Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Voting has reset for the month of October. Valucre is in the top 10 but we aim for the top 3 for maximum visibility when people land on the home page of the topsite. If you want to help new members discover Valucre, vote for us daily.

Off Topic

How much do you play out your characters or scenes?

Do you ever vocalize the dialogue or read anything out loud as a part of the process in making a reply? --Why or why not? If yes, how long do you think you've been doing that?

Do you ever act things out physically instead of relying on imagination alone? If so, does it help at all? If you don't act anything out, why not?

I usually don't vocalize anything while on point, such as sitting at the desk going typey-typey. I guess I just realize that I'll never sound like my characters just so, be it by voice or accent, which is even more so given my cache of wo-man characters.

However, sometimes I'll catch myself driving when stuff and the stuff of stuff pops into my head as stuff tends to do and all of a sudden I'm having a conversation with myself as one of my characters. I might come up with a whole new line or reflect on lines since spoken. That helps character development to an extent. Guess I've been character-ranting in the car since I first obtained one to call my own.

Even more seldom is acting things out. I reserve that for combat posts if I just really can't feel what I'm doing or what my opponent is doing. I think a couple of times I might have walked the home pretending to be one of my characters, but I was usually alone, generally bored and potentially under the influence.

I've always enjoyed acting, not that I ever do it, but my characters live inside my head and that's where they should stay. I believe that there is an inherent danger in physically acting out too much when it comes to one's characters. Take, for instance, Gratchius, OT. Imagine him taking over me. 

Probably also why I don't dance.

Read my post out loud? Yes.

Best way to catch errors that the spell checker doesn't.

Act things out? Sometimes.

I do research online to make sure a word means what I think it means. Or to tentatively prove or disprove the physical possibility of something if it's not hand waved by powers. I really don't want to be the idiot who copy pastas from a manga and assumes job done.

I do the same as Akiris, read out loud and research the meaning of words to make sure I got it right before I post. 

I also physically act out moves if it's a fight scene, just so I can determine whether or not the move is actually plausible, I do this especially for RM fights. This also helps me better describe the movement in writing since I get a first person perspective of how it's done. Though for the more difficult or acrobatic moves, I'm unfortunately not able to do those, yet. 

Otherwise it's all in my head, the dialogue, the scenery, everything. I've tried acting out scenes in my room before, but I usually just end up feeling stupid and quitting half way, and it's never really helped me in any way to do it. 

Mostly do stuff in my head. I will read aloud to catch errors or make sure it sounds right, but even then I do that rarely. I will play dialogue exchanges in my mind to see how it sounds and feels, especially when doing more important scenes.

I rarely "act" anything out. Mostly when I am trying to get a handle on a combat related post (T1 or RP), as sometimes acting out the motion both helps with picturing (and thus describing) it or with the plausibility of the maneuver.