Valucre
  • Announcements

Jotnotes

Ruin has come to Ashville

Jet was..... confused wasn't quite the word. 
The room was empty except for a chair, and a device most likely used to kill oneself. The door had vanished, and outside through windows, the city was destroyed. Like, DESTROYED, destroyed. Like what happened after his kind were finished with an alien planet, destroyed. Then, there were some... odd, shambling things vaguely resembling humans coming all out everywhere. It looked a lot like something from those "horror movies" Tiger-eye loved so much.

Jet came to a few conclusions. One, he was completely insane, unlikely. Two, this is actually what was going on the entire time, and they were under an illusion before. Still unlikely, but more likely than the previous explanation. Three.... This whole place was alive and warping itself. Evidently attempting to make him kill himself?
Jet smirked. If he was going to kill himself, a rope from the ceiling wouldn't work. He didn't need to breathe. This is all on the assumption that this is operating under cutting off someone's breathing. If he used that, he would just be hanging there, looking stupid and being incredibly bored. Then they would just break through the windows, and try to kill him anyway.

He didn't know where the others went, but he knew that if the small mage thing lady saw this, she would completely lose her mind. 
Jet had lingering doubt, obviously. He was an assassin, not a warrior. And even if he was, he couldn't think of any fighter from his world that could take this many. Tiger-eye maybe, if she kept mobile. But he wasn't a Tiger-eye, now was he?

None of this mattered. Jet knew this was gonna be a fight, and it was gonna be a bad one. Best thing to do first, was to get out of the room. If he tried to fight them in an enclosed area, he would have literally no chance. And any chance, no matter how slim, was better than no chance. 
Jet picked up the chair, and threw it against one of the windows as hard as he could. He intended to shatter the thing, draw his weapon, and kill some uglies. Hopefully all of them.

Archmaic scrambled through the door, only a few seconds after Jet. "Hey, slow dow-" He asked of the figure as he walked through the door, only to find that Jet was nowhere to be seen. That's... odd to say the least. Archmaic knew what was at stake here, but purposely altering itself to split up its party members? He could not sense any arcane energies in this place, so it had to be something with the cloud above.

He looked around the room, only to find it was completely pitch black. Except for his enchanted robes, with gave a neon green hue which allowed him to see around 3 feet in front of him. They somehow worked now, unlike they had earlier. Then, he heard a loud crash, finding that the kobold had fallen from his shoulder and onto the hard floor. "I think I just smushed something." He could tell she was still frightened, if only but a small bit. Fortunately, getting into dire situations with people does let you read them more easily.

"You'll be fine," He said to her, as he felt along the walls for anything that could provide them more light. After a few minutes of searching, he found a large gray box, which could only be an electricity generator. Unfortunately, the entire thing was split in half, cut wires running between the two parts. And that was the least destroyed part. The rest of it was all scratched or banged up in multiple places. This thing would take hours to fix without spare parts. Hours he didn't have.

He was again stirred from his thoughts by moaning. It was somewhat distant, but he could tell it was getting closer. Quickly. He put his ear to the wall and could hear it much more clearly now. It was a large group of... something moaning and growling and the like, definitely moving toward them.

"You better get ready, Aygis." He warned the kobold.

The window didn't even shudder when Jet hurled the chair at it, and even with the force behind it, the chair showed no signs of wear, either. In fact, aside from the fact that the chair was now lying on its side near the window, it was as if nothing had happened at all. Beyond the window, down the hill, the hulking, shambling figures continued to lurch towards the church, up the hill. Interestingly enough, as they came closer, they didn't appear to become easier to identify. On the contrary, as they got closer they only seemed to get slightly bigger, their grotesque, muddy bodies still silhouette-like as they even began to congregate underneath the room Jet was in. Slowly, they pushed up against the walls, not even bothering to push past each other, climbing over themselves and piling up against the side of the church, trying to reach the windows, trying to reach Jet. They were audible now, too, but not in a conventional way. Their proximity was followed by a twisted, unpleasant mingling of noises, all of them broken, fabricated, as if pushed through the ears instead of spoken aloud. These...shamblers, these creatures, these whatever they were, they didn't moan listlessly, they didn't roar a challenge to their prey.

They wept, and they whispered, and they laughed. Laughed at Jet, laughed at his chair, laughed at the window he wasn't strong enough to destroy. They whispered about him in unknown tongues, and they wept for his very soul, for reasons unknown even to them.

Spoiler

Far beneath the church itself, Aygis desperately tried to get to her feet following her 'comrade's' warning. What was he hearing? Was he losing his mind, too, or did he hear it? Hear...them?

They began as a low noise, deep in the back of her head, as if buried inside of her primitive brain. The long, drawn-out screams, the voices that begged for solace, for justice, for mercy. The kobold magus had tried repeatedly earlier to avoid the sound, but now that it was in her head, it'd only grown louder. She couldn't escape the wailing of ghosts any longer; they were as persistent as death.

Groggily, she did as she was asked and conjured a pale ball of blue light with the help of the Nubstikk. The dragon's eye glittered in the light, almost glaring accusingly at the magus. It was angry with her, angry with her for being in such a situation. She thought that it had every right to be angry with her, and it ashamed her to admit it aloud.

"I'm sorry," She whispered to the drake's eye, in soft, reverent tones. "I'm doing all I can right now, but it's not enough. Be patient, please. I'll do better."

Somewhere in the dark, beyond the pale blue light, there was an audible crash as something slammed against a wall, forcing the kobold to squeal in terror. It didn't sound like stone crumbling, however; it sounded more like wood on wood, to the kobold, but she was unwilling to trust her own senses now. She stared at the only other person around, and gave him a nudge with her staff.

"You got us into this; you get to go see what that noise was!"

Spoiler

“I see them, yes.” He replied. The rain and thundering made it difficult to hear. He had to yell over the pouring water-like rain. Unlike the guard, Malcom didn’t push his spear into the ground, but he backed up enough to be out of reach of the other. He held Atropos parallel to himself with the head pointed up in his right hand. The pain in his left lessened greatly upon loosing contact with the stark realness of the spear. It would have worried him any other time, but the lingering feeling of unease clouded his thoughts and forced him to focus his attention elsewhere. Malcom raised an eyebrow at the demonstration of the guard’s spear’s brutality. He had never seen something like that on Terranus before. He watched the guard’s movements carefully.

The ground was rapidly turning into a grey slush that sucked one’s feet down into the quagmire. Any movement would be just hard enough to cause frustration and increase fatigue but the longer one stood still, the deeper they began to find themselves entrenched. The dark rain had completely drenched Malcom by this time, soaking through everything he owned. His dark armor seemed uncharacteristically heavy as cold droplets rolled off the oiled surface. 

He bowed his head slightly in response to the guard. “You are not much like the other people trapped in the town either, though I would wager for a different reason.” He said, referring to the strangeness of the guard and his foreign spear. “If you can speak truthfully, tell me what has happened here. How long has the city been like this? Everywhere I have gone has only led me deeper into the madness of this place, but kept me further from its center.” His eyes did not leave the guard’s face. “I can help you all if you do not oppose me.”

Edited by AngryCacti

The swordsman remained silent for eons, standing there amidst the grey sludge, staring at nothing and yet seeing everything, supposedly. It was difficult to fathom his point of focus, yet he didn't seem too tense at the moment. He was simply...there, supposedly. Eventually, he sighed, and turned to face Malcom before speaking.

"I'll be frank with you, I don't have a perfect description for what's happening, either. What I can tell you, however, is that I've seen it before. Four times before, in fact."

Around them, beyond the resolving power of vision, the whispers of some unseen mob rose in volume. They muttered of deception and revelation in equal measure, a rising chorus of intermingled responses. If the swordsman could hear them, he paid them no heed, but he did nod back at the pile of corpses.

"The reason things like that corpse pile look so odd when you stare at them is because you know more than you're expected to. In this sense, that pile of bodies; it shouldn't be there, should it? No city piles up the dead so irreverently. Somebody did that intentionally, because they knew it would be unsettling. That city behind us, too. Do you believe buildings ought to warp like that, even in this twisted rainfall?" He paused, and thoughtfully added. "Or are they doing that in order to draw a response out of you?"

A sharp peel of thunder erupted out of nowhere, and only a fraction of a second afterward did the bolt of lightning split the heavens. The swordsman lifted his hands and shrugged.

"This place won't let you say it out loud, but you probably already know what this is, don't you? The word doesn't exist here, not in the correct context, no."

His words were cryptic at best, and nonsensical at worst, as if the man were already starting to lose his mind. Instead of taking note of this however, he turned towards the church. 

"I'll explain better if I possibly can, but I need to continue my work before this place gets a good hold on my sanity. We don't have a lot of time; help me find the thing behind all of this, and we can correct things before any serious damage is done."

Jet was very confused now. Every time he had done that, either the glass, or the chair broke. Neither of them broke here.

Further, it seemed that all the walking dead things decided to get up close and start laughing. Jet saw nothing humorous here, but decided that asking them what was funny was not a smart course of action.
So, war of attrition by fighting in the open to move around is out. So, deep end it is.

Jet pulled his dagger from the black gem in his left palm. He flicked it outward once, and it thinned out and lengthened into a rapier. If anything, if they broke the glass, he could dive out of it with minimal damage.

Jet readied himself. If they were going to break the glass, he would need to dive rapier-first. that would cut through a lot of them, and he could easily get out from inside them. All of this depended on him moving the moment the glass broke.

As he looked at the generator in relative monotone, he noticed that Aygis had lit up a slightly larger portion of the room, and he concluded he should plan out an escape route with her, to perhaps find the other two who had accompanied them before. As he walked toward her, he could hear the voices in her head too, which only made it harder for him to focus on his plan.

As he got over to her, however, he heard a loud crash coming somewhere behind him, in the eerie darkness of the room. He instantly whipped around, staff at the ready. Of course, he could only see 3 feet in front of him, so he would have to react fast if anyone...anything had broken in. Just then, Aygis nudged his back, as if to signal him onward. "You got us into this; you get to see what that noise was!"

"I got us into this mess?  She would've been alone with those things closing in on her without me!" He thought to himself. But, he continued onward. As the neon green slowly illuminated the room, he saw another set of wooden doors. They were exactly the same as the other doors, with the exception of a wooden board stuck between the handles. He wondered what this could mean, before yelping as he heard another crash and the doors were pushed towards him, before gently but swiftly moving back into place. Something was trying to get in.