Mickey Flash

Royal Birth Day

"Relax I can discharge it with this emp grenade" I catch the grenade showing her the grenade so she can be at ease "besides I know what I'm doing I've been doing this for years you don't think I know how to kill someone without blowing something up? I designed it to shoot into the side of the person and detonate and only kill them and not harm anything else. Besides who are you to judge me? I'm most likely the best guard you have." I look over at the stairs real quick then look back at her

@Mickey Flash

Edited by Redhood

Patiently she waited, knowing that the hour was drawing closer for the queen's appearance. She would require all that Jennifer was able tp give, and so that is what she shall have. There is nothing else left for her in this life now, so the lich would make certain that no harm would befall the royal woman.

It was easy for her to be so reckless with her own life, as her kind of undeath came with a strange condition towards it. When she awoke from her slumber, Ms. Mollins found a glowing amethyst sitting on her chest. This gem was about the size of a fist, and the red woman told her that was her phylactery. As long as it is kept safe, Jennifer may never fear death again. 

Since she wished to give it an effective hiding place, she chose the one place people knew she would never be at. Placing the amethyst inside her sarcophagus, she enchanted it with a myriad of curses and binding magics. Now even if someone were to find where she once rested, no one would be able to open it without a considerable amount of effort, and without her knowing of it.

When the queen reentered the room, Jennifer gave a curtsy. "Are you ready to join the party, Your Grace? I am curious to know if I may still feel the joys of merriment and jubilation."

There was always a chance she would never know the happiness of the living. If so, it did not bother her, for she had her purposes in life. Here she would live contently, serving her queen and moving on just as the red woman named Ember asked her to. Outside of this place, she would fulfill another kind of purpose, one instilled to her by the strange runed man who came to her before her sister did.

Fredrick nodded back at the queen. He was respectful towards Roman's decisions, but he liked to be important. He walked out the door after listening to Skacharm's rules. Looking around he noticed someone messing with a bomb. "Remind me not to step over there," Fredrick said to himself. That can't be safe. He walked over to the conversation. 

20 hours ago, Redhood said:

Besides who are you to judge me? I'm most likely the best guard you have.

"That is pretty rude. You wouldn't want the queen to hear that you were being disrespectful to our guests now would you? Considering I am one of her advisers," Fredrick said mockingly. Fredrick is going to love boasting about this. Fredrick also wanted to seem important to the queen. Catching someone would definitely make the queen proud. Maybe he would even get a reward. What could the prize be? Thousands of questions were popping into his mind. He was getting over excited. He would have to check back up on the queen soon to tell her he did not abandon her.

I look at Fredrick with an annoyed look but he couldn't tell because of my helmet "mind your own business pal" I continue tossing the grenade up and down "Last thing I need is some guy annoying me while I'm on the job"  I catch the grenade and put it in the side pocket of my belt "So why don't you find someone that isn't a guard to harass" I continue my patrol around the ballroom observing thoroughly now

@SixShots22

"That's what I was hoping you would say," Fredrick said with a smug look on his face. That's not what Fredrick was expecting him to say, considering he was one of the queen's guards. Fredrick thought he should tell one of the queen's Ladies in Waiting. He looked around and saw one. Fredrick waved his hand at her and ran up to her. "I would like you to report something to the queen. One of her guards have a very rude attitude towards the guests, and the adviser. I would like her to be informed immediately," Fredrick said politely. He was going to follow her all the way to the queen, so he gets even more credit. He was so ready for this. He was going to get all the praise he deserved. Maybe he was getting too exited, but he was too hopeful to care.

In the ballroom there crowded dozens upon dozens of nobles, servants, and merchants alike. From their necks, wrists, ears, and hair there dangled elaborate jewels. Wrapped around their bodies were either the quality clothes of the upper class or the plain white of a servant. A well-trained eye would see amongst them the occasional flash of hidden steel or a gleam of armor under layers of resplendent silks. These were the queen's guardians. An even superior eye could see the concentration and calculating glances upon the faces of those plotting the positions of guards and exits. These were the queen's enemies: spies and assassins hired by foreign powers to strike or gather information in the queen's most vulnerable moment. But only an unnatural eye enhanced by magic or technology such as his own would notice the prowling wolf among them. Especially not when he looks like one of them. Everything about him was chosen to blend in with the crowd: from the expensive suit of a court fop to his blank and nonchalant expression. This, of course, was none other than the assassin Jaron. The Iron Crusader.

Prior to the party, he had made sure that no weapons could be seen from any angle but obscured by the fabric he was clad in were the tools of his trade: a small switchblade, a poisoned needle, a vial of an unknown but predictably harmful substance, and strange contraptions with no immediately discernible purpose. Jaron wore special clothes commissioned to hide thin plates of high-end steel underneath should he ever need armor. He had taken the utmost care in travelling to the palace as well: walking into a public building (a library, namely) as a wary traveler and coming out a wealthy man with servants tending to him and a coach waiting outside. Now he was in the queen's palace: a shining jewel that sparkled and rose high above the rooftops of lesser buildings. Welcoming though it seemed, it was the territory of the enemy. His mission.

He recalled the evening before. He was reclining in a taproom when the smoke signals came, spiraling into the air over somewhere in the city. Meet at Dashkanchay Library two hours hence, they said in a language formed by an ancient guild of assassins. Five times the message repeated. Five times Jaron studied it. The message had asked him to meet his would-be client in the library. So he did. Night found him sitting next to a man in a golden mask in comfortable leather chairs. How did you know to find me here? Jaron had asked. It's who you are. You come when called for, came the reply. I'm not talking about the library. I mean in this city. Then the man smiled—or Jaron imagined he did. I'm talking about the city as well. You came here seeking a particular thing. I can tell you it is not here. But you weren't called here because of that. You came here because of fate, if you believe in it. Jaron betrayed no interest. When he didn't respond, the stranger continued. It is fortunate that you arrived here when you did. I have a job for you and I need it to be done by tomorrow. The assassin rose, as if to leave. You should have found a way to contact me earlier. I take more than one day to prepare for my assassinations. The masked man then took out a large bag of gold and threw it on the table between them. Jaron didn't need to be a merchant to tell from the clink of coins that it was a large amount. Even so, it was no reason to put himself in danger in a mission without proper preparation. But the man wasn't done. Fortunately, I have already prepared.

Now Jaron found himself in the middle of this crowded room. The noise and brightness around him made him uncomfortable but still he diligently observed the threads of energy around him, looking for the energy of warriors—warriors that may be dangerous. He wondered how the people around him could be so carefree even knowing that the queen had many enemies. There were sure to be enemy spies and perhaps others who want to kill the queen. He questioned the wisdom of attacking her at this point in time when they must have many guards ready to jump in to block any attempts on her life on her first public appearance. They would only do something so dangerous if they were ready. But so was he. Where there was conflict, there was chaos and chaos would erupt at any moment. He was just waiting for that moment to strike.

“Of course! The Queen’s ball must simply be bursting with eligible bachelors!” She giggled girlishly, theatrically swinging her hips. “The Queen is young and unmarried and beautiful! They usual piranhas will attend, trying to charm her with their vicious claws.” She slipped her hand into Jeremiah’s awaiting arm- and smirked coyly behind her fan.

“Though, I don’t suppose cousin Jeremiah would be pleased to hear you’re looking for eligible bachelors when he’s right here- waiting to woo you!”

Jeremiah awarded this with a satisfying chortle and an annoyed glare. “Lana! Not so loud!”

She could almost just pretend they were simply three young nobles on their way to a ball.

For once, Anna was grateful for her cousin’s steadying arm as the glided into the ballroom, she on his left, and Lila on his right, the very image of dignity and elegance. Steadily, she flared her bronze in a protective bubble around the three- to appear normal. She could feel sweat beading on her upper lip.

The room was packed with the flower of Elandron’s nobility- ladies twittered, floating along in dazzling colors, the lords grouped around in suits in a range of colors- from dark to light. The room itself was nothing to scoff at, gilded in gold- yet it was simple. Sophisticated. Guards lined the walls, daunting in their red and black uniforms. She was sure there were a few mingling in the crowds as well. The whole room glittered in deep, vibrant colors.

The only ones who wore white were the servants.

“...Lana” Jeremiah murmured gently, coaxing her out of her stupor- handing her a glass of glimmering amber liquid. “Lord Channary is the nephew of Lady Ci’Xi.” He nodded towards an alluring young man wrapped in an exquisite navy suit, who promptly waved and started to make his way over.

“Quite the reputation for being an insolent young man. He frequents clubs very often- but also has a very loose tongue”

“Ah! Jerry!” The young man bellowed merrily embracing patting his back.”We were thinking you weren’t going to come! Where’s Aly?”

“And you bring two fine young women along with you” He brushed golden curls back from startling green eyes- boldly staring at Aiyanna. She burned a little bit of her electrum, tugging on his curiosity- and her on her docile naivete.

“I haven’t seen you before,” This Lord Channary spoke bluntly, his words slurring together- upon closer inspection, his cheeks were definitely flushed with alcohol. The Queen hadn’t even made her appearance yet, and this man was already drunk.

“Pray, won’t you introduce me?” He whispered, swiping another glass from one of the passing servants.

“This, is my cousin, Lady Lanala Insidia and her friend--” Jerry started only to be hushed by Lord Channary swiping her fan from her hand.

“No dancers yet?” He scoffed, handing it back, “Can’t be helped, I suppose, you just arrived.”

“You couldn't have arrived any sooner than us, My Lord, but you’re already so very pink.” The Lord chortled into his drink- half sloshing onto his shoes.

“Only from the presence of these beautiful ladies, yourself included" His tone was silky as he grabbed her bare, ungloved hand- and pressed a kiss onto her ringed fingers. Aiyanna recoiled from the foreign sensation- sorely wishing to inject him with the mercury sloshing around the center stones.

“I’ll take the first dance then, Lady Insidia. Look forward to it.” And with that- he released her hand and ambled away- only to attack another friend- and another lady.

Well…” Jeremiah trailed off, uncertainly. Tugging Lila closer, to him. “That was Channary- I’ll lead Lila and check up on you in a little bit.”

As was the plan, but he chewed on his lip- as if uncertain, “Do be careful, don’t do anything… stupid.”

And she was alone- an unchaperoned young lady, new to society. Picking one of the smaller table designed to seat two, placed on the fringes of the ball room. She had to burn pewter, and stepped as delicately as she could towards the seat- taking her cues from the floating nobility. She watched, and smiled at the curious young men and women who smiled and looked her way.

Aiyanna waited- observing the Nobility spin their webs, she watched the cracks and factions form as elegantly as they walked- mostly, she waited for the Queen, nibbling on cheese and olives that the servants had placed at her table.

Edited by LikelyMissFortune

Erin shrugged to herself as Orion rather abruptly excused himself for whatever reason, leaving her alone at the window once more. Deciding there was nothing more to see outside at the moment, she resumed her patrol around the balcony, noting that there was some sort of confrontation taking place below between one of the guards and a pair of well-dressed individuals. But that was not all, as guests were now flowing into the room very quickly, some hitting the liquor almost immediately. Erin scoffed at that, having very rarely allowed herself alcoholic drinks in the past, the only exceptions being very special occasions or when the local water supply was just too putrid.

As she turned another corner, she continued examining the people in the room below. From the balcony, she'd have a much clearer shot at any trouble makers than she would on the ground floor, although she had to make sure to exercise caution in that regard. It wouldn't look good for her to accidentally assassinate the ambassador of some powerful foreign nation because she thought he was reaching for a knife when all he was recovering was a handkerchief. Not that she actually had a problem with sparking a war, but being imprisoned or hung for it would kind take the fun out of it.

Her attention eventually came upon a young noblewoman who had taken a two-seat table alone in one of the corners. That seemed a bit suspicious, but then again, sitting alone and snacking was something Erin would do if she had to be down on the party floor. She'd keep an eye on that one just in case. Still, it was more likely that a skilled assassin would not just sit down idly in the corner of a room, but would rather fully engage in the party to alleviate suspicion. That certainly didn't make things easier, since the diverse cast of nobles and aristocrats all looked equally uncomfortable and stuffy in their suits and dresses.

"Are they still going at it?" Erin muttered under her breath, turning her attention back to the guard who was arguing with a man and a lady near the stairs, "At least something entertaining is going on..."

Pearl saw red for a moment when the guard with the 'emp' gave her attitude.  This was what happened when you had to work with soldiers who you've never worked with before.  This guy didn't know who she was, or her importance.  He couldn't, or he would have followed orders.  She wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt before she jumped to any conclusions... like the fact that he could be a rogue guard that had lost his purpose for being here. 

Unexpectedly, a civilian walked up and began questioning the guard.  The guard gave him attitude as well, and began to walk off.  Pearl waited until he was away from the civilian, then approached him again. 

"I see you have walked away from your bomb with the device that will disarm it.  Do you think that is wise?"  She didn't wait for him to respond.  "It doesn't matter.  I'm the head guard, which means what I have to say should matter to you, whether you want it to or not.  And right now, I think the queen, and especially her people, will be best served if you do your guard duty outside of the ball.  The queen will be making an appearance there, and we need to make sure there is no danger.  This will be purely recon, which means you need to keep your bombs to yourself."  She raised an eyebrow at him.  "If you see or hear anything suspicious, you need to contact me immediately."  She looked over to the bottom of the stairs.  "Oh, and don't forget to disarm your device.  I think we have it covered here without it, thanks."  She didn't turn her back on him and leave, but stood there with her hands on her hips.  Waiting.  @Redhood

Malia walked into the ballroom on the arm of Skacharm, followed by her Ladies in Waiting.  The one with the purple eyes had been kind enough to remind her that there was a room full of important people out there waiting to see her.  She talked of merriment and joy, and Malia wished that was the kind of birthday she was having.  Instead she felt like an animal in the woods, being hunted for sport.  Everywhere there was danger.  She felt her nerves stretched thin, even though she trusted that Skacharm had done everything possible to make sure she was safe.  He could only do so much, then it was up to her to take care of herself. 

They walked slowly around the room, and Malia nodded and smiled at those that made eye contact.  She could see that some of the guests' apparel outshone her own, making her feel a bit under dressed.  She was always worried about looking and acting like a queen, because she was never sure if she was doing it correctly.  There were other royalty there, and she realized there was something else to feel nervous about other than her life being in danger.  She needed to worry about the stability of her kingdom.  She recalled all the lessons on political matters that Skacharm drilled into her head.  They felt jumbled and unreachable at the moment.  Skacharm must have been able to tell that her body had tensed, because he patted her hand.  She took a deep breath and decided she'd worry about what was said and done after the party was over.

The music was classy and soft, unlike the loud boisterous tunes she used to hear in her village.  The food table was laden with all kinds of tempting foods.  She went over to get a nibble, mainly to have something to do to calm her nerves.  Skacharm stopped her before she took a bite, and waved over a servant from nearby.  The servant tasted from the same dish as Malia, and she realized it was tasted for poison.  She was handed back her plate, and her smile was wan as the point of calming her nerves flew out the window. 

Lorial watched with hooded eyes everyone who approached close to the queen.  They all seemed to gather around, like vultures waiting to pick the bones of the dead thing.  Well, the young queen was far from dying.  And she wouldn't be, if Lorial had anything to do with it.  She kept scanning the crowd and unobtrusively sniffing the air.  If someone was sweating buckets of fear, or putrid hate, Lorial would smell it.  She kept her ears open too, for bits of conversation that might be dangerous.  Tonight was going to be a long night.

"Yeah yeah whatever you say lady" I go over to disarm it and accidentally activate it and it beeps rapidly and shoots the bomb onto my chest "Ooohhhh that's not good" The bomb explodes and I go through the castle window "son of a motherless goat that hurt" I continue to lay there until I recover

@Mickey Flash

Edited by Redhood

Pearl watched in amazement as the incompetent guard set off his own bomb and was blown out of the window.  Her face turned bright red in embarrassment, knowing she would have to explain this situation to Skacharm and the queen.  It was bad enough that there was an explosion in the castle on her watch, but for it to have been set off by one of the guards under her command... disgraceful.  The loud noise dimmed the sound in her ears for a moment, and there was a ringing.  She'd heard this sound before, in the middle of battle.  She looked out the window to see what shape the guard was in.  The window was on the first floor, so the guard was lucky.  He was moving around and in one piece, which she took to mean he was alive.  Other guards came running, and she shook her head in shame at them.

"Go see if the guard that set off a bomb is hurt.  If he is, have him sent to the infirmary.  If he isn't.... have him locked up.  He has some answering to do for this kind of carelessness.  Not to mention ignoring my orders.  Shit, he could have gotten himself killed."  She sighed and held her head in her hand, feeling a headache coming on.  "I'll go inform the queen."

Malia heard the explosion and stiffened.  The assassination attempt was happening, just like she'd feared.  Skacharm bent over her, shielding her body from whatever may come.  She was just about to place on her hood, when Skacharm stayed her hand.

"Not yet, my queen.  Let's see first what it is that we face."

She nodded, and her face took on a stoic look.  It was the mask she'd learned to use to hide how she really felt inside.  She was terrified, but she wasn't going to let her enemies know this. 

Pearl came to them at a quick pace, shaking her head.  Skacharm relaxed his stance, and Malia felt a moment of confusion.  The head guard explained the situation, and the hilarity of it hit Malia at this inappropriate time.  She tried not to snicker.  After all, the guard could be hurt.  Skacharm looked furious, and Pearl looked frustrated and guilty.  Everyone stood there for a moment, for this kind of situation had not been planned for.  Pearl stood in front of the ballroom guests, and said in a loud voice, "I'm sorry everyone.  One of the guard's weapons discharged accidentally.  There is no danger.  There was some damage done to a window, but the servants are cleaning that now as I speak.  Please continue with your merriment." 

A thin cloud of smoke wafted from the direction of the explosion, but most of the fumes went out the broken window into the crowd outside.  Malia could hear some excited murmurs from the open window, which told her that there were worried people outside too.  She touched Skacharm's arm to get his attention.  "Tell Pearl to set the people outside at ease as well.  I don't want my people to worry."  Skacharm nodded and strode over to Pearl.  For this moment Malia was alone in the ballroom.  Lorial and the other Ladies in Waiting were not far away, but Malia didn't feel as guarded as she did before.  And the tension she felt as she first entered the ballroom had lessened dramatically.  It was as if she needed an explosion to break the ice, and now she could relax.  She smiled serenely. 

I jump up from the ground onto my feet recovered and I dust myself off with my hands "Well that happened" I climb through the window since nobody was around to say anything to me. "Alright what's been going on since I got knocked out the window?" I say this to myself quietly as I walk throughout the room and stretch my arms. I notice every guard in the room has abandoned their post and pull out my pistols "Son of a bitch! Well whoever wants to kill the queen has to go through only me now" I say quietly still making sure nobody heard me.

Edited by Redhood

When the guard had disengaged conversation with the civilians, Erin had determined the fun was over and resumed her patrol. Unfortunately, that meant she missed the best part of the confrontation, which she quickly became aware of when the sound of an explosion and shattering glass reached her ears. At first she mistook it for an assassination attempt, as some others in the building had, and drew out and notched an arrow in preparation. Instead she saw a number of people bearing expressions of confusion and amusement all staring at a man-sized hole in one of the ballroom windows. The bomb guard was out of site for the moment, but the scorch-mark on the floor not far from the stairs seemed to mark the spot he had likely inhabited most recently.

Since she hadn't actually seen the bomb, thanks to her angle of view, Erin wasn't really sure what the hell had just happened. Some sort of poorly-handled suicide bombing attempt, perhaps? Or maybe some idiot had just discharged magic of some sort by accident? It was hard to tell based on what could be seen from the balcony, especially if one had missed the event itself. Still, the thought then occurred to Erin that this was a perfect means to distract the guards and guests, and as such an opportune moment make an attempt at the queen's life.

The queen appeared fine though, at least for now. Nobody was yet approaching her, at least not until the woman who had been previously arguing with the guard stepped over to converse with them. Erin finally recognized the woman as the commander of the guard forces, having not realized who it was thanks to her more elaborate clothing. Not to mention Erin hadn't been on the guard force very long, and being as anti-social as she was, she didn't get to know people very quickly. In any case, that explained part of why the woman was conversing with the guard, but still didn't seem to explain in Erin's mind what had caused the explosion.

Figuring there would be enough eyes on the site of the bombing already, she only gave that location a passing glance before visually sweeping the rest of the ballroom again. She paused on the lonely young lady at the table that had caught her suspicion earlier, before moving back across the crowd. During this time, Skacharm had stood up and approached the guard commander, leaving the queen relatively alone for the moment. Erin recognized this and kept her arrow notched, thought she lowered the bow somewhat so as not to alarm any guests that might look up, while her eyes swept the floor once again. I guess things weren't so boring anymore...

Such lively entertainment on this evening, though Jennifer could not seem to appreciate the spectacle. Life was dull, grey and mundane to her now, but at least it brought a smile to the queen's face. In a way that was better than any sort of mummery that could be performed.

"Mayhaps we can have repeat performances later in a theater. I hear there are many a fool willing to shoot themselves out of cannons for entertainment, if it please Your Grace." The jape was directed at the guard and his mishap, as it was proper for fools to be put in their place. 

Even if there were no guards in this place, the lich was more than capable of protecting Her Grace. The shadows were her weapon, and she knew just how to use them with utmost effectiveness. As the cliché went, Jennifer had become something of the Queen's shadow. Always close at hand whenever she needed her, always in attendance for whatever matters were at hand, and always doing her best to provide company to Her Grace. Unfortunately, she could never shake the fact that she was cold and unliving. Even her jest came out flat, without emotion, not even the skightest hint of mirth or spite.

Staying at a comfortable distance, her shadows would wind their way through the crowds. Nobody gave a second thought to shadows, as many would believe them just to be a trick of the light, not so with Jennifer's. These were her shadows, and they would form a spider's web of darkness, one capable of performing the protection needed for the Queen.

'Let them bring their daggers and their arrows' she thought. 'How can you assassinate someone, when there is already a knife at your throat, and you don't even realize it's there?'

@Mickey Flash

There were two types of people in this world. Well, there are a great many ways to follow up that statement, but in this instance, Cerik thought, the division was based on intelligence. There were those a modicum of it, whose wits were sharp enough to mitigate the absurd and the dangerous. Then there was the other type, those who did such damn stupid shit that... well, either they had the most absurd luck, or some divine entity had an interest in keeping them alive them for some unfathomable reason. Whatever the case, their continued survival made absolutely no logical sense. This guard, obviously, was one of the latter. The knight could only wonder how he managed to get this far along without showing some sign of bumbling incompetence that would have had him thrown out. 

What a sorry excuse for a guard, really. First, he had planted a bomb on an obviously-guarded staircase, when, in this sort of scenario, it was nigh-impossible to tell an assassin apart until they decided to strike at the queen. Second, he had gone on to somehow detonate his own bomb and blow himself through a window. Cerik knew not his fate, but if he lived (and if his assessment was correct, the odds were oddly in favor of it) he hoped something would be done about him, and that he was not let free to allow the possibility of doing something even more grand. Well, "grand" in the sense of said thing being worse, of course.

Regardless, there was some damage control to be done. After looking around for a moment, Cerik tapped his lance, Windpiercer, against the ground, with just enough force to have some impact, yet not enough to leave a mark on the ground. The wind, inexplicably, suddenly, picked up a few seconds later and started to blow the smoke out of the window, then up and away from the crowd. The wind would die back down as soon as the smoke had cleared, and the knight would take a few steps forward toward the queen, bowing slightly before speaking.

"Your Majesty. Let this incident not reflect on the rest of the guards. For my part, at least, I swear I will redouble my efforts in order to make up for, well... to be frank, to make up for this blatant display of incompetence."