Godspell

What are you playing?

5 hours ago, supernal said:

For me it's that a lot of really awesome new games require a higher "sit down" investment than they used to. I got witcher 3 a while ago and only played it for a few minutes. It seemed interesting but the time it took to learn its alchemy and combat and magic systems I was like "Ima just go post instead"

And forget about taking a break for a week and forgetting how to do all that stuff to begin with 

Whereas with the retro earthbound I'm now playing on my NEW SNES CLASSIC WHOO I can just pick up and put down in 10 mins (and ended up playing an hour anyway) 

Exactly! I love RPGs and immersing myself in the stories but they all have such a learning curve when it comes to leveling up, alchemy, all the things you mentioned.

I'm currently playing Dragon Age: Inquisition and I keep putting it down and picking it up. With these single-player RPGs, I find myself more and more motivated by the story and the lore and I can find all that stuff online. 

Do you think.... No. Could it be? Are we just getting old? 

2 minutes ago, Bastard said:

Exactly! I love RPGs and immersing myself in the stories but they all have such a learning curve when it comes to leveling up, alchemy, all the things you mentioned.

I'm currently playing Dragon Age: Inquisition and I keep putting it down and picking it up. With these single-player RPGs, I find myself more and more motivated by the story and the lore and I can find all that stuff online. 

Do you think.... No. Could it be? Are we just getting old? 

Hell yeah! 

But also game design has changed a great deal and there's so much more of them that are meant to hit different types of gamers

Like sandbox games are really popular because of how immersive they are and the options you can explore but I get a lot of my immersion from "playing" Valucre for a lot less cost, so I as a gamer prefer games that I can play for a while but that don't require a great deal of time investment (or microtransactions)

The time investment part is definitely a getting old thing inasmuch as as a teenager I had a lot more downtime than I do now, or less to do option wise with the downtime that I would just default to video games

Been playing Final Fantasy XIV again lately and totally not addicted... Well yeah I am. Pretty fun so far blowing things up as a Black Mage.

Anyone who doesn't play Witcher 3 because its learning curve seems steep is really missing out, imo. If I can learn it in no time, anyone can, because it is much simpler than it looks. The story and lore is fantastic and makes up for just about everything. I couldn't stop playing it, and seriously, at my age I can really only play most games for maybe three to four hours before wandering off.

For me personally it isn't just plainly that the learning curve is steep, because big budget games are tested thoroughly to make sure that the largest number of people will be able to pick the game up and get engaged. It's just too steep for my personal cost-benefit analysis. The three or so hours it might take to fully engage me me in the Witcher is time that I would personally rather spend reading or writing or posting or worldbuilding to get my story and lore fix

I've spent some money on game consoles and video games that I don't play enough to justify the money I spent on them so am making a bit of an effort to just do simple plays of the catalog of games I have 

Right now I'm about halfway through Bulletstorm

FPS that is crass and outlandish with the emphasis being on cool moves and tidy graphics over story elements. I've been having fun but I don't think it'll wow anyone

Edited by supernal