Gaheris

BLACKSMITHS - SteelHammer Forge

steelh10.jpg

Proprietor & Blacksmith - Vulcan 'SteelHammer' Godric
Blacksmith Specialty: 
Vulcan Godric is known for: Crafting the strongest of items through mastery of smithing.

vulcan12.jpg

About SteelHammer Forge:

• SteelHammer Forge is open to everyone in need of unique, customisable items and equipment, ranging from: personalised weapons, armour, shields, tunics, riding equipment (saddles etc), furniture and jewellry. Note: personal requests may be granted, just speak with Vulcan Godric.
• Depending on the level of item/s requested, Vulcan Godric may present the customer with a quest of equal skill, in order to (a) acquire the necessary materials/gemstones/magical artifacts desired for an items creation and (b) test the skills/abilities of the requesting user, to ensure items of certain powers do not fall into the hands of those too weak to wield them.
Further testing via various means, may also be conducted by Vulcan Godric in order to garner a better psychological understanding of a customer, to ensure these items of power do not fall into the wrong hands.

traini10.jpg

• To the rear of SteelHammer Forge, is the Training Yard. This area may be used for the various means: Testing pre-requisite by Vulcan Godric prior to receiving items of powers. Combat training in solo/pairs/groups, by any member of the public. General social/drinking hang out spot for any member of the public (Note: Barrels of Ale available to all paying customers).

WELCOME!  

Edited by Gaheris

James Eredas entered the forge, seeking its proprietor. Whilst traveling through the lands of the Kadian Empire, he had finished plans for upgrading one of his weapons, seeing a need for modifications.

Now all he needed was an experienced smith to look over the plans and implement them. The daemonslayer awaited patiently after briefly calling out to see of anybody was here.

Sat at one of the stone tables that is stationed in the south-east corner of the training yard, situated outside at the back of the forge, Vulcan was hunched over a half-eaten forge-roasted chicken laying upon a misshapened plate. In his left hand a pewter pint tankard made with scrap metals filled three quarters with his special home brew ale, a reasonably blunt knife in his right, chewing through chicken meat and grizzle. He stopped chewing his food and perked up as the male voice of a potential customer could be heard calling out, echoing off the stone walls. Standing up and leaving the rest of his food on the table ready to come back to later, he made sure to carry his tankard of ale with him as he walked through the doorway to the forge. Taking some heavy mouthfuls of ale as he walked towards the man with the dark brown hair, stopping in front of him before using his sleeve to wipe the driblets of food and ale from his hefty beard. Looking down as he towered over the man, he smiled, resounding deep voice booming out unapologetically "Welcome friend, how may Vulcan be of service?"

Edited by Gaheris

"I apologize if I've interrupted your meal", James greeted the smith politely, his voice low, but firm. "I take it you are Vulcan Godric?"

He gave the smith the martial salute of his clan, gauntleted right fist in the palm of his gauntleted left hand, both out in front of his chest.

Looking up at the large blacksmith, James stepped into the forgelight so the other man could more clearly see him. Despite his young, and, quite frankly, handsome features, the look in the Asian man's eyes suggested that he was no new adventurer or wet-behind-the-ears warrior, and upon closer inspection, neither did his arms and armor. Although a well-worn travelling cloak covered most of James, what Vulcan could see suggested ornamentation, the craftsmanship of an artisan, personalized war-gear for somebody who was either rich, powerful, or both. Pouches, and a bound, chained tome lay at one side, whilst a longsword with winged handguards lay sheathed at the other.

Reaching within his cloak, James withdrew a large baton-like object, and held it out for Vulcan to see.

"My name is James Eredas. I an interested in commissioning you for modifications and upgrades to this weapon" he explained, demonstrating the weapon by pressing a button, and at once the baton extended from both ends into a double-ended spear.

Telescopic Composite Spear: The Composite Spear James possesses is a specially crafted, double-sided and retractable polearm weapon. Around 18 inches long when fully retracted, the Composite Spear reaches over five feet when fully extended via a button, and is tipped on both sides by a one-inch long titanium spike, Portions of the spear's composite ceramic and metal "shaft" is grooved for better grip and aerodynamics, allowing the spear to be thrown with a fair amount of accuracy. Like all of James's weapons, it has been imbued to resist extreme heat, and is quite sturdy.

"I have ideas, but I need a smith to work with them. Are you keen?"

Edited by Fierach

"naah naah naah don't you be worryin' bout me an my food lad, there is plen'y more meat to be feasted upon this day, so don't you be worryin' bout that now" responded Vulcan in his deep, common almost northern tongue. "I am indeed him, how may I be of service?" Vulcan took another swig of his ale as he raised an eyebrow in confusion at this customers apparent need to salute at him.

He watched as the young lad walked into the light, making note of his apparel and weapons carried as this man clearly had spent a bit of money on his gear. Lowering his tankard, he looked on in curiosity as the gentleman reached into his cloak to withdraw something before returning focus back to the mans face, as the man introduced himself. Vulcan nodded in welcome and returned his gaze to the object of their attention, as Mr.Eredas held up the baton and pressed a button, releasing the full length of the weapon. 

"Ahhh a telescopic spear! I ain't seen one of those for a while.. d'ya mind?" Vulcan asked, as he reached across with his free hand and grabbed the extended spear from James grasp. Giving it a quick spin, the spear felt tiny in his rather large hands, but giving it a quick once over he could tell that it was indeed a fine piece of crafted weaponry. Nodding along as he listened to James's request for modifications to this spear, he paused briefly as he noticed that there really wasn't nothing much wrong with this weapon. "So wha' you wan't doing to it? Seems to me to be a fine, solid little spear".

Vulcan held out the spear in his palm for James to retrieve it back from him, awaiting his answer.

James saluted Vulcan as a sign of respect, from one master of his craft, to another. 

It was an Asian martial artist thing. 

The daemonslayer watched as the smith took and looked over the weapon. 

"It is pretty solid" James confirmed as he took back the weapon, and then started to point out aspects of it that he wanted changed or improved.

"It is good as a fall back or surprise weapon, but it needs to be sturdier." he tapped the shaft, where hairline fractures were in the ceramic and composite housing. The telescoping nature of the weapon meant that the shaft was naturally a little more hollow (and fragile) as a result, and long usage had begun to take its toll. Not to mention that James indicated the rest of the spear's parts also had to be tougher as well. Regular maintenance could only go so far in preserving it.

"I also need blade-catchers about three-fourths down at either end" James ran his hand along the grooved weapon, stopping at where he wanted the embellishment. James wanted hooked protrusions that could catch blades, or else add a bit of focused force if he swung the spear at somebody. 

"And the tips of the spear need reworking and lengthening. While its effective at piercing into something, armor or not, it does not penetrate very deeply, or cause much damage." A larger, barbed spearhead would do all of that better then the exceedingly pointed, but small titanium spike both ends featured at the moment.

It all would've been relatively simple additions for a regular spear, but the telescoping spear required an expert's hand to improve it amidst its complicated internal mechanisms.

Vulcan watched as James took the telescopic spear back from him, paying attention to the pointing and information being provided by this customer. Vulcan made mental notes of the hairline fractures James pointed at and the request for the weapon to be made sturdier, with positioning for some 'blade-catchers' as James called them, otherwise known as simply hooks to the smith. Finally the request for the tips to be lengthened and barbed were also simple enough work for Vulcan, though this would require him to remove the tips and forge new ones with barbs that would not catch on the mechanism when being retracted into the spears smaller state. Vulcan simply nodded and made 'MmmHmmm' sounds in agreeance. 

"Aye wouldn't be much of an issue. Day o' two to get done with the other jobs I got going on.. that alright with you lad?" Vulcan questioned James? "Also... I could do with you running an errand to a nearby spot in order to pick me up some material if that's alright with you?". Vulcan continued to explain about this errand, "There is a small mine just outside of Shrine City here in the Cold South, well, it is more like a tiny cave really.. regardless, inside are little oval shaped stones of a rare metal that I need boy. Have a lot of special minerals and fragments of gemstones within that help with the strength of the ore I work with. Mind if you just go grab me a couple? They're quite heavy mind you so depending on your strength, I reckon you'd manage one or two on yer own like... much appreciated"

Vulcan held out his hand in acceptance of the spear once more and finished off his ale, releasing a proper deep sounding belch, one of the sort that come from deep within your belly. With ale froth lining the his lip and underbelly of his moustache, he awaited the reply from this James Eredas.

"I've no problem with that time frame, or getting the stones", James affirmed, retracting and handing back the spear to the smith to be worked on. "Do you happen to have any examples on hand I can see to know what I'm looking for?"

Hopefully Vulcan wouldn't send him off on a material run just like that. Stones only made up, you know, everything on the ground everywhere.

"How much will the modifications cost?" James didn't think that the errand would be the only thing required.

It made sense for this James to inquire more about the oval shaped mineral stones, after all, for most people outside of the smithing community, these stones would have been ignored as nothing of value. He turned and walked over to his forge, kicking a few bits of mineral rocks and wood around looking to see if he had any left, before bending down to pick something up & returning and proceeding to shows the man. "Ere.. this is only a tidbit of whats left.. but you are looking for an egg shaped rock with this pattern upon its surface." Vulcan rotated the last remaining quarter of this carbon coloured fragment of mineral stone, the scale like pattern on the outer surface really visible and distinct, to the point that spotting an unbroken egg shaped stone of the same kind should now be a relatively easy task. "Happy? I'll be waiting ere for you lad.. if I am not in the forge I shall more than likely be eating, drinking or sleeping out back there again.. just come find me when your done alright?"

Vulcan smiled and turned, not waiting for a response as he gently tossed and rolled the mineral stone fragment into a pile by the forge, walking back through the doorway and returning to the remainder of his now cold chicken, taking the telescopic spear with him. He paused momentarily to empty some more ale from his barrel into his tanker and sat back down to his feast, laying the spear out on the table next to him, ready for him to have a closer look at upon finishing his meal.

James studied the rock for a moment, memorizing its texture, its look, its weight for its size, and nodded in response to Vulcan.

"I'll be back" James affirmed and turned to leave, promptly fucking off in search of this cave. 

He'd probably ask a local miner or two for the direction of any small mines outside Shrine City, barring that, he'd buy a geography map and find the oversized hole himself. It shouldn't take him long at all really. A simple fetch quest.

A quest that probably had giant monsters infesting this cave or something, but a simple fetch quest nonetheless.