supernal

The Oracle - ask IC questions!

Made a new thread because the formatting of the posts in the old one is wonky and I wanted it to look better on review. Here's the old thread

What is the purpose of this thread?

The Oracle is an NPC character available for use by nearly any member. The purpose of this thread in particular is to be able to provide oracular information to characters, in essence making my personal vast store of Terran information available to characters, instead of players. Answers can be incomplete or inconclusive.

How do I as a character use the Oracle?

The Oracle trades in information and in secrets. In order to ask something of it you must give something in turn. So you write down a secret on a piece of paper, a real secret and not just that you pick your nose, add a drop of your blood and drop the paper in a fire.

Ask your question. If the fire turns emerald green, the Oracle will answer. If it doesn't, your secret wasn't good enough.

How do I as a player use this thread?

You can either make an IC post in this thread and I'll reply as the oracle, or you can make a post in your own thread and quote/link in this thread so I can get a notice and reply. My information might be clear and simple, or cryptic and misleading, or a simple "Try again later!" depending on what you ask about/for. 

So an example would be "How can I save my mother/father/sister/brother from this terminal illness/etc"? And the Oracle would tell you about the Chalice of Jason of the Lions and its miraculous healing properties, and boom you're on your way. If the artifact happens to be owned? Then it may or may not tell you about that person and where to find the artifact.

Examples of questions answered in paraphrase from old thread

"Who am I?" - "Seek a Shaman in the Gaian Academy. He can make you a brew to retrieve your memories."
"What am I?" - "An angel, fallen."
"How do I extract star metal?" - "The metal has already been pulled. Find it in the heart of Ponkapoag"
"Does Eustace Monroe live?" - "He lives and will soon flourish"
"I seek immortality" - "Seek a bleeding heart in the hands of another master and it will grant this", with link to artifact

Edited by supernal

I would like to make use of the Oracle. 

Thread

The secret used while not stated IC is that during the Torqhril coming of age ceremony he allowed another child to die to save himself, and told everyone they had 'gotten separated'.

The question is "Where should I go? What should I do? I am lost."

Also, obviously my question is heavily open ended and I do have some ideas we can discuss in OOC or you can just surprise me - I'm open to either idea. 

Edited by Soldat Tenaille

1 hour ago, Berkant Aydin Derviş said:

I would like to make use of the Oracle. 

Thread

The secret used while not stated IC is that during the Torqhril coming of age ceremony he allowed another child to die to save himself, and told everyone they had 'gotten separated'.

The question is "Where should I go? What should I do? I am lost."

Also, obviously my question is heavily open ended and I do have some ideas we can discuss in OOC or you can just surprise me - I'm open to either idea. 

The paper square floated into the heart of fire, and there it remained for nearly a full minute undisturbed, resisting the flame's entropic touch as the wood around it was devoured. At the mark of a full minute the paper was consumed all at once, transitioning from a state of full integrity into the ash in a second flat.

The moving tongues of flame froze in place. Now they were static in the air like shards of colored ice or stained glass jutting out of the firepit, alive with lambency but dead in motion. Orange and red hues shifted in increments towards jade until the whole evoked an image of a bush. Not a bush which burned, but which was made of burning.

If the nomad spared his surroundings even a spare glance, he would find that time had come to a still everywhere but in the small circle of light and warmth shed by his fire.

"To Dougton." The voice boomed from the pit, the ground rippling around it in concentric circles.

"You will arrive just as one tempted by the fruits of magic reaches out to find the vine is thorned. His labor will produce a creature and set it loose on the city. You will help kill or capture the beast. What you do and how you do it will atone you of your guilt and will hold up the mirror to yourself – it will show you who you are.

"If you do not go there you will grow callous to the guilt in your heart and lose sight of who you are. Or it will kill you with drink and smoke."

The flames indulged in motion once again, green eking from their tips to their stems and disappearing into the ground. When the natural colors of fire returned the world around the lone Berkant began moving once again.  

A rock bounced along the floor, skipped, hopped, and rolled into the foot of the Oracle cup. It came from the foot of one Cain Rose. He had on a black suit that once belonged to a friend. Shoes even made the same *tip, tap, tip, tap* as the ginger god approached with a folded up slip in his hand.

"Oracle, Oracle, in the cup." He flicked the small parcel into its flames, the fire dancing in his eyes to the chant. "Someone's gonna get fucked up."

The secret? When Cain was young, he killed the queen of Sunai. As a result, he was cursed to kill the last of his dwindling race. It is the largest mark of shame he bears and he tells no one.

The question? An interesting tidbit Cain picked up from observing a party in Last Chance or something of the sort.

"Where is Feurerkönig?"

@Grubbistch

The Oracle thrived off the power of the occult; which is to say off hidden knowledge. When it asked for sacrifice, it was often provided meager little gems, chipped and cloudy, and so the answers it could provide were meager in turn. But this secret was a mighty focus, and through its lens the Oracle could peer far and wide.

The flames in Cain's cup spilleth over, consume the brim, ignite the air and flare up, wavering as if a thing alive, as if the tongue of some great predator both massive and unseen. They give no heat, but bathe all in spectral, emerald light. The voice which follows simmers and smolders like the smokeless flame, and contain what he seeks.

"Even with so mmmmm succulent a secret, my eye can see only so far. He flees west to escape the clutches of Terrenus but the arm of the military is long and reaches over the sea, grabs hold of his vessel, holds him fast. He escapes justice by fleeing deeper still; my last image of him is in the arcane east.

"But if I turn my eye future-ward I see that your quarry will come to you . . . in the kingdom you have built up and will fell."

@amenities