Valucre
  • Announcements

Moonbay

Drunk and Adrift

At around four o'clock in the morning, the small lifeboat of 'The Maelstrom Merrow' lazily dawdled towards the shore, pushed slowly on gentle and groggy waves as the first hint of light was breathed into the sky. Its lone passenger, drunk and sprawled ungracefully on the floor, was snoring loudly from under the cavalier hat that covered her face. One booted foot hung over the lip of the boat, dangling just above the reflective mirror of the ocean.

Closer and closer to land it got, until the underside of the boat hissed along the sand, before finally bumping to a stop. It was another hour before Jen stirred from her heavy slumber, and as soon as she woke, she took a swig from the last of the three bottles of alcohol that had traveled with her. It took a further two swigs before she even bothered to look around at where she had ended up. 

Good.

She thought, looking at the buildings in the distance.

At least there's life here.

Jen then proceeded to fall back asleep for a further forty-five minutes. 

She woke up. Rolled out of the boat. Barely avoided drowning as she dragged herself onto land. Then started to doze off in the warming sand, bottle loyally by her side. There, in the purgatory somewhere between consciousness and sleep, she could have sworn she heard footsteps sighing on sand, but why worry about what may or may not be a reality? Her consciousness blinked out like a broken bulb, the waves lapping at her heels, Jen ignorant to it all. 

That was amazing!)

He’d been walking along the shore all morning. He was often out here to collect things that washed ashore or the beautiful shells that came in. There was always something new to find. With the added bonus of food every now and again, or the crabs.

However today was different. Something in the air? The wind whispering something about fate. Jethro Smythe wasn’t sure. In the earlier hours of the day he’d sworn there was a black dot at the horizon, a ship maybe? However he wouldn’t find out until. Later.

Smythe has been walking with his thoughts for some time when he spotted something most curious, a Boat. A small life boat granted but it was a boat. His pace increased as he jogged over to the boat.

There he found some kind of Alcholic creature laying in the sand. He thought it was a dude with the smell and the filth on this person, however as he reaches and searches her person grabbing a hold of her pistol, that only had one shot, he finds out he was wrong. 

He stands there lost for some time. Before starting To drag her away.

Floating again in that space between consciousness and sleep, Jen felt the waves rock her gently, carrying her forward on a steady current. Water washed into her open mouth, clogging the back of her throat. She awoke in a sudden violent coughing fit, pulling free her captured limb from Jethro as she flailed like a mad thing. It was sand, not water, that sprayed from her mouth as she coughed and sputtered... and it was not a constant current pulling her in the ocean, but a boy, dragging her through the hot sand!

Propping herself up on one elbow and coughing the last bits of sand from her lungs, she glowered up at the boy, her flushed face quickly turning an angry shade of crimson. 

"Sink me! Just what do ye think yer doin'?!"

Her voice was raspy from lack of use and the dry, dry sand.

"Ye best get explaining, boy! Do ye drag every woman ye find on the beach through the sand face first! I ought to gut ye like a fish, I oughta!" 

Grumbling angrily, Jennifer looked around for her hat and found it just beginning to be picked up by the advancing tide. Springing to her feet, Jen swayed unsteadily as her head swam with the jolting movement. Too quick. Slower, she staggered over to rescue her hat, placing the sodden beaver felt upon her head. Wading over to the tiny boat, she secured the rest of her belongings.

Edited by Moonbay

“ Well to be honest no not all women mainly because I don’t have babes washing out of th ocean. Wait a second are you a mermaid here to steal the kids?”  He watches her wade out into the surf just to get some raggedy old hat. 

“ So why exactly are you here? You look and act like you have much better things to do.” He carefully listened to her words and how uneducated they sounded. He studied her looks, he liked her ear rings and eyepatch.  It was slowly starting to dawn on him but he didn’t want it t be true the last thing he wanted or needed was some pirate showing up here.

” Well you ‘oughta talk straight and drop the liquor before you just fall out and start flobbing like a fish!”

"A mermaid?"

Jen scoffed. Her belongings now back on her person, she waded back to shore, stopping a meter or two away from Jethro. 

"Yer mad. Do ye have any idea who ye be talking to, boy? Ye bilge rat. Show some respect or I'll show ye a death worse than that at the hands of Jack Ketch!"

Spitting in the sand, she reached up to break loose the eyepatch blocking sight from her left eye, hurling it at the boys feet. Hand on the hilt of her cutlass, she began a series of wobbly strides towards the buildings she'd seen in the distance, her other hand bringing the bottle to her lips where she drained the last drops of liquid fire. 

"Blast. I've run aground."

She chucked the useless bottle aside. It collided with a cluster of rocks, shattering into a hundred glinting and mean fragments. Perrow walked on, left eye squinting against the sudden light.

Jethro could only watch the woman move around with some kind of exaggerated movements he’d imagined from characters in books the elders use to read. She was an intrsting sort especially with her bottles.

”I Think I’m talking to someone who just washed ashore and found herself in the wrong place!” He didn’t much like her threats of Violence but he figured his worst problem would be her blade. 

“ Hey where are you going? You can’t just go around threating people here!” He jumped back when she said the condition of her vessel and even more when she chucked the bottle. 

“ I’ll take you to town if you’ll just calm down!” He rushes to catch up with her not that she’d made it very far but it deffiently seems so when your scared of someone.

Past her lips rumbled a guttural growl of annoyance as she heard the boy rush to meet her. Stomping to a halt, she whirled to face him. Should he be pursuing her fast and carelessly enough, he'd likely run into her front and ample chest from her sudden ceasing of movement as it gave little warning to slow down.

"What do ye want with me boy? Why are ye hanging around like a bad smell? I be perfectly capable," She hiccuped, "of finding me own way to the town."

Turning on her heels was a bad exiting move, however, as the backs of her feet sank into the sand as she spun. This tilted her off balance, causing her to fall flailing backwards with a seagull-like shriek! Jethro would have to move quick enough to avoid being brought down under her as the tall six-foot woman toppled like a tree. She was out again. It would only be the work of a few seconds before she came back to consciousness, dizzy and disorientated.

Edited by Moonbay

He stopped because he didn’t want to run into her only to get some whiplash from her tongue. She sure wasn’t the nicest person he’d ever meet but she wasn’t the worst either, yet.  Of course he’d now had sand burying his feet.

” Do you even know which way is north? And your so tipsy you’d fall over!” 

Of course once he’d uttered it it came to pass and she began to fall from trying to spin on sand... which was not going to take her weight. He couldn’t quite pull his feet out fast enough so instead he tried to catch the tall woman, to partial avail.

( having fun?)