Valucre
Letherius

Magically Captive

It was a bright sunny day, barely a cloud in the sky, that Zenith Mercury decided to take a stroll in the woods. Wearing his armor and with his gladius at his hip, just in case something tried it's luck.

He had a smile one his face as he trudged threw the brush, enjoying the peaceful serenity around him. It was one of the few places he didn't have to hide what he was, a mage, as magic users were outlawed in the kingdom, every day he had to watch his back and be careful not to alert anyone to his skill. 

As he was walking and taking in the sighs around him, he came to a wide open clearing the trees forming a perfect circle around a field of flowers and knee high grass. He walked into the clearing seeing it for what it was, a convergence of ley lines. Ley lines in essence we're magic routes crisscrossing the world, and this spot was where a few smaller ones came together and filled the air with a almost imperceptible hum of magic.

As he reached the center, he stopped and breathed deeply, seeming to drink in the magic. However the moment was ruined as shrill screaming filled the area.

"Great...goblins" he muttered under his breath as they swarmed in from the tree line around him. 

He readied his gladius as the first few reached him. Zenith spun in a circle cleaving the first few that reached him in twain, Gore splattering the ground. Next  few dash forward with Spears seeing to skewer him, in turn he slashed off the spear tips and decapitated them all in one swing.

It became apparent to Zenith that simple swordplay wouldn't suffice this time and that he'd have to resort to magic to stay alive. But there were too many to just use his simple spells to defeat, so he quickly launched a few fire bolts to give himself some breathing room as he sheathed his gladius and dropped into a casting stance.

The firebolts made the goblins hesitate, and gave Zenith the time to charge and cast a spell, it's affects amplified by the ambient magic in the air.

When he released the spell the area was suddenly engulfed in a Nova of fire, the grass burning away and the goblins being instantly burned alive. The remaining goblins In the treeline witnessing the screamed and ran, for even they weren't stupid enough to challenge a mage powered by the convergence.

Zenith sighed in relief as they fled, before a presence in the woods behind him caught his attention and he turned to see someone watching him. His eyes widened as he released something.

They saw me cast magic. Well shit....

With a heavy sigh, Adelaide set the heavy sack on the ground, adjusted her grip, and continued her trek forward through the dense forrest. Her mother had given her the chore of washing the dirty clothes today, which was a chore she absolutely hated. It was tedious and boring. But she couldn't go against her mother, nor could she make one of her siblings do it since she, unfortunately, was the eldest daughter. 

A shriek resounded through the trees. Adelaide momentarily paused while her brows furrowed in confusion. She had gone through this forrest several times, and not once had she ever heard such a noise. Curiosity got the best of her and she made her way in the direction of the noise. 

Once she reached the clearing, she paused at the tree line and stared at the sight before her. A male was at the center facing off a handful of goblins. It wasn't the goblins that caught her attention, but the sudden fireballs that he shot out at them. This male was a magic weirder...he was suppose to be dead like all the others. Then it occurred to her: the guards paid a handsome amount of money for turning in someone who wields magic. Being raised in a poor household, Adelaide knew that they needed every cent they could get a hold of. 

There was a bright flash that briefly blinded her, before she realized that fire had engulfed the whole clearing. He had, in mere seconds, burned the goblins to ashes. This was...his power was greater than she had anticipated. Perhaps the guards would pay her double for him. Before her mind could think of the possible amount of coins she would receive, she was suddenly making eye contact with the male after he had turned around to face her. 

Adelaide's heart pounded loudly in her ears while she felt her stomach drop. A curse escaped her lips, and she was running before she even realized it. She needed to get to the safety of the kingdom, where there would be several eyes watching. Surely he wouldn't dare use his magic in such a public place. Hopefully she made it there before he burned her to a crisp. 

Abandoning the sack of clothes, she clutched the worn fabric of her dress and lifted it up, so it wouldn't get tangled in her feet as she ran. 

Zenith cursed as she ran back into the wood. She'll turn me in if I don't stop her, he thought as he took off after her. He made sure not to lose sight of her as he gave chase, cursing his luck at being found out.

As they made their way through the forest, he decided that he wouldn't be able to catch her before they made it to the village, so he made a split second decision and threw his hand out, muttering a quick spell, he manifested a small magic shield about shin high, hoping to trip her and give him time to catch her.

Let's hope this works, I need to explain things. He thought as he let his spell fly.

Adelaide didn't dare look back; not when she had protruding tree roots to watch out for. She forced her legs to move faster while she dodged the trees. Unfortunately luck did not seem to be on her side today because her foot got caught in what she assumed to be a tree root. Her hands shot forward to stop herself from fully face planting the ground, but she only succeeded in spraining her left wrist and landing on her side. 

Her breathing was erratic, while her wide eyes glanced back to see the male closing the gap between them. She scrambled to her feet and tried to run froward, only to be stopped. She glanced down and noted that her dress was caught on one of the tree roots. Gripping the dress with tight fist, she used as much strength as she could to tug the dress free. The small root snapped quite easily and the force of her strength caused her to land on her bum. 

Zenith watched as she fell and the struggle to get free, he slowed to a walk as he approached her. He stopped in front of her, hoping she'd listen to him.

she probably won't, as the new king has poisoned the minds of the populace. I may have to take precautions.. he thought as he prepared a sleep spell in one hand as he offered her the other.

"Please let me explain" he pleaded "don't make this difficult for the both of us."

Adelaide stared up at the male as he finally stood in front her, holding out his hand to her. Her gaze shifted from his eyes, to his hand, to the woods behind him. It was as if she was seeing the remains of the burnt clearing. 

Explain? Explain what? There was nothing he needed to say. He had magic coursing through his veins and there was no denying it after he killed those goblins. 

She got a handful of dirt and threw it as his face before she struggled to her feet and resumed her getaway. 

As the dirt hit his face and he let his spell fly, feeling the slight drain as his magic hit it's mark. Causing the girl to fall asleep.

the hard way it is. He thought as he trudged over.

He picked the girl up and cradled her in his arms. He then made his way to where he stayed on the outskirts of the town, careful not to attract any attention. As he got inside, he carried her to his spare bedroom and laid her on the bed.

"Well this is a big pile of crap I'm in now." He muttered as he began setting wards around the cabin, first a set to assure she couldn't leave, and then a set to prevent any sound from escaping the room, just as a precaution in case she tried calling for help.

He sighed and ran his hands through his hair, deciding on what to do next. Once deciding he closed the door and set a spell to alert him on when she woke, and proceeded to he'd back into the woods and back into the clearing. 

He laid his hands on the ground and closed his eyes, and with the help of the convergence, healed the plants and returned the place to what it was once more. " There, now no one will know what happened." He said as he made his way home, exhausted from all the spell casting.

The last thing Adelaide saw before the spell took full effect, was the ground coming close to her face. 

-time skip-

Adelaide awoke with a bolt, and she gazed up at the ceiling. This obviously wasn't the forest, nor was it her home. A sense of panic slowly crawled up her spine as she slowly sat up and glanced around. The last thing she could recall was the magic wielder she had encountered in the forest.  Perhaps he had brought her to his home. 

She got out of the bed and made her way to the door of the bedroom, she gripped the handle and turned the knob. Adelaide made sure to keep her footsteps as silent as she could as she crept closer to what she assumed to be the front door of the cabin. She gripped the door knob and tried to twist it open, but it wouldn't budge. That was when the panic hit her full force and she desperately tried to turn the knob. 

She realized quickly that it wouldn't turn, so she looked for another door and faced the same problem. Her eyes watered and she started pounding on the main door. "Someone, please! Help!"

As Zenith approached his home his spell activated and let him know that his 'guest' was awake. Begrudgingly he walked into his house and closed the door, and walked over to the door to the guest room and called to her, " The rooms warded and no one can hear you, if you'd calm down and let me explain things to you I can assure you that everything will be ok"

He stepped back and modified the spell so that he could hear her through the door. " I can hear you now. Please don't be angry with me, I can't be reported to the guards, I'll be hunted like for simply being what I am."

" I didn't want to do this, but you left me no choice." He called to her. Sad that he'd been pushed this far into a corner.

Adelaide, despite the panic she felt, stopped pounding her fists against the door when she heard the male's voice from the other side. Of course he would use his magic to keep her trapped in this room. 

"I...I won't report you." Her voice wavered while she fought to stay composed. "I won't mention this to anyone, please just let me go." 

Magic had been outlawed about fourteen years ago, so Adelaide had never encountered someone with magic. It was something strange and it honestly evoked a sense of fear in her. If he was able to kill those goblins, then there was no doubt that he could do the same to her. 

"I need to return to my family..." Her tone was pleading. 

A feeling of sadness welled in him. However much he wanted to believe her he couldn't, he couldn't take the risk unless he was sure she would keep her word.

"I'm sorry, but I can't take that risk yet. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I've had people betray me before and I just have to be sure, I'm sorry." He said, hand resting on the door. "If you'll let me explain everything and I think you understand my concern, maybe then I can let you go. But until then I'm going to need you to stay there."

He felt like his own heart was breaking and knew that the past years had changed him, probably for the worst.

"Let us get to know each other, then I can let you go,y name is Zenith, what's yours?"

Adelaide's vision blurred as tears gathered in her eyes. How long would it be until she gained his trust? Would her parents and family search for her once they realized that she didn't make it back home? The mere thought of just being trapped here only caused for more tears to accumulate and slowly but surely, they streamed down her cheeks while she leaned her forehead against the door. 

"I-I'm Adelaide." She answered his question, before wiping her eyes with the back of her hand; however, the tears just kept coming. 

"Adelaide? That's a beautiful name." He said in response. Knowing her stress he avoided the mention of family, instead he took a different route. "As you know and have seen I'm a mage, but for fun, I like to bird watch. Did you know there are four species of thrush that you'll only find in this area?" He said, remembering discovering one of them.

The girl sniffled, wiped away the tears from her cheeks, and tried to regain her composure. If she wants to get out of here as soon as possible then she would need to stop crying and start thinking more smartly. Maybe she could trick her way into getting out of here. 

When he mentioned the birds, Adelaide was momentarily confused. He was holding her here as his captive, and he wanted to talk about birds? Taking in a deep breath, she slowly let it out. 

"Thrush...I've never seen one of them before." She commented, her  voice still wavering slightly. "How d-do they look?"

" they're little birds with long tail feathers that hunt small insects and stick them on pointy tree limbs to attract mate, they're neat little birds, but mean as can be, I was made the mistake of getting to close to a nest and mamma decided to chase me away, and let me tell you those little beaks hurt." He explained chuckling softly at the memory. "But enough about me, what do you do?" He asked, " Any hobbies? Anything you do for fun?"