supernal

Valucre Discord downsize

The Valucre Discord is being reduced to announcements, Dice Rolling and staff run events (like the D&D channel). 

The short answer to "why" is mostly "because I don't feel like maintaining it". Since it was made, the Valucre Discord has been an experiment for the site. I don't doubt the ability of myself or my staff to run a successful chat server (or pretty much anything for that matter) but the question has always been "at what cost", and the amount of work that goes into it now is enough to dissuade me from the endeavor altogether, let alone consider doing more to bring it up to the level of where I think it needs to be at to be satisfied with the attempt.

This nearly year long experiment has served to remind me why the last few attempts at chat concluded in the same way, and convinced me that effort is better spent on the site proper. The relationship between Valucre and Discord is such that Valucre feeds Discord a great deal (people that had never heard of or used Discord installed the client just to be able to interact with the community) and Discord feeds Valucre very little, with a good portion of that being negative (more reports and incidents, and of a more severe nature, in its 9 months than the site as a whole in the past few years).

Some of you will disagree, which is fine. Discord is one of many IM services and Valucre one of many roleplay sites. Members are free to go wherever they please and do whatever they want outside of Valucre. They're free to self-organize their own conversations however they want without Valucre's explicit involvement and I honestly think it's better for everyone that way. Maybe I'll even see some of you around on servers whose content I don't actively have to concern myself with!

Hey, it’s not like Valchat aggregated at lot of needless stress, work, and bullshit to you guys or anything. 

Oh.

Fu— (Excuse me, gotta keep with the filter) Fluffernutter.

Wait.

It did! :o

Ah well! If y’all think this is the right move, it probably is.

Well then.

I cannot feign any sort of surprise from this announcement.

On top of the tighter fist you tend to run this site with as of late, alongside the already act first, investigate later method I felt you chose to handle moderation (No offense to the moderation team, who always at least acted on both reports and disputes in a timely manner.). It was very clear you were never about that "Moderation." life.

Whether it's host pressure or simply you wanting to have a specific makeup, your moderation was...Tightfisted to put it politely. Taking reports from what I felt were the smallest complaints whether they felt to the justification of the chat or not. (Choosing the chat to have the same rules as the forum, even though it was offsite, kinda didn't help there.)

That isn't to say I didn't appreciate the chat, oh no. The fact that this is one of many attempts to try it shows you at least wanted to give it a shot. However, In my eyes, your deadset approach to control offsite chatter similar to the forum is going to cause you the stress that you had attempting to run this. You simply cannot moderate a chatroom like a Forum, especially with how things move about in them.

So no. I'm not surprised at all you closed it, as it was pretty clear you felt moderating it (In the way you chose to.) was stressful, and you are not wrong.

I mean, now we all just go back to General Chatter???

I appreciate that you guys gave it a shot, but it's completely understandable that trying to moderate a chat in any way shape or form is way too stressful for our little community run site. I don't think anybody can expect that much energy for something that has proven itself to be a little toxic.

Chatrooms are never-ending pits lined with teeth, hungry for your attention.

I wish they could be used to facilitate collaborative writing or working on projects, but I know better than to expect that. They might start out that way but always turn into sociability for sociability's sake--nothing more than that--and if you fall for that trick then you'll never ever get anything done.

My sentiments reflect most here, you guys are better off without that added stress of the chat.

Just because there's isn't a "Val Chat", it doesn't mean people can't use discord to contact people or have unrelated chats. 

I agree with Trex, as well. Too tightly wound on a client many people use will cause strain and stress, not to mention getting so many different people with different attitudes and mannerisms in the same place will cause problems. People clash, personalities don't mix well, it's just a disaster waiting to happen. 

Good on you guys, rid of that stress. 

The chat wasn't a complete waste. As Supernal said, it was always ever an experiment, and experiment we did. Requiring IC content was a good thought, and I liked the results overall, even if a few members did only put in a token effort. It also spurred a good number of discussions regarding the Code of Conduct and how it could be improved.

1 hour ago, Trexasle said:

Well then.

I cannot feign any sort of surprise from this announcement.

On top of the tighter fist you tend to run this site with as of late, alongside the already act first, investigate later method I felt you chose to handle moderation (No offense to the moderation team, who always at least acted on both reports and disputes in a timely manner.). It was very clear you were never about that "Moderation." life.

Whether it's host pressure or simply you wanting to have a specific makeup, your moderation was...Tightfisted to put it politely. Taking reports from what I felt were the smallest complaints whether they felt to the justification of the chat or not. (Choosing the chat to have the same rules as the forum, even though it was offsite, kinda didn't help there.)

That isn't to say I didn't appreciate the chat, oh no. The fact that this is one of many attempts to try it shows you at least wanted to give it a shot. However, In my eyes, your deadset approach to control offsite chatter similar to the forum is going to cause you the stress that you had attempting to run this. You simply cannot moderate a chatroom like a Forum, especially with how things move about in them.

So no. I'm not surprised at all you closed it, as it was pretty clear you felt moderating it (In the way you chose to.) was stressful, and you are not wrong.

I disagree, actually, and I'm not sure how much experience you have to justify the assertion. I believe you lack the perspective of the mod team, primarily because you do not have access to the privileged information that we do regarding incident reports and their details. Altogether, we received less reports and less observed infractions as time went on, which more than likely correlates with "bad customers" getting themselves removed over time, as well as strengthening our 'tightfistedness'. That is the system at work, and that's not a bad thing. I don't see any evidence to support that running the chat as we did, as we do the forum, was the "incorrect route". That isn't to say it's the only route, or the only correct way to do things, but ultimately the few complaints directed at us were from a handful of people, most of whom had received moderation, which requires we take their opinions with a grain of salt.

We were also completely transparent from the outset that the chat would be moderated strictly. It was one of the first statements we made, and has been a part of the announcement channel since inception. And as Alexei can attest above, there's a reason for that.

That said, the reports we did receive from the discord created unnecessary overhead, and we had more than a few "high profile" ones that required more attention than even some of the forum ones do, hence Supernal referring to the reports in the announcements as one of the reasons for shutting the "official" server down. The chat is being shut down by choice, not because we feel it is necessary; its a decision that has always been on the table, and has nothing to do with the chat being a failure ultimately, and everything to do with, as Supernal said, a lack of interest in maintaining it.

38 minutes ago, Red the Ambivalent said:

not to mention getting so many different people with different attitudes and mannerisms in the same place will cause problems. People clash, personalities don't mix well, it's just a disaster waiting to happen. 

Everything would be perfect if people would just opt to not be jerks to one another. :smirk:

Just now, Alexei said:

@Paroxysm

Not entirely sure what I can attest to. Wasn't a part of any val chats, as I find them particularly unnecessary for my needs. Though to be fair, I only associate with a few people.

2 hours ago, Alexei said:

LOL

Given how every chat attempt made has ended the same way. I am hardly surprised.

I was under the impression that you said this because you hand an understanding of the drama that ran rampant in past Valucre chat attempts, hence requiring strict moderation for the chat.