubt anyone would really have much of an opinion on someone revamping the lore.

My two cents on the subject.